www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20 year old pregnant marine Maria Lauterbach disappears
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: 20 year old pregnant marine Maria Lauterbach disappears Reply with quote

20 year old pregnant marine Maria Lauterbach disappears... just before she's scheduled to testify. But of course we are to believe she ran away. Her car was found at a bus station in a nearby town.

These murderers keep trying it, getting to be day after day now. Yeah, Runaway Bride did it, she's on a bus to somewhere.

Women don't disappear. They run away. Murderers say so.

rd

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

www.justiceforchandra.com home page

from www.cnn.com (fair use)

Pregnant Marine missing from North Carolina base
CNN
January 9, 2008

(CNN) -- A search is under way for a pregnant 20-year-old Marine who has been missing from Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, since December 14.

Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach could give birth at any time, Onslow County Sheriff Ed Brown told the Jacksonville, North Carolina, Daily News on Monday.

The sheriff's department said Lauterbach's mother said that her daughter, of Montgomery, Ohio, had witnessed an incident at Camp Lejeune and was to testify about it.

(snip)

The Marine's car was found Monday [January 7] at Jacksonville's bus station, Brown told the Daily News, and her cell phone had been found at Camp Lejeune's front gate on December 20.

(snip)

Investigators told the Marine Corps Times that a withdrawal from Lauterbach's bank account was made on December 14 and said there was "suspicious activity" on the account 10 days later. December 14 was also the last time Lauterbach's cell phone was used, authorities told the Marine Corps Times.

The Raleigh News and Observer, citing Brown, reported that the woman's mother said her daughter phoned home or her relatives up to 12 times a week and the mother became concerned when she did not hear from her daughter for five days.

(snip)

Lauterbach is a personnel clerk assigned to Combat Logistics Regiment 27, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, II Marine Expeditionary Force, the Marine Corps said. She joined the service on June 6, 2006.

click to read rest of article
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/09/missing.marine/index.html

© 2008 Cable News Network.
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we always to believe they ranaway because one fool did?

This is going to be another sad case with a couple cover-ups.

I have not heard any news on this case yet but will keep my eyes open.

Let us hope for some good news all.

Goz
rd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi goz, I heard on MSNBC tonight that Maria's roommate is a person of interest. I don't know who the father is but I would think the roommate.

It was a local reporter talking so they were a litle clued in on it.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a real mess of a missing woman's case. The worst I've ever seen. I sure hope Maria is ok and will show up soon, or worst case her remains are found. If she remains missing as in so many other well known disappeared women cases, there's both so much suspicion and so much reasonable doubt it's unbelievable.

With one disappearance of Maria, we have:

1) missing 8 to 9 month pregnant woman, as with Laci Peterson (see Scott Arrested in San Diego) and Jessie Marie Davis (see North Canton, OH nine months pregnant mom disappears)

2) missing woman disappears just before she is scheduled to testify, in a hearing on charges she made that she was raped by an officer, somewhat similar to Nina Reiser disappearing just before she was to testify at Hans Reiser's trial on civil contempt charges concerning their bitterly contested divorce proceedings (see Noted coder Hans Reiser arrested for wife's disappearance).

3) missing woman who was last known to talk to her male roommate, exact relationship unknown, as well as the father of her child has not been made known. No problems between her and her roommate if any have been made known. This is similar to Rachel Good's (see Rachel Good case - Virginia) and Amanda Jone's (see Missing Pregnant Woman- Amanda Jones) disappearances.

4) missing woman appears to have emotional problems with no known conflict with significant other. Disappearance is puzzling, similar to Runaway Bride. (see Jennifer Wilbanks bride-to-be FOUND)

5) missing woman's cell phone is found just offbase on day of disappearance, and her ATM card is attempted to be used by a male a few days later. This is similar to the recent tragic disappearance of Meredith Emerson. (see Meredith Emerson, 24, Buford GA - Missing Hiker)

There is one scenario that everyone hopes for, and that is that Maria has taken refuge with someone she knew who used her ATM card to withdraw her money for her. And with that she went somewhere to go have her baby because her family suggested she give it up for adoption due to her problems.

They are asking her to please come home to them. Is Maria alive to hear that plea? And is some man also keeping her secret for her, and parked her car near a bus stop so they could leave town on a bus?

It's a real stretch, but that's the only hope.

rd
maresy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of things about this case bother me, too. Her mother really bothers me. Her story is inconsistent and why did it take her a full five days to report her daughter missing?

The roommate stated that Maria was very upset after the phone call with her mother. The mother states that it was a regular conversation, nothing upsetting. The mother also stated that Maria is bipolar (is this the mother's diagnosis or was she diagnosed by a professional?) and a compulsive liar. Why would a mother state those things about her missing daughter? The mother also stated that she would talk to Maria about 12 times a day. Didn't she find it strange that she didn't get one phone call from her?

I hate to say it, but I think the mother needs to be looked at closely. She was not happy about the pregnancy and wanted the baby put up for adoption. I would like to know her wherabouts for those five days.

rd, how in the world do you keep all those facts in your head? I barely remember what I ate for breakfast! Once again, another great job of making connections.
rd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, maresy, but I check our threads on all these missing women for details provided by the good people here, such as the info you just added about the mother. I wouldn't remember all that much without them.

I saw a clip of the mother (stepmother) talking to the press, and she did not appear manipulative at all. Saying that her stepdaughter Maria was a compulsive liar and may be bipolar may just unfortunately be the truth. There was some indication from the mother that it had to do with how Maria's charges of rape against an officer were coming along to the point where she was to testify about it.

There is both potential for Maria to be silenced or for her to feel she is in over her head. But the logisitics don't look good to me that she is in hiding with assistance of the male who used her ATM card.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to report that the potential for Maria to be ok is no longer there. There is breaking news that the sheriff is announcing that Maria is dead.

They are questioning roommate they brought back from training in California. They seem to think he knows something, and of course he was last person to talk to her. I don't know when he left for training, for example whether he was still in NC when male used her ATM card.

The bus thing was a setup just as I suspected. Her car was parked in a restaraunt parking lot next to the bus station and a ticket was purchased by her or in her name, not sure how they know if it was her, but ticket was never used. It was a bus ticket out west to Texas or Arizona, I'll have to check.

Also don''t have details on how they know she is dead now. This is very tragic, yet another innocent woman close to giving birth who disappeared at the hands of some man she was close to.

May Maria rest in peace.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man she accused of rape is the suspect. He probably was the father too. The details tell me this isn't about the rape charge at all. In my opinion he was planning on murdering her, probably because of her child due soon, ala Scott Peterson.

rd

from www.cnn.com (fair use)

Missing pregnant Marine dead, sheriff says
CNN
January 11, 2008

JACKSONVILLE, North Carolina (CNN) -- Missing pregnant Marine Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach is dead, the Onslow County sheriff said Friday.

The suspect in the case is Cpl. Cesar Armando Lauren, a fellow Marine whom Lauterbach had accused of sexual assault, Sheriff Ed Brown said at a news conference Friday.

Lauren is not in custody, Brown said, and a search is on for him.

Brown said authorities had gotten physical evidence of the woman's death that also linked Lauren to the death.

He said investigators are looking for Lauterbach's body in a residential wooded area in Onslow County.

Brown said investigators just learned of Lauterbach's death Friday morning and he had expected a positive outcome in the case earlier in the day.

"I just wanted to cry" when learning of her death, he said.

Paul Ciccarelli, a special agent with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, said Lauren had carried on a relationship with Lauterbach after her rape complaint against him.

Lauterbach was to give testimony in a military hearing on the rape charges scheduled for late December, Ciccarelli said.

Ciccarelli said Lauren was not considered a flight risk.

Lauterbach had purchased a bus ticket the day she went missing from Camp Lejeune but never used it, Brown said earlier.

Brown said the ticket was from Jacksonville, North Carolina, to El Paso, Texas.

Roshaun Hames told CNN affiliate WNCT-TV on Friday that he sold the ticket to Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach around 5 p.m. on December 14.

Hames said he thought Lauterbach was alone when she bought the ticket and that she drove off after asking if she could leave her car at the station, WNCT reported.

The ticket was good for six months, but Lauterbach was scheduled to use it December 15, Hames told WNCT, the day Lauterbach's car was left near the station. Bus records show the ticket was never used, Hames said.

The sheriff also said Lauterbach's ATM card was used at the Jacksonville Wal-Mart on December 24, according to CNN affiliate WITN-TV.

(snip)

Military investigators also "confirmed the history of compulsive lying," the report said, adding Lauterbach was facing a possible discharge from the Marine Corps and was under personal and professional stress.

A Marine Corps Times story Thursday, citing unnamed sources, said Lauterbach may have fled her post after withdrawing the sexual assault allegations because she feared being charged with making a false statement. The newspaper said the allegations were lodged with Marine Corps officials last year and later withdrawn.

The Marine Corps has brought Lauterbach's roommate, Sgt. Daniel Robert Durham, back to North Carolina from a training deployment in California to answer questions.

(snip)

The Onslow County report said Durham told police that he had made his home available to Lauterbach "out of sympathy for her situation" and that the two had shared the home for a short period of time.

Durham said he noticed nothing unusual in Lauterbach's behavior before she disappeared, but he said, "She had been upset by a phone call from her stepmother."

A few items of Lauterbach's were missing, he said -- her car, some cosmetics and clothing -- that led him to believe she may have left willingly. However, Durham told police that Lauterbach was confined to bed most of the time because of her pregnancy and that she "was in no shape for extended outings," according to the reports.

Brown called Durham a close friend who may be the last person known to have talked with Lauterbach before her disappearance.

Brown said Lauterbach may have been due to give birth January 8. The police reports, however, said she was due on February 14 and did not show up for a prenatal medical appointment December 28.

Lauterbach's cell phone was found on a roadside near Camp Lejeune on December 20. Her car was found Monday in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant, Brown said, and apparently had been there since December 15. The car was processed, he said, but nothing of value was found.

Investigators have said a withdrawal from Lauterbach's bank account was made on December 14 and there was "suspicious activity" on the account 10 days later. Police reports said Lauterbach's ATM card was used at a Marine Federal Credit Union by a man who attempted to cover the surveillance camera with a rag while he withdrew money from her account.

click to read rest of story
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/01/11/missing.marine/index.html

© 2008 Cable News Network
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry this story didn't turn out better. I didn't think it would but there was always room for some hope.

Maybe justice can be served in this case. Let us know when they recover the body. I don't think it was mentioned they found her yet. I felt sorry for the victim all along as she appeared to be a confused person. So sad...

Goz
maresy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have found a "cavity" in the backyard of the suspect. The police said there is no need to look any further.
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Update- deal offered Reply with quote

<snip>
Deal Offered in Missing Marine Case
Friday, January 25, 2008

By ESTES THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. — If a Marine wanted in the killing of a 20-year-old pregnant colleague is arrested in Mexico, he will not face lethal injection in North Carolina under a deal offered by prosecutors to the Marine and Mexican authorities.

Investigators believe Cpl. Cesar Laurean has fled to his native Mexico, which refuses to send anyone back to the U.S. unless provided assurances they won't face the death penalty.

On Thursday, Onslow County District Attorney Dewey Hudson announced an indictment charging Laurean, 21, with first-degree murder.

"The choices presented to me were either a possible life without parole sentence, or the defendant living in Mexico the rest of his life and never brought to trial," he said.

The remains of Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach, 20, were found with those of her fetus earlier this month in a fire pit in Laurean's back yard. Lauterbach, who had once accused Laurean of rape, had been missing since mid-December. Military investigators are still working to identify the father of Lauterbach's unborn child, Hudson said.

Laurean fled Jacksonville in early January, leaving a note for his wife, Christina, that said Lauterbach slit her own throat with a knife, and he then buried her in the woods near their home. Detectives have rejected that claim, and an autopsy found that Lauterbach died of blunt force trauma to the head.

*****Authorities determined that Lauterbach's child had not been born at the time of her death, Hudson said, so prosecutors can only charge Laurean with one count of murder.

The grand jury also charged Laurean with robbery with a dangerous weapon and a charge involving an unauthorized financial transaction involving card theft. The indictment states Laurean forced Lauterbach to remove money from her bank account Dec. 14, the day authorities believe he killed her.

Laurean is also accused of trying to use Lauterbach's ATM card on Christmas Eve, and was charged with attempted card fraud and obtaining property by false pretenses.
<snip>

I think he should take the deal which is rather generous! I'm so sorry he is not charged with murder for the baby.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Jan25/0,4670,MissingMarine,00.html
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

(Fair Use)

Fox News
Ohio Lawmaker Criticizes Marine Corps for Handling of Marine Rape Victim' s Allegations
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Associated Press

SNIP
DAYTON, Ohio — A lawmaker chided the Marine Corps on Thursday for what he called a lack of urgency in investigating rape allegations made by a pregnant Marine against a colleague later accused in her slaying, and experts called for greater protection of such victims.

Rep. Michael Turner, who submitted questions to the Marines on behalf of the woman's Ohio family, said the corps took seven months to investigate Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach's allegation that she was raped by Cpl. Cesar Laurean and that it resulted in little action. Laurean is charged in Lauterbach's death, and investigators believe he fled to his native Mexico.

"The actions taken by the Marine Corps to protect Lance Corporal Maria Lauterbach were totally inadequate," said Turner, a Republican whose district includes the Lauterbach's home in Vandalia.

The charred remains of Lauterbach and her fetus were found buried in Laurean's backyard in North Carolina in January.

Lt. Gen. R.S. Kramlich, director of the Marine Corps staff, said in a letter released Wednesday in response to Turner's questions that the Marines took appropriate steps to fully investigate the sexual assault allegations.

Kramlich said Lauterbach had told investigators she did not feel Laurean posed a danger or threat to her.

The Lauterbach case follows a pattern, Anita Sanchez, spokeswoman for the Miles Foundation, a private group that works with victims of crimes in the military, said Thursday.

"Some of the common threads include failure to protect the victim adequately, the victim remaining in the same vicinity as the alleged assailant," Sanchez said.

Scott Berkowitz, founder and president of the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network, said rape allegations must be taken seriously and investigated quickly or future victims could be discouraged from reporting them. And he said victims should not be prevented from transferring away from a military base where an attack occurred.
SNIP

Hit link for rest of article

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,350048,00.htm
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Captured- yea baby Reply with quote

(Fair Use)

Fugitive Marine Caught in Mexico, Faces Murder Charge in North Carolina
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Fox News
The Associated Press

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,350032,00.html

(photo's)

A North Carolina-based Marine wanted in the brutal murder of a pregnant colleague has been captured in Mexico.

The FBI office in Charlotte said Thursday night that special agents and Mexican authorities arrested Marine Cpl. Cesar Laurean, and he is expected to be extradited to the United States on a murder charge in the slaying of Marine Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach.

Thank God we got this guy.....
rd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!!!! they caught him! great news, goz.

One less silent ex, one more justice for a missing woman.

May Maria rest in peace.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD, I'm so happy this peice of garbage did not get away from justice.

Hope we get some more F Ups.

May she rest in peace and her family have justice.

Goz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: