www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who Killed Thersa Allore?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jane

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Who Killed Thersa Allore? Reply with quote

This is a link to a site by the sibling a young woman murdered in Quebec in 1978.
http://www.whokilledtheresa.com/

Quote:
When you have lived with an unanswerable and shattering question since the age of 14, as Allore has, there are several tactics you can take.... You can gently close the book because you know the answer will not bring your sweet child back, which is what his parents have done.

Or you can run. John Allore opted to put distance, even a national border, between himself and the past....

But life has a way of catching up with you, and it caught up with Allore in a manner so stark that it bordered on the comical. He had taken a job as treasury manager of the city of Durham; he and his wife, Elisabeth, had two daughters, and felt settled enough to buy their first house, a "fixer-upper" on a pretty wooded lane. One day, less than two months after they moved in, the State Bureau of Investigation, county sheriff and two forensic teams arrived on their doorstep with sniffer dogs. They were looking for the body of a local woman named Deborah Key, who they suspected had been killed in the house by the previous owner.

The Allores watched as the police dismantled their septic tank searching for body parts, while the hounds bounded around the property. One dog finally picked up a scent in the crawl space under the house. It was a trace of the woman, enough to excite the dog, who started pacing and scratching in the rich Carolina clay....

Over the ensuing months, as the investigators doggedly kept up their search for Deborah Key, even bringing over a psychic with her preposterous, only-in-America television crew in tow, John began to feel called to action.

What the police were doing for Deborah Key, he realized, he had never done for his sister. His brother, Andre, had tried, and all but given up. Nobody else, ever, was going to investigate the crime that was her death. He had to try.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In March, 2001, John called me in Toronto. We had been in touch off and on since university, having been high school sweethearts and then wary friends. I had last seen him in Los Angeles in 1995; I was researching a serial homicide case for a book I was writing, and I enlisted his help. We drove around Van Nuys while I checked the apartments and bars where a woman named Carole Bundy and her boyfriend Doug Clark had abducted and murdered several women. Fate does love irony.

Now it was his turn to call upon me for assistance. "What do you remember about what happened to my sister?" he ventured.

I cast my mind back to the autumn of 1979, when I had arrived at boarding school in Rothesay, N.B., and met John for the first time. His family had moved to New Brunswick from Montreal in the summer of '78, leaving Theresa and her brother Andre behind to finish the Quebec version of Grades 12 and 13 at the Cégep in Lennoxville.

I recall being told Theresa had gone missing from her campus, and been found six months later enmeshed in the thawing ice of a creek beside a corn field, stripped down to her bra and panties.

The following autumn, I ventured into the realm of a ruined family with the typical insouciance of a 15-year-old. I still feel ashamed about that, all these years later, how I noticed the silences in the house but didn't really understand them. I remember pictures of Theresa, with her curly auburn hair and dark, amused eyes. Her personality -- intelligent, independent, witty -- shone through the images. I remember sleeping in her bedroom when I received "weekend leave" from school, and noticing her hiking boots lined up neatly by the closet door.

I remember John telling me her story: how the investigators advised the Allores that their daughter, a fearless girl who rock-climbed and sky-dived, had possibly overdosed on drugs, and been taken from her dorm to the creek by panicked friends. There was talk of her choking on vomit, or perhaps having an allergic reaction. Two months after her body was found, the Sûreté du Québec mailed her personal effects -- her wallet, her watch and earrings -- to the family. Apparently, as far as the Sûreté was concerned, she had been pulled under by the riptide of '70s party culture.

"Sooner or later, someone will talk," investigators assured them.

But for 23 years, no one had said a word.

From North Carolina, John asked me if I could write an article, to somehow encourage those kids -- those well-heeled, middle-class Canadian kids who had dumped their friend's corpse -- to break a conspiracy of silence they had apparently observed since 1978, and come forward with an account of Theresa's last night.

I thought about this, but from a different perspective than I would have had at the age of 15, when everything grown-ups said was true.

"I don't buy the theory, John. It doesn't make sense to me," I ventured....

jane

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This indifference on the part of the police must be so painful for families of victims. The police, in some cases, don't want to investigate the case, but won't turn information over to the family so they can do so.
Quote:
...."I was just over at Champlain College talking to Gerald Cutting," [John, Theresa's brother] said, referring to the director of the Cégep, who had been the newly appointed director of student services in the autumn of Theresa's disappearance. "Cutting told me that the Sûreté thought way back in '79 that Theresa was murdered."

...It seemed inconceivable that the Sûreté's chief investigator, Roch Gaudreault, could have left the Allore family with the impression that their daughter's death was a mishap, when he himself was chasing suspects and talking to Cutting --with whom the investigator had gone to high school -- about his theories of foul play. Why was the family not informed?

Fourteen years after his sister died, Andre Allore had tracked the retired Gaudreault down for a brief and fruitless phone conversation. Gaudreault reiterated the drug overdose theory, but otherwise had nothing to say. "I got the impression," Andre wrote in his notebook, "that Gaudreault couldn't understand why this was still bothering me."

When I arrived in Sherbrooke, John had already been to the office of the Sûreté du Québec. Corporal Robert Theoret, a handsome, curly-haired man who didn't miss a trick, was cordial and watchful as John pored over sections of Theresa's crime file for seven hours. Theoret had removed from the file -- as we later determined -- the listing of evidence, photographs of the crime scene, certain witness statements, Gaudreault's final report, and all notations about suspects, which remain confidential under Canada's privacy laws.

When he had first written to them from Chapel Hill in early summer, 2001, the Sûreté had offered John broader access to the file, but by March, 2002, they were restricting what he could see. Perhaps they were feeling defensive, or maybe this was standard protocol. They certainly weren't worried about compromising their investigation. John asked Theoret if he would investigate, given the revelation from Cutting that his sister was probably murdered. As he recalls, Theoret was smooth and affable but evinced little interest, pointing out that he was short-staffed. "I have lots of cases," he said. "Why should I investigate this case?"

All right, John said. "I want to investigate it myself, then. What was Roch Gaudreault's final conclusion?"

That information is privileged, Corporal Theoret replied.

gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane, I was hoping the Police would open the investigation on this cold case. How very sad.

Quote:
All right, John said. "I want to investigate it myself, then. What was Roch Gaudreault's final conclusion?"

That information is privileged, Corporal Theoret replied.

If this being the case, John should have had access to all information. LE can do what they want I guess! Just pathetic. Thanks for posting this story.

Goz
jane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I've been reading more about Theresa Allore's case. This must have been a really eerie experience for her family:

Quote:
On Valentine's Day, 1979, Robert and Marilyn Allore and their younger son, John, were having dinner around their pretty glass dining table at their house in Saint John, N.B., knives and forks clattering gently, the conversation quiet, when a piece of plaster suddenly loosed itself from the ceiling, and fell to the table in the shape of a heart. I remember John telling me about this when I later sat at the same table for dinner. We had met at boarding school and had begun to date, and John told me how he knew then -- how they all knew, in that instant -- that Theresa wasn't missing. She was dead.

Her body was found on Good Friday, April 13, 1979. To this date, her death remains unexplained.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: