www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Condit sues Dominick Dunne again
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Condit sues Dominick Dunne again Reply with quote

Condit is at it again. I can't wait till we get to discovery.

rd

Background threads:

Condit sues Dunne for Slander - Newsday 12/16/02

Things that Paul LaCalsi needs to check for Dunne Defense

In Defense of Dominick Dunne: For His Legal Counsel

condit v. dunne just settled!!!

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

www.justiceforchandra.com home page

from www.nypost.com (fair use)

CONDIT SUING DUNNE AGAIN
By KATI CORNELL

November 15, 2006 -- Former California Rep. Gary Condit has slapped Dominick Dunne with a second slander lawsuit, accusing the Vanity Fair writer of continuing to link him falsely to the 2001 murder of federal intern Chandra Levy.

Condit claims Dunne smeared him in an interview on "Larry King Live" on Nov. 16, 2005, eight months after the adversarial pair had buried the hatchet by settling an $11 million lawsuit for an undisclosed sum.

The latest lawsuit in Manhattan federal court seeks an additional $75,000 in damages from Dunne for allegedly claiming, "Condit knew that Levy was going to be killed" and, "Condit knows more about what happened to Levy than he has ever told."

Copyright 2006 NYP Holdings, Inc.
benn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't over until it is over.

I thought that was strange news that I found yesterday, and posted at Hope From Above, about when Chandra first disappeared that Condit's father, and Dr. Levy, Chandra's father, were both sometimes working at the same hospital at the same time, Dr. Levy as a Dr. and Condit's father as a minister.

Of course this may be old hat to a lot of other readers here. That CNN story has been out a long time. I guess that I never read it before.

It appears possible though that some of the news stories that were first written when Chandra disappeared began to get abbreviated as the investigation continued. Does that make the oldest news about Chandra disappearing the best, and most complete news?

benn
James Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a somewhat more detailed version of the story about Condit's lawsuit. Every time he files another lawsuit, it only reminds people of his evasiveness and dishonesty. Maybe he's hoping to come up with some quick cash to hold on to his Baskin-Robbins.

Condit again accuses author of defamation
By Michael Doyle

McClatchy Newspapers

(MCT)

WASHINGTON - Former California congressman Gary Condit is back in federal court, again charging author Dominick Dunne with defamation.

Condit and Dunne have fought it out before, settling an earlier defamation suit just hours before Condit was set to face explicit questioning about his sex life. Now, Condit claims Dunne resumed slandering him a year ago on national television.

"Dunne knew that the defamatory statements about ... Condit were nothing more than unverified and unsubstantiated rumor and gossip," the lawsuit states.

Condit filed this latest in his series of defamation lawsuits in federal court in Manhattan, the same place he'd battled Dunne previously. He barely slipped it in under the deadline, as the one-year statute of limitations was about to expire.

"I think there is absolutely no merit to this case," Dunne's attorney, Paul LiCalsi, said Wednesday. "I think it is dead on arrival."

Although he'd demanded $11 million from Dunne previously - the final settlement from the initial lawsuit remains private - Condit hasn't specified how much money he's asking for this time. The gist of his argument, though, is familiar.

A raconteur, novelist and cable-television commentator on celebrity crimes, Dunne has opined frequently on the disappearance of one-time Washington intern Chandra Levy. Raised in Modesto, Calif., Levy was last seen in public on April 30, 2001. Her body was discovered in Washington's Rock Creek Park a year later; the police don't have any known suspects in her murder.

Dunne and a cadre of other commentators began weighing in almost from the start, intrigued by the question of the married Condit's relationship with the much younger woman. Condit, who left office in 2003, doesn't deny much-publicized accounts that he eventually told police he was sexually involved with Levy.

On Nov. 16, 2005, Dunne appeared on CNN's "Larry King Live" and spoke about everything from the "Howdy Doody" television show to the murder of his own daughter. Then guest host Bob Costas asked him about Condit, according to a transcript of the show.

Dunne first corrected Costas' summary of what Dunne had previously said. Dunne then repeated his belief that Condit was still holding on to Levy secrets - a statement that Condit claims in his lawsuit to be evidence of defamation.

"I think he knows more about what did happen than he has ever said," Dunne told Costas, repeating the statement a second time.

Costas pressed for more, but Dunne was finished.

"It is something in my life that is over with," Dunne said. "It has been an extraordinarily unpleasant experience for me and I think for Mr. Condit. And we made a settlement and that's all I'm going to say."

In defamation cases, there's a difference between expressing an opinion and asserting a fact. LiCalsi noted that in the initial lawsuit, Dunne won a judge's protection for voicing a belief that was analogous to the statement that's now at the center of the new lawsuit.

"It was a constitutionally protected statement of opinion," LiCalsi said.

Nonetheless, Condit's attorney, Mark E. Goidell, now argues that Dunne's expressed opinion led "millions of members of the public" to wrongly believe that Condit was involved in Levy's disappearance. This caused stress, suffering and "permanent impairment to (Condit's) ability to obtain or maintain gainful employment," Goidell argued.

Condit's most recent known employment was as owner of a Baskin-Robbins franchise in Arizona. The ice cream company has since sued Condit and other family members for failing to make payments and meet other requirements.

Condit also is suing a small Arizona newspaper that he claims libeled him.

The lawsuit was filed in July against the Sonoran News, but it doesn't show signs of being aggressively pursued.

"We still have not received Condit's mandatory disclosure statement," Sonoran News attorney Dan Barr said Wednesday. "It is about one month late, and no reason has been given."

Condit's previous attorney, L. Lin Wood, said Wednesday that he has "no involvement at all" with the latest lawsuit. Goidell, a Long Island-based attorney who'd assisted Wood in the earlier case, couldn't be reached to comment Wednesday.
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: comments Reply with quote

RD, I didn't think he would be able to sue him twice but I guess he can.

I agree too, he seems to be looking for some quick cash, (all the time). Maybe he is trying to hold on to the business as James stated.

I just can't believe this guy. He just gives himself more negative publicity each time he gets himself in the news.

Wonder who is next on their list?

Goz
rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One victim at a time for Condit, goz. I am pleased to see that Lin Wood has disassociated himself from this. I have said all along that he has too much integrity to continue representing Condit once he saw that Condit is unable and unwilling to answer questions about what he is suing over.

James, I agree. He's obviously desperate at this point.

rd
laskipper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really rots my socks!

Condit suing Dunne again, that is.

As for Lin Woods as relates to integrity- my opinion differs. I read his bio a while back. I'll try and find snippets.

His most recent press:

http://www.kevo.com/profile/johnmarkkarr/Biography

News on Mark Karr's case

BOULDER, Colo. — A former schoolteacher was arrested Wednesday in Thailand in the slaying of 6-year-old beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey — a surprise breakthrough in a lurid, decade-old murder mystery that had cast a cloud of suspicion over her parents.

Ramsey family attorney Lin Wood identified the suspect as John Mark Karr, 41. Federal officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed the name, and one law enforcement official told The Associated Press that Boulder police had tracked him down online.

Wood said the arrest vindicated JonBenet's parents, John and Patsy Ramsey. Patsy Ramsey died of ovarian cancer June 24.

"John and Patsy lived their lives knowing they were innocent, trying to raise a son despite the furor around them," Wood said. "The story of this family is a story of courage, and story of an American injustice and tragedy that ultimately people will have to look back on and hopefully learn from."

The attorney said the Ramseys learned about the suspect at least a month before Patsy Ramsey's death. "It's been a very long 10 years, and I'm just sorry Patsy isn't here for me to hug her neck," Wood said.

from fox news
rd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all in the other threads on the first Condit defamation suit, skipper. Lin Wood is not representing Condit in this one, that's the bottom line. :)

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting detail in the UPI report on Condit's second suit against Dunne, that the lawsuit quotes Dunne as saying Condit "knew that Levy was going to be killed."

It will be interesting to see if Condit's lawyer supplies a transcript of the November, 2005 LKL show, with Bob Costas guest hosting, that shows Dominick Dunne saying that.

I think Condit had to make that up to have something to sue over and hope Dunne pays him off. Even if Dunne said that, I think discovery could possibly show the basis for the statement being a reasonably based opinion, but I doubt Dominick said that on the show.

rd

Gary Condit suing Dominick Dunne again

NEW YORK, Nov. 15 (UPI) -- Former Rep. Gary Condit, D-Calif., has sued Vanity Fair correspondent Dominick Dunne for a second time in New York for defamation.

Condit was accused by Dunne of withholding information from authorities about the slaying of Washington intern Chandra Levy in 2002, the New York Daily News reported Wednesday.

Condit's suit filed in U.S. District Court claims Dunne made comments on CNN's "Larry King Live" in November 2005 that inflicted on him "public hatred, contempt and ridicule," the suit said.

Just eight months after publicly apologizing to Condit and paying him an unknown sum of money, Dunne told the show's fill-in host Bob Costas, "I think (Condit) knows more about what did happen than he has ever said."

Condit is seeking more than $75,000 in compensatory damages and unspecified punitive damages.

The new lawsuit also quotes Dunne as saying Condit "knew that Levy was going to be killed."

© Copyright 2006 United Press International, Inc.
jane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condit is seeking more than $75,000 in compensatory damages and unspecified punitive damages.

Sounds like an annual salary - is Condit going to do it once a year? Maybe it beats working for a living.
rd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The punitive damages is where he demands millions of dollars. No, he hopes to make one big score against somebody so he doesn't have to work.

Problem is he's had to answer questions in discovery before he has a chance to win the lottery, and he's always bailed when he has to answer questions about Chandra under oath.

It appears to me this time though that he may be trying a nuisance suit gambit against Dunne, just a payoff to make him go away instead of the lottery.

As in, if you take me to discovery where I have to answer questions, punitive damages will be the lottery that will bankrupt you. Until then, punitive damages are "unspecified".

He's pulled this bluff several times before. Everyone has called him on it. There's always a "settlement" just before he has to answer questions about Chandra's disappearance.

rd
laskipper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently, the new business is not going well?

The Farm and Excavating Co, that is.

Recall, in the early days of the Chandra mystery, that news of the 2 - 15 year old girls that had an "experience" with Condit and the case worker that fled to Alaska? That was National Enquirer, was it not?

That happened in 1986- and the PR came out in 2001. No law suit over that one.

ls
rd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even when he sued the National Enquirer, skipper. One of the many scandalous stories about him he chose not to contest, for some reason.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Comment Reply with quote

Just a quick comment--- I did not know about the young girls. This guy really is a rattlesnake! I'm trying to be kind in my words here.

From laskipper
Quote:
Recall, in the early days of the Chandra mystery, that news of the 2 - 15 year old girls that had an "experience" with Condit and the case worker that fled to Alaska? That was National Enquirer, was it not?

If the article is on the board, and factual, please direct me to it, if not, can you tell me what happened?

Thanks Goz
Hope all had a Happy Thanksgiving
rd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the National Enquirer article, goz, but I read it, and it was the most factual Enquirer article I've ever seen. It was an interview with a social case worker in Alaska, and also someone in California where the girls fled from to Alaska. There were agency documents concerning the girls cases. They were definitely real, and definitely too afraid to talk.

It was never brought up in newspaper coverage of Chandra Levy's disappearance, never validated by a real reporter. But when Condit sued the National Enquirer, he didn't mention it.

There were a series of reports of bizarre behavior about Condit from women that had two things in common: it was about Condit, and they were scared.

The National Enquirer quoted an Alaska social caseworker that in 1986, Condit sexually assaulted two minors, 15 year old girls, who were so terrified with his threats of reprisal they fled to Alaska. His daughter Cadee was 9 then.

In 1989, he hired a 21 year old, PJ Whittingham, he met as a restaurant hostess where he hung out, brought her to Washington and paid her more than his press secretary as a personal scheduler. Over the next three years she rose to be his executive secretary. That takes him to 1992.

In the fall of 1993 Condit spent enough time on campus with freshman girls to meet the 18 year old Jennifer Thomas. Cadee was 17 or 18 then also. Later in the year his aide Dayton set him up with one of Dayton's former girlfriends, Joleen McKay, as if he had told Dayton to go find him a young girl. He brought the 22 year old Joleen to Washington as a Congressional aide for eight months. She stayed with Condit in his DC condo. But Joleen broke down emotionally from Condit's demands of secrecy, jealousy, and lies about her replacing his wife.

In the summer of 2000, he met both Anne Marie Smith as a stewardess on his flights to and from California, and Chandra Levy, either through a USC law enforcement related seminar or through his son or daughter working in the same executive division as Chandra for Gov. Gray in Sacramento. He had both his mistresses stay with him in his DC condo at different times over the next year. Anne Marie was older at 39, but Chandra was 23. So was Cadee.

There are gaps here, but out of dozens of girls identified as past girlfriends these are the ones that he spent considerable time with. The gap between Joleen McKay in 1994 to 1995 and Chandra Levy in 2000 starts in 1996 with legislative work involving Condit that includes Joyce Chiang, who was murdered in Washington in January 1999. Joyce Chiang seemed to have a mysterious secret life during this gap for Condit between his known mistresses.

Condit operated to some degree in cycles where he was trolling for a number of young women and ending up leading on more than one of these young girls at a time into being a mistress. They report control and jealousy so severe as to be emotionally devastating.

Not every mistress is dead, but some are, some are in hiding, the others are so terrified they have gone to the press out of fear of disappearing.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for catching me up on the creep RD. I knew most of the information on his "Lovers" but not on the young gals or the social worker. ( I may not have remembered) Very informative indeed. Always knew I had no respect for this man and will never have any now.

Thanks for writing a great book.

Goz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: