www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guandique trial goes to jury
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and we see that:

the exhibits that were admitted into evidence

as evidence they may consider.

thanks!
rd
jane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was falliing into thinking of evidence as exhibits - but of course, evidence is also sworn testimony.

The instructions to the jury are more extensive than the items I posted above - http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-justice/2010/11/chandra-levy-verdict-read-the-jury-instructions-verdict-form-4796.html
jane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-justice/2010/11/chandra-levy-trial-thursday-s-media-roundup-of-jury-deliberation-coverage-4817.html

excerpt: "....TBD's favorite [evidence] squabble of the day [Wednesday, Nov. 17]— an exchange over whether to leave divider tabs in an evidence binder...."

Now, let me guess. Who wanted the divider tabs there to help the jurors find what they're looking for? And who wanted them removed?
jane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tp://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/chandra-levy/levy-deliberations-begin.html
excerpt:
....Jurors were to reconvene at 9:30 a.m., but problems with security procedures at D. C Superior Court created long delays for hundreds of people arriving at the courthouse....
laskipper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Jury heads home for the day... Reply with quote

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local-breaking-news/crime-and-public-safety/chandra-levy-jury-heads-home-f.html

Chandra Levy jury heads home for the day
By Washington Post editors

The jury in the trial of Ingmar Guandique, charged with killing Chandra Levy in 2001, has gone home for the day, Crime Scene reports. They will reconvene and continue deliberations Thursday morning.

For more on the trial visit Crime Scene.

So the jury goes home every day? That could be a problem, depending on media coverage/comments.

OTH, it could be a bonus given the latest go-round with prosecutors and the fact that they got
caught in their own web of deception re: the letter. :)

ls
jane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Levy_Trial_Deliberations_Go_Into_Second_Day-108906534.html
excerpt:
    ....At one point, they sent a note to the judge, asking for a defense exhibit -- it was a picture of Guandique taken by his girlfriend. It shows the defendant in Rock Creek Park at around the time Levy went missing....

jane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2123514
excerpt:
    New security measures at D.C. Superior Court prevented jurors from starting their second day of deliberations until nearly 10:30 a.m. Thursday....

....Part of the delay was due to new X-ray machines that are more sensitive.

Security was also far more strict about searching people as they enter the building....

....Guandique....faces life in prison if convicted of first-degree murder in the Levy case, but the jury could find him guilty of second-degree murder, which would mean a sentence of up to 40 years.

Guandique also faces eventual deportation -- unless he receives a life sentence -- because he is an illegal alien from El Salvador. He will be deported even if acquitted in the case.

rd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture is even better than the non-existant but should exist May 7 mug shot. This is unbelievable. The picture was taken by Guandique's girlfriend in Rock Creek Park in May 2001. It was to check for facial injuries even more than the tattoos.

The picture puts a lie to the landlady claims of memorable facial injuries on May 1, it puts a lie to the DC prosecutors claims of Guandique the heavily tattooed gangbanger, it does so so clearly I can't believe the government didn't make it disappear. There must of been copies that got out in 2001 or 2002 and the horse is out of the barn.

I'll bet Haines was practically frothing at the mouth trying to keep the jury from seeing it.

rd
lector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jane wrote:
I hope you're right, rd.

This may sound stupid, but I am thinkiing about a spokespersons club (similar to Dale Carnegie program) I used to attend where there were two awards given out each month - best speaker and most improved speaker. I noticed that the most improved speaker award always went, not to the most improved speaker but to the second best speaker. Sometimes people don't really think clearly when assigning labels - but then, when it's a murder verdict there should be careful thought, I hope.

That's an interesting point about "most improved."

My one experience in a jury room, on a multiple incident assault / attempted murder trial, left me very impressed with how clearly 10 out of 12 of my fellow citizens were able to think. I didn't expect that & was impressed.

(I think I've mentioned this before & know that others have had opposite experiences on juries. So who knows.)
Rainbow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish the prosecution would drop all of the charges. Would that still be possible at this point?

I also wish that everyone who knows what "really" happened would stop behaving cowardly and come forward.
jane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbow, although the prosecution has constantly been dropping charges along the way, I doubt very much they would drop all charges at this point - they've come this far and there's a chance the jury will find Guandique guilty (not a good one, IMO, but a chance.)

I wonder how things are going with the jury? I imagine they are anxious to finish before the weekend if possible. Do you think it's a situation where there's agreement except for one holdout? Does anyone know how it is in DC? Do they need unanimity?
jane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-justice/2010/11/chandra-levy-verdict-read-the-jury-instructions-verdict-form-4796.html
    Instruction 2.405 UNANIMITY

Your verdict must represent the considered judgment of each juror, and in order to return a verdict, each juror must agree on the verdict. Your verdict as to each charge of first degree felony murder and, where appropriate, the lesser included offense of second degree murder must be unanimous.

laskipper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/18/2449881/jurors-in-levy-case-finish-2nd.html

Jurors in Levy case finish 2nd day of deliberations without reaching verdict
By MICHAEL DOYLE
McClatchy Newspapers

excerpt:

Jurors deliberated for about six hours Thursday but came to no conclusion in the trial of the man accused of killing Chandra Levy.

ls
Rainbow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Patterning Reply with quote

From the Doyle article Skipper cited above:

Quote:
Jurors learned of the attacks during the trial, and about the fact that Guandique had been sentenced for them, but they did not learn about specifics.

This is an interesting statement. The prosecution maintains that the Chandra Levy murder case is consistent with the pattern of Guandique's jogger attacks. However, the jurors didn't learn about the specifics???
sigsky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: What are they talking about? Reply with quote

I don't know anything about jury deliberation having only served on a jury involving a contested traffic violation, but I can't imagine what is going on in that room. 12 hours now with no decision. Understandable for a complex case, but this one is so simple! Surely we will get a decision tomorrow ("Quit calling me Shirley") ;-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: