www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr. Barton Corbin admits guilt in 2 murders
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Dr. Barton Corbin admits guilt in 2 murders Reply with quote

On eve of trial, dentist admits guilt in murders of wife, girlfriend

Dr. Barton Corbin acknowledged staging the murders, 14 years apart, of his wife and college girlfriend to look like suicides.

By Harriet Ryan
Court TV
Ending a case that riveted Georgians for two years, a suburban Atlanta dentist pleaded guilty Friday to the murders, 14 years apart, of his wife and his dental-school sweetheart.

Barton Corbin, 42, struck a deal with prosecutors four days into jury selection in Lawrenceville, Ga., for what was to be the first of two murder trials. By pleading guilty to two counts of malice murder, Corbin acknowledged shooting Dorothy "Dolly" Hearn in 1990 and his wife, Jennifer, in 2004 and staging the crime scenes as suicides.

In exchange for his guilty pleas, Corbin was sentenced to two life terms to run concurrently. He will be eligible for parole. If convicted at both trials, he could have faced the death penalty.

The plea provided a conclusive answer to the question of whether Corbin was a serial killer of women who try to dump him or a serial dater of women who take their own lives.

Before the plea, he had insisted that he was an innocent victim of a statistical anomaly and was being judged "guilty by coincidence."

Story continues

Jennifer Corbin was found dead in the couple's home Dec. 4, 2004, shortly after her husband learned she was having an Internet affair and filed for divorce. The 33-year-old preschool teacher was sprawled across the couple's bed, a single gunshot to her head and a revolver by her side.

The death had the appearance of a suicide, but there was no note and her parents and sisters insisted she was not depressed. Tests of Jennifer Corbin's hands were negative for gunshot residue.

Bart Corbin, who claimed to have been sleeping in his brother's garage at the time of the murder, refused to submit to police questioning. Detectives in Gwinnett County soon learned of Hearn's mysterious death years earlier in Augusta.

The 27-year-old dental student died shortly after she broke off her relationship with Corbin, a classmate at the Medical College of Georgia. She was found slumped over a gun on a couch in her apartment. Her parents insisted she was psychologically healthy and would not have taken her own life, but pathologists said they could not rule out suicide as the cause of death.

Although the trial about to get under way in Lawrenceville concerned only Jennifer Corbin's shooting, jurors also were to hear evidence of Hearn's death. In a decision hotly contested by the defense, Gwinnett Superior Court Judge Michael Clark ruled last spring that the circumstances of the two shootings were alike enough as to constitute a "similar transaction" and were, therefore, admissible as evidence.

Corbin was likely to encounter a similar situation in Augusta, where he was to stand trial after the conclusion of the Gwinnett County case.

In court, prosecutors in both jurisdictions hinted at strong evidence tying Corbin to both crimes. New forensic tests found blood spatter at the scenes inconsistent with suicide. Neighbors of the women also placed Corbin at their homes about the time of the shooting.

Hearn told friends she suspected Corbin had vandalized her car, stolen her cat and burglarized her apartment. Jennifer Corbin told relatives her husband punched her in front of their two boys after he found racy e-mails she had exchanged with a woman in Missouri.

"You don't break up with Barton Corbin. If you do break up with Barton Corbin, you pay with your life," Augusta district attorney Danny Craig said last fall.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/corbin/091506_ctv.html

Comments: I'm shocked Dr. Corbin admitted guilt in the 2 murders but I guess it was to spare him the death penalty. I'm so happy justice has been served. What a creep he is. Wish they would have got him on the third woman he may have also killed. Who knows how many more there may have been.
Every women seemed to be an inconvenience to Dr. Corbin sooner or later!

Goz
Rainbow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Double Jeopardy Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this article and commentary. I had read something about this case yesterday and found it fascinating. Do psychologists find that this was a case of "morbid jealousy"?
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Comments Reply with quote

Rainbow
[quote]Do psychologists find that this was a case of "morbid jealousy"?/quote]

Hi RB: I don't know the psychologists take on the Dentist, but I feel he is a sociopath. I have followed his case for years and he just seems to get rid of women that get on his bad side or become quite frankly, inconvenient in his life. He was always suspect in the death of another women, I don't know where that case is going.

I remember seeing his wife's family on television and it about broke my heart. I mean- a man who kills his wife and sets it up as a suicide yet does this in front of a child is a pure monster. This finally brought out the case against him for murder years ago in Dental School.

Even though he copped a deal, I don't think he will ever get parole. GA is too harsh of a State to ever let him out. I feel the Dentist must have left a larger crime spree that has been undiscovered as of yet. I found it shocking as stated previously that he confessed but I guess the time came that he knew the evidence was going to nail his coffin shut.

Goz
Rainbow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: "Larger Crime Spree" Reply with quote

Yes, Goz. . . the doc is definitely a "sociopath"! What makes you think there is a larger crime spree? Was he a "serial dater"?
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Added Comment Reply with quote

Rainbow:

I don't know if he was a serial dater but he has 2 strikes against him. He killed his wife, his x-girlfriend in Dental School, and they are looking at him for another woman that was murdered. Figure he must have had other women, and girlfriends when he was a young man. I'm sure they went over his past with a fine -tooth drill to make sure everyone is alive. I think 2-(3)? makes him pretty high up there for having more women he didn't want around.

But, I heard from interviews he dated his share of women. At least we can say he's out of circulation now and hope he doesn't work in the prison Dental Department. I'd say that is too close to anyone. Let him get a hard labor job inside.

Rainbow:
I forget to add, at least the families will be spared going to court now that the creep took a plea. Thank God for that. I hate when they drag the victim's names through the mud.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: from Ann Rule Website Reply with quote

This is posted on Ann's website:

Quote:
I've started writing my next hardcover book: Too Late To Say Goodbye. Its subjects are two beautiful, brilliant young women who died mysterious deaths in Georgia, albeit fourteen years apart. Their lives were closely entangled with that of a handsome, successful dental student--later a wealthy oral surgeon. At this point, I can't say very much about this book, because the story has yet to play out to its finish. It will be published in late 2006.

http://www.annrules.com/news.htm

I hope Ann will still publish her book on the dentist now that he took a plea. I know she was suppose to attend the court proceedings.

I look forward to reading the book.

Goz
peripeteia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg
Do you know the name of the other woman he allegedly may've murdered? Very weird guy, and to think he had lots of money, hansome and promise...

Well Bubba in Sing Sing will need a nice hansome dentist, he'll like the fact that Corbin is coming there for life...
peripeteia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg:

Found the name of the woman who was found in her car in a lake in Alabama, her name is Harriet Gray, 56, Gray worked for Corbins' partner, but allegedly not at the same time, although it is not a leap to say that they knew one another.

I get the feeling that she might have known of Corbins' first wife, and that he simply silenced her, he may've been dating her, who knows, but it seems that Corbin may've had something to do with her murder, not lucky are the women who knew Corbin.
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Old Link Reply with quote

I was just gonna post. Found an old article to post. Thanks for the update.

Updated Saturday, January 8 at 9:18 AM

Police investigate possible link between Buford man and a third death

ATLANTA - Authorities are looking into the 1996 disappearance and death of a Tucker woman to see if there is a connection to Barton Corbin, a Dacula dentist accused of killing his wife and a former girlfriend.

Harriet Gray, 56, disappeared from her home in September 1996 in what appeared to be an abduction. Her body was found in her car at the bottom of Lake Tuscaloosa in Alabama in December 1997.

Her case has been treated as a homicide, said Lt. J.R. Simpson of the Tuscaloosa, Ala., Police Department. No arrest had ever been made in the case.

Gray worked for a dentist who is a former partner of Corbin's, and relatives said she and Corbin were acquainted.

Corbin, 41, a Dacula dentist who has practiced in Gainesville, has been indicted on charges related to two apparent homicides the 1990 death of Dorothy ``Dolly'' Hearn in Augusta and the Dec. 4 death of his wife, Jennifer Corbin, in Buford. He has denied he was involved in both deaths.

Sgt. Scott Peebles, lead investigator with the Richmond County Sheriff's Department in the Hearn case, said Alabama authorities have contacted the district attorney's office in Augusta about the Gray case.

Peebles said he understood Gray may have worked for Corbin.

``At some point we're going to have to investigate if (Corbin) was responsible for her, too. We're going to look at any similarities,'' Peebles said. ``This is something we're going to look at and discuss with Alabama authorities.''

http://accessnorthga.com/news/hall/newfullstory.asp?ID=87988

Comments: This is all I found on the search to date.
peripeteia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a trip through cyber crime world, and there is plenty written on this guy, none of it seems favourable. It appears that Harriett and Corbin knew one another, although they worked in the same office at different times. I like police do not believe in coincidences, this is a pretty large coincidence that Harriett knew Corbin, and other women who were involved with him seem to turn up dead.

One comment from a classmate of Dolly's, stated that once when Dolly was upset, she asked why, Dolly replied, because I'm going out with a psycho.

Corbin does not appear to be a nice guy, even besides the fact that he has murdered two women, he seems to have somekind of personality disorder and all in all he does not sound endearing.

Unfortunately the two women who were murdered knew this, and were trying to get Corbin out of their life, and this was their undoing.

It is stated on one forum, that Corbin likely admitted his guilt to spare his children/family the ordeal of a trial. However, I don't buy this, as he was in a bar drinking the night Jennifer was shot, he left the bar for a half an hour, ran home shot his wife, to be found by his 7 year old son. He'd shot her though the head, he'd had known that his children were likely to find her, so this is no guy who'd confess to spare his children...I hardly think so, as what would be the embarassement of a trial to deal with, when you've found your Mother on the bed with her brains blown out...then he goes back to the bar drinking with his friends.

This guy doesn't give a rats ass about anyone....I'll hazzard to guess that he will take the rap for these two murders hoping to get out when his parole date of 18 years is up....he came clean so he can hopefully get out of jail one day, and the other guess is that he would not get investigated for the death of Harriett, that the police would be satisfied with the two murders and to just have him put away.

Another thing, perhaps there are other women whom he has hurt, any other unsolved crimes in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Louisianna.....my guess he has hurt others....that we know nothing about...
jane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Dacula dentist (or is it Dracula...?)
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: It should be Dr. Dracula! Reply with quote

Jane

Quote:
A Dacula dentist (or is it Dracula...?)

Well, we should be calling him "Dracula" but he had a practice in
Dacula, GA.

I have seen him called "Dr. Death" Jane.

Dracula is a great name for him though! When I read that on my searches and in my articles I thought the same thing.

Goz
jane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Kevorkian (the euthanasia guy) was also called Dr. Death - but compared to Corbin, Kevorkian truly was an angel of mercy.
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate:

I would imagine the Dentist was not out to spare anyone with his plea, except of course himself. He know they were about to sink his ship. With his plea he can except some type of parole at some time in his life, or maybe he feels he will be let out early for good behavior. He does not seem the type to care of anyone's feelings but his own.

Quote:
One comment from a classmate of Dolly's, stated that once when Dolly was upset, she asked why, Dolly replied, because I'm going out with a psycho.

This guy is a time bomb and I agree he must have left a trail of women behind we still don't know about. I have stated that a few times. He just has no conscious about anything and appears to hate women. A pure psycho in my opinion. Anyone who gets too close as you stated my find themselves in a circumstance of danger. Dr. C lives in a "ME ME" world and nobody was able to upset his way of life.

I'm hoping Ann Rules book uncovers more on the Dr. and we get a glimpse of what really made him tick.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane:

I agree wholeheartedly Jane with his methods even if some find them controversial. Dr. K. was not "Dr. Death" to many. Some did find him appalling.

Goz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: