www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chandra Levy: Five years later
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Background Information on Chandra Levy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallout wrote: Anyway, I'm still wondering, where is Thomas's second daughter, the identical twin? Is she missing? Or did she ever exist? Very, Very Confusing.

It really is. The source of the twin is the neighbor, Betty Huffman. Both Niles Lathem of the NY Post and Jeff Jardine of the local Modesto Bee quoted her.

They may have been trying to help cover up for the Thomas' after OC was outed by the media mob, I don't know. The FBI may have asked them to help at that point. perhaps. OC had not "confessed" yet to the FBI that he had made everything up, and they would be somewhat interested in protecting him and his daughter as witnesses.

As fo OC making up the story, I examine that in close detail in chapter Exposed. I do not think it is possible to make up such details on the fly to console Chandra's mother, and repeat this story for six weeks to the FBI, Washington Post, Modesto Bee, and the Levys without one contradiction or obviously wrong detail.

And there were many details, retold to the Levys while crying. I don't think he was crying because he had told a fib.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently due to an arrest made in Jon Benet Ramsey case (see Arrest in JonBenet Ramsey Case), Forbes ran a summary of a few high profile unsolved cases which included:

from www.forbes.com (fair use)

http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/ap/2006/08/16/ap2955146.html

a Look at Other Unsolved Slayings
By The Associated Press

A look at other prominent slayings that remained unsolved:

_ JIMMY HOFFA: (snip)

_ NATALEE HOLLOWAY: The 18-year-old American woman was visiting the Caribbean island of Aruba with high school classmates when she vanished May 30, 2005. She was last seen leaving a bar with a Dutch college student. The student and two friends were arrested, then released after a court ruled there was not enough evidence to hold them.

_ CHANDRA LEVY: The former intern for the U.S. Bureau of Prisons was 24 when she disappeared on May 1, 2001, in Washington. Her case drew national attention because of her relationship with then-Rep. Gary Condit. The congressman, then 54 and married, reportedly told police that he and Levy were having an affair. Police do not consider him a suspect.

_ NOTORIOUS B.I.G.: (snip)

Copyright 2006 Associated Press
rd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this five year point since Chandra disappeared, I ran across a question I posed which remains as relevant as ever.

Look at this statement.

Newsday
July 18, 2001

Dayton, the Condit aide, said Condit no longer rides his bike to work or takes a taxi because the media throng outside his Washington apartment "makes it hard to get a cab." Aides pick him up each morning and bring him home each night.
end quote

Dayton was seen driving Condit to and from work as if he did it all the time. We have also seen where Condit kept a bike in his office and rode to Rock Creek Park during the day, but here we see that he rode the bike to work as well.

Some things started clicking. Dayton was known to ride his bike to work from his Alexandria home and was quoted as saying that he was unhappy news coverage prevented him from continuing to do that, just as with Condit above.

When Condit had an interview with Rebecca Cooper of ABC, he rode with her in a cab to the Tryst Restaraunt close to his apartment. He originally put in his timeline that this interview took place Tuesday evening, the day that Chandra disappeared, but Rebecca Cooper and ABC notified the police that it was actually late afternoon Wednesday, the next day, when they met.

Condit then changed his timeline to say that Dayton drove him home the day Chandra disappeared, just after completing voting. But Dayton didn't drive him home the next day. Instead, Condit left with Rebecca Cooper in a cab, just after completing voting.

Why did Dayton drive Condit home the day Chandra disappeared, when it appears it was not his normal procedure?

Did Dayton in fact drive him home at all that day, or did Condit feel compelled to have an alibi for that time when the reporter, whom it has been reported he used to date and knew well, went to the police about his lie in the timeline? And if so, why?

Dayton and Condit often rode their bikes to work or Condit took a taxi. It's only when the press started chasing Condit that Dayton started driving him, yet when ABC reporter Rebecca Cooper told the police that she didn't meet Condit the day Chandra disappeared, Condit amended his timeline to say that Dayton drove him home.

He never drove Condit home the rest of the week. Why on the day that Chandra disappeared? And why didn't he want to tell the police about it?

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condit has changed many things about his timeline besides his drive home, and what day he was interviewed, and it was ammended the date Condit has his meeting with Cheney, his office stated April 30th and days later, said, May 1st...the meeting was allegedly to do with the California energy crisis simposium, which began at 1:pm. Everyone else was there, and it is curious that Condit was not in attendance. He had to have been suppose to attended, presumably he went for a meeting with the VP on the matter, so why not attend the symposium which was running for two days. What was so important at 1pm that he was not there. I listened to the two days of tapes and Condit wasn't there. Presumably there is a video clipping of this symposium, if not the congress is as disorganized as the police. It was recorded and still can be heard, plus there is a transcript also...

I believe the time was 1-4..I very much think Condit was suppose to be there...

We have yet to have any verification where he was all afternoon, other than he states he was in his office, which I believe has two doors, one to the secretaries office, and one out the door...so he needs an alibi.

rd, Condit's story about the watch box is also a dilly, and we know he lied about using his car, which he said he never drove, as Anne Marie described the vehicle he owns, and there was a picture on line at some point.

I often wondered if Chandra had a bike, or perhaps the use of one, riding a bike in a park is more comforting than walking, stand more of a chance to get away. It has always been conceiveable that Condit lured Chandra when she went out at 1pm, surely he was going to see her before she left, I don't think Chandra would've been too happy about his one minute phone conversation as a good bye call on the 29th, nope this would never have done. A ride in the park, then I can understand why Chandra was wearing the clothes she was, the spandex pants, and tennis sneakers make sense, the outfit did not make sense for jogging, but biking that is a whole other matter.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a possibility to consider, kate. I don't recall any definitive statement that she did or didn't have a bike.

I would think if she had one it would be locked up on a bike rack outside the Newport and there would have been something about it, but there wasn't.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the retirement of Brad Garrett that I was writing about earlier in this thread. Recently hopped on a plane to check a lead in the Levy case? I hope that's more than happy talk.

rd

from www.washingtonpost.com (fair use)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/27/AR2006082700923.html

Celebrated FBI Agent Will Retire Haunted by Those Who Got Away
By Allan Lengel
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 28, 2006

Time is running out for FBI agent Brad Garrett, who helped solve the Starbucks slayings in the Georgetown area, helped persuade sniper Lee Boyd Malvo to confess and flew to Pakistan to help nab the man who gunned down two CIA workers outside the agency's headquarters in McLean.

One of the most renowned agents to work in the FBI's Washington field office, he will retire Thursday after 16 years in Washington and 21 years in all -- regretfully, he said, before he can solve some of his most famous cases. The mandatory retirement age is 57. He is 58, finishing up a one-year extension approved by the FBI director.

In recent weeks, Garrett has hardly acted like a guy winding things down. Even now, he holds out a measure of hope, conducting interviews, checking criminal records -- and hopping on a plane recently to track a possible lead in the slaying of Chandra Levy.

Besides the Levy killing, Garrett has his sights on solving the case of a Vietnamese woman and her 2 1/2 -year-old son slain in Fairfax County in 1995, possibly the victims of Asian organized crime. And the 1999 execution-style slaying in McLean of an Iraqi woman, her son and her husband, who was working on a food-for-oil deal with Iraq.

"It causes me a lot of anxiety," Garrett said. "Not that somebody else can't solve these cases. Of course they can. Cases become sort of part of you, and these kind of cases tend to do that more so because they are investigated for so many years."

Prone to dressing in black, Garrett looks more like a music mogul than an FBI agent. But beyond the hip, calm exterior is a former probation officer with a doctorate in criminology who has gained gushing admiration from co-workers and police detectives -- and even the grudging approval of some criminals he has caught.

"He's accomplished, confident, he's a very patient interviewer," said FBI agent Chuck Knowles. "He makes that connection with people, and they want to tell him their secrets."

Ronald H. Chavarro, Garrett's FBI supervisor, added: "He's empathetic, he's nonjudgmental, he's approachable. . . . They don't come any better than him.

"He had no interest in going into management; he's had no interest but investigating cases," Chavarro added. "That's been his passion."

(snip about Pakistan investigation)

Garrett, an ex-Marine who grew up in Indiana, joined the FBI in Nashville before moving to the Washington field office in 1990, where he became adept at criminal profiling and hostage negotiations and earned a reputation as a tireless investigator.

"He works on his cases 24-7," said retired FBI agent and friend Susan Lloyd. "If need be, there's no such thing as a weekend or a close of business."

In recent years, Garrett said, he has gotten better about not obsessing about his cases on his off time, and last year he married a federal prosecutor who worked on the Levy case.

Throughout his career, Garrett has navigated easily back and forth between international and local cases.

In 1997, a few weeks after capturing the CIA killer in Pakistan, Garrett was back home working the triple slaying at a Georgetown area Starbucks, which appeared to be a robbery that went bad.

He teamed up with Jim Trainum, a skilled D.C. police detective. They played good cop-bad cop with suspect Carl Cooper, with whom they had spoken but had not arrested. Cooper hated Trainum and talked of harming him.

But not Garrett.

"He ain't never disrespected me or my wife," Cooper said in a conversation that was taped secretly by investigators. "I kind of like" him, Cooper said, describing the agent as "cool."

In the end, after a cat-and-mouse game of more than a year, Cooper confessed. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

"We would have never solved the Starbucks case if it hadn't been for Brad Garrett's abilities and energy," Trainum said. "He taught me so much. He spoiled me. He's the person you want to have on every case."

In the summer of 2001, Garrett entered the Levy case, and shortly after the Washington area sniper suspects were arrested in October 2002, Garrett and a Fairfax County detective met with Lee Boyd Malvo.

(snip about DC sniper case)

For all of Garrett's successes, other cases fill his brain, including the Levy case and the 1999 slayings of an Iraqi, Fuad K. Taima, his wife, Dorothy, and 16-year-old son, Leith.

But perhaps the one that haunts him most deeply is the killing of Kieuoanh Thi "Nina" Nguyen, 35, and her son Ryobi, 2. Mother and child were kidnapped from their Franconia home in November 1995. A ransom demand was made by phone from the home to the husband, who was in Vietnam on business, but no further contact was made.

About six months later, a fisherman found a trash can in a Springfield pond. Inside, the mother and son were bound and gagged, facing each other.

"It's an image you can't get out of your mind," Garrett said.

What does such a storied ex-FBI agent do for an encore? Garrett plans to start an investigative consulting business.

But he'll miss being an agent.

"There's a tremendous intensity working these cases," he said. "It becomes addictive to a certain extent. I'm sure for a period of time I'll feel a tremendous loss."

© 2006 The Washington Post Company
Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Peripetria's Post--Chandra's Leggings Reply with quote

I found your post very interesting, Peripetria. You gave a plausible explanation for why Chandra would have been wearing leggings during the heat-wave in D.C. back in early May of 2001. One thing, though, the blood-hounds deployed in the search for Chandra didn't pick up her scent near her apartment. She would have had to have departed from a different location.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tracking dog(s) were said to have gone out the front door of the Newport and lost Chandra's scent at the curb.

On the other hand, I give it as much credence as anything else the DC police did, which is none. They performed this pathetic exercise at least six weeks after Chandra disappeared.

The simple fact is that Condit told them early on she was so obsessed with him he had to quit taking her numerous calls, and the DC police assumed she was a suicidal runaway. They were just waiting for her to show up somewhere, dead or alive, in a bad wig.

If she hadn't been shown the door at the Bureau of Prisons public relations office the week before, and her applications to the BOP and FBI hadn't disappeared as well, she would have been an aspiring FBI agent government employee in a sensitive job at the Bureau of Prisons at a time Timothy McVeigh was being processed for execution.

How long do you think the DC police would have taken to find a tracking dog then? And why was Chandra shown the door at the BOP public relations office a week before she disappeared?

Their explanation is as fuzzy as Condit's explanations for all of this. Certainly none of it is the truth.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran across the Wikipedia entry for Gary Condit, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Condit

It's a decent writeup. There's one factual error though, a pretty important error. it reads:

After an extensive search, Levy's remains were discovered a year after her disappearance by a jogger in Rock Creek Park in Washington, D.C.

She of course was found by a turtle hunter. It is a significant factual error in that it implies she was in a jogging area, and thus jogging, as Condit's lawyer Geragos has so deceitfully brainwashed the press into repeating.

That she was found on the side of a mountain by a man and his dog hunting for turtles conveys an accurate image of what happened to Chandra, despite being as inconvenient to Condit as Chandra was.

I will be contacting Wikipedia editors and offering a link to chapter Hunting Turtles if they wish to use it there, but they probably don't need it. This reference in Chandra's Wikipedia entry, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandra_Levy ,is accurate:

Discovery of remains

District of Columbia Police Chief Charles Ramsey announced on May 22, 2002, that remains matching Levy's dental records were found by a man walking his dog and looking for turtles in Rock Creek Park near Levy's apartment in northwest Washington, D.C.

I'll ask them to at least change Levy's remains discovered statement in Condit's article from jogger to a man walking his dog.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd, I think you can edit Wiki yourself.
rd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little more complicated than that, jane. There's a discussion protocol that should be followed when suggesting changes to discuss with the people involved in writing the article. For example, someone persuaded by Geragos who may have originally wrote it may prefer it read that way.

I could change it without discussion, possibly, Wikipedia is in the midst of rules changes concerning standing within the Wikipedia community before being able to make edits seen immediately by the public, but it really should be discussed first. They provide that mechanism for this situation.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.

Well, I can see where 'jogger' reads alot better than turtle hunter. Artistic licence, perhaps?
rd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that's what I thought, but jogger implies it's in a jogging area and that she was jogging, which is a primary lie perpetrated by Condit early on.

There is a great deal of analysis in Murder on a Horse Trail on actions police took based on statements made, and reported numerous times, that Chandra frequented Rock Creek Park to walk and jog. This was before the police got information from her PC.

There has never been any identification of the source of this information. Given that the only people in DC police talked to who knew Chandra well were Condit and Sven, and that Sven said that he had never known of Chandra going to Rock Creek Park, that leaves Condit.

So jogger may be easier to say and understand, but it's the wrong understanding. On the other hand, it is the understanding the police had.

Who gave it to them, and why?

rd
jane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It's not a good jogging spot, either on the rugged horse trail or on the shoulderless road below.
Rainbow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: "Crossroads", not "Horsetrail" Reply with quote

Think about it. . . Murdered at a "Crossroads" or murdered and placed "at a crossroads"? Which sounds more logical, considering where Chandra's remains were found, what state they were in and the additional evidence that was collected at the "murder" or "staging" scene?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Background Information on Chandra Levy All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: