www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elizabeth Smart File-(Guilty Verdict for Mitchell)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Elizabeth Smart File-(Guilty Verdict for Mitchell) Reply with quote

In the June 23 issue of PEOPLE, Elizabeth Smart explained how she coped with her 2002 kidnapping. Smart was taken at knifepoint from her bedroom and held captive for nine months. "From the day I came home, I haven't wasted time looking back," the 20-year-old told the magazine.

This sounds like an interesting read. Thank God Elizabeth was found alive and returned home after such an ordeal. One for the good guys and we need it.

Goz

Source: AOL Home Page
People Magazine
Snip
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how Elizabeth has come through this experience so well. According to the article it appears she does not have any PTSD after this ordeal. She is mature beyond her 20 years of age.

Her captives had chained her to a tree during her 9 months being held and also assaulted her during that period. She is a remarkable young lady.

Elizabeth and five survivors of kidnapping wrote a pamphlet for the Dept. of Justice titled, "You're Not Alone: The Journey from Abduction to
Empowerment" to help teenagers and children survive being abducted by strangers.

Elizabeth once again is a brave and great example to other young people.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Judge denies forcibly medicating man in Smart Case Reply with quote

I really don't know what I think about forced medication. It would have to be something I would have to ponder over for awhile to come up with a solid decision. I think he belongs in prison a long time anyway.

(Fair Use)
Judge Denies Request to Forcibly Medicate Man Charged in Elizabeth Smart Kidnapping
Thursday, October 09, 2008
Associated Press

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,435525,00.html?sPage=fnc/us/crime

Snip
SALT LAKE CITY — A judge denied on Thursday the state's request to forcibly medicate the man charged in the 2002 kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart.

Third District Judge Judith Atherton said in the ruling that she is not convinced anti-psychotic medication would restore Brian David Mitchell's competency.

Mitchell, who is diagnosed with a rare delusional disorder, has twice been found incompetent for trial. He is being housed at the Utah State Hospital and has refused to take medications in the past.

Snip
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Defense Moves to Dismiss Case Reply with quote

Too bad he is suffering anxiety over the trial, (this lunatic). I think he deserves to be punished and if the trial is dismissed, he will be shown to be COMPETENT.... This is just a cry to get him some freedom from prison, after all he never takes his medications either. Never knew you didn't have to go to court because you were anxious.

(fair use)
Defense Moves to Dismiss Case of Elizabeth Smart's Kidnapper
Friday, December 12, 2008
Associated Press at Fox News

Snip
SALT LAKE CITY — Defense attorneys for the mentally incompetent man charged with kidnapping Elizabeth Smart have asked the court to dismiss his case, contending he is suffering unnecessary anxiety over a criminal trial that is unlikely to be held.

The papers, filed Thursday in 3rd District Court, claim that continuing to hold criminal charges against Brian David Mitchell creates "unnecessary and harsh" conditions of confinement that violate Utah's constitution.

"Mr. Mitchell is incompetent to stand trial and will remain so. Permitting his criminal charges to remain, despite the reality that no trial will ever be held, is unjustified and unnecessary," attorneys Heidi Buchi and Michael Sikora wrote. "It accomplishes nothing more than to cause Mr. Mitchell anxiety and concern."

Snip

Hit link for story
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,466467,00.html
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Judge Denies Motion to Dismiss Elizabeth Smart Case Reply with quote

Glad to see they are not dismissing the Smart Case. Don't know when we will see justice, but hope to one day. This case needs to move forward and not keep getting tangled up in the justice system.

Goz

Fair Use
Judge Denies Motion to Dismiss Elizabeth Smart Case
Thursday, March 05, 2009

snip

SALT LAKE CITY — A state court judge has denied defense attorneys' motion to dismiss kidnapping and sexual assault charges filed against the man accused in the 2002 abduction of Elizabeth Smart.

snip

snip
Attorneys for Brian David Mitchell have said his mental incompetence makes a trial unlikely and that allowing the charges to hang over Mitchell's head violates the Utah constitution and causes anxiety.

Mitchell has twice been found incompetent for trial and Atherton has refused to order forced medications.
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Woman charged expects life in prison Reply with quote

She is not a victim. She should do her time and be charged for the crime of taking Elizabeth. These two people (Brain Mitchell) are dragging this case out forever. Would love to see this woman behind bars for the rest of her life. If she needs mental health, she can receive it in prison.

Fair Use
Sept. 27, 2009
Woman Charged in Elizabeth Smart Case Expects Life in Prison

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,556220,00.html?test=latestnews

Click link for story

Snip

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — In letters written to her mother, the woman charged in the 2002 kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart has sought forgiveness for any pain she has caused and says she expects to spend the rest of her life in prison.

Wanda Eileen Barzee, 63, however, makes just one reference to Smart in the 12 letters obtained by The Associated Press. And she doesn't provide details about the nine months the girl allegedly spent with her and her now-estranged husband Brian David Mitchell.

The couple is charged with multiple felonies in state court and last year was indicted by a federal grand jury.

"In one of these letters, Wanda is remembering the sins that she did," said Barzee's mother, 88-year-old Dora Corbett, who provided letters sent between July 2008 and August 2009 to The AP. "She doesn't talk about it, she just remembers them and says she needs to repent of them."

Snip

Snip

Smart's father, Ed Smart, said Barzee may be making progress, but she's not a victim.

"They're trying to build a case of sympathy on Wanda and I just don't have any sympathy for it," he said. "I think she has manipulated ... maybe not just as much (as Mitchell), but I believe that she is very, very culpable."

Barzee has twice been found incompetent for trial and is undergoing forced treatment with anti-psychotic medications. Doctors have said Barzee was delusional and believed she was hearing messages from God through the television. She's scheduled to appear in state court for a competency review on Oct. 23.

Snip[/b]
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Update on suspect Reply with quote

Another plea deal, what a shock....

Fair Use
Suspect in Elizabeth Smart kidnapping to plead guilty
By Ashley Hayes, CNN
November 16, 2009

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/16/elizabeth.smart.plea/index.html

click link for story

Snip
(CNN) -- A woman accused along with her then-husband of kidnapping Utah teenager Elizabeth Smart in 2002 is set to plead guilty in federal court Tuesday under terms of a plea deal reached with prosecutors, according to court documents.

Wanda Eileen Barzee, 64, is charged with kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity, according to a 2008 indictment that a federal grand jury returned against her.

The terms of her plea agreement have not been made public and will not be until the agreement is executed in court, Melodie Rydalch, spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office for Utah, told CNN on Monday.

Snip
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Killer says sorry to Elizabeth Reply with quote

I do not forgive this woman, but it is very rare for one to apologize to the victim. I give her credit for at least doing so, whatever the reasons that have driven her to do so. Who knows, maybe she had time to think about this henious act and is actually reflecting, and sorry.

Fair Use
Kidnapper apologizes to Elizabeth Smart, will cooperate
November 18, 2009 9:38 a.m. EST
CNN News
CNN's Ashley Hayes and Eliott C. McLaughlin contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/17/smart.plea/index.html

More at link

Snip
(CNN) -- A woman accused of helping kidnap Utah teenager Elizabeth Smart from her bed in 2002 apologized to the young woman Tuesday as she pleaded guilty to federal charges.

"I'm greatly humbled as I realize how much Elizabeth Smart has been victimized and the role I played in it," Wanda Eileen Barzee said during a court hearing Tuesday.

"I'm so sorry, Elizabeth, for all the pain and suffering I have caused you and your family," she said, according to a court transcript. "It is my hope that you will be able to find it in your heart to forgive me one day."
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Wanda Barzee Sentenced Reply with quote

Fair Use
Wanda Barzee Sentenced in Elizabeth Smart Case
Saturday May 22, 2010
By Charles Montaldo

http://crime.about.com/b/2010/05/22/wanda-barzee-sentenced-in-elizabeth-smart-case.htm?nl=1

Snip

A woman who was forcibly medicated so that she could become competent to stand trial has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for her part in the kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart in 2002. Wanda Barzee pleaded guilty after she was ruled competent and also agreed to testify against her former husband, Brian David Mitchell.
Barzee, 64, will receive credit for seven years she's already served and will be released when she is 72 years old.

Barzee will serve the remainder of her prison time at Carswell, a federal medical center in Fort Worth, Texas.

In November, Barzee pleaded guilty to federal charges of kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor across state lines. She was also sentenced in state court Friday to 15 years after pleading guilty but mentally ill to the attempted kidnapping of Smart's cousin, Olivia Wright, about six weeks after Smart's abduction.

Snip
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Trial Update Reply with quote

The trial continues Monday after a federal appeal was turned down when it was sought to move the proceedings out of Utah.

So hard to believe this trial is still taking place.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: 1st day of trial- rape.. Reply with quote

The poor kid went through so much. I know we are all so happy she turned out so well and that she was alive. What a day that was!

Please read the link -very intense, and it tells what she went through that horrible day.

Goz

Fair Use
Elizabeth Smart Recalls Rape After 'Marriage' in Trial Testimony
Published November 09, 2010
| FoxNews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/09/elizabeth-smart-recalls-rape-marriage-trial-testimony/?test=latestnews

click link for story

snip
Elizabeth Smart recalled how she was raped, forced to drink alcohol and chained "like an animal" in graphic testimony in the trial of the man who abducted her eight years ago.

Smart, now 23, told a Salt Lake City jury on Monday that she awakened to the feeling of a cold knife at her neck and a voice that threatened her.

"I was shocked. I thought I was having a nightmare. It was just indescribable fear," Smart told jurors Monday on the first day of testimony in the federal trial of Brian David Mitchell, the man accused of kidnapping her in June 2002.

snip
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: More from Elizabeth Reply with quote

I'm happy to report the truth about this Mitchell who is garbage came out. I think he has been hiding behind fake religion too long. Him and Wanda were coping a mental illness dx. to get out of going to trial. It is hard to hear all of her testimony and to know she has to relive this 8 years later. I hope they lock these maggots up for life.

Goz

Fair Use
Accused captor is an unholy hypocrite, Smart says
By Ann O'Neill, CNN
November 11, 2010 9:08 a.m. EST

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/10/utah.elizabeth.smart.case/index.html?npt=NP1

click link for story

snip
Brian David Mitchell was no prophet, she said. He was an unholy hypocrite.

There was nothing divine about his mission to steal her in the dark of night and make her his unwilling child bride, she said.

"He was crude and vulgar, self-serving," she stated, looking directly at the jury. "He was his number one priority, followed by sex, drugs and alcohol, but he used religion in all those aspects to justify everything."

Assistant U.S. Attorney Felice John Viti asked how she could be so certain about Mitchell's character, and Smart held nothing back.

"Well, nine months of living with him and seeing him proclaim that he was God's servant and he had been called to do God's work, and everything that he did to me and to my family is something I know God would never tell someone to do," she said. ''God would never tell someone to kidnap a young girl from her family's home in the middle of the night, from her bed that she shared with her sister, from her sister's side, and continue to rape her and sexually abuse her. ... I know he was not called of God because God would never do something like that."

Snip
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Elizabeth's Story- Link Reply with quote

Elizabeth Smart's story: Nine months of what ifs and near misses
By Ann O'Neill, CNN
November 17, 2010 11:01 a.m. EST

Click link for story

Sums it up
interesting

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/16/elizabeth.smart.near.miss/index.html
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Verdict Reply with quote

Finally, this ordeal ends for Elizabeth and family. Guilty verdicts for this lunatic Mitchell. I'm happy the jury did not find him insane.

Goz

Fair Use
Elizabeth Smart's Kidnapper Convicted
Friday December 10, 2010
Charles Montaldo

click link for story

http://crime.about.com/b/2010/12/10/elizabeth-smarts-kidnapper-convicted.htm?nl=1

Snip
A federal grand jury returned guilty verdicts on all counts against the street preacher and self-proclaimed prophet who kidnapped and sexually assaulted Elizabeth Smart in 2002. Brain David Mitchell was found guilty of kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor across state lines for the purpose of illegal sex.
The jury soundly rejected the defense's claim that Mitchell was not guilty by reason of insanity.
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Justice has been served for Elizabeth..

Fair Use
Elizabeth Smart Kidnapper Gets Life
By Charles Montaldo, About.com Guide
May 26, 2011

http://crime.about.com/b/2011/05/26/elizabeth-smart-kidnapper-gets-life.htm?nl=1

Snip
The self proclaimed street prophet who kidnapped, raped and held 14-year-old Elizabeth Smart for nine months has been sentenced to the maximum, life in prison. Brian David Mitchell was sentenced in federal court after being found incompetent to go to trial in Utah state court.
Elizabeth Smart, who testified against Mitchell when he was found guilty in December, said she was "thrilled" with the sentence.

Snip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: