www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noted coder Hans Reiser arrested for wife's disappearance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hide a seat of a hatch back, and a body, well this could not be that
hard to find, either they were incinerated, or buried, either in Water
(ocean) or a lake/water way, which they are not a dime a dozen
in California....

p.s. RD perhaps Hans got his Mother to look after the children
when he left, we won't be hearing that from her I'm sure....

It is seldom that a person is arrested for murder without the
presence of a body, this says to me that the circumstantial evidence
must be pretty well conclusive....

I'm not sure, but I believe that it can be estimated, how old
blood is, and thus he was unable to say, that the blood got
on the door of his room, carpet, and in car, and the front seat
was missing.....so presumably most of the blood stain was
on the front seat....?

Law enforcement likely has other information that they
are keeping close to the vest, per se...
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His mother was in Las Vegas on a trip for the weekend.

kate, the circumstantial evidence is pretty straightforward; her blood on the main floor where he and her were having words, and her blood on the passenger seat floor of his car, with the passenger seat missing. Also a sleeping bag and a roll of duct tape has been recovered that's part of the evidence.

Not a whole lot of mystery here, just which bridge he dumped her off of tied to the car seat. He was stopped in Redwood City by police a few days later, which is quite a distance across the Bay from north Oakland hills.

I'm pretty sure he took a page from Scott Peterson's handbook and tried to improve on it, vis a vis the car seat to weight her down.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Oakland Murder Case Raises Questions
(AP) OAKLAND, Calif. It began like many other missing persons cases -- posters of an attractive, smiling, young woman, rewards offered, friends and family pleading for her return.

Then it turned sinister. Suspicion quickly fell on the estranged husband, who was questioned, jailed and charged with murder. Sordid allegations of infidelity and ties to international organized crime followed.

The body of 31-year-old Nina Reiser was never recovered, and her husband's lawyer has suggested she's alive and living in her native Russia.

Hans Reiser, a 43-year-old Oakland software developer, is still being held without bail while a judge decides whether there's enough evidence to try him. A decision is expected next month, but without a body it will be a tough job for prosecutors.

"You can prove the case, but it's a terrific challenge," said E. Michael McCann, the former Milwaukee district attorney who prosecuted the Jeffrey Dahmer case. He said he remembers about a half-dozen "no-body" homicides during his 38-year career. "A prosecutor's hope is that something will turn up."

Bloodstains were found in Hans Reiser's home and car. The passenger seat had been removed when police seized the Honda CRX, and the floorboard was saturated with water.

Also found in the car were a roll of trash bags, masking tape, absorbent towels and two books: "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets," by David Simon, about the Baltimore police homicide squad, and "Masterpieces of Murder," by Jonathan Goodman, about notorious murder cases. Police say the software developer bought the books five days after his wife's Sept. 3, 2006 disappearance. His lawyer said the books contain chapters on how police plant evidence and set up murder scenes.

The Reisers had been married about five years when she filed for divorce in 2004. A bitter custody battle ensued; she was granted a temporary restraining order against him later that year. But neither the no-contact order nor the divorce was ever finalized. She also took her husband back to court last year for allegedly not keeping up with child support.

After they separated, Nina Reiser dated a sadomasochist, according to testimony. And defense lawyer William Du Bois suggested she and her family had ties to a Russian spy agency and organized crime.

Then, there's the son. Seven-year-old Rory Reiser testified on Dec. 11, the first day of a preliminary hearing, that he didn't hear his mom and dad arguing the day she disappeared, contradicting his earlier statements to police.

Judge Julie Conger said she wanted to ask the boy more questions and ordered him to return to court on Jan. 16, after he and his 5-year-old sister spent the holidays in Russia with their maternal grandmother.

But the boy never returned to court, and Conger said he was still in St. Petersburg, where his grandmother has begun custody proceedings.

Du Bois said Nina Reiser inexplicably obtained Russian citizenship for her son two months before she disappeared. She did the same for her daughter two years ago.

"I think the clear implication is that she might have had something to do with this," Du Bois said outside court last week. "Maybe she was planning to take the kids to Russia and leave her husband here in jail."

Prosecutor Greg Dolge said he has "absolutely no information" that Nina Reiser is in Russia, and that investigators recovered both her U.S. and Russian passports.

McCann, the former prosecutor, said without a body and without a confession, Dolge faces a "vigorous challenge."

"It opens the door," he said. "It gives an argument you don't have in most murder cases -- is the person dead?"

Dolge said he has enough to prove the case with or without a body.

"I honestly wish that she were alive," Dolge said. "If I had any indication of that, this whole thing would stop. She's not alive. Hans killed her."

Reiser is due back in court on Feb. 23.

http://cbs13.com/local/local_story_020171318.html

Comment:

I still think they have quite enough evidence to convict! I look forward to finding out what happens on Feb. 23 when Hans goes to court. I can't believe the defense atty. is claiming "Nina may have gone to Russia!" We all know unfortunately where Nina may be.

Gozgals
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Geraldo at Large Broadcast Reply with quote

Last night Hans case was discussed on Geraldo at Large. In summary, the evidence was presented that we have noted on this board about the blood found in the car, the 2 crime books found, and the missing car seat.
It was stated Hans son was so upset at the first court proceeding that he was unable to testify again. Also noted was that it was hard to prove a case against Hans without a body and that Nina may have fled to Russia to frame her ex Hans.

I think the coverage would have continued on this case (and I was looking forward to hearing more) but as Geraldo was interviewing a reporter, the subject of course switched to Anna Nicole immediately while focusing on Hans, and how children suffer during these types of situations.

Gozgals
rd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The judge ruled that there's enough evidence to try Hans for Nina Reiser's murder. Arraignment is scheduled for March 23 in Oakland.

Basically it comes down to she disappeared, leaving her blood in his house and car, while he claims she took her children and is back in the USSR.

I still say as long as a trail of blood is not left when a woman disappears, cases will stay as cold as Chandra's, even when her body is found later.

That just makes it too easy to get away with murder, so they keep trying. And women with silent ex's keep disappearing.

rd

from www.msnbc.com

Wife vanishes, husband to be tried for murder
Lawyer for software engineer says her family might be tied to Russian mob
Associated Press
March 9, 2007

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17540679/
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD, thanks for the update on Hans case.

I'm sure Nina did not take off and leave for Russia. Han's left a trail of blood and we must consider the missing car seat. We all can assume where he dumped the body and are probably correct.

Happy to know that he will be going to court on the 23rd.

Sometimes these men just won't get away with murder even if there is not a body that can't be located. Let us hope Hans won't.

RD
Quote:
I still say as long as a trail of blood is not left when a woman disappears, cases will stay as cold as Chandra's, even when her body is found later.

Sad, but so true. Maybe one day we will find the answers and Chandra's cold case will be solved. As James noted on the other thread, there is hope as he discussed the one case that was solved many years later.

Gozgals
rd

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty intense. I tried to check if it was a hoax or not, but it appears legitimate. However, it is only being reported on wired.com so far.

If even remotely true, there is no way Hans will be convicted. The trial begins Monday.

rd

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2007/05/reiser# (fair use)

Reiser Prosecution Jolt: Victim's Ex-Lover Confesses to Eight Killings
By Joshua Davis
Wired News

A former lover of the missing wife of Linux programmer and accused spouse killer Hans Reiser has confessed to killing eight people unrelated to the case, prosecutors informed the defense last week.

Sean Sturgeon, a one-time friend of Reiser's, had already been a focus of the defense team's efforts to shift suspicion off Reiser in the disappearance of his estranged wife, Nina Reiser. Sturgeon's alleged confession to a series of unrelated murders will likely complicate the trial, which is set to begin Monday.

"(Deputy District Attorney) Paul Hora indicated that the court was ordering him to divulge this information," defense attorney Richard Tamor said last Friday. "He also said that Sturgeon had confessed to a potential ninth murder, but that Sturgeon wasn't sure if the victim was fully dead when he left him."

"Sturgeon claims that the murders were in retaliation for his abuse as a child," said Ramon Reiser, Hans Reiser's father, who was briefed by the defense team over the weekend and spoke to Wired News on Sunday.

On Monday, Superior Court Judge Don Clay issued a gag order barring attorneys on both sides from discussing Sturgeon.

(snip)

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2007/05/reiser#

end quote
rd

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from a post at slashdot.com

Makes it a little fishy although I am sure I have small drops of blood around my house and in my cars too from small cuts and stuff happening while doing stuff outside. I would hope they need more than that to tie the "murder" to him.

They were not small drops of blood on the wall in the room of the house where they were heard arguing by the kids down in the den. They were not small drops of blood on the floor of the car, and of course the car seat is missing along with her. He at least tried to clean the blood off the floor of the car.

I think she just took off somewhere myself, I mean she was cheating on him so I don't think it is too far out of the ballpark.

They were separated and in divorce proceedings. Seeing someone else at that time is not "cheating".

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishbowl wrote:
It's weird that we know about the seat, the tools, the blood, but we don't know Hans' explanation.

It would need to be a recent explanation too. He was stopped by Redwood City police a week earlier (but after Nina disappeared) and the car seat was there at that time.

To the list of sightseeing, killing time, looking for redlight specials, and other reasons for driving around in Redwood City at the time, we can add looking for Nina or looking for a place to strap her body to the car seat and drop it off a bridge.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CatNTHat wrote:
Just saying that there were small drops of blood isn't really enough.

The floor of the car had been saturated with it and had been cleaned. Also the wall of a room in the house where they were arguing.

There really hasn't been enough information released to the public for us to form an accurate picture of any series of events.

There's been plenty of information reported. It is summarized in a thread with unadulterated opinion on my site at:

Noted coder Hans Reiser arrested for wife's disappearance
http://www.justiceforchandra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2899

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was last seen at Hans Reiser's house (which was a large amount of the case against him) and if she is willing to enter his house, why not his car?

Because there was no front seat?

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: NO! Reply with quote

This is shocking!! Is it true or did it turn out to be a hoax? I am stunned, is all I can say. I'm sure Hans did the deed, and for the other posts you put in, there is enough clean up evidence, and the car seat missing to prove Hans is the killer. Also, Nina did not run away, I can say that for sure, just my senses tell me this.

What do you got so far on this story Rd? Waiting on pins and needles. Tell me it isn't so?

Goz

Quote:
This is pretty intense. I tried to check if it was a hoax or not, but it appears legitimate. However, it is only being reported on wired.com so far.

If even remotely true, there is no way Hans will be convicted. The trial begins Monday.
rd

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it's so, goz. This is the only source of the story as the information is said to be under a court gag order. It came from Han's father talking to to the Wired News reporter who called Sturgeon. Sturgeon didn't deny it.

There's no doubt that Hans Reiser did it but between not finding Nina's body and if this ever comes out at trial it will be a get away with murder free card for Hans.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CatNTHat wrote:
That still doesn't prove to me that he is guilty, reasonable doubt exists, even more so with the new information regarding her ex-lover.

It used to be in the U.S. that you were innocent until proven guilty, ah, I miss the good old days.

I posted on my site "There's no doubt that Hans Reiser did it but between not finding Nina's body and if this ever comes out at trial it will be a get away with murder free card for Hans."

I'm assuming this comes out at trial, and that the gag order was to prevent pre-trial publicity, but Han's father apparently wants some anyway to help his son.

If this is really true this trial is going to light up the crime discussion boards. Remember also that this guy was Hans' financial agent prior to the divorce proceedings, not some random stranger his ex happened to meet, and they have nasty legal suits going on between them with the then wife playing a major role in it. This is really bizarre.

Still, no doubt Reiser will be working on his filesystem again real soon now. The trial starts Monday, and this will be a bombshell.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from slashdot.com

MichaelSmith wrote:
If she was killed then it is strange that the body was efficiently disposed of, but that the car was left to be found by the police.

It wasn't found easily. It was parked about a quarter mile away from his house on a side street. He was still using it.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: