www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guandique indicted by DC federal grand jury
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Psychotic Break Reply with quote

I would also like to note that the indictment does not state any exact times and places for the kidnapping, attempted robbery, sexual abuse and "completed" murder "hallucination" to have taken place. It states something like around and about May 1, 2001. It also fails to name the "co-hallucinators".
Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: The "Secret" Letter, by Michael Modbee Doyle Reply with quote

May 27, 2009
McClatchey: Suits and Sentences Blog
http://washingtonbureau.typepad.com/law/2009/05/chandra-levy-the-secret-letter.html
Chandra Levy: The secret letter
An odd little twist colored the arraignment of Ingmar Guandique on Wednesday. Somehow, it seems in keeping with the bizarre series of events that started with the disappearance of former intern Chandra Levy in May 2001.

The odd thing was when Alprin announced he had been given a letter, by the Superior Court's chief judge. The letter, Alprin explained, came from a woman who says she has information -- apparently, important information -- about the case. He handed copies of the letter to defense attorneys and prosecutors, and then said he would have nothing more to do with it.
Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Trying to Turn the Tables Reply with quote

Chandra Levy suspect pleads not guilty; January trial set
By Michael Doyle | McClatchy Newspapers

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/68928.html

Talk about "machinations"!!!

"I understand there will be a lot of machinations in this case," said District of Columbia Superior Court Associate Judge Geoffrey M. Alprin, before cautioning Guandique's attorney Santha Sonenberg to "not make a speech."

In the latest unusual twist for a case that's already had more than its share, Alprin said that Chief Judge Lee F. Satterfield of the Superior Court had received a letter from a woman "who says she has information on the case." Alprin delivered copies of the letter to attorneys but didn't otherwise make it public
Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: The Scarlet Letter Reply with quote

I wonder if the letter has information on who the REAL murderer might be, as well as the REAL time and place, etc.
rd

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any idea what the woman is saying in her letter, but I assure you she has given the information to the police and to the Levy's and who knows who else, and no one has found anything in it worth mentioning.

I don't have the time or patience and no tolerance after all the crap I've seen these last eight years. If the defense lawyers saw a spec of credibility in whatever it was, they would be out with it in a heartbeat. If it was relevant info, it needed to have been made known to police and family eight years ago., and like I say, I'm sure they have been doing just that all this time.

rd
Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: The Road Is Long with Many A Winding Turn. . . Reply with quote

Yes, It's been a long, hard day, RD and a long 8 years, as well.
rd

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that, Rainbow.

rd
Rainbow

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Criminal "Pro- and Con-" cedure Reply with quote

RD,
Do you happen to know anything about the protocols that have to be followed before someone enters a plea of "guilty" or "not-guilty"? Does the prosecution have to provide all or most of the "discovery" to the defense prior to the arraignment?
jane

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From looking at the excerpt below (from www.questia.com) I gather that the prosecution is not under obligation to discover and disclose prior to or at the time of the plea.
Quote:
Journal Article Excerpt
Waiving prosecutorial disclosure in the guilty plea process: a debate on the merits of "discovery" waivers.
by Erica G. Franklin
Some U.S. Attorneys' have added to their plea bargain contracts a waiver of the defendant's right to additional discovery, which may include evidence impeaching the credibility of witnesses. Consequently, many prosecutors in these districts neither review the files of key witnesses nor disclose any impeaching evidence to defense counsel after signing a plea agreement. Erica Franklin finds that these waivers raise several concerns. First, the waivers force defense attorneys into a difficult position--advising their clients to sign the plea agreement minimizes the possibility that significant exculpatory or impeaching evidence will appear. Second, the waivers may violate a defendant's constitutional right to receive from the prosecutor all material evidence bearing on his guilt or innocence as articulated in Brady v. Maryland. In examining the impact of the waivers on defense counsel and on defendants' Brady rights, Franklin concludes that if a waiver raises a Brady issue, courts are unlikely to enforce it. From a policy standpoint, however, Franklin finds the waivers objectionable, even where no Brady issue exists, since they not only undermine the fairness and accuracy of the criminal justice system but also produce no significant benefit. In addition to removing the waivers from plea agreements, Franklin proposes requiring prosecutors to discover and disclose favorable information to the defense at the time of the plea.

Recently, a new dilemma has vexed some federal public defenders. To illustrate briefly, imagine that you are a federal public defender. You have a client charged with severa...

Rainbow

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Criminal Pro- and Con- cedure, cont'd Reply with quote

Thank you, Jane. Great article!
Rainbow

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: An Unwitting "Fixer"? Reply with quote

Prosecutor in Anthrax, Blackwater Cases is Resigning
Boston Herald, May 28, 2009

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view.bg?articleid=1175388

WASHINGTON — The federal prosecutor who became the public face of the Justice Department’s investigation into the 2001 anthrax attacks, the killing of Chandra Levy and the Blackwater Worldwide shooting is resigning.

Washington U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Taylor, a holdover from the Bush administration, will leave the Justice Department on Friday. He will join the auditing firm Ernst & Young, where he will lead their fraud investigation practice.

Taylor inherited the anthrax and Chandra Levy investigations and declared both long-unsolved matters closed.

How will this affect the case? May be the people who were discouraged from pursuing the case any further will now feel freer to resume their participation in the case, unless it is already too late.
Rainbow

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: More Info About the "Taylor" for the Government Reply with quote

I thought I'd post this before it was taken down. Jeffrey Taylor was in key positions of power over law enforcement and in relation to intelligence agencies for almost a decade during a crucial time for national security- and politically- related concerns in the United States.

usdoj.gov
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/dc/US_Attorney/index.html

Mr. Taylor has achieved great things. Some of what he has achieved seems to have been accomplished in conjunction with Republicans who were in power at that time. As a form of "checks and balances", it would be prudent of the new attorneys in the U.S. Attorneys' and Attorney General's Office to conduct a review of any controversial judicial decisions (e.g. with regard to Chandra Levy case) that were made or courses of action that were taken by Mr. Taylor or any of his co-attorneys in the U.S. Attorneys and Attorney General's Offices. It would be important for them to ascertain whether or not decisions were made on the basis of fulfilling the expectations of political superiors and dictates, as opposed to "real-time" national security and crime-solving concerns, which would have required the ajudication of unpoliticized evidence and truthful assessments of innocence or guilt.
Rainbow

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Some Points in Guandique's Defense Reply with quote

Washington Post, April 24, 2009
Authorities' Evidence Flawed, Defense Says
By Keith L. Alexander

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/23/AR2009042302672.html

I thought I'd post an excerpt from this article again, which highlights a statement made by a former assistant U.S. Attorney in Guandique's DEFENSE.

Some former prosecutors said the government could have a difficult time winning the case.

Older cases are often the most difficult to prove and without physical evidence, even harder.

In addition, a polygraph examiner, who tested Guandique in February 2002, found he was "not deceptive" when he denied being involved in or causing Levy's disappearance. Four days after that FBI polygraph, according to court records, former assistant U.S. attorney Kristina Ament said at Guandique's assault sentencing that authorities did not believe he was connected to the Levy case.

Former assistant U.S. attorney Steven McCool said the D.C. Court of Appeals has ruled that statements by prosecutors can be admitted as evidence.
Rainbow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Guandique and MS-13 Reply with quote

I came across this article on the internet. It provides commentary about Guandique and his alleged connection to MS-13. Like RD, I am sure that he did not become a member until he was imprisoned. This would then exclude the gang connection as one of the motives for committing a murder that he did not commit, on a woman who was not in the park at the same time, place or condition he was in (namely alive).

Tomadan, Tom Diaz on Tom Diaz
http://tomdiaz.wordpress.com/2009/05/08/chandra-ingmar-and-ms-13-crossing-the-devils-path/

Chandra, Ingmar and MS-13--Crossing the Devil's Path
from Crimes, Gangs and Latino Gangs, May 8, 2009

Another thing is the puzzle of exactly when Guandique joined MS-13. The news media mentioned Guandique’s membership in stories about his recent arrest, but none to my knowledge explored it in depth. When did he join, for example? Mug shots from Guandique’s earlier arrest clearly do not show any facial or neck tattoos (see above photo).
jane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rainbow. Hey, someone is actually beginning to put two and two together! Yah, Tom Diaz!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: