www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another D.C. murder victim: Cynthia Rodgers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: Another D.C. murder victim: Cynthia Rodgers Reply with quote

I was reading Benn's posts on WC Site about Joyce Chiang and other murder victims whose cases remain unsolved.

Here is another - Cynthia Rodgers disappeared on Super Bowl day 1989 (Jan. 22) and was found dead five days later - this was fairly soon after the 101st Congress started (Jan. 3) - maybe the time frame is too small for Condit to be suspect here?

But note the age - 27 years - presumably dark hair (she was black). Sounds like she was petite. She lived near Pennsylvania Avenue and spent a lot of time at the National Arboretum in Northeast Washington (not far from Gary's condo - did he have it at that time?)

DNA evidence is also available in this case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This story originally aired on July 29, 2001 and has not been updated.
www.fox5dc.com

Police in Prince George's County are trying to solve a murder committed in 1989 where a 27 year old biologist was beaten and strangled.
But Cynthia Rodgers was just one of several young black women killed in the area and her murder barely made news.
Twelve years after her daughter was killed Rosia Rodgers still agonizes over the unsolved case and what it's done to her family.
Rosia Rodgers, Cynthia's Mother: My son is so angry. Now, I'm angry... I'm angry. First... I'm angry. I'm so angry sometimes... ahhh I just want to hit something yah know?
Cynthia Rodgers had so much going for her. A college graduate and a great job as a biologist. Cynthia was studying to be a doctor when her life was cut short at 27.
Her aunt says she was a free spirit.
Mildred Page, Cynthia's Aunt: Cynthia was an unusual little girl...little person...she is...she wasn't wild...she didn't go to a lot of parties she didn't go to clubs...Cynthia watched birds and she sewed.
One of her favorite places was the National Arboretum in Northeast where she spent hours looking at flowers and all of the birds.
The last time anyone heard from Cynthia Rodgers was early on the morning of Super Bowl Sunday 1989 when her sister in law called to cancel dinner plans scheduled for here at Cynthia's apartment in Forestville for later in the day...police and her family believe she then set out on foot for the local Safeway and that's when she met her attacker.
Even though it was cold outside, Cynthia often walked or rode her bike to the grocery store and sometimes took a certain path.
When Cynthia didn't show up for work the next day, her family started looking for her and found an eerie scene at her apartment.
And when they went in there was a glass broken on the coffee table but her purse was on the table. Also her keys were on the table and nothing else appeared to have been disturbed.
In fact the Sunday paper was still on the doorstep.
Five days later her badly beaten body was found on a footpath near Pennsylvania Avenue, less than a mile from her Home.
A passerby coming down this path discovered what appeared to be a female and obviously deceased. That passerby called to her got no response, and he immediately ran and called 911.
Cynthia's family believes she was first abducted and held somewhere against her will before being dumped along the path.
Lt. Mike McQuillan, Prince George's Co. Police: Was killed right here? It's very hard to determine that. Whether the actual beating and strangulation occurred here or whether she was dumped. That, we still haven't been able to determine.
Police say they have had numerous good leads in the case over the years and even looked to see if Cynthia's murder could be linked to the murders of several other young black women in the area, but nothing has panned out.
Still, there is one very good clue that's keeping hope alive.
Through the course of the investigation DNA evidence has been recovered. That evidence is still being analyzed and entered into data banks all over the country.
The DNA process only started this year, after Cynthia's cousin decided to push police into action.
Dawn Page, Cynthia's Cousin: I felt like the Police needed a bit more motivation. It seems as though in watching TV and seeing a lot of other cases, family members and just other people motivated the police to actually do testing or you know take extra steps needed to solve cases.
DNA may be the best lead but it's not the only way police may ultimately solve the case.
Someone out here knows who killed Cynthia Rodgers. Someone knows when it happened. They know how. They know where. And that someone brags. That's one of the ways that Police do solve these crimes. Somebody brags about it. Lt. Mike McQuillan, Prince George's Co. Police: Well not only bragging but people ultimately get a conscience. Just in general conversation someone might say they know who did this. That's what we're looking for.
Rosia Rodgers, Cynthia's Mother: I think I would just want to know why. I want to see the person who did this. I want to look at him and see them and I wish they would find out who did this so we could put some closure behind us.
Closure for a family that's waited for more than a decade.
If you know anything about this crime or think you can help investigators, you're asked to call Prince George's County Police.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jane, there's dozens of unsolved murders of women in the DC area between January 1989 and May 2001, most of them black. Making a case for Joyce Chiang is going to be difficult enough. Start throwing in additional unsolved murders of woman and all you do is dilute credibility. We'll be lucky to include a background on Joyce Chiang in a way that doesn't hurt our credibility. Lucky, and a lot of hard work.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that it was a relatively old case that the local Washington station probably felt was somewhat similar to the Levy case, since they decided to rehash it July 29, 2001.

It says the police tried unsuccessfully to tie the case to other murders of black women. I wonder whether they compared the DNA from this case to DNA available from non-black murder cases?
rd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But Cynthia Rodgers was just one of several young black women killed in the area and her murder barely made news. "

This is the point, and this is something that we have to address. It's one of the main reasons DC police didn't want to investigate this case, the other being that they would be biting the hand that feeds them.

Also, let's find that article where the DC police protested working the case. Mix that in with them refusing help from Stanislaus County detectives and search assistance that was offered with dogs, and we have something that the public needs to know about.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd and jane

I don't really know where I, or anyone else, is supposed to post here. I was interested in those murder cases that I posted that at least two girls had the same dna evidence, same killer I guess.

I hope they get their dna network going so that they can easily check everyone out that should be checked out.

I don't know where the article on this question is, but I was thinking about the dna evidence found in Condit's apartment. Condit told AMS about a possible party involving her and other men. The names of those men might be very important. Whether the police will ever check out the dna or not we may never know. There is too much politics and political correctness here.

Maybe technology will beat the politics involved. dna will begin to become like fingerprints, and then it will be fairly hard to let politics dictate an investigation.

One story I read some time ago but did not save said that in the past four years four interns have been murdered in Washington. All four of the interns mentioned were from California. I am wondering if Condit could be involved with the four women in some way, not necessarily dating them but having a connection to them in some other way.

I would not say all of this on the open WC forum. A guy who has fooled around like he has may have some other bad habits also. I don't know what they might be, unless they had something to do with making additional income, or perhaps in doing favors for people with influence. Those people at the top all start doing favors for each other.

benn
benn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> Mary Mahoney, who interned for Doris Matsui. Doris Matsui was the White House official responsible for liaison with the Asian-American community. Joyce Chiang INS Attorney was involved in Asian-American legal issues also. Mary was later killed in a Starbucks "robbery"? She worked there as assistant Manager, after leaving her internship.<<<

Doris Matsui mentioned above appears to be the wife of my Congressman, Robert Matsui.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, benn. Right here in Latest News is where we do all the posting about anything, and yeah, sometimes stuff we wouldn't post in public. Just keep the ideas flowing. It'll lead to something, such as jane's post reminding us that the DC police didn't want to spend more time on Chandra's murder because she was white and there were many black girls missing and murdered as well.

"Condit told AMS about a possible party involving her and other men."

I've posted pretty extensively on this, benn. You have misconstrued the phone sex fantasy statement from Condit to Anne Marie. Granted, Robinson has muddied the waters for apparently his goal of writing a book, but the fantasy statement is fairly clear. I just don't know whether Condit was into voyerism or, heaven forbid, a group of men having sex with her, which is just incomprehensible for him to suggest to her.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know that AMS was frightened about one (or more?) of Condit's suggestions - that she felt it could by physically dangerous. Fantasies aren't physically dangerous.
rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was frightened by the fantasy. If you're suggesting that it was not a fantasy, it was Anne Marie that said Condit said this during "one way" phone sex. That's where he's fantasizing and getting off on it. Him talking like that scared her, but not so much that she broke up with him.

My memory is hazy on how much detail is provided in the news article on the timing of when this happened. I will have to check that we have this article and find it if we don't. My recollection is that possibly this was even after Chandra disappeared, and she never ended up seeing Condit again. I'll find the exact wording.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd

Would you have a secret meeting with Condit? Suppose he wrote to you, I have something important to tell you. Don't bring your ID with you.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhhh, no, I sure wouldn't benn. Of course Condit wouldn't have been that blunt with a girlfriend. The secrecy is cloaked in intrigue. It's more like cloak and dagger than "meet me in secret, and don't bring your id." I mean, that'd scare the dickens out of anybody.

It's all part of how you indoctrinate someone into your world. There are reasons for everything, and they all stem from the intrigue of secrecy. No one must know about us. But then she disappears, and no one knows about them.

It does make sense in a strange sort of way, and is part of the mystique for these women of dating a powerful Congressman. But then they trusted him.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried to log onto WC and could not get on. My Netscape told me there was an internal error. Now it tells me there is no longer a site available. I tried Internet Explorer. It was the first one to tell me the site had closed down.

Or maybe they closed me down, but I don't think so. I had not given a password.

benn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: