www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noted coder Hans Reiser arrested for wife's disappearance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from slashdot.com

anonymous poster wrote:
Dropping the kids off doesn't mean she had to enter the house, yet she did.

To have a "discussion"/argument, which didn't go quite as well as this dialogue.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from slashdot.com

Teancum wrote:
Hardly difficult to find, nor all that unusual when the reason for parking it a block away may have other explainations. This factoid is taken completely out of context here.

If Hans had really cared to "dispose" of the car, he would have driven it to his father's house in Atlanta, Georgia. Or to a dozen other locations much further from his house. Driving it into San Francisco Bay or the Pacific Ocean would have been a very good (and relatively easy to do) task if that really was a goal. Not within a mile of his house parked on a street that could be found by a casual search in less than five minute with a police car.

Neighbors noted it was gone, police noted they found it with surveillance of him, and he had it parked a walking distance away with crime books on evidence in it, still saturated with water, and the front seat removed.

To get rid of it would raise more questions than a missing front seat, and he didn't have much money to start with, which is the reason Nina disappeared, to be able to do some of the things you suggest in just getting rid of it which would require replacing it. He started using his mother's car in the meantime.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been following this case closely and hadn't heard of Reiser before this, but I'm surprised to hear he doesn't have much money, being that he's a programming genius.
rd

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

open source programs such as Linux are free. Good for the user, but the programmers can only make money supporting it, from sponsors, etc.

He made a limited amount of money that way but also had to pay his Russian programmer employees of his company, Namesys. They are good programmers anyway, but he would not have been able to afford American or Western European employees.

He made a file system for Linux. He would not have been able to sell it had he wanted to as commercial operating systems have their own file system and wouldn't have been interested.

He could have gone to work for one of them but then he couldn't have spent full time on advanced research into his own file system. At some point there might have been the potential for a good payoff to implement advanced technology for major companies. That's the kind of thing he was probably going for.

Typical struggling inventor stuff, which changes when the wife is no longer helping to support you and you have to pay child support. He was under a lot of financial pressure, including his loan disputes with his former business manager turned romantic rival turned prior life serial murderer.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from slashdot

anonymous poster wrote:
Wow, I am banned from a forum I haven't previously visited. Sweet.

I banned non-ARIN IP address ranges because the content of my site on missing US women had not been of interest outside North America up until now. The only visits I got from outside North America were bot scripts and scoundrels.

Given the world wide programming community interest in Reiser's case, and especially with the Russian roots of Nina, I will drop the worldwide IP range bans for awhile. Thanks for reminding me about that.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defense lawyer DuBois has asked for three week delay in start of trial because he's tied up in a murder trial. Reiser reluctantly said "I guess so" when judge asked him if he waived his rights to a speedy trial for another three weeks.

No mention of bombshell, but both lawyers said they expect lots of motions, so trial really won't start for quite some time.

Court TV must be licking their chops over this one.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rd, this should be one INTERESTING Court Case. I can't wait till it happens.

I'm licking my chops waiting. I wish Nina would turn up soon.

This case has so many twists and turns now. It's just outrageous. I can't believe it was not mentioned in court yet.

Gozgals
rd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Reiser's trial begins today... again. Unless it gets postponed again.

Nina has still not been found, so defense is that there is no proof a murder took place.

That is the whole point of making a woman disappear, isn't it?

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there seems to be enough evidence to convict Hans and I hope that the trial is not postponed again. Cal Harris was convicted on less evidence. I'm looking forwad to seeing Hans go to court. It is a shame they didn't find Nina yet.

(see below)

Sobs and cries of “no!” from Calvin Harris filled the courtroom Thursday morning as the jury foreman told the judge that a jury of 12 had found Harris guilty of second degree murder

Police have never found Michele's body nor a murder weapon, but despite that Calvin Harris was indicted for her murder by a grand jury twice.

Source:
http://www.eveningtimes.com/news/news1.txt

Goz
rd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it will be weeks to select a jury.

rd

from insidebayarea.com (fair use)
http://www.insidebayarea.com/dailyreview/localnews/ci_6120788

Still no body, but Reiser trial now has courtroom
Judge Goodman will preside over murder case
By Paul T. Rosynsky and Kristin Bender, STAFF WRITERS
June 12, 2007

(snip)

Opening statements in the trial are not scheduled to begin for several weeks, but on Monday Alameda County Superior Court veteran Judge Larry Goodman was assigned the case which will be tried inside the Rene C. Davidson courthouse...

Also on Monday morning, defense attorney William Du Bois met with prosecutor Paul Hora in judges' chambers to discuss various motions and to work out a schedule for how the trial will proceed, including jury selection.

"It's going to take awhile to put this jury together," Du Bois said.

Once the trial gets under way, it could last several months.

click to read rest
http://www.insidebayarea.com/dailyreview/localnews/ci_6120788

© 2000-2006 ANG Newspapers
rd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBS5.com in San Francisco is reporting that Reiser's trial is delayed until fall. They are going to do a big jury selection usually used on death penalty cases because of all the publicity, and after meeting with lawyers and Hans about it, agreed it won't start until September.

With luck we'll find Nina by then.

rd

click to read story
http://cbs5.com/local/local_story_163171126.html
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Posted is a recent link on Nina and a possible date for the jury selection.
Maybe there won't be another delay but I doubt it. I pray we can locate Nina soon or we are once again dealing with "No body no crime" which we know how hard it is to prove in court even with all the evidence presenting against Hans.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/08/20/state/n085613D29.DTL

(08-20) 08:56 PDT Moraga, Calif. (AP) --

Authorities continued to search for an Oakland woman who disappeared nearly a year ago as her husband awaits trial for her murder.

Search and rescue teams combed the Oakland hills and parts of Contra Costa County Sunday for any clues in the disappearance of Nina Reiser, who disappeared last September after dropping off her children at the house of Hans Reiser, her estranged husband. Authorities called the search routine and said it was not based on any new tips in the case.

The Reisers were in a custody dispute over their two young children, a son and a daughter, when Nina Reiser disappeared. Her minivan was found abandoned on Sept. 3 with groceries and purse still inside.

Although prosecutors have not found Nina Reiser's body, they say physical evidence implicates Hans Reiser, a prominent software engineer, in his wife's death. Defense attorneys say Hans Reiser does not know his wife's whereabouts and has suggested she's alive in Russia, her native country.

Jury selection in the case is expected to begin Aug. 28.
rd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With these silent ex's so successful at hiding women's bodies, juries must now be given circumstantial cases with the missing woman's body yet to be found to try the silent ex for murder.

Otherwise we might as well just declare women expendable if they become inconvenient to some silent ex.

rd

from www.sfgate.com (fair use)
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/20/BA7FS9CVI.DTL

Prospective jurors screened on missing body issue in Oakland case
Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer
San Francisco Chronicle
September 20, 2007

Attorneys asked prospective Alameda County jurors in the murder trial of computer programmer Hans Reiser on Wednesday whether they were comfortable hearing a circumstantial-evidence case in which the body of Reiser's alleged victim - his wife - has never been found.

Deputy District Attorney Paul Hora and defense attorney William Du Bois took turns questioning prospective jurors on whether they could be objective about the case, given that Nina Reiser has not been seen since disappearing last September.

Hans Reiser, 43, who is well known in computer-programming circles as the creator of the ReiserFS file system, has pleaded not guilty to killing his estranged wife, who was 31 when she vanished.

"This case is a little bit different than other cases," Hora told prospective jurors in the Oakland courtroom of Superior Court Judge Larry Goodman. Usually, there's a body, an autopsy and a cause of death, but not so in this case, Hora noted.

Du Bois told prospective jurors that he would argue for acquittal because "there is no direct evidence of a homicide, let alone that there even was a homicide."

One man made it clear Wednesday that he didn't want to be on the panel.

"I'm uncomfortable about this," the man told Hora. Pressed by the prosecutor for an explanation, the man said, "Just this whole show, that's all. You're not going to like what I have to say."

The judge excused the man after he concluded by saying, "I just don't think I'd be fair."

Nina Reiser was last seen Sept. 3, 2006, at the home her estranged husband shared with his mother on Exeter Drive in the Oakland hills. Prosecutors theorize that he killed her there that day and hid the body.

The couple's two children were in the house when Nina Reiser was there, but Reiser's mother was not, authorities said.

Nina Reiser's 2001 Honda Odyssey was found six days after she disappeared about 3 miles from the home, groceries askew in the back seat, police said. Investigators have said they found small amounts of Nina Reiser's blood in the Exeter Drive home as well as in Hans Reiser's Honda Civic CRX.

Friends of Nina Reiser held a vigil for her Tuesday at Montclair Park in Oakland.

Prosecutors say the couple's children are now with their grandmother in Russia, where Nina Reiser was born. Du Bois has suggested that she could be alive and with her children.

The jury-selection process continues this month and next, and opening statements in the trial are scheduled for Oct. 29.

E-mail Henry K. Lee at hlee@sfchronicle.com.

click to read story:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/20/BA7FS9CVI.DTL

© 2007 Hearst Communications Inc.
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circumstantial cases have to be considered and taken to court due to the amount of them we are seeing now. There just appears to be too many missing women and evidence that leads to the silent-ex.

Thanks for the updated article

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: The Mystery of Missing Nina- from 20/20 Reply with quote

From 20/20 Nov 07

*click botton link for rest of pages*

The Mystery of Missing Nina
Doctor and Mother Vanishes Without a Trace; Husband Awaits Trial for Murder

By JIM AVILA and MARK STANOCH
Nov. 2, 2007
Share In September 2006, Nina Reiser, a 31-year-old doctor and mother of two, disappeared.

Nina and her husband, Hans Reiser, were in the midst of a nasty divorce, and even without a body, it didn't take long for police to arrest Reiser and charge him with his wife's murder. Recently Reiser sat down with "20/20" in an exclusive pretrial jailhouse interview.

Video
What Happened to Dr. Nina Reiser?Asked if he thinks that Nina is alive today, Reiser said, "I think I'm a person who doesn't know."

Reiser was a child prodigy who dropped out of junior high school and enrolled at the University of California Berkeley at age 15. After college, he made his mark in the business world, starting a technology company and developing a new computer file system some consider revolutionary.

'This Is Someone Special'
So how did a self-described "computer nerd" capture the heart of a beautiful obstetrician born in Russia? Reiser went to Russia looking for cheap labor for his computer business, and a bride. A dating service arranged a meeting at a café in St. Petersburg, but Reiser didn't fall for his date -- he liked the woman who came along to translate.

"She has the most beautiful voice," Reiser said. "When I first heard it I thought, 'This is someone special.'"

Just over a year later, Reiser married his Russian bride, who was by then five months pregnant. A bizarre wedding video shows a nontraditional wedding -- Reiser's best friend Sean Sturgeon, dressed in drag, was the maid of honor.

"I think that what interested [Nina] in Hans was that he was different from everyone else," said her friend Ellen Doren.

Video
Husband of Missing Woman Speaks Out"Nina is entirely unique," Reiser said. "Try to imagine a well-educated Marilyn Monroe, who's a doctor."

The birth of their son Rory, now 8, and daughter Niroline, now 6, were happy times for the couple. "Nina was one of the best parents I've seen in my life," Doren said.

Reiser, who lost custody of his children in the divorce proceedings before his wife's disappearance, said, "I miss them so much. It's been so long."

But fights about how those children were being raised were at the center of a marriage that began to crumble. Doren said she was witness to the emotional disputes.

"They just could not agree on how to raise the kids," she said. "And there were very many, many fights and conflicts."

The Mystery of Missing Nina
1234Next

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3807336&page=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: