www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phil Spector Guilty of killing Lana Clarkson (case file)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Phil Spector Guilty of killing Lana Clarkson (case file) Reply with quote

I have been following Phil and Lana's case for a couple of years now.

http://www.tabloidcolumn.com/phil-spector.html

(various stories on Phil Spector)

The trial date set will be March 19 of Spector, who is accused of murdering actress Lana Clarkson at his Alhambra home in 2003 after many delays.

Did Lana kill herself as Phil claims or did he shoot her by accident or murder her?

Gozgals
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: From Court TV Reply with quote

http://www.courttv.com/trials/spector/index.html

Pretrial hearing coverage
PHOTO GALLERIES
Case in pictures

KEY DOCUMENTS
Civil Deposition
This civil deposition of Phil Spector in a suit against former lawyer Robert Shapiro could be used against the music legend in his murder trial (PDF).

Booking Record
This police department document features Spector's mugshot.

Complaint
Spector was charged with one count of murder for the death of Lana Clarkson.

Police Report
This supplemental report by one of the officers on the scene contains a narrative.

First Statement
This transcript reflects the statement given by Spector to police at the mogul's house the night of the shooting.

Stationhouse Statement
In a profanity-laden statement, Spector charges that the victim had no right to come to his "castle" and "blow her f---ing head open."

Guns, depression and rock 'n' roll
An unsealed deposition transcript reveals that once-powerful music man Phil Spector, now facing trial for the murder actress Lana Clarkson, has struggled with crippling depression for years, is under the regular care of a psychiatrist, and still disavows any responsibility for an alleged history of trouble when it comes to guns and women.

•Read more...
•Read the deposition
More Stories
PRETRIAL
•Jan. 26, 2006
Judge rules prosecutors can scan Spector's civil deposition
•Dec. 9, 2005
Prosecutor, now a judge, is stepping down
•Dec. 2, 2005
Trial date set
•Oct. 27, 2005
Spector's statements ruled admissible
•May 24, 2005
Spector's past gunplay admitted
•Jan. 7, 2005
Transcripts: Spector said he mistakenly shot actress
•Nov. 11, 2004
Judge releases transcripts
•Aug. 25, 2004
Spector hires ex-Gotti attorney
•Jan. 23, 2004
Prosecutors: Defense holding onto mystery evidence
INVESTIGATION
•Feb. 5, 2004
Mystery evidence: A fingernail
•Jan. 23, 2004
Prosecutors: Defense holding onto mystery evidence
•Sept. 19, 2003
Detectives submit findings in Spector shooting case
•June 4, 2003
Spector tells magazine actress killed herself
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Spector tells magazine Actress killed herself Reply with quote

Record producer Phil Spector tells magazine that actress killed herself

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Record producer Phil Spector denies that he killed an actress found dead at his mansion, telling Esquire magazine she "kissed the gun" before shooting herself.

"I have no idea why," Spector, speaking to the media for the first time since the shooting, told the magazine for its July issue. "I never knew her, never even saw her before that night. I have no idea who she was or what her agenda was."

Spector, 62, was arrested Feb. 3 for investigation of murder in connection with the death of Lana Clarkson. He was released after posting $1 million bail. He has not been charged and authorities say they are investigating.

A sheriff's statement issued in March said investigators had discounted suicide as a possible cause of death.

Spector told Esquire he did not know where Clarkson got the gun.

He said Clarkson was "loud and drunk" before they left the House of Blues club in Hollywood, where she worked as a hostess.

"She asked me for a ride home. Then she wanted to see the castle," Spector said, referring to his suburban mansion.

"She grabbed a bottle of tequila from the bar to take with her. I was not drunk. I wasn't drunk at all. There is no case. She killed herself," he said.

Spector insisted he is innocent. He called the police himself.

"It's 'Anatomy of a Frame-Up,"' Spector said. "I didn't do anything wrong. ... If they had a case, I'd be sitting in jail right now."

Spector, a legendary name in pop music, has worked with such artists as the Beatles, Ike and Tina Turner, Ramones, Shirelles and Ronettes and is credited with creating the distinctive, heavily layered "wall of sound" that gave an orchestra-like feeling to such pop classics as "Da Doo Ron Ron" and "Then He Kissed Me."

http://www.courttv.com/news/2003/0604/spector_ap.html
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Cameras allowed in courtroom Reply with quote

Judge OKs televising of Phil Spector murder trial

The risk of media sideshows like those in the Simpson case is offset by the public benefits of broadcast, the jurist said.

By Peter Y. Hong, Times Staff Writer
February 17, 2007

A Los Angeles judge ruled Friday that the murder trial of renowned music producer Phil Spector can be televised.

Superior Court Judge Larry Paul Fidler said that the risk of spawning "Dancing Itos" or other media sideshows reminiscent of the O.J. Simpson case is offset by the public benefits of live broadcasts.

"I'm sure Judge Ito did not expect to turn on 'The Tonight Show' and see the Dancing Itos," Fidler said, referring to a recurring television spoof of Judge Lance Ito, who presided over the 1995 Simpson trial. "I don't worry about seeing the Flying Fidlers."

The March 19 trial of Spector, who is accused of murdering actress Lana Clarkson at his Alhambra home in 2003, will be the first celebrity case televised in Los Angeles since Simpson was acquitted of charges he murdered his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman. Spector has pleaded not guilty and has been out on $1-million bail since 2003.

Critics contended that television cameras in the Simpson case affected the courtroom behavior of witnesses, lawyers and Judge Ito. The daily broadcasts turned trial participants into popular culture figures, often unfavorably, souring many judges on the notion of televised trials, Fidler noted.

Roger Rosen, one of Spector's lawyers, argued that "everybody behaves differently, acts differently" with cameras present. "A rainbow of problems develop."

The prosecutor in the case, head Deputy Dist. Atty. Patrick Dixon, said it is the district attorney's policy not to oppose cameras in the courtroom.

Fidler, however, said cameras would have several benefits, including dispelling the public's preconception that Spector and other wealthy individuals get special treatment.

"I don't think it does happen, but that is the public perception," he said.

For that reason, he said, "it is extremely important to allow the public to observe the trial."

Fidler also said that "it is unfair to treat one form of media different from another."

"Public scrutiny is a good thing," Fidler said.

Spector, the originator of the "wall of sound" recording technique who produced hits such as "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" and "Be My Baby," was not present in the courtroom for the ruling, but he will attend the trial.

Fidler noted that Spector's fame does not match that of Simpson at the time of his trial.

But the eccentric rock 'n' roll legend may well intrigue TV audiences. He has appeared in court with his hair wildly styled in a tumbleweed-like ball. One of Spector's lawyers, Bruce Cutler, is well-known for his theatrical defenses of mob figures.

Fidler said that if the television coverage became a distraction, he would stop it. "I believe it could be a positive factor. If I see it is not, I will end it."

Loyola Law School professor Laurie L. Levenson called Fidler's decision "a sign judges are more confident they can control their courtrooms. We're finally getting past the O.J. syndrome."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
peter.hong@latimes.com
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: more on what Spector has been saying over the years Reply with quote

Transcripts say Phil Spector initially told police he mistakenly shot actress

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Rock music producer Phil Spector initially told police he mistakenly shot actress Lana Clarkson, though he has since changed his story to suggest she committed suicide, according to newly released grand jury transcripts.

Alhambra Police Officer Beatrice Rodriguez testified that Spector told officers at his home, "What's wrong with you guys? What are you doing? I didn't mean to shoot her. It was an accident."

Spector, 64, who created rock 'n' roll's "wall of sound" recording technique, is charged with murdering Clarkson at his Alhambra mansion in early 2003. He has pleaded not guilty and is free on $1 million bail. He suggested in a 2003 interview with Esquire magazine that Clarkson, 40, may have shot herself.

The Los Angeles Times reported Friday on the contents of the five volumes of grand jury transcripts, which include testimony from police, women who had been previously threatened by Spector, and friends of Clarkson. The documents were made available this week after media organizations including the Times and The Associated Press won a legal battle to unseal them.

According to the transcripts cited by the Times, Spector's chauffeur, Adriano De Souza, testified that after he heard a gunshot while waiting outside, Spector emerged from his home holding a revolver and said, "I think I killed somebody."

Three women also testified that Spector, in separate incidents, had acted recklessly and threatened them with a gun. Prosecutor Doug Sortino told grand jurors their testimony demonstrated that Spector was guilty of implied malice, meaning he acted in such an "inherently dangerous" way that he could be responsible for murder.

The most recent incident came at a 1999 holiday party at a Beverly Hills-area home. Deborah Strand told the grand jury that she saw a man she later learned was Spector flicking ash from his cigar on her boyfriend's dog after it jumped on him.

When she told him, "You can leave," Spector turned around and pointed a gun at her right cheek, she testified.

"He said, 'What are you going to say now?"' she told the grand jury. "He looked at me, and I looked at his bodyguard (who) was standing by the entranceway and I said, 'Get him out of here now.' ... That registered in his head, and he immediately took the gun off of my face, put it away; and in a matter of seconds they left without force. They just walked out, that was it."

A Superior Court judge said in November that Spector's lawyers failed to show how releasing the grand jury transcripts would prevent a fair jury from being chosen for trial. On Wednesday, an appellate court lifted an order staying release of the documents.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2005/0107/spector_ap.html
jane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Phil Spector's ex-wife's book (Ronnie of Ronettes fame - "Be My Baby"). He produced the Ronettes' records and Ronnie fell in love with him, not knowing he was already married. He was extremely controlling. They adopted a baby after they married, and Phil led friends to believe that Ronnie had given birth to the child. He was a pretty weird guy, albeit a talented record producer decades ago. Probably mentally ill, I would guess.
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard Ronnie speak about the controlling ways of Phil and also how he battered her. I also have read numerous articles and had some filed on how he waved guns at musicians who worked with him and held their music hostage. He seemed to suffer from dark moods and depression. He may have had deeper mental disorders. It is known he often did not take his medications.

I summarize that Phil thinks the public would actually believe a woman he just met would have shot herself when this information is available:

she just started a new job
just had expensive dental work
went to his house ( a stranger's)
and shot herself in the mouth (after she had dental work)
for no reason at all
while she was trying to get her acting career off the ground again
who had no signs of depression

Mr. Spector has been known to abuse women, have a gun collection, wave guns around and be controlling so something had to occur that night at his home.

I look forward to finding out the events that took place. I will try to dig further for anything I have that was not lost.

Good Day

Gozgals
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Lana's Website Reply with quote

Victim Lana Clarkson's official website with pictures and biography.

http://www.livingdollproductions.com/
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

http://www.eee.tmz.com/2007/03/16/four-years-later-spector-faces-the-music/

Four Years Later, Spector Faces the Music
Posted Mar 16th 2007 7:49PM by Claude Brodesser-Akner
Filed under: Celebrity Justice, TV, Music, The Biz, City Of Industry

Word just came down today that after wangling delay after delay, Phil Spector will finally go on trial here in Los Angeles.

Jury selection begins next week, and the "Wall of Sound" music producer will need to come out from behind the walls of his compound, where he's been hiding out on $1 million in bail. It's a disgrace that the courts have allowed this to drag on and on and on in the hopes that people will forget what happened.

Spector's legal team is banking on the idea that by now, you -- dear potential jurors -- would have forgotten all about Lana Clarkson, the gorgeous 40-year-old B-movie actress/hostess found dead inside the hall of Spector's Pyrenees Castle estate in February ... 2003.

Here's a reminder: Clarkson was a hostess at the House of Blues back then. Early on the morning of February 3rd, Clarkson initially refused to grant Spector entry to the HOB's VIP section. Shortly thereafter, Clarkson was reprimanded by the club's manager and told to give Spector extra special attention. When Spector suggested the two have a nightcap at his manse after closing, she agreed. It was a decision that would cost her her life.

As the UK paper the Manchester Guardian recounts, "the prosecution alleges that early on the morning of February 3, 2003, Spector's chauffeur Adriano DeSouza was sitting in the producer's black Mercedes outside the Pyrenees Castle when he heard what sounded like a shot. As the driver got out of the car to investigate, Spector apparently emerged from inside wearing a white jacket and carrying a gun. 'I think I killed somebody,' he is alleged to have said. What happened next is known only to Spector, and it is possible that he does not remember. The chauffeur called the police, who found a lifeless Clarkson sprawled on a chair, her head tilted back. The bottom of her mouth had been blown off and a .36 calibre Colt revolver was found under her left leg."

As much of a circus as the OJ trial was, this might well draw even more media: Spector didn't just work with girl-groups like The Ronettes; he also worked with The Beatles. I imagine every UK paper, TV and radio outfit will be covering the Spector trial alongside American journos.

Forget the Wall of Sound; get ready for the Brawl of Newshounds.
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Jury Selection Begins Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259529,00.html?sPage=fnc.national/crime

Jury Selection Begins in Murder Trial of Music Mogul Phil Spector
Monday, March 19, 2007

Phil Spector
LOS ANGELES — Jury selection began Monday in the murder trial of legendary music producer Phil Spector -- four years after an actress who starred in a cult movie was shot to death in the foyer of his castle-like home.

Jurors will be asked to decide if Spector was responsible for the death of Lana Clarkson, who was shot in the face Feb. 3, 2003.

They will consider conflicting evidence about what happened before police found Clarkson, 40, slumped dead in a chair, her teeth blown out by a gunshot to her mouth.

Murder Indictment (People v. Spector)

Clarkson was best known as the star of Roger Corman's cult film "Barbarian Queen." She was working as a hostess at the House of Blues when she went home with Spector that night.

The coroner's office called it a homicide -- "death by the hand of another" -- but also noted that Clarkson had gunshot residue on both of her hands and may have pulled the trigger.

In an e-mail to friends, Spector, 66, called the death "an accidental suicide."

Spector, who created the "wall of sound" that revolutionized the recording of rock music, was present as the first members of a prospective jury pool of 300 people entered the downtown courtroom. He has pleaded not guilty and has been free on $1 million bail since his arrest. If convicted, he could face life in prison.

His New York lawyer, Bruce Cutler, said his defense will be simple: "He didn't shoot this woman." But prosecutors claim Spector placed the gun in her mouth and fired.

After two days of the jury selection process, lawyers will take a one-month break. There is a pretrial hearing April 9 to read the prospective jurors' answers and hone their jury selection strategy. On April 16, jurors are to be questioned individually.

Opening statements are to begin April 30. The judge has ruled that the trial can be televised.

Spector's appearance may rivet TV audiences. His theatrical attire usually includes 3-inch-high boots, frock coats and outlandish wigs. And Cutler is known for flamboyant speeches in court.

Unlike the O.J. Simpson trial, where jurors' familiarity with the celebrity defendant was a huge issue, Spector's musical legacy may be dusty enough to escape notice by most younger prospective jurors.

Legal experts say that while Spector is a legend in the music business, the celebrity factor is likely to be minimal because only older members of the public are aware of his impact on pop music in the 1960s.

"The defense may want music fans who have an appreciation for Phil Spector's mark on music history," said Loyola Law School Professor Laurie Levenson. "But there won't be many of those in the jury pool, not even in Tinseltown."

Spector produced the Beatles' "Let It Be" album and George Harrison's "Concert for Bangladesh," and has been cited as an influence by Bruce Springsteen and countless other artists.

Spector also wrote such rock classics as "Da Doo Ron Ron," "Be My Baby," "You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling" and "River Deep-Mountain High," although his name is rarely mentioned along with the artists who recorded the songs.

Murder Indictment (People v. Spector)

Comments: It is about time Spector goes to trial for this crime.
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Prosecutors seek to limit Spector defense Reply with quote

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-spector7apr07,1,2488149.story?coll=la-headlines-california

Prosecutors seek to limit Spector defense
The music producer's lawyers should not be allowed to call witnesses attacking dead woman's character, court papers say.
By John Spano, Times Staff Writer
April 7, 2007

Phil Spector's lawyers should be barred from calling witnesses to "assassinate" the character of Lana Clarkson, the woman he allegedly shot to death, according to court papers filed Friday.

Prosecutors argued that defense witnesses will allege that Clarkson was suicidal and used narcotics, and will try to paint Clarkson's prescriptions for headaches as medication for depression.

Prosecutors revealed Friday that after her death, investigators found on Clarkson's home computer what appears to be an incomplete memoir, which states she "used drugs when she was younger."

Spector, a 67-year-old music producer, is charged with killing Clarkson, 40, in 2003 at his hilltop home in Alhambra.

He has pleaded not guilty, and his defense has alleged that she committed suicide, and her mental state could be an issue in the trial.

The defense, according to prosecutor Alan Jackson, will try to show that Clarkson was depressed because she took the drugs Elavil, Fiorinal and Paxil for depression. But Jackson said medical records show that the prescriptions were for headaches and ran out as much as a year before she was killed.

"It is irrelevant. It is intended as bad-character evidence, and it threatens undue prejudice, confusion of the issues and could mislead the jury," Jackson argued in papers filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court.

Jackson contends that the memoir probably was written two years before Clarkson died and referred to drug use 14 or more years before her death.

It is not unusual for unexpected information to be revealed shortly before trial, when prosecutors and defense attorneys must share their evidence. Pretrial motions continue in the case next week.

Jackson asked for restrictions on potential testimony by three other witnesses and argued that portions of a film Clarkson made in which she allegedly handled a handgun are not relevant to the trial and should be excluded from evidence.

He did not identify the film but said Clarkson's role was minor and inoffensive compared with other material it contained.

One of the witnesses was identified as "Punkie Pie" Laughlin, a former friend who is prepared to testify for the defense that Clarkson used the painkiller Vicodin "recreationally," said she was suicidal, was depressed over her failing acting career and felt humiliated by her job as a hostess at the House of Blues on Sunset Boulevard. That was where she met Spector hours before she died.

But Jackson said Laughlin gave investigators a different account the day Clarkson died, saying she was never suicidal. The prosecutor said in the court filing that Laughlin plans to write a book and has consulted "a Spector associate on how to handle public relations."

Another former friend, Jennifer Hayes, is prepared to testify for the defense that Clarkson was a selfish, belligerent, heavy-drinking "amazon" who lived a life of "one-night stands."

The third witness, identified as John Barons, a playwright, said Clarkson told him three years ago that she took drugs for pain and told him, "If I don't make it by 40, I will jump off a bridge."

Earlier Friday, prosecutors complained that their attempts to fully interview 12 experts who may be called by the defense had been unsuccessful. Among them was a doctor who has said Clarkson's medications were for the treatment of depression.

Comments: I think Spector's attys. will try to use every dirty trick in the book. Let us hope they will be stopped from doing so. The victims should never be put on trial but they always seem to be in every case. It seems their characters are assassinated instead of the defendants. Spector has too many flaws to even list.

Gozgals
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Spector's violence Reply with quote

Jane, as we have discussed, Spector does have a violent past. I hope they get to bring it up in court and show who he really is.

http://glclk.about.com/?zi=15/3YNv

From Charles Montaldo,

Prosecutors Want to Expose Spector's Past

As the jury selection process continues in Phil Spector's trial for the murder of Lana Clarkson, prosecutors have filed motions to try to get into evidence testimony from four women in Spector's past who say the music producer threatened them and other women. Opening statements in the trial are expected to begin at the end of the month.
According to court paper filed last week, a former girlfriend of Spector's claims he pointed a gun at her head after a party at his house. Clarkson was killed by a gunshot in her mouth.

Devra Robitaille is prepared to testify that in the mid 1970s, when she was an employee of Spector's record company and involved in a romantic relationship with him, he tried to keep her from leaving his mansion by holding a gun to her head.

"She heard something, turned and suddenly Spector was holding a large shotgun, or rifle, using both hands," Prosecutor Alan Jackson wrote in the court document. "He placed the gun against her forehead. Spector, who was drunk, made some sort of joke and then said, `Just so you know, I'll blow your (expletive) head off' or `If you try to leave, I'll blow your (expletive) brains out."'

Jackson has four other women ready to testify that Spector threatened them if the judge allows the testimony to show a pattern of behavior by Spector involving guns "whenever women try to leave him."

Quote:
`Just so you know, I'll blow your (expletive) head off' or `If you try to leave, I'll blow your (expletive) brains out."'

Comment: Spector has some real deep problems and much of the his hostory has repeated itself so I'm sure he shot Lana.

Gozgals
jane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another former friend, Jennifer Hayes, is prepared to testify for the defense that Clarkson was a selfish, belligerent, heavy-drinking "amazon" who lived a life of "one-night stands."
Wow - you'd think they'd know better than to take that tack, wouldn't you? What is the jury supposed to think - that belligerent amazons deserve to be shot by Phil Specter or that they have a tendency to shoot themselves?
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice summary Jane.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Jury selection set to resume in murder trial of Phil Spector Reply with quote

http://www.courttv.com/trials/spector/041607_ap.html

Jury selection set to resume in murder trial of Phil Spector

<snip>
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Lawyers in Phil Spector's murder trial are seeking to uncover hidden biases about celebrity defendants as they question prospective jurors individually.

Jury selection was set to resume Monday, a month after potential jurors filled out questionnaires that included a section on their attitudes toward celebrities. Lawyers are to question them in person about whether they believe stars get a fair shake from the justice system, get away with crimes because of their status or are treated preferentially by police.

The jury will be asked to decide if Spector was responsible for the death of Lana Clarkson. The 40-year-old cult movie actress was found in the foyer of Spector's home on Feb. 3, 2003, slumped dead in a chair, her teeth blown out by a gunshot to her mouth.

Spector has pleaded not guilty and is free on $1 million bail. If convicted, he could face life in prison.

<snip>

[quote]Lawyers are to question them in person about whether they believe stars get a fair shake from the justice system, get away with crimes because of their status or are treated preferentially by police./quote]

In my opinion, judging by the last few cases, stars seem to get special treatment by the courts, and have walked free in murder/criminal cases. Stars, celebrities can always afford to hire the best attys., and the best defense options, etc. The average person would be held to higher standards and hung.

Let us hope Phil gets his due.

Gozgals
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: