www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing: Tara Grant, Michigan- 2/9/07
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Missing: Tara Grant, Michigan- 2/9/07 Reply with quote

I heard about this case on Nancy Grace last night.

Tara Grant
Missing: 2/9/07
Hair and Eyes: Brown
Wt: 120lbs

Description of Disappearance:
Unknown. Tara was last seen at approximately 10:30pm at her residence in the vicinity of Mile 28 and Campground area in Washington Township, MI. She had returned home after a week long business trip and after getting into a verbal dispute with a family member she allegedly left in a dark colored vehicle, possibly a black Cadillac sedan.

See Link for Pic and information.

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200705136S
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: case Reply with quote

Police address grim reality in Grant disappearance
February 27, 2007

BY CHRISTY ARBOSCELLO

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

As the 18th day of Tara Grant’s disappearance lumbers on, police are checking on local Jane Does in case the Washington Township woman is no longer alive.

“In this business, you have to be realistic,” Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel said today. “As difficult as it may be to say this and for people to hear that, we do have to check on that.”

Still hopeful she is not dead, authorities are sifting through 15 to 20 leads a day and are receiving help from the National Center for Missing Adults. They are brainstorming over another search in an undetermined area after last weekend’s search in the Stony Creek and Macomb Orchard Trail areas didn’t uncover anything.

Anyone with information can visit www.missingadults.org, call the national organization’s hot line at 800-690-3463 or call the Sheriff’s Office at 586-307-9358 anytime.

Contact CHRISTY OYAMA-ARBOSCELLO at 586-469-8085.
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: New Details Emerge In Disappearance of Tara Reply with quote

New Details Emerge In Disappearance of Tara Lynn Grant

By David Lohr

February 22, 2007

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (Crime Library ) — There have been new developments in the investigation into the disappearance of 34-year-old Tara Lynn Grant. According to the Macomb County Sheriff's Department, they are examining a series of e-mail messages they received from a woman claiming to be an ex-girlfriend of Stephen Grant.

Yesterday, The Detroit News published a partial transcript of e-mails Grant allegedly exchanged on January 25 with his ex-girlfriend, whom authorities have chosen not to identify. It has not been made clear if the timestamps are a.m. or p.m. :

Grant (10:38): I hope you keep at the nursing thing. You never know when I might need a sponge bath...if you want to practice let me know!

Ex-girlfriend (10:45): You are married. You shouldn't talk like that. How would you feel if Tear-ah was talking like that to the old Geezer?

Ex-girlfriend (10:49): So what are you going to do about the cheatin' wife? I am so frickn' bored today.

Grant (11:43): I was only being helpful with the offer to be a test subject. I know they often draw blood from each other, etc. I was just being supportive not dirty. I don't care about being married, I never have...It is that no conscience thing I think!

Ex-girlfriend (11:50): You have not changed a bit. Don't you worry about being burned eternally by the devil? Why did you get married in the first place? Seemed like the cool thing to do?

Next Page

Tara Lynn Grant Disappears After An Argument With Her Husband

Contact David Lohr at crimewriter74@hughes.net

Page 1

Link for rest of article

http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/original/0207/2202_tara_grant2.html
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Husband Refuses Polygraph Test Reply with quote

Missing Woman's Husband Refuses Polygraph Test
Tara Grant Missing Since Feb. 9

POSTED: 9:23 am EST February 20, 2007

Officials said they continue to investigate the disappearance of a Washington Township woman who has been reported missing for nearly two weeks.

The family of Tara Grant reported her missing on Feb. 9. They told police she was last seen at her Washington Township home where she resides with her husband Stephen, and their two children, ages 4 and 6 years old, according to a Macomb County Sheriff's news release.

Grant's family became worried after she failed to make a business trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The sheriff's department offered Grant's husband, Stephen, a polygraph test, but they said he refused to take it. Stephen's attorney told officials that he would consider taking a polygraph test as long as someone else administers it, Local 4 reported.

Local 4 learned that Grant and Stephen had an argument the night before her disappearance. Stephen told police Grant left their home following the argument and got into a car that he thought was a Metro Car.

During the investigation, police said Grant's cell phone was turned off and her credit cards had not been used.

Investigators said they will continue to search for clues, and said there are no records that a Metro Car picked her up in front of her home.

Anyone information on Grant's whereabouts is asked to call the Macomb County Sheriff's Department at 586-469-5151.

Investigators Comments On Missing Woman

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/11061203/detail.html?subid=22100415&qs=1;bp=t
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: older links Reply with quote

Search continues for missing Macomb County woman
February 17, 2007

By BEN SCHMITT

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

As investigators continue searching for a missing 34-year-old Washington Township woman, an attorney for her husband said a private detective is also on the case.

Tara Lynn Grant, 34, argued with her husband over too many business trips and left her home late Feb. 9, said attorney David Griem, retained by Stephen Grant.

Advertisement

"Her job takes her all over the world and he felt that she should be spending more time with their children," Griem said Saturday.

The couple has two children, 4 and 6. Tara Grant is an executive with a Troy construction company.

Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel described the disappearance as "a mystery to us."

Tara Grant's cell phone has been turned off and she hasn't used her credit cards since she left, Hackel said. She has not returned to work, he said.

Hackel said Tara Grant made her last cell phone call to her husband on Feb. 9 after she returned to Michigan from a business trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Griem said his client said Tara Grant got into a dark-colored, 4-door vehicle late Feb. 9 and he hasn't heard from her since.

Griem said Stephen Grant reported his wife missing on Tuesday. He said they have hired a former FBI agent as a private detective.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070217/NEWS04/70217016/1006

Comments:
I will be posting about this missing case shortly. My thoughts go out to Tara and I pray she will be found soon.

Gozgals
rd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought women disappearing with an ex who isn't talking was going to slow down, but I guess not, goz. Thanks to Nancy Grace for helping to try to find her. Looking forward to your thoughts.

rd

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

www.justiceforchandra.com home page
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: first thoughts Reply with quote

RD:

If you continue to read Grants emails from the crime library, it appears he still maintains some rather intimate contact with his old girlfriend which seems rather hinky to me. He alludes to the fact his wife may be cheating but there is no indications of her being unfaithful.

Grant refuses a poly which makes him suspect to me and he appears to be like other men we see portrayed on this site, a man who does not want to be married anymore. I think he killed his wife, even if I may be rushing to judgment. If he has nothing to hide, why not cooperate with the police? His attitude to toward marriage seems to be very nonchalant and he appears to be on the prowl from other articles I have read. He seems to have a problem with Tara being away from home pursing her career too.

Unless she just walked away from the marriage, (which I doubt, due to the children) he is my prime suspect in this disappearance.

PS: Any word on Hans case yet?

Gozgals
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Au pair backs up husband's Tara story Reply with quote

PUBLISHED: Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Au pair backs up husband's Tara story

She returned to Grants' home night mom went missing

By Chad Halcom
Macomb Daily Staff Writer

Verena Dierkes, right, served as a caregiver for Tara Grant, left, and her family for six months.
Submitted photo

An au pair for the family of a missing Washington Township woman corroborated the husband's account of events the night his wife disappeared, in a phone interview from her native Germany on Tuesday.
Verena Dierkes, 19, who served as the au pair caregiver to the family of Tara Lynn Grant for roughly six months ending a week after Mrs. Grant's disappearance, told The Macomb Daily that husband Stephen Grant rushed to her in an excited state as she returned to the home, within an hour after his wife disappeared.

"When I was opening the door and came into the house, he must have thought it was Tara because he was coming down the stairs and I heard him shout 'Where were you?' or 'What are you coming back for now?' or something. And then he saw it was me," she recalled of an exchange with Stephen Grant on Feb. 9, shortly before midnight.

"And he apologized right away, and told me that he had a fight with Tara. She wasn't there, and he told me right away about it and just said that she left."

Dierkes also confirmed statements police have attributed to her that she had the night off from her au pair duties the evening Mrs. Grant vanished, and returned from a social outing sometime between 11:30 and midnight. Mrs. Grant's vehicle was not at the upscale family home on Westridge when she had left earlier in the evening, but she said it was in the garage when she returned.

Dierkes also said it was not unheard of for the Grants to argue, but they were generally a family with a nearly "perfect" home life. She also said she has no idea of Mrs. Grant's whereabouts and indicated she does not believe Stephen Grant does either.

"They would argue, sometimes, but it was just the kind of arguing you might see from any married people. I know this from seeing my own (parents)," she said. "It wasn't anything other than that, or more than that. They got along and had a good family."

No one has seen Mrs. Grant, 34, a mother of two and operations manager for Washington Group International at its Troy office, since the alleged Feb. 9 argument with Stephen Grant on the evening she returned from a business trip to Puerto Rico.

Grant contacted Macomb County Sheriff's deputies on Valentine's Day, five days after his alleged argument with her, to report her missing.

Grant has maintained he held off contacting police at first because he thought his wife might be "blowing off steam" and would show up again. But he did contact several other people including a co-worker and one-time reputed love interest down in San Juan, Puerto Rico. No one had seen her.

Two days after police began investigating, Grant and Dierkes both said the placement service that had assigned Dierkes to the home removed her as a matter of policy, even though she wished to stay. She stayed at an area home of a "counselor" of the company for several days afterward, but without another placement with a new family she has returned home to Germany.

"Now I have to stay here for at least a while," she said. "But if it's a choice of staying here or going to another family then this is fine, because I felt the Grant family is perfect.

"Everyone (in the family) accepted me equally and I feel close to all of them. To the kids, to Stephen, and to Tara."

Stephen Grant largely echoed Dierkes' account of their exchange except that he thought Dierkes showed up "minutes" after his wife left and that his words to her were "Are you staying or going?" before realizing it was not his wife returning home.

"I don't know all the exact times for everything that happened," he said. "I know about how long we were talking on the phone before she (Mrs. Grant) showed up. I know I was folding laundry and knew how long that took. Tara was only home maybe a little over 30 minutes at most. But I don't remember the time."

The couple allegedly argued after she returned from the Puerto Rico trip sometime after 10:30 that night and informed him she would need to return there almost immediately.

Stephen Grant has told police he heard her tell someone she would "be right out" or meet them at the end of the driveway, from another room. She then left the home and got into a black or dark-colored sedan and has not been seen since, according to the husband's account.

Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel has indicated his officers have spoken to the family's past and present au pairs, though he didn't name Dierkes personally, and related that a nanny or au pair did see Mrs. Grant's personal vehicle at the house when she returned that evening.

He also said Tuesday he would not get into further specifics on who has spoken with his detectives thus far or what they have said.

Hackel also said Tuesday that the investigation continues even though the Grant probe still remains a "missing persons" case, with no evidence of any crime as yet.

But the probe has included checking all law enforcement and county or municipal morgue reports of any unidentified bodies found since Mrs. Grant's disappearance.

"That is something we have done, locally and elsewhere, and we've been in contact or checked out some of those reports even locally," he said. "Because people need to realize part of the investigation is looking into the possibility that something did happen to her. We have to check that out."

Kym Pasqualini, chief executive officer of the National Center for Missing Adults in Phoenix, said the Tara Grant case is now part of her agency's online database and she hopes the state and national coverage leads someone to locate her.

The most recent available statistics suggest that Mrs. Grant is just one of 4,423 active missing persons cases in Michigan -- most of them juveniles. The cases fall generally into five categories -- endangered missing persons, cases of disability, "catastrophe victims" who are missing, involuntary missing or abducted persons, and "other."

"That's what's different about Tara's case. It would be a difficult task for law enforcement to determine what kind of case this is because there is no crime scene or definite location where it's believed she went missing," Pasqualini said. "Based on my 13 years' experience with (missing persons), I'd think they would classify this as 'endangered missing adult.'"

Police have said there is no indication Mrs. Grant got on another plane to go anywhere after Feb. 9 and there has been no activity on her business account, personal credit cards, cell phone or computer.

Sheriff's officials are asking anyone with information about Mrs. Grant to contact the detective bureau at (586) 307-9358, or after hours at 307-9412. The National Center for Missing Adults is also taking reports via a tip hotline at (800) 690-FIND or online at the NCMA's Web site at www.theyaremissed.org.

http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/022807/loc_aupair001.shtml

[quote]Grant contacted Macomb County Sheriff's deputies on Valentine's Day, five days after his alleged argument with her, to report her missing./quote]
rd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"When I was opening the door and came into the house, he must have thought it was Tara because he was coming down the stairs and I heard him shout 'Where were you?' or 'What are you coming back for now?' or something. And then he saw it was me," she recalled of an exchange with Stephen Grant on Feb. 9, shortly before midnight.

"And he apologized right away, and told me that he had a fight with Tara. She wasn't there, and he told me right away about it and just said that she left."

Dierkes also confirmed statements police have attributed to her that she had the night off from her au pair duties the evening Mrs. Grant vanished, and returned from a social outing sometime between 11:30 and midnight. Mrs. Grant's vehicle was not at the upscale family home on Westridge when she had left earlier in the evening, but she said it was in the garage when she returned.

This appears to me to be feigned "I don't know where she went off to" behavior, for the benefit of a witness he knew would be coming in later. Run down the stairs and pretend he thought it was his wife coming back. But her car never left.

Sounds to me like she told him she wanted to end the marriage, so he ended her. He gets life insurance and everything she owns instead of paying her alimony and child support. It's just simple economics with guys like him and Scott Peterson.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rd:

Quote:
This appears to me to be feigned "I don't know where she went off to" behavior, for the benefit of a witness he knew would be coming in later. Run down the stairs and pretend he thought it was his wife coming back. But her car never left.

An Excellent Point I missed.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: updated article Reply with quote

Report: Police Eye Husband in Case of Michigan Mom Tara Grant Who Vanished From Detroit Suburb
Thursday, March 01, 2007

Tara Grant
DETROIT — Tara Grant, a 34-year-old suburban wife and mother of two whose management job regularly sends her to Puerto Rico disappears after her husband said she got into a waiting sedan in their driveway three weeks ago.

Her husband, Stephen Grant, alleges his wife has been unfaithful in e-mails to an ex-girlfriend and says he is tracking her communications on a home computer. He maintains his innocence — but says police have told him he's the focus of the case, a claim the sheriff denies. While he grants frequent interviews with reporters, he communicates only by fax with authorities since retaining a lawyer.

One 40-year-old Detroit-area woman with a full-time job and two kids of her own said she feel a personal connection to the story.

"Tara could be any woman — your sister, your friends, yourself," says Lisa Watson, who has written several entries about Grant on her blog, "The Lisa Life: My Life in a Suburban Town."

"She seems like a fairly normal (person). ... It always comes back to, 'Could that be me?"'

Police Search for Clues to Whereabouts of Missing Michigan Mom Who Disappeared From Home Husband of Missing Michigan Mom: 'I Have Nothing to Do With It' Grant, of Macomb County's Washington Township, has been missing since Feb. 9. Stephen Grant, 37, reported her missing five days later. He has said he waited to tell police because she might have been "blowing off steam" before returning home.

Police say the day she went missing, the Grants argued over her frequent business trips abroad. Her cell phone and credit cards haven't been used since that evening, when she returned home from a business trip to Puerto Rico.

A 4 1/2-hour search over the weekend through wooded areas near the couple's home turned up no clues.

Tara Grant and her husband have two children, ages 4 and 6. She works as an operations manager for Boise, Idaho-based Washington Group International, an engineering and construction firm with an office in the Detroit suburb of Troy.

The company said in a statement it's concerned over her disappearance and hopes for a safe return. Washington Group spokesman Jerry Holloway, who spent five days in the Troy office to help respond to the media calls, said managers and security staff have provided requested materials and information to the county sheriff's department.

After an initial two-hour interview with authorities, Stephen Grant has communicated only by fax with the sheriff's office — which his attorney, David Griem, says keeps the case objective.

Grant says authorities have told him he's the focus of the investigation.

Sheriff Mark Hackel denies Grant is a suspect but questions why some details that could be critical to the investigation were not provided.

Police have examined a series of e-mails turned over by a woman who identified herself as Stephen Grant's ex-girlfriend. The e-mails indicate that Grant suspected his wife was having an affair and installed a device on their home computer to track her communications.

Hackel says investigators want access to the computer but they don't have Stephen Grant's approval. He provided police with two laptops used by his wife.

Griem said he and his client did not release the home computer because it includes privileged information between Griem and Stephen Grant as well as Grant's personal and business documents, and was rarely if ever used by Tara Grant.

Griem said the computer and e-mail issues are examples of the sheriff's department using the media to try to "make an innocent man look guilty." As for Stephen Grant's numerous local TV appearances, Griem said they are a response to when his client has been "bashed" by the police.

Hackel said his department is asking questions because it's trying to get information and needs full cooperation from everybody involved.

The growing frenzy is a mixed blessing for the sheriff and the lawyer.

For Hackel, more exposure means more tips, including psychics who believe she is in a wooded area, and others who say they saw her in a Florida restaurant and on "Wheel of Fortune."

"We want attention drawn to the fact that Tara is missing," Hackel says. "The media is the one that gets it out — I can't knock on every door in my county, state or country.

"The downside ... is you get a lot of people calling with information that leads you nowhere, but you don't discount it. That's why it's so intense."

Griem, who said he received more than 40 media calls one day last week and has heard from "every national news show you can think of," said more coverage increases the odds she will come home or the case will be solved.

Still, he's surprised by the attention, when "poor women disappear from our cities and are many times never heard from."

The FBI's National Crime Information Center, a database reported by local and state law enforcement officials, had 24,037 missing women on its active list as of Jan. 1. Including girls, the list grows to 58,776, though an FBI spokesman said the numbers might be slightly lower because some solved cases haven't been cleared.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,255605,00.html?sPage=fnc.national/crime
rd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The search for Tara Grant has ended. Now the search for her husband begins.

They found her torso in the garage of the home of Tara and her husband. And still in Chandra's case, you have people who just can't believe bodies are moved.

Live and learn.

rd

from www.msnbc.com (fair use)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17428516/

Sheriff: Body part of Michigan woman found
Authorities cite probable cause for search; husband wanted for questioning
Associated Press
March 3, 2007

DETROIT - Investigators found what is believed to be the torso of a 34-year-old suburban wife and mother of two who disappeared last month and are seeking her husband as the suspect in her slaying, the Macomb County sheriff said Saturday.

Sheriff Mark Hackel said the torso was found in the garage of the home in Macomb County’s Washington Township shared by Tara Grant and her husband, Stephen, following a search that began Friday night.

Hackel said Stephen Grant was wanted for questioning. He said his office was working with county prosecutors to seek murder charges.

“He is the number one and at this time the only suspect in the murder of Tara Lynn Grant,” Hackel told reporters at a news conference in Mount Clemens.

Hackel said investigators were looking for other evidence and additional body parts. He said a search was planned for Saturday in Macomb County.

Tara Grant has been missing since Feb. 9. Stephen Grant, 37, reported her missing five days later. Police say the day she went missing, the Grants argued over her frequent business trips abroad.

Husband ‘ordered out of his home’
Stephen Grant’s lawyer, David Griem, said his client wasn’t arrested Friday but was “ordered out of his home” by the sheriff’s department.

Police have denied that Stephen Grant is a suspect in the case, but he has said authorities have told him he is the focus of the investigation.

Griem told The Associated Press that the search was unjustified.

“The real question here is, you have heard the police over the past two weeks continuously say that Stephen Grant is not a suspect,” Griem said. “You’ve heard the sheriff continuously answer questions from the media about a search of the Grant home, the sheriff’s answer consistently being, ‘We don’t have probable cause to search the Grant home.’

“The question I have for the police is, what has changed in the last several hours from what they have been saying for the past several weeks?”

Griem said he learned of the search when Grant called him from the back of a police car. Grant later let investigators inside and was picked up by his sister, then went to stay with family members, the attorney said.

Deputies cordoned off entrances leading into the Grants’ subdivision, allowing only residents with identification to enter, The Detroit News reported, and a mobile crime lab vehicle was at the house.

Hackel said the Michigan State Police crime lab was assisting in the search and media was being kept from the search area, in part to prevent disruptions to neighbors.

A 4 ½-hour search last weekend through wooded areas near the couple’s home 30 miles north of Detroit turned up no clues.

Media saturation
The case has been a daily fixture on local TV newscasts and in Detroit’s newspapers. It has conjured comparisons to media-saturated missing-women cases such as Laci Peterson and Natalee Holloway.

Tara Grant and her husband have two children, ages 4 and 6. She works as an operations manager for Boise, Idaho-based Washington Group International, an engineering and construction firm with an office in the Detroit suburb of Troy.

Her job regularly sent her to Puerto Rico.

© 2007 The Associated Press.
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just horrfied and in disbelief once again. I had heard the news as I was running out the door late this afternoon and had time to read a few articles and save them.

God bless Tara.
I am hoping they get the piece of dirt, (her husband) and bring him to justice quickly.

Gozgals
rd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like he was trying to fake his lawyer into thinking he's suicidal and then try to disappear.

That ain't going to work either. He might try suicide by police though or something like that once cornered.

This is one real scumbag, goz. A woman had to disappear because of that.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is one of the bigger scumbags we have seen here to date RD. I had this article on the "so called" suicide. I think he may try when surrounded as you stated. What a gruesome crime.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,256324,00.html

Cops Hunt Husband Charged With Murdering Wife in Michigan
Saturday, March 03, 2007

DETROIT — The husband of a 34-year-old wife and mother was being sought by investigators for her murder Saturday after police found her torso in the garage of the family's Michigan home.

Police issued an arrest warrant for Stephen Grant, charging him with the murder of his wife, Tara Grant, as well as disinterment and mutilation. Tara Grant was first reported missing Feb. 9.

Grant's lawyer, David Griem, said that the missing husband may have killed himself, but cops denied that.

"We have new information that leads us to believe Stephen Grant has not committed suicide and is still alive," said Sheriff Mark Hackel.

Hackel said a family member had helped with information on Grant's location, and that the department had tracked phone calls Grant made within the past two hours.

"We have an idea of where he might be," Hackel said, adding Grant is believed to be alone and not receiving help.

Hackel said Tara Grant's torso was found in the family's garage after a widespread search began Friday night, and additional body parts were located in a nearby public park.

The car Grant was last believed to be driving — a yellow 2006 Dodge Dakota extended-cab pickup truck — was found late Saturday night, but there was no sign of Grant, cops said.

In a recent phone call, Griem said he tried to talk down Grant from suicidal thoughts.

"It is my belief that Stephen Grant committed suicide," Griem told FOX News, adding that the husband and father of two was "emotionally distraught and suicidal."

"I spent some significant period of time begging him to meet with me and reminding him of all the reasons why he had to live: the foremost being a 4-year-old and a 6-year-old who love him very much," Griem said.

"His specific words made it clear to me that he was going to end his life when he hung up from the second telephone conversation I had with him," he told FOX News.

Hackel said investigators were looking for other evidence and additional body parts in the search Saturday near the home that included land in and around Stony Creek Metropark. About 100 law enforcement personnel were on hand for the search, he said, and the search would start again tomorrow at 9 a.m.

The search was hampered by snow on the ground, but Hackel said body parts were found. He declined to release details.

"They were in various locations," he said.

The sheriff's department parked its mobile command post is along a muddy dirt road covered in snow and ice. Drivers have been traveling up and down the road, taking a peek at the police and throng of media at the site.

Representatives from the sheriff's department, the Michigan State Police and Metroparks police have been driving down a side road toward the search area.

Tara Grant has been missing since Feb. 9. Stephen Grant, 37, reported her missing five days later. Police say the day she went missing, the Grants argued over her frequent business trips abroad.

Throughout the search, Stephen Grant has maintained his innocence.

Hackel said Stephen Grant was detained Friday before the search began, but returned to his home, where he let investigators inside and later left. Hackel said investigators didn't have evidence at the time to hold him.

"We have to follow the law," Hackel told reporters in Washington Township. "I cannot infringe on people's individual rights."

Hackel said his office also was working with prosecutors to determine whether anyone misled investigators, and those people — who Hackel declined to identify — also could face charges in the case.

Of the charges being brought against Stephen Grant, open murder is punishable by up to life in prison without parole, while disinterment and mutilation carries a penalty of up to 10 years behind bars.

The truck authorities were searching for was apparently borrowed by Stephen Grant from a friend who wasn't aware that Grant would be sought as a suspect, Hackel said.

Griem said his client last was in the Detroit area, but he didn't know exactly where.

Griem learned of the search when Grant called him from the back of a police car on Friday. Grant later let investigators inside and was picked up by his sister, then went to stay with family members, Griem said Friday.

Deputies cordoned off entrances leading into the Grants' subdivision, the sheriff said, and a Michigan State Police mobile crime lab vehicle was at the house.

A 4 1/2-hour search last weekend through wooded areas near the couple's home 30 miles north of Detroit turned up no clues.

Tara Grant was working as an operations manager for Boise, Idaho-based Washington Group International, an engineering and construction firm with an office in the Detroit suburb of Troy. Her job regularly sent her to Puerto Rico.

The Grants have two children, a 6-year-old girl and a 4-year-old boy who were staying Friday with Stephen Grant's sister, Kelly Utykanski of Sterling Heights. They did not see the search or their father being detained.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: