www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Susan Powell-Missing-Utah-12/6/09 Case File
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh is selling the house and moving to Washington. Hum, why hang around when your wife is missing......

Goz
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Susan missing almost two months now, this excellent report from Isabelle Zehnder of the Seattle Headlines Examiner interviewing Susan's friend who was the last person other than her silent ex husband to see her before she disappeared.

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m1d30-JoVonna-Owings-clears-up-a-misconception-about-the-day-Susan-Powell-disappeared

JoVonna Owings clears up a misconception about the day Susan Powell disappeared
Isabelle Zehnder
Seattle Headlines Examiner
January 30, 2010

Here are some highlights from the interview:

- Silent ex Josh spent four hours, from about noon to 4 pm, preparing a brunch of scrambled eggs and pancakes. He served each person himself, handing each person, Susan, her friend JoVonna, and their two sons, a prepared plate of food.

- Susan immediately became tired and had to go take a nap, even though she and JoVonna had been working together on yarn. She was not sick and didn't say she was sick to her friend, but she had to lie down.

- JoVonna told Josh she would return later, and Josh said not to worry about it, Susan will not have time to work on it until she gets her next day off. Josh got rid of her friend before he got rid of Susan.

- A neighbor reported the Powell's car alarm went off for about two minutes at about 11 pm (reported elsewhere as 11:45 pm). There's probably two different views of what caused this; Susan trying to leave with her two sons after perhaps an argument not knowing that Josh had locked the van and primed it to alarm, or Josh messing with the van to disable the GPS / electronics to keep from being tracked where he drove that night, depending on whether one thinks this was a reaction to a confrontation or a planned disappearance, I guess.

As I commented awhile back, with those severely chapped hands, I believe he buried her that night and it will be even harder to find the grave by the time the snow melts.

Great article, give it a read.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Police Search Van Reply with quote

Police have searched Josh's van. If any information is made available, we will post the findings.

Fair Use
Police Search Van in Susan Powell Case
Monday February 1, 2010

By Charles Montaldo

Snip

Searching for any clues they can find, authorities have searched the minivan of the husband of a Utah mother missing since December 7. West Valley City police took Joshua Powell's van Friday afternoon and returned it to Susan Powell's husband Friday night.
Investigators would not comment on what kind of evidence they were looking for or if they found anything of significance.

Police impounded the van after obtaining a search warrant.

Snip

http://crime.about.com/b/2010/02/01/police-search-van-in-susan-powell-case.htm?nl=1
rd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricia on websleuths has posted this very interesting information about Josh Powell buying a large roll of plastic shrink wrap at a hardware store he frequented before Susan disappeared:

Was Josh Seen Buying A LARGE Amount of Shrink Wrap?
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95206

This is really interesting information. Thanks Tricia.

I'm sure there's a ton of details I haven't read, but my general reaction to the many comments (from others) about Powell being stupid, lazy, averse to getting his hands dirty, etc. is that you are misjudging this guy. Other than the going camping at midnight forgetting what night it was being the lamest alibi in the history of silent ex's, it and everything else he has done has unfortunately been quite effective.

So far what I have seen has very strong overtones of copying what Hans Reiser did in disappearing Nina Reiser (see Noted coder Hans Reiser arrested for wife's disappearance). Hans was also a programmer like Josh (as am I). There is also a strong overtone of Scott Peterson here as well. I don't doubt Powell planned this carefully.

The Saturday morning photog event with Josh getting himself in pictures with Susan using his camera hung around his neck is to me carefully staged for the planned disappearance. That just cries out as being obviously staged for his benefit.

I also think that taking anything he did after returning home as anything but a decoy is a mistake. He would expect that the police would be examining everything he did. With both the camping trip midnight to Monday excursion, and then the rental car excursion, I believe he was carving out as wide an area as possible to make searching as difficult as possible.

That would also be the reason for the plastic wrap in my opinion, both to keep any forensic evidence being left in their SUV and to make it as difficult as possible to detect her body. With the very chapped hands and the long amount of time gone during the time Susan disappeared, and with his landscaping orientation, I'm pretty sure he buried her just as Hans did.

Concerning some questions about cremating Susan, in addition to the despicable crime of Steven Avery cremating Teresa Halbach in his Wisconsin auto salvage yard (see Teresa Halbach - Oct.31-05- Wisconsin), which one can understand would be harder to detect, there's the unbelievably sad cremation of the pregnant Maria Lauterbach by Cesar Laurean in his backyard in North Carolina off base housing (see 20 year old pregnant marine Maria Lauterbach disappears). The remains of Maria were found in a pit in Laurean's back yard.

Concerning legitimate use of the plastic shrink wrap, in a former life when I still owned a house :P I kept plastic sheeting around for among other things landscaping, to lay under wood chips, gravel, stones, etc. to keep weeds from growing up through. So obviously is something he could be buying legitimately and not a smoking gun, but much more effective than a smoking gun, as we have found out all too well from these silent ex's.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed my view on this slimbag now RD. He is not stupid and she is buried deep, changed my org. thoughts. Good find too on the plastic wrap. I don't think it was an innocent buy.

I'm sure we will have our eyes on this case till it is solved.

Good day

Goz
rd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that's what I'm thinking, goz. I don't think there's been such a blatant disappearance ever. He basically has the attitude that as long as he doesn't say anything he can't be convicted.

However, Hans Reiser and Sam Parker were convicted trying the same thing. But the police will search for a year first as they did with Teresa Parker. Silent ex Powell can stew silently all he wants, no one will forget Susan and go away.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnydee over on websleuths is reporting that a body was found in Hobble Creek Canyon Right Hand Fork, about 20 minutes from Provo.

Right Fork is in Uinta National Forest. If this is Susan I have a feeling he deliberately placed her in a national forest.

I hope this is an answer for Susan's family and loved ones. Seems awfully remote for a homeless person or something to be found dead.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

per Shelby Gifford on Friends and Family of Susan Powell on Facebook:

The body found near Hobblecreek Canyon this afternoon is NOT Susan per WVCPD. Thanks for your care and concern. Please pray for the family of the person found...
rd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw a news article on Susan's family holding a press conference. I had posted earlier that I was appalled that Powell did not let Susan use a computer in the home.

Well, that's nothing. When would she have time to use a computer, in addition being a mother of two, working full time, and forced to ride a bicycle to work seven miles each way back and forth to work near the airport. Are you kidding me?

If she used their family vehicle any other time, she had to get the keys from him and give them back to him. And it wouldn't be to go to the bank or an ATM. She was not allowed to know the pin number to their bank account. Just incredible.

Susan took the steps to set goals that she felt necessary for her to live her life and her children's lives as she believed. Was it an ultimatum to Powell? Yes, it was, but you can't compromise halfway on some things, things that are black and white. Powell was either going to continue being a recognized member of their church or he wasn't, and she insisted that he would be, and by a deadline, for their marriage to continue.

I think this is based on not wanting to break church vows without having a clear non-compliant church basis for doing so. Other women would have just thrown the bum out on general principle.

She'd be alive today if she had not tried to negotiate and deal with him over a protracted time to give him a chance and prove to her church and everyone who knew her she was only breaking the marriage when he refused to be compliant with the church.

rd

P.S. I am not basing this on any knowledge of church, just my opinion.
rd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Cox Powell's father is doing what her hisband isn't doing, he is in Utah getting debriefings on Susan's case, and went out to the campsite Powell told police he took his two young boys just before midnight on a Sunday evening in a howling snowstorm. Oh, and he was supposed to be at work the next morning.

ABC went along with Susan's father. You can read his comments that ABC reported, sad comments, and ending with:

He now firmly believes that whatever happened that night did not happen at Simpson Springs. "It confirms it," he said. "The only hard thing is thinking she could be out there somewhere ... in another place like this."

rd

Susan Cox Powell's father journeys to Simpson Springs
Reported by: Brent Hunsaker
ABC News
March 19, 2010

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/EXCLUSIVE-Susan-Cox-Powells-father-journeys-to/zxmSjMgi20ulIg0NMT-gGw.cspx
rd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a cement strip found out in the desert by volunteers searching for Susan. Someone asked for blowups to see the texture of the cement better. Here they are:

www.justiceforchandra.com/~rd/SusanPowellCementstrip.jpg
www.justiceforchandra.com/~rd/SusanPowellCementstrip3.jpg
www.justiceforchandra.com/~rd/SusanPowellCementstrip5.jpg

I enlarged 3 and 5 times larger. Browser will likely scale down, but if you save to your PC you should be able to see fully enlarged with any image software (I use the free or low cost Paint Shop Pro).

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He now firmly believes that whatever happened that night did not happen at Simpson Springs. "It confirms it," he said. "The only hard thing is thinking she could be out there somewhere ... in another place like this."

This really made me cry. I feel very sorry for the family of Susan, as I do for all families. Let us hope something will come from the cement strips.

Bless them.

Goz
rd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sheriff's department got out to the location to examine the cememt strip, goz, and found it was just a solid slab of cement, probaly from a cement truck driving emptying the last of his load.

But Powell was talking to a friend a year before Susan disappeared saying that a body would never be found in a mine shaft.

The friend, needless to say, was pretty dumbfounded. Reminds me of Condit telling his driver that his friends would help him make a body disappear.

It's not a coincidence to me that people that think about things like that are the silent ex when a woman disappears.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they think about things like this, who else would?

Thanks for the update.

Josh must have had this planned for a long time and she is buried too deep to be found for a long time. (IMO)

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Josh only suspect in Susan's disappearance, to me.. Reply with quote

From CNN Article
Fair Use
Stockbroker vanished; husband left town with kids
By Rupa Mikkilineni, Nancy Grace Producer
May 3, 2010 12:00 p.m. EDT

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/03/grace.coldcase.powell/index.html?npt=NP1

Just thought I would print this quote...

Quote:
West Valley police say Josh Powell is the only person they are looking at, but they are not calling him a suspect in his wife's disappearance. They say they have no physical evidence of foul play.

CNN called several times seeking comment from Josh Powell and his attorney, Scott Williams. The phone calls were not returned.

Police say they have been unable to confirm Powell's story about the camping trip. They searched the campground, but any potential evidence had been covered by heavy snow.

Goz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: