www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

True Crime With Aphrodite Jones - Chandra Levy case
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigsky

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: True Crime With Aphrodite Jones - Chandra Levy case Reply with quote

May 13, 10:00 pm EDT on ID (Investigation Discovery) channel.

I didn't even know I get this channel and I have never watched this show. I have read that among the persons interviewed are the two Washington Post journalists who co-authored the series. This may be little more than a promo for their book, but I guess I'll check it out unless I forget.
rd

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, sigsky. I couldn't find ID on a Comcast list of channels but finally found going through the channels on my tv channel selector carefully. Sure enough, it says ID. I had no idea it was a True Crime channel.

On the other hand, I don't watch any True Crime, Court TV, etc. I just don't have the time.

I caught most of it, I think. It was well after 10 before I started looking for it, and took awhile to find it, plus I got sidetracked on a couple of channels while looking. Yet when I found it and clicked on it, as if I hadn't missed anything. Pretty scary if I had that they were still droning on on the same banal statements 30 to 40 minutes later. Maybe it's a half hour clip on Chandra and it was near the beginning, I don't know.

Well, no reason to beat around the bush. This was as if it was a Soviet Union level political education film. The editing was hilarious. You know those movies where the bad guy takes a video like a news clip and re-edits it to make the person appear to be completely opposite of original video?

That's the way this was edited. Just absolutely hilarious, like watching Nancy Grace and those other cable shows where they loop the same videos over and over. I would have to be restrained and drugged to watch those shows.

But it's not the looping videos Nancy Grace style that's hilarious in this little piece on Guandique, oh excuse me, allegedly on Chandra Levy. It's the videos they loop with what they are saying. I swear a totalitarian regime would love these people to do their propaganda films for them.

The video background clips over the narrator's voice intoning over and over how everyone missed that Guandique was guilty of murdering Chandra were disjointed views of the No Horse Trail above where Chandra was found. Nothing one could put in persepctive, nor see or make sense of anything. Just flashes of dirt this way, then a flash of leaves that way, then a flash of dirt this way, then a flash of leaves that way, then... oops, there I am looping along with them. Sorry about that.

One problem is that they describe Guandique's assaults on Halle Shilling and Christy Weigand while looping the disjointed views of the dense forest where Chandra was found, intoning the words "deeper and deeper into the woods" over and over, like hypnosis or something. I mean these guys are a work of art.

The problem is that the assaults were down along Beach Drive, one well down the road near Pierce Mill. The women weren't running deep into the woods, they were running along Beach Drive, albeit one was hidden from traffic by bushes, scared to death while being assaulted but close to the road.

Now I've written of these horrible assaults in Chapter Guandique, and how he deserved every day of his ten year federal prison sentence. I have only sympathy for Halle and Christy, admiration in their fight to survive, and disgust in our criminal system, disgust and solutions I also addressed in chapter Woman Missing at end of book.

But no amount of spin makes this up on Ridge Road and out horse trails and no horse paths. It is entirely different, but these propaganda pieces for the government by the Washington Post and this Jennings Production true crime show blur it all together, just as they hope to blur it all together for a couple of weeks in front of a jury and get a quick gulty verdict. They could present this Chandra Levy show as their prosecution, they really couldn't do any better.

Concerning Guandique, an interesting propaganda tidbit is that they refer to him as a drifter. Actually he lived about two or three miles away up Beach Drive. Yes, he's an illegal immigrant, but are these media spinmeisters allowed to call anyone a drifter even if they have lived up the road for a couple of years? Can we call the dufus narrator or the host Aprohrodite Jones a drifter because she travels around doing these crime shows? It's just as accurate, or inaccurate, as I like to say about these propaganda spinmeisters.

But the main attraction of this piece was some jackass named Jack Barrett, chief of DC detectives at the time for what passed as an investigation back in 2001. He is someone I despised back then as head of the despicable activity they called an investigation, and he didn't endear himself any more to me in this piece. He is a worthless piece of work himself.

He says they were focused on Condit trying to prove a negative, in other words, that Condit didn't do it. They were focused on trying to clear him and get the obsessed reporters off their backs, that part is true. But there was no proving part about it.

He minimizes the questioning and lie detector test of Guandique back then, using phrases that imply Guandique wasn't really investigated and questioned, something they truly wish hadn't happened as it makes it so inconvenient to deal with, so basically mumble about it and act like it didn't happen.

Barrett cites the party line in the show that Guandique's lie detector test was "inconclusive". This is a blatant lie. The results were given back then as:

In September 2001, the inmate failed a polygraph
test, also administered through an interpreter.
Guandique, who denied involvement in the Levy case,
passed, the sources said, and authorities felt
comfortable that he was not their man.

Horwitz, Sari and Allan Lengel. “Police Take New Look at Man as Potential
Suspect in Levy Case.” Washington Post 29 Sept. 2002.

What's interesting is that Barrett stated clearly that Guandique was not polygraphed until February, 2002, something Horwitz points out now also but reported back then that it was in September 2001. I'm not sure what they think they're accomplishing by saying that. Like the polygraph was less of a test when given in February? Guandique passed it, the cellmate accuser failed his, as well we would expect given that everything he said about a knife Guandique was supposed to have said he used turned out later to be a fabrication when no indication of use of a knife was found.

But it seems to be important to them in their spinbattle against history. I have no doubt it's true. September is when Guandique got sentenced to ten years, but they say it almost like a conspiracy, just listen to them emphasize "not polygraphed until February" (tilt head, nod knowingly). I guess it's a spinmeister thing.

The "inconclusive" spin from DC concerning Guandique's polygraph results didn't come about until later when Geragos was trying to take the heat off Condit. Of course it was a lot of anonymous sources behind it, these people don't have the integrity to have a name behind their attacks and the reporters doing their dirty work don't have the integrity to say what they're doing, but the gist of it was that Geragos and whoever in the DC political establishment that's behind this campaign was trying to undermine Gaundique's passed polygraph by complaining that a Spanish interpreter was used, therefore results must have been inconclusive.

Problem is, as said in the press at the time by people who hadn't got the memo, that using Spanish interpreters for polygraph test is standard procedure. If Guandique's passed test results are inconclusive, and "wink wink" his cellmate confessor's failed test results are inconclusive, then every polygraph given by the Federal government to Spanish speaking people is inconclusive, except for the rarer occasions when they have a bilingual polygraph operator giving the test.

Now defense lawyers are going to argue that all polygraph test results are inconclusive all the time, that isn't the point here. The point is that Guandique's test results were later dismissed as inconclusive because a Federal governent decided they didn't like it. It was inconvenient.

And we know what happens to inconvenient people. They disappear.

Or at least inconvenient women like Chandra do.

rd

Background and analysis:

Washington Post's Higham and Horwitz' Book

Guandique Trial Postponed, New charges to come!

Guandique Murder Analysis

Prosecutor seeks life sentence for Guandique

Guandique's Defense

Guandique indicted by DC federal grand jury

Guandique to be charged with Chandra's Murder Feb.20/09

Washington Post investigation of Chandra Levy cold case

Murder on a Horse Trail Chapter 24. Guandique

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

Track offenders with GPS recorders!

www.justiceforchandra.com home page
sigsky

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting rd, I ended up taping the show and watching it this morning. You didn't miss anything important, the first 40 minutes was practically all background information with some interesting new Levy home videos.

At one point Michael Doyle, I think, refers to a spot on the horse trail "where Chandra was attacked" as if that has been established. Doyle usually is careful not to theorize so maybe it was Barrett. I was also offended by the video of the horse trail running while they discuss the two attacks for which Guandique was convicted. I was surprised also at the polygraph being referred to as inconclusive. I thought maybe there was more than one polygraph but apparently not. Of course the Feb 2002 polygraph was a response to the failed polygraph of the DC jail inmate which was Nov 2001, 2 months after he tells police that Guandique admitted killing Chandra. The wheels of justice do indeed turn slowly.

At the very end someone says Chandra was raped and murdered. Is there any proof of rape other than the condition of the clothing? I will have to go back and check that. I thought it was an entertaining hour despite its flaws.
rd

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I agree with your take on it, sigsky. No, there is no possible way of knowing if she was raped and only can say she was probably strangled, due to lack of any information other than the way her tights were tied at end.

Inflammatory statements made as fait accompli is a big part of the government and their media helpers attempt to build momentum for a conviction. I'm being tactful today.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigsky, here is a photo of Michael Doyle - do you think it was him speaking?
jane

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Mike Doyle's article in the Fresno Bee (fair use, excerpt)
    A judge on Friday refused to move the trial of the man accused of killing one-time intern Chandra Levy, though he acknowledged worries that pretrial publicity could taint jurors....

....In a day of procedural defeats for accused killer Ingmar Guandique, Fisher also rejected defense efforts to prescreen the testimony of jailhouse informants. Defense attorneys had asked for special hearings to determine how trustworthy the informants might be....
http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/05/14/1933922/chandra-levy-trial-to-stay-in.html
rd

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, jane, no surprises there. Now that the trial is in a temperate month of October I'm satisfied on ability to examine crime scene but the original government fast track for two weeks in late January- early February had to be derailed with whatever it took to try to make a real trial out of it.

Concerning request for special hearing on pre-screening the prison "cellmate confessions", I really liike this statement from Judge Fisher:

"I don't really see the basis for such a hearing," Fisher said. "The reliability of the witnesses will be tested in the cross-examination."

rd
sigsky

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane,

I reviewed the tape that I made of the show and the statement referring to the spot where Chandra was attacked was made by Scott Higham, the co-author of the Post series. I regret not checking this before my earlier post. The statement about Chandra being raped and murdered was made by a male narrator, not Aphrodite Jones.
rd

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that clarification, sigsky. You're right, Michael Doyle is the gold standard in factual, knowledgaeable, unbiased reporting on the Chandra Levy case.

I would not have been surprised if it was Barrett, though. That is what the DC police / prosecutors are claiming, and where Higham is getting the statement, only he is presenting it as fact when it isn't. It isn't even a viable theory, but of course would accurately be reported as the DC police / prosecution contention.

Problem is, this show isn't reporting and reporters shouldn't be adding legitimacy to police / prosecution theories by re-enacting as fact. They do this as book authors on leave from the Washington Post but identified as Washington Post reporters, making it all reported as fact to the viewer.

I will also add that Allan Lengel of the Washington Post was a similar respected source of factual, unbiased reporting in the day, right up there with Michael Doyle.

Readers get enough relevant context with factual, unbiased reporting to be more than just informed with latest public statements. I thank Michael and Allan for all the great informative reporting they've done on this case.

rd
Rainbow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Aphrodite Jones-Chandra Levy Case-Closure? Reply with quote

Rainbow

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:22 pm Post subject: Aphrodite Jones-Chandra Levy Case-Closure At Last?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!
Did anyone see this show on last Sunday evening, April 3, 2011?
Moved from Jack Barrett thread

Investigation Discovery-True Crime with Aphrodite Jones

The Chandra Levy Case-Closure at Last

http://investigation.discovery.com/videos/true-crime-with-aphrodite-jones-media-criticism-the-levy-case.html
rd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Rainbow. I assume it's a re-run of what we discussed previously, where I got dizzy as they rocked the camera up and down showing up in the trees, down the hill, up into the trees, down the hill, up into... you get the idea.

And that blasted worthless DC cop Barrett telling his lies.

Don't get me started on that bunch of clowns.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the one they aired a few months back, Rainbow - I did see it then.
Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Closure? Reply with quote

I think it might be a follow-up piece to that one. Anyway, I didn't know that Jack Barett had previously worked for the FBI. That explains how the Justice Department communicated with the D.C. Police. Detective Larry Kennedy, former D.C. homicide detective who was assigned to the original case, had a completely different perspective on the case.
There was good footage of Chandra and the Levy family. It's too bad the police didn't choose to share this footage with potential eye-witnesses from the original investigation. And, what's more, they never showed said potential eye-witnesses a photo or sketch of Chandra's tatoo. I wonder why. . .
sigsky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: TLC Sets Date for Chandra Levy Docudrama Reply with quote

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tlc-sets-date-chandra-levy-177308

Wasn't sure where to put this...maybe it is worthy of it's own thread.

I guess I think the show will be predictable; absolute exculpation for GC and absolute guilt for IG. But I will certainly watch it nonetheless and undoubtly have some incredibly enlightening comments.
rd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, with Horwitz involved it'll be all about the heroic reporting of the Washington Post laying as much misinformation on the public as necessary for the Justice Dept.

The main theme will be how could we have been so wrong to bother the congressman.

We should have known that someone that doesn't jog was jogging up and down the highest hill in DC and someone who passed a lie detector test about her murder actually didn't pass it, or whatever.

Yeah, how could we be so wrong.

People deserve the truth in this story. At least the truth we know.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: