www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M.Winkler Asks for New Trial Before Sentencing for MS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: M.Winkler Asks for New Trial Before Sentencing for MS Reply with quote

What a risk Mary is taking trying to get a new trial. The jury may find her guilty of murder. I think she slid out of a murder verdict the last time she was in court. Mary, Mary, Mary. Maybe if she gets a new trial she will be charged with what I think she really deserves.

Goz

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,278555,00.html?sPage=fnc.national/crime

Mary Winkler Asks for New Trial Before Sentencing for Manslaughter Conviction

<snip>
SELMER, Tenn. — A minister's wife convicted of killing her husband will ask for a new trial when she returns to court for sentencing on Friday, a defense lawyer said Tuesday.

Mary Winkler faces up to six years in prison for the shooting of her husband, Matthew Winkler, in the back with a shotgun in March 2006.

A jury convicted the 33-year-old in April of voluntary manslaughter, a lesser charge than murder, following testimony she had been physically and mentally abused by her husband.

Winkler's petition was filed Friday with Judge Weber McCraw, who presided over her trial and will decide on her sentence.
<snip>
Sherry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where someone can be abused and others don't see it, but shooting someone in the back is just not the way to do this......

She's an odd duck, I think. Not sure what the truth is there, I've not followed the case as much as others, I didn't even realize she had already received her verdict......
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary is one strange duck and I don't believe for one minute she was abused.

The verdict is in on her sentence but I did not get to hear it. Either I will print it or someone will. Been searching around for it but what I have read is not clear enough to print. Looks like she got the upperhand though.

Guess you can shoot a guy in the back and skate away in TN.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard (between the Paris news) that Mary will be going away for 270 days. Wow, what a joke.

No justice for Matthew and his family.
Sherry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's NOTHING.

I don't know what the full story is, but did she shoot him in the back while he was sleeping?
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sherry, she shot him in the back. Here is a better link from The Court TV newsletter. I posted a snip. We also have a few threads on the board about the Winkler case.

<snip>

SELMER, Tenn. — The wife a Tennessee preacher who claims she killed her husband after enduring years of abuse received a three-year sentence Friday, including probation.

Because of allowances for probation, time served and some confinement in a mental health facility, Mary Winkler could spend little more than a week in prison.

Judge Weber McCraw ordered that Winkler be confined for 210 days of her sentence, but allowed 60 of those days to be spent in a mental health facility. Because Winkler already served five months in prison while awaiting trial, she might only serve the final 60 days iof her sentence in a mental health facility. (VIDEO)

Winkler, 33, was convicted in April of voluntary manslaughter for shooting Matthew Winkler in the back while he lay in bed. The jury opted not to convict her of first-degree murder, which could have carried a 55-year sentence.

McCraw delivered his sentence before a standing room only courtroom filled with members of the community and relatives of Matthew and Mary Winkler.
<snip>

http://www.courttv.com/trials/winkler/060807_sentence_ctv.html?link=newsletter

A walk in the park for Mary.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Mary Update: She is still in jail Reply with quote

Mary has completed her walk in the park and served her big 7 days in jail.
She is awaiting to be transferred to a mental health facility to serve out the rest of her sentence. (60 days, wow) Every offender should be as lucky as Mary to sit in front of such a great Jury!*! I hope we never have to read about Mary again. What a sentence for shooting her unarmed, sleeping husband in the back.

Goz

More at link below

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070618/NEWS01/70618016
Sherry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stunned, just completely stunned.....

You know, even if she was "abused" mentally, shooting someone in the back while they slept is just WRONG!

Personally, I'd want to be looking them in the eyes and let them know that this was for all the times they told me I couldn't!

I guess it's easier to be weak for some, though. And sadly enough, weak is what she is.......
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Mary in Mental Health F. Reply with quote

I forget to add that Mary has been transferred to a Mental Health Facility as of last week to get the HELP she so needs. She has mental issues as we all know-- Depression, PTSD, etc. Maybe after this small stay in the MHF, Miss Mary will not be shooting anyone in the back.

Oh, I will be sad the day she walks the street.

Goz

http://www.courttv.com/trials/winkler/062107_release_ctv.html
From CRT. TV newsletter

<snip>
A preacher's wife who was convicted of manslaughter for shooting her husband to death left jail Wednesday for a mental health facility, where she will serve the remainder of her sentence.

After spending 13 days in McNairy County jail in Selmer, Tenn., Mary Winkler was transferred to an undisclosed mental health facility, where she will receive treatment for longstanding mental health issues, including post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and a mild personality disorder.

Circuit Judge Weber McCraw, who presided over Winkler's murder trial and gave her the option of serving some of her sentence in a mental health facility, signed the sealed order releasing Winkler Wednesday.

"At the provider's request and to ensure she has the treatment she needs, the name and location of the facility are not being disclosed," Tennessee Supreme Court public information officer Sue Allison said.

Winkler was convicted of voluntary manslaughter in April for shooting Matthew Winkler in the back as he lay in bed in the family parsonage on March 22, 2006
<snip>
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Mary wants custody of her kids Reply with quote

Mary wants her kids back from her in-laws. I hope that this never happens as I do not think after shooting Matthew in the back she is fit to raise children. She already fooled the court once, (IMO).

http://www.wrcbtv.com/news/index.cfm?sid=10123

<snip>
Local News - National News - International News

Court Steps Out of Winkler Custody Battle

The Tennessee Court of Appeals declined to get involved in a custody battle over the three children of a West Tennessee minister killed by his wife.

Mary Winkler of Selmer had asked to file an extraordinary appeal to the court asking it to intervene in efforts by her late husband's parents to cut off her parental rights and adopt the couple's children.

An order released today said the appeals court does not have jurisdiction over the case at this time. The decision returns the case to McNairy County Juvenile Court, which has yet to issue a final ruling on the custody issue.
<snip>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: