www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attempting fisheye distortion correction on image 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Attempting fisheye distortion correction on image 2 Reply with quote

I applied Imadio Fisheye-Hemi plugin correction to image 2. There are 3 modes, from more severe to lesser fisheye effects, and I have examples of applying the first most severe correction.

The results are not the normal desired output of this plugin. The intent is to have warped images straightened out. What we have in this test is warping the rest of the image to more normalize the center. It gives us a different more proportional view of the POI.

I will tell you that this first test is not what we want. The software assumes a fisheye stretched to the sides. The original surveillance stills aren't stretched to the sides, they are stetched at the top and bottom from the center. The railings are perfectly straight for example. So this plugin is trying to unwarp but warps it instead because it was straight.

However it is somewhat helpful as it crunches the POI down to more normal proportion. I will display these horizon fisheye corrections but I will attempt to make the plugin unwarp top to bottom instead of side to side and display those when I do.

Here I will display image 2 original and the side to side fisheye correction. Instead of removing fisheye warp from most of the image, it introduces it as it straightens out the center where the POI is.

Nancy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I don't see any significant difference.

Maybe a slightly less-hunched upper body, but an even larger foot.
Markybug

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a different aspect, could the footwear be not black ? Ie maybe they are hightop sneakers , like converse or vans ?
Nancy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markybug wrote:
On a different aspect, could the footwear be not black ? Ie maybe they are hightop sneakers , like converse or vans ?
I think the majority opinion is that they are black. Maybe RD will patiently explain that for us. :)

You make a point I agree with by mentioning hightops. Here is something that seems a possibility from Converse:

[-img]http://i64.tinypic.com/16lwrp1.jpg[-/img] https://www.converse.com/shop/p/chuck-taylor-all-star-leather-high-top-unisex-shoe/135251MP.html?dwvar_135251MP_color=black%20mono&styleNo=135251C&cgid=mens-high-top-shoes

Here is RD's foot blow-up. I think the jaggedness that appears as part of the bottom of the sole may be caused by his foot lining up perfectly with that chain running diagonally across the fence gate. Also, I do admit that in the blow-up, it looks as if his shoes are below his ankle bone. However, sometimes when I'm looking at other photos, all I can think of is that guy is wearing high-top black sneakers:

http://www.justiceforchandra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=25937#25937

Here is an image RD posted back in 2009 to help us understand how misleading colors may be and his comment is included in the link:

http://www.justiceforchandra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=32089#32089

Now I'm kind of on a roll here, so I'll add the two below. I'm sure we have all seen these recently, but it might be good to have them all on the same page, so to speak. The blog at the link has an interesting discussion on them, as well.

https://crimesquid.com/2017/08/21/the-jennifer-kesse-suspect-probably-wasnt-wearing-a-white-shirt-and-khakis/

I have one more to add. I went to all the trouble to dig it up, so I might as well get it in here even though it is off-topic to the rest of my comment. It's the POI just getting out of Jennifer's car. My only point is that I think he is a tall, normally built male--nothing hunched-backed or odd about his physical appearance. (Today, I think I see some strapping across his back).

[-img]http://i65.tinypic.com/1z4g5s8.jpg[-/img] AT approximately 3.25: https://video.foxnews.com/v/3642478584001/#sp=show-clips
rd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, really excellent points. First I agree Marky that even the scrunched down first image doesn't change the proportions much if any. I guess more of a visual effect of the warping and shrinking the center that gave some possibility to more normal proportions. But yes the leg is still longer and the foot still bigger. The "wrong" fisheye correction didn't help at all.

As to color of shoe, what infrared during daylight does is flood the image with light from a range we don't see, the infrared spectrum. This flooding of light lightens some objects. I'm not sure if it can blacken anything.

I won't use the term "darken" here because in the side by side Nancy posted above the light colored cabinets/bins are greenish which technically looks darker, but still a light colored green. You have a dark colored shirt/sweater which is a light gray, some shades of red in the other picture that render white, etc.

Theoretically there might be something that doesn't reflect infrared, but during the day there is also normal light reflection, so the infrared just wouldn't have any effect.

The shoes I believe to be bike riding shoes, like I posted as an example in POI Blowups below the shoe, that match not only the ridged tread but even the bubbled surface. It is possible a black surface would render that way, but just so happens the bubble patterns appear on the shoe just as pictured with the matching bike riding shoe. And that shoe is one we expect and see all the time, not a high ankle top shoe. Seems clear in the picture it is a low ankle shoe.

Also interestinig about looking like a strap on the back, Nancy. When I looked at it a few years ago (a decade later than the blowups of the still images), that's what I saw. It looked to me like he got out of the car and put a backpack on, and of course I saw in the blowups some equipment on his back. Straps / connector type apparatus visible on the very back.

That is above and beyond whatever strapping is on his thigh. I remain amazed over a decade later that all this strapping and equipment is completely ignored as far too inconvenient for everyone to deal with.

I attempted a vertical fisheye correction by turning the picture sideways. Made no difference. I'll look into it further.

Reading further from the Imadio page:
https://imadio.com/products/prodpage_hemi.aspx

A fisheye projection also bends any straight line that does not pass through the optical center. Thus a person appears very tall and thin on the edge of a fisheye image and is bent into a half-moon shape.

Although the POI is at the center of the still we were given. this very much seesm to describe the visual effect on the POI. And the real problem is that it isn't all the way up and down. The effect takes off from the waist down, growing in effect until the shoe is a clown sized shoe.

and also, this definition from the page of what we are dealing with:

Pincushion Distortion:

Pincushion distortion is the opposite of barrel distortion. The magnification of the image increases with increasing distance from the optical axis. This effect typically occurs with low end or poor telephoto lenses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: