www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noted coder Hans Reiser arrested for wife's disappearance
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Noted coder Hans Reiser arrested for wife's disappearance Reply with quote

My software work and missing women collide here. Slashdot is reporting that well known Linux file system programmer Hans Reiser has been arrested on suspicion of murder. Here is the Wikipedia article on Hans Reiser with links to news articles on the disappearance of his estranged wife, Russian born doctor Nina Reiser.

The Slashdot discussion is huge. The summary, from the San Francisco Chronicle is that Nina hasn't been found yet, and Hans was arrested on circumstantial evidence.

As usual, the ex boyfriend is not talking.

rd

from sfgate.com (fair use)

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/10/BAGERLM3RR15.DTL

Husband of missing Oakland mom arrested on suspicion of murder
Henry K. Lee, San Francisco Chronicle Staff Writer
October 10, 2006

OAKLAND -- The estranged husband of an Oakland woman who has been missing for more than a month was arrested today on suspicion of murder.

Hans Reiser, 42, was taken into custody at 11 a.m., hours after Oakland police and FBI technicians searched his home in the Oakland hills. His estranged wife, Nina Reiser, 31, has been missing since Sept. 3, when she dropped off the couple's son and daughter at his home on the 6900 block of Exeter Drive.

Nina Reiser's minivan, with groceries from Berkeley Bowl inside, was found several miles away Sept. 9 in Oakland's Thornhill neighborhood.

"I guess that the police are not expecting to find Nina alive. I'm very sad about that, terribly sad," Shelley Gordon, Nina Reiser's divorce attorney, said today. "I just pray for the children."

Anthony Zografos, Reiser's boyfriend, said, "I have no thoughts. Until they find Nina, I don't know what to think."

Authorities did not immediately say today why they believe Reiser is dead.

Monday's search was the second at Hans Reiser's six-room house, located on a winding street off Skyline Boulevard. In mid-September, police spent several days searching the home where his mother, Beverly Palmer, also lives. They brought in a cadaver dog during that search.

On Monday night, police with the missing persons unit returned with a homicide investigator and the FBI's evidence response team. Police removed items from the home, including what appeared to be a door and a rolled-up carpet.

Police used a search warrant Sept. 28 to obtain a DNA sample from Hans Reiser, who has declined to talk to police.

His lawyer, criminal defense attorney William Du Bois, had initially said Reiser would be available "to both the press and the police." But Du Bois later said Reiser would not talk to police because he was upset about the search of his home and didn't trust investigators.

Du Bois complained today that police had not allowed him to meet with his client after the arrest. He said investigators were keeping Reiser in isolation.

Police made the arrest based on circumstantial evidence and have not found Nina Reiser's body, Du Bois said. "I have no idea what the circumstantial evidence is," he said. "When I hear what the evidence is against him, I'll make a decision as to whether he'll talk to them."

The Reisers were married in 1999 and frequently traveled to Russia, where she was born. They separated in May 2004.

Nina Reiser filed for divorce three months later, citing irreconcilable differences and saying their children "hardly know their father" because he was out of the country on business for most of the year, according to court records.

Nina Reiser, who was trained as an obstetrician and gynecologist in Russia, was granted custody of the children. The divorce was not finalized.

Hans Reiser has prided himself in interviews on having been accepted to UC Berkeley at the age of 15 after dropping out of junior high school. He attended the university off and on before graduating in 1992 with a bachelor's degree in systematizing, an individualized computer-science major. He operates his own business, Namesys, from his home.

Nina Reiser was granted a temporary restraining order against her husband in December 2004 after she reported that he had pushed her and was abusive to her. A year later, she agreed not to seek a permanent order.

Hans Reiser was accused earlier this year of failing to pay medical and child-care expenses as ordered by a judge, records show. He pleaded not guilty Aug. 25 to a civil contempt charge and was scheduled for trial in October.

Nina Reiser's friends have started a Web site, www.ninareiser.com, which reminds visitors of a $15,000 reward for information leading to her whereabouts. Twenty billboards asking for help in finding her were posted throughout Oakland today.

Zografos and Nina Reiser's best friend, Ellen Doren, said they still planned to formally unveil the billboards Wednesday.

"I'm very hopeful because that's the only way to get through the day right now, to keep having hope," Doren said.

E-mail Henry K. Lee at hlee@sfchronicle.com

end quote

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

www.justiceforchandra.com home page
Rainbow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Connecting the dots Reply with quote

What a story! Apparently, something criminal has gone down and the authorities are "hot on it". Here we have a scenario where "dispassionate" information technology collides with a "crime of passion". What a tragic dichotomy! Where are the ethics and morals of the IT establishment? Don't we hold them to a higher standard, since they are more technically "evolved"?
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rd: Keep us informed on any more links on this story. So sorry to hear she was another "inconvenient woman" to another man. Why couldn't he just wait for a divorce? I'm interested to know what circumstantial evidence they arrested Hans on since that seems to be the key. Do you know yet?

I have read a few links on the case to date. If you have any, please post them in so I can follow the story. When it comes to murder, it appears nobody is above the law and will resort to taking another's life.

And would we expect at this juncture for the x-boyfriend to talk to LE? Nope!

My thoughts are with Nina and her children.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Blood of missing Oakland mother found in ex-husband's car Reply with quote

Oct. 12, 2006

Blood of missing Oakland mother found in ex-husband's car
MICHELLE LOCKE
Associated Press

OAKLAND, Calif. - The estranged husband of a woman who's been missing for more than a month appeared in court Thursday to face a murder charge in the case.

Hans Reiser, 42, was arraigned in Alameda County Superior Court, but postponed entering a plea. He was arrested Tuesday, a day after police and FBI found his wife's blood in his home and car, police said. Her body, however, has not been found.

Reiser, a computer software engineer, appeared in court for the brief hearing, but didn't say anything. He remained held without bail at Santa Rita Jail in Dublin.

One of Reiser's lawyers, William Du Bois, said outside court the circumstantial case is "relatively flimsy."

Nina Reiser, 31, was last seen Sept. 3 when she dropped off their 7-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter at his house in the Oakland hills. She never showed up for a meeting with her best friend that evening.

Her Honda minivan was found Sept. 9 with her purse and groceries inside. Her blood was found in her husband's car and home, Oakland Police Lt. Sean Whent said Thursday.

Another of Reiser's lawyers said the scant genetic evidence is not necessarily proof of a crime.

"There's not a lot of forensic evidence at all. Whatever they got is trace," said attorney Daniel Horowitz. "It's not clear whether it's evidence of a crime or evidence of people living together for seven years."

Police also found a manual about how murders are investigated in Reiser's home, Horowitz said.

"He's an intelligent man. He's going to want to know what the police were up to," he said. "What's he supposed to be doing, reading comic books?"

The hearing was attended by Hans Reiser's mother, Nina Reiser's mother and the missing woman's best friend.

"Now we feel angry and we want justice," said Ellen Doren.

Deputy Chief Howard Jordan said Tuesday even though police still are looking for Nina Reiser's body they decided to charge Hans Reiser based on biological evidence and statements from friends and relatives of the missing woman.

The Reisers were embroiled in an acrimonious divorce and child custody fight after separating in May 2004. Nina Reiser, a Russian immigrant who was trained as a doctor, filed for divorce three months later.

The two children remain in protective custody.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/15735016.htm

Goz
rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, how deep in the scumpond do you have to go to find lawyers like this? I guess as deep as the scumbucket murderers they make excuses for.

Well, I guess that's the "circumstantial" evidence. Nothing like a trail of blood in his house and car to put a wooden stake through the crap Geragos trotted out making excuses for Scott Peterson.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, through a link on the Wikipedia article on Reiser, I brought up the first news article on Nina Reiser's disappearance. Holy cow. The guy was his own lawyer before his estranged wife disappeared, and look what he has to say in court filings. He's slightly saner than Son of Sam.

rd

from http://cbs5.com (fair use)

AUTHORITIES SEARCH HOME OF MISSING WOMAN'S HUSBAND
09/13/06
By JEFF SHUTTLEWORTH
BAY CITY NEWS WIRE
OAKLAND (BCN)

Oakland police and a search and rescue unit from the Alameda County Sheriff's Department today searched the home of a software developer whose wife hasn't been seen for 10 days, according to sheriff's spokesman Lt. Jim Knudsen.

Knudsen said authorities searched the home of 43-year-old Hans Reiser in the 6900 block of Exeter Drive in Oakland's Montclair District in connection with their investigation into the disappearance of 31-year-old Nina "Nenasha" Reiser.

An agent with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement also participated in the search, according to a spokeswoman for the agency.

Oakland police have been unavailable for comment on the case for two days.

According a statement released by Oakland police on Monday, Nina Reiser, a native of Russia, was last seen about 2 p.m. on Sept. 3 when she dropped off her two children at Hans Reiser's home.

She was last seen driving her tan 2001 Honda Odyssey with the license plate number 4UBB491.

The couple married in 1999 and separated in 2004. They are undergoing divorce proceedings but their divorce hasn't been finalized.

According to filings in Alameda County Superior Court, a notice of settlement was filed on Hans Reiser's behalf today to resolve a lawsuit filed against him by Sean Sturgeon on Dec. 30, 2004, seeking $131,552 in damages.

The terms of the settlement weren't disclosed.

Sturgeon claimed that Reiser and his company, Namesys, Inc., which he ran out of his home, failed to pay back a loan.

In a response to the lawsuit that was filed on Feb. 15, 2005, Reiser, acting as his own attorney, said "under no theory of liability is defendant Reiser liable personally for repayment."

Reiser alleged that Sturgeon "had been having a secret affair with defendant's wife, Nina Reiser, at the time of the loan."

Reiser said Sturgeon "continues this illicit affair even during divorce proceedings currently in action" and that Sturgeon "even apparently is, in defiance of a court order, residing with defendant's wife and children."

Reiser also alleged, "It is well known and was well known to plaintiff (Sturgeon) that the majority of the allegedly loaned funds were spent exclusively by Nina Reiser."

Reiser said the fact that Sturgeon didn't name Nina Reiser as a defendant and named him as an individual "is clear evidence of his malicious intent to destroy defendant's marriage and leave the defendant to clean up the wreckage and pay the debts."

In a cross-complaint that Reiser filed against Sturgeon on Sept. 8, 2005, Reiser said Sturgeon acted as his financial agent from 1999 through 2002 and had access to and control over deposits, withdrawals and funds at the Patelco Credit Union.

Reiser said Sturgeon "worked with my wife Nina Reiser and eventually drugged her with ecstasy and seduced her."

Reiser alleged, "He then engaged in Bondage, Domination, Sadism and Masochism techniques and continued to redrug her repeatedly over time."

He said Sturgeon engaged in those techniques "in an effort to show that he was a better man than I and to convince my wife Nina to conspire with him to steal the Namesys Inc. company assets."

Reiser alleged that, "Sean has threatened to have me beaten up by some of his associates in illegal activities and that he would hurt me, my mother or my children if he did not get what he wanted."

He also accused Sturgeon of engaging in extortion by threatening to make calls to the Internal Revenue Service to report him and his mother.

In addition, Reiser alleged that Sturgeon wrote into a contract that Reiser must participate in "Death Yoga," which he said has the purpose of "slowing down one's heart to the point of death."

Sturgeon's attorney, Richard Meier, didn't return a phone call today seeking comment on the case.

Reiser's attorney, Gregory Silva, declined to comment.

In a Sept. 13, 2005, interview with the Web site KernelTrap.org, Reiser said he dropped out of junior high school after eighth grade but was accepted at the University of California, Berkeley at the age of 15.

In the interview, Reiser said, "Berkeley was a lot better than junior high school, but it still involved homework, which deep down in my heart I could never believe in."

According to a Dec. 29, 1999, article in InfoWorld, Reiser's company is called the Naming System Venture but is more commonly known by the abbreviation Namesys.

The company aims at creating a quicker and easier way to search file databases on Linux-based systems, according to the article.

© MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc.
rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this very good summary from the Wikipedia article:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki (fair use)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser

(excerpt)

As reported in ABC News, police brought cadaver dogs during one search. Neighbors reported that they saw him rinsing something off of the driveway, and that his beat-up car was gone, replaced by his mother's car....

On October 11, 2006, law-enforcement officials said that splatters of Nina Reiser's blood were found in Hans Reiser's house and car, and alleged that Hans Reiser disposed of the body and passenger seat of his Honda hatchback, both of which have yet to be discovered. They also indicated they seized a number of books on homicide investigation purchased by Reiser days after his wife's disappearance.
rd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the Slashdot discussion:

A person like Hans, who has the intelligence and persistence (no pun intended) to put together a complicated and successful OSS project is smart enough to know that there's no way in hell he's going to get away with murdering his wife with whom he is waging a custody battle.

I've got a site full of missing women cases that says otherwise.

rd

http://www.justiceforchandra.com/
rd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another disturbing thing is you'll see in many of these articles that the police claim Reiser was the last one to see his wife. However, the facts of the state that she went shopping after she left his house; her car was found with the groceries she bought. Clearly then, he was not the last person his wife, as the checker at the supermarket obviously interacted with her.
I dont see how the story works: she drops the kids at his house, she goes shopping, and then..how does he end up killing her? He has the kids with him..at home..she's on the road. When does he have the opportunity to kill her?

There are cases like this on my site http://www.justiceforchandra.com as in, for example, Sue Ann Ray in the Atlanta area. The guy leaves his estranged wife's vehicle somewhere looking like she went shopping after dropping something off at his house, but she in fact had never made it out of his house alive.

In this case it looks to me like he left the children with his mother at home after she dropped them off and followed his estranged wife to the supermarket and attacked her similar to the murder of college student Dru Sjodin in a mall parking lot in North Dakota.

Several bags of groceries were found in her minivan, however, I saw no mention of anyone such as a checkout clerk in the store saying they saw her. It could have been after she came out, or he could have bought the groceries to place her at the supermarket, which is the critical piece of making it look like a stranger attacked her in a parking lot, such as for example Tracey Tetso whose car was found in a parking lot in Baltimore.

In all these cases the women disappear, and the ex ain't talking. Unfortunately, the site is full of them.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<i>Based on his history, he is waaaaaaaaaaaay to smart and knows what would happen if his wife dissapeared.</i>

More importantly, he knew what would happen if she didn't disappear. A court date for non-payment of child support was coming up, and he was $170K in the hole, broke and bitter.

The divorce wasn't final, and if she disappears not only does he no longer have child support payments to her, but possibly collects a life insurance policy on her. See Scott Peterson. Laci Peterson's disappearance is covered on http://www.justiceforchandra.com also.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably he has the greatest motive as well, but that's neither here nor there; he cannot deflect suspicion from himself by claiming his motives were contrary, or that the motive was not sufficient, because presumptively we are looking for somebody who thinks abnormally.

This analysis is entirely wrong. Motive is everything in the cases of missing ex-wives, and the thinking is unfortunately logical in the attempt to be successful, not abnormal.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard this argument before - that the defendant was too clever to have committed such a sloppy crime. But being smart in programming or accounting or dentistry or whatever doesn't necessarily lend itself to being a consummate, flawless murderer.

The easiest murder to get away with is of someone totally unrelated - with a wife or girlfriend, it's much more challenging.
rd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the motives are entirely different. As for being more difficult to get away with it, that is why women murdered by their ex's disappear.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when they disappear, it should be routine for police to question the husband or boyfriend, search the home, vehicle, hard drive, phone records etc. Without delay.
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears there is enough circumstantial evidence for the arrest of Hans now that we have more information pertaining to the events that lead to his wife who has gone missing.

It is amazing how the ex's can always dispose of the bodies and they are never recovered or they take an undue amount of time to be discovered. For example, we still do not know where Debbie Hawk is, nor was Chandra found immediately. Scotty took the time to make sure that Laci would not wash up to shore quickly either, hoping she would not surface at all. Those that are found quickly are usually killed in the heat of passion, the bodies hidden hastily. Amanda Jones has never been recovered to this day.

What a twisted story this has become with the links to Sadism and Masochism, and "Death Yoga" (which I have never heard of.)

Let us hope Nina will be found soon.

Goz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: