www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rdwrites iseries blog
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> www.rdwrites.com forum (part of www.justiceforchandra.com)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Responding to Timothy Prickett Morgan's column at IT Jungle:
http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh051010-story03.html
Let's Take Another Stab at Power7 Blade Bang for the Buck
by Timothy Prickett Morgan
May 10, 2010

Hey TPM, your untangling of the obscured IBM pricing is depressing. I listened carefully to IBM at COMMON, and asked a few questions myself.

They are 100% committed to the proposition that the i/OS eliminates need for as many IT personnel and that you will pay them instead of the personnel. It is built into everything they say and do, with code word "simplified" (as in their pricing - not).

It is a serious mistake they will take the AS/400 down with until they change their ways, which will assuredly be too late.

I can't imagine a person other than those who have grown to love the AS/400 and put up with all the name changes and other marketing nonsense buying into that particular sales pitch. But that's their sales pitch, and we will live or die by it.

They may believe it, but they will have a hard time converting new followers to pay IBM beaucoup for Power IBM i (or whatever their strange name of the day is) and sort of run on autopilot with some kind of link to IBM to turn on and off cores and automanage itself, paying IBM all the way. It's like an IBM marketing wet dream.

Of course there's some truth to it, but not to the extent of anyone believing IBM to pay extreme premiums for it. But that's what IBM's Total Cost ROI blah blah blah is all about, simply selling hope to C level execs that they won't need as many of those inscrutable IT people.

That is just so sad, when actually as I pointed out to them if OS/400 were written today by a Linux type group it would be considered revolutionary. Those inscrutable IT types would love it, and for the cost effectiveness, power, and security so would the C level execs even if they don't know what an object based OS or single level storage was.

Simplified. Pay us big bucks instead of big bucks scruffy IT people. That's what IBM is selling.

Very sad.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from systeminetwork Maxed Out blog:
http://blogs.systeminetwork.com/isnblogs/maxedout/2010/04/the_pros_and_cons_of_rational.html

david wrote:
I talked to an IBMer about the handlers ... and it's not a case that they may be difficult to write ... it's that they will be difficult to write.

When I mentioned the pricing issue ... I was told, by the same IBMer, that a lot of people argued against the price, but the higher ups made the decision.

david, thanks for that info about many IBM'ers arguing against the price but being overridden by higherups. That helps a little. My take is we have to add all the pieces together to get a final price, and IBM just keep making it more and more difficult and hence more unlikely.

As far as the will be difficult part, I guess a generic engine for converting any 5250 to a web page is not something everyone would want to write, but both with ProfoundUI and CGIDEV2 web page formats are set up ahead of time to fill in and output.

Other third parties already have generic screen to web page conversions. So I think a bit of the will be hard is thinking about the intended market of someone who would pay IBM to call a third party program for them. Yeah, they might not be inclined to write a CGIDEV2 program even though it's dead simple.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from systeminetwork Maxed Out, Bernard Hesford wrote:
WELL, I am amazed. Here we are with RPG-OA and nothing but "moans". Just embrace it and generate new and modernised Apps on your i. If you thought it would be "open source", you're wrong. Pay the money, it's not a fortune and simply get on with it. No wonder our i platform is dying, you're all the "superman teeshirt and Jesus sandle brigade". Get real ... and, get on with it. QED.

Bernard, I like IBM's aggressive new i marketing pitch. May I subscribe to the newsletter?

rd
rd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmarsh wrote:
Is a web based application that access a database the future?

No, it's the present.

Because of the shambles of busted economies of the world there is less paid development than there used to be, and web development replaced large amounts of terminal and client-server development of even that.

So it would seem that's the answer, but it isn't. Just as there is no longer a common RPG development, with virtually every potential employer having some unique and distinctive flavor of technologies that they want recent experience in down to the version number, it's just as bad in web development.

HTML, Javascript, and CSS are tossed out as the starting point because 1) it is, 2) it forms the core client side, and 3) you won't be coming back anytime soon asking what's next. But the variations on the client side alone mixed with every conceivable server side technology means you have next to no chance being that experienced developer in their particular development environment. Programming as a desired general skill doesn't even seem to exist anymore. It would seem we are all screwed.

And by variations of technologies I don't mean trivial things like Java and PHP, I mean variations of database SQL dialect, OS, libraries, middleware, and so much more, not to mention specific ERP's and their versions, such as terminal, client, or web based. And each employer wants a person recently experienced in their set of technologies. Or someone who charges 10 rupees an hour. whatever.

The biggest comfort zone is Windows development because of ubiquitness, standard Visual Studio VB and C#, and SQL Server SQL. Just like it used to be for us. Those days are long gone. But because it's so comfortable, everyone and their middle school brother is a Visual Studio developer.

The next biggest comfort zone is PHP because it's available free everywhere and relatively easy. But there's even more comfort zone developers and far less paid work.

After that, nothing is comfortable and getting access to and learning a set of skills that will land you a gig is worse odds than Powerball.

So that's my plan. Win the lottery. Plan B is write a website that you hope makes you a ton of money. In the process you'll learn enough and have something demonstratable enough that Plan C falls into place and you get a gig out of it.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomG wrote:
Is there anything like a Virtual System i Simulator that could be installed on a PC. Thus being able to make/compile RPG etc programs and SQL/DDL for DB2 in a system i simulation.

I am leaving town and will not have any internet access and was wondering if I could get a virtual system i on my laptop?

My guess is that ASNA is as close to systemi emulation running standalone as you can get, with their DB2/400 clone and support for RPG syntax. I've in the past output to an 80x25 character window to emulate DOS output, something like that might be reasonable to emulate some screen output.

The broadband cards (wireless modems) work anywhere a cell phone from that provider works. I've had a Sprint PCS card for many years now and it basically works everywhere. I don't stray that far from an internet connection every day to justify its cost everyday, but I've been in highly mobile situations over the years where its been my only internet connection. And of course it's invaluable on trips.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from systeminetwork forums:

Paul H wrote:
Supporting multiple UIs from a single set of source has been a common requirement of looksoftware customers , in particular ISVs who always seem to have customers who demand on going support for green screen support in addition to web or mobile UIs. We are building in this support into our ROA handler, so that a single existing codebase (both DDS and RPG) can support multiple UI channels. For an application, the handler keyword is programmatically added to each RPG program using a simple tool so theres no need to edit the RPG source manually. When recompiled there is no 5250 datastream, however the ROA channel is a superset of the 5250 and we use it to optionally render multiple UIs for example a zero deployment DHTM client, a Windows based smartclient, mobile UIs and the 5250 like green screen channel.

As suggested there are other options like conditional compilation.

A related common requirement is for the handler to support both ROA and non-ROA based programs so that your ROA enabled program can call or be called by traditional 5250 based program without crashing. If there is no business reason to ROA enable a stabilised app ( or its 3rd part app, or op. system screen like WRKOUTQ), we need to provide complete support for integrating the old with the new ROA investments.

Plse mail me if you want to discuss your specific reqts with our dev team - paulh@looksoftware.com.

Paul, that is what I was expecting from IBM. Congrats on providing it.

It's not technical but rather IBM executive strategy decisions that would produce less and require myriad proprietary solutions to provide approaches to what should be part of the OS. There will be some sales to various parties, but no overall sales impact to the iseries as would be with a built-in transparent solution such as you offer.

Nothing against IBM Toronto, or the myriad proprietary solutions such as yourself who stepped up to the plate. But the days of a standard interface to the AS/400 that helped make the platform what it is are lost thanks to that short-term decisionmaking by IBM.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone wrote:

Imagine how much more readable the data will be when pared down to a small amount of information per screen as compared to the busy, confusing web practice of displaying all pertinent data on one panel.

You have it backwards. Users had us cram data in every nook and cranny to get as much info in front of them as possible. Browser screens have tended, for both reasons of programming and real estate, to be dumbed down and "divided into separate small screens", called tabs lately, before that was several dumbed down screens.

And when it is crammed, guess what, they can't see it all and have to go scrolling around, if for nothing else to get to the bottom to be able to click on some button. Eye candy is an expensive use of valuable real estate. Oh, but wait, let's get a big monitor with tiny fonts to display it all. If you can read it.

Speaking of eye candy, I assume the new widget library comes in the colors I see used, which isn't green. Cyan, blue, orange, and others. Actually I much prefer to goofy looking black on white or gray.

Oh but the twinkling buttons are colorful. Must give credit where credit is due.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from slashdot:
I would like to hear from programmers that have been at it for 10 or more years that aren't 'burned out'.

Here's one, 38 years programming since college, and have more personal projects stacked up than I can get to after working all day programming. Couldn't program before college, pre-dated home computers, but I'm sure I would have programmed as soon as I could get on a computer.

Assembler and BASIC in the beginning, RPG through the years, and now Java alongside RPG. People who love programming don't get burned out. It's what I would do even if I was independently wealthy.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from slashdot:
Or maybe they are just complete idiots in comparison to your God-like skillz.

You skirted around the guy's point with your ORM layer. The point is that only an idiot would push something straight off user input into an SQL string or into the database. The fact that millions of web sites have been "injected", as the original poster pointed out is a term that can only be met with disbelief by veterans for cluelessly shoving garbage in to garbage out, despite the books and functions available you mention, means clueless idiots required.

Granted, there are diabolical hacks with inputs whose code translations evade well known filters for a particular app, but we're talking here of programmers who couldn't be bothered to call a filter on user input. Not God-like skillz programming, just experience with garbage in, whatever the source.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from slahdot:
My point was, if you are in a zone and *concentrating on solving **hard** problems and getting it right the first time* you simply can't do it for 20 hours. No one can can solve the really complex problems like that for twenty hours straight. Two decades ago I could code for 20 hours thinking I was being real productive in the 'zone'. It was only later I realized that such 'heroic coding' stints are a complete crock and the best coders don't need to do them, only the n00b-ish. Oh sure, you can do easier stuff (like boilerplate or routine coding) for 20 hours no sweat, but people who can do that are a dime a dozen (just ask all the willing bodies in Bangalore). Solving hard problems is non-linear in effort, just as anyone can run a marathon slow but even the greatest athletics are exhausted if they run hard (sprint) for 10 seconds.

The point is, coding in a zone is not heroic, and you are writing from a mental framework, not encountering multiple "hard" problems. In a zone, however hard the problems were, you have a mental framework as answer.

Should one encounter an unexpected obstacle to their vision in the wee hours, then yes, one would close down and sleep on it.

This is experience in it talking. Not hypothetical. YMMV.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, when you are working on image processing, or scientific software, or research software, or hardware integration, or real-time systems, or massive internet-scale software (as I have) you get *hard* problems. The run of the mill web and CRUD stuff is nothing in comparison.

Oh, I agree the run of the mill stuff is nothing in comparison, there's not enough to it to zone on. Image processing I've zoned on big time. Here's a sample of where I'm at on one of them: rdwrites OCRvectors image http://www.rdwrites.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3794

And on that page is a link to a b/w to gray rendering algorithm I zoned on one time.

I especially agree with the hardware integration. I wrote the scanner drivers for PC Paintbrush under DOS, back in the day before TWAIN. Some intense zoning to meet show deadlines among other things.

Even more intense zoning was when I wrote Double Deck Pinochle in Z-80 back when writing an expert level game was considered AI. Rewrote in Java and currently rewriting for the web implementing some ideas I have for extremely high performance web serving.

Real-time systems, I headed up the real-time shop floor interface to the BPCS ERP for large pharmaceuticals using that shop floor system. Some intense zoning on that.

Also wrote the telephone emergency notification system that was used by several nuclear plants and the reservation confirmation system that was used by Cablevision. Not to mention school absentee notification systems that was used by schools nationwide. Writing the nuclear plant emergency notification system one summer to avert a million dollar a day penalty fee if I didn't come through for the company was not so much zoning as having my utmost attention.

I write business software day in, day out though. I agree, not zoning material.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from slashdot, to a guy going on about Big O calculations for massive malloc algorithms to count leaves for random linked documents:

How do you do this?

The efficient way is to keep relevant counts as you add and remove documents in a database and look it up. You wouldn't malloc anything.

Just sayin.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who question the viability of the iseries ~ AS/400 with the legendary i5/OS ~ OS/400, the game has changed. When IBM merged its midrange hardware to the Power System, there is no longer any '80-'90's calculation on sustainable platform sales chasing catchup hardware generations resulting in one computer manufacturer after another going under.

Even as recently as last year Sun Sparc was looking at being the latest casualty, with only the IBM iseries left to fall.

Well, those days are gone. The dominoes have stopped falling.

Sparc is now a well funded integral part of Oracle's complete system strategy set to compete with the mother of integrated systems, the iseries. And that competition is against the comparably well funded Power System from IBM. Power is a mother ship for IBM's Unix, i5/OS, and Linux.

Power isn't going away anywhere, and neither is i5/OS.

The game has changed in many other ways as well. OS'es are more mature, hardware power ubiquitous, industry stagnant if not diminishing, and software jobs and system sales commensurate. We can do most anything with anything out there now, but there's less to do with declining business activity. And less jobs of every kind.

There's a certain level of cost effective system robustness that the iseries provides, and for those that need it, it pays off. If we ever get ramped up again, there will be more of that robustness needed, and iseries will fill the bill where it pays off.

The relative count of systems just isn't relevant anymore.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm sure we all know, the number of iseries shops is decreasing over time, but so are the number of businesses that ran on the AS/400. We've seen through posts that there's conversions of systems to Windows or Unix but of the many remaining I think it is a mistake to think that lots of new RPG code is not being written even as we speak.

The maintenance thing has amused me to no end through the years but it's a lost cause to explain that enhancing existing code is just as vital for both the business and challenging for the programmer as starting new software projects from scratch.

Actually more vital for the business and more challenging for the programmer than starting new projects from scratch.

Either way, we don't have the growth to create much of a job market but if there was growth from business growth again we can bring in as many programmers as we need as we did in the 90's. Wasn't a problem then, or rather, the only problem was getting enough programmers, and won't be a problem again.

But from the few widespread indications I have, there is robust ILE RPG development going on of all types.

That catch-22 of needing experience and getting experience is a wider gap than ever for all programming jobs, so numbers wise it will always be easier to start with PC programming, I did, but companies pull in consultants at first stage of growth and consulting companies will gear you up to be billable for whatever work is available so I reject the "business is dropping iseries or outsourcing because they can't get RPG programmers" thing. That's always a rationalization for what perhaps a new IT staff wants to do instead, or maybe a non-tech executive wants to do to slash costs for a quick bonus before anyone realizes the slashed costs aren't doing the job the iseries did.

Breaking in is hard when everyone wants experience, and much more so in a stagnant RPG market, so it's difficult to declare beforehand that you're going to be an RPG programmer, get training, and find a job. Real difficult.

Being a good programmer is the first step. Markets will pull you to the openings where they're willing to cross train you. The AS/400 market has done it, and if there is robust business growth that needs the performance of an iseries, it will do it again.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in response to yet another article saying get with SQL "modernization":

SQL isn't modernization. It's been around since early days, including on IBM AS/400. It's just the only thing everyone else has while we use it when it makes sense.

Learn how to code set based? Did you ever stop to think why ERP's were written in RPG and COBOL all these years? Sure computers are insanely fast these days, and we can do any stupid thing to negate the speed advantages, but that doesn't mean the stupid thing is modern. It just means that computers are so fast now you can do stupid things without being too slow.

Oh, and lest you think "modern" SQL is the cat's meow, everytime you see a new system in the press that users say is "unusable", that's an SQL timeout looking at you.

When's the last time RPG I/O timed out on you?

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> www.rdwrites.com forum (part of www.justiceforchandra.com) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: