www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Michael Doyle reviews thinly disguised play about Chandra
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Michael Doyle reviews thinly disguised play about Chandra Reply with quote

I had seen a couple of obscure reviews of this play, Aphrodisiac, but they were such horrid reviews (the play was said to be horrid, not the reviews) and the play so off off Broadway, that it looked like a cheap publicity stunt.

But Michael Doyle of the Modesto Bee just wrote about it, and I am astounded at the details he provides. "Thinly disguised" is an understatement. Try "only the names were changed to protect the innocent".

Here's the article:
from www.modbee.com (fair use)

Play puts Condit back in the spotlight
'Aphrodisiac' thinly disguises disappearance of intern Levy
By MICHAEL DOYLE
BEE WASHINGTON BUREAU
December 31, 2005

Rob Campbell plays Avery Ferris, son of Rep. Dan Ferris, and Jennifer Dundas plays daughter Alma Ferris in 'Aphrodisiac.'

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/11642576p-12372079c.html

excerpts

Respectfully received by critics, and at the tail end of a five-week run at New Haven's Long Wharf Theatre, the one-act play called "Aphrodisiac" explores what might have happened between Condit the congressman and Chandra Levy the one-time intern.

(snip)

Former presidential paramour Monica Lewinsky makes an appearance, uncannily channeled by actress Yetta Gottesman. She knows about power as an aphrodisiac.

But mostly, "Aphrodisiac" shows the congressman's son and daughter struggling to understand the intern's disappearance and the nature of her relationship with their father. They act out, role play and speculate; trying through different combinations to crack a safe in which the truth resides.

(snip)

The congressman in "Aphrodisiac" is called Dan Ferris, not Gary Condit, and the children are called Alma and Avery, not Chad and Cadee. Still, it's a thin disguise, punctuated repeatedly not just by the overall plotline but by factoids snipped from yesterday's headlines. The fictional Congressman Ferris is said to have represented Merced County and the 18th Congressional District, just like Condit. The play's fictional intern is said to have searched the Internet for Washington's Klingle Mansion. So did Levy. Oddball rumors about the congressman's wife having no thumbs pop up in the play, much as they once circulated in some of the Internet's more fevered neighborhoods.

"I just love the little details," [playwright Rob] Handel said, "and I couldn't have improved on some of the language."

So it is that when the play's Congressman Ferris answers, on tape, questions posed by a television reporter, the words come straight from Condit's widely derided August 2001 interview with Connie Chung. Every "uh," every little stutter, every dodging phrase is strict historical text.

"I've been married for 34 years and, uh, I've not been a, a perfect man, and I've made my share of mistakes," Ferris-Condit says when asked about his relationship with the missing intern.

The Long Wharf Theatre, well-known in theatrical circles, deliberately spotlighted the story behind the story.

Photographs, newspaper articles and background documents amounting to a mini-museum of sex and politics decorated the lobby of Stage Two, the Long Wharf's 198-seat smaller theater where "Aphrodisiac" was performed. The lobby exhibit ends, right next to the door where customers enter the world of make-believe, with a floor-to-ceiling photograph of Chandra Levy.

"This deals with something that happened a few years ago," Beatrice Basso, the Long Wharf Theatre's dramaturg, told a discussion group after one performance, "but it does so in a way that expands the event."

(snip)

Bee Washington Bureau reporter Michael Doyle can be reached at 202-383-0006, or mdoyle@mcclatchydc.com.
Copyright © 2005 The Modesto Bee.

end quote

read the online true crime mystery novel
Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

click here for the justiceforchandra home page
rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a review I haven't seen, from Variety. The rest of the reviews from smaller regional papers include the one or two I saw, which describe the play as rancid. That's ok, but they don't provide any additional details.

rd

from www.variety.com (fair use)

Aphrodisiac

(Long Wharf Theater, Stage II, New Haven, Conn.; 200 seats; $60 top)

A Long Wharf Theater presentation of a play in one act by Rob Handel. Directed by Ken Rus Schmoll.

Avery - Rob Campbell
Alma - Jennifer Dundas
Monica - Yetta Gottesman

By FRANK RIZZO
Thurs., Dec. 8, 2005
Variety

Everything is always about appearances," says a character in Rob Handel's seriocomic look at the Washington intersection of public and private lives. But as Handel takes on a barely fictionalized account of the sex scandal surrounding Congressman Gary Condit and intern Chandra Levy -- the latter went missing in 2001 and was found dead the following year -- these appearances come with their own forced perspectives that are far from fair, true or moral. Handel's playful study of slippery identities is nevertheless pretty engaging as it explore the fictions people employ and the games they play.

Neither the Condit nor the Levy character appears directly in this short and snappy one-acter, receiving its regional bow after an Off Broadway run last year at playwrights' collective 13P. Instead, the two are envisioned by the politician's adult son and daughter (Rob Campbell and Jennifer Dundas), who role-play the characters in the search for answers about their father, their culture and themselves.

The result is a play of amusing theatricality: One is never sure when the sister-brother act will slip into fantasy interrogations and confrontations. It begins intriguingly with one of the last encounters between the "consummate professional" politician and his young mistress, only to reveal in the next scene that the two are really the siblings "acting out" as they try to understand the nature of their father's now-exposed affair, which is saturating the media during a slow news summer.

But soon they start role-playing about their long suffering "Stepford Wife" mother, and then about themselves, revealing that false faces may be a family as well as an American trait.

Handel is a deft writer who scores big with three great monologues, presented beautifully by his savvy and just-sympathetic-enough cast, well tuned by helmer Ken Rus Schmoll.

The first is delivered by the 33-year-old son playing the baby-boom pol, describing what it's like being in D.C. during "Clinton time" where "being a freshman congressman is just like being a freshman." He describes hanging with Big Bill, Keith Richards and Willie Nelson as a heady, empowering and fantasy-rich experience, but also one that's lonely, confused and sadly adolescent.

The second is by the 24-year-old daughter playing the missing intern, desperately and despairingly in love. Both find more than a little of themselves in these invented characters.

The monologue by the other character in this three-hander -- Monica Lewinsky (Yetta Gottesman) -- affords yet another view at the intoxicating pull toward power, one propelled by the heart that eventually gives way to a cold, protective realism. The appearance of Lewinsky stops the siblings cold in their role-playing and even reduces them to asking the most banal yet fundamental question: "What's it like?"

Gottesman is stunning as the poised and centered Monica, revealing the details inquiring minds want to know but also exposing those same minds to some cold truths, as well as her simple gratitude that she emerged from the scandal if not unscathed, at least alive.

All the hand-wringing over political peccadilloes is a bit dated, whether they're those of the faux-Condit or for-real Bill Clinton. Immorality measured by the previous administration's standards by the siblings seems almost trivial four years later in a post-9/11 world.

There also are few particular insights offered in the examination of the devolution of the media, the public's attraction to celebrity and the seductive appeal of smooth-talking, good-looking bad boys.

Finally, while the epilogue might end the evening with a dramatic chill, it robs the play of its view that it is nearly impossible to know the true identity of anyone in Washington.

Still, Handel's ambition and talent show enough theatrical style and engagement to suggest that his is not just the appearance of a promising playwright but the real thing.

Sets, Sue Rees; costumes, Michelle R. Phillips; lighting, Garin Marshall; sound, Bray Poor; production stage manager, Charles M. Turner III. Opened, reviewed Dec. 7, 2005. Runs through Jan. 1. Running time: 1 HOUR, 20 MIN.
propria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA!!!! as far as i'm concerned, this is a classic illustration of the adage that 'truth will always out' ... and an answer to an awful lot of prayers, as well. among other things, 'aphrodisiac' brings this evil deed back into the news where truth has an opportunity once again to present itself in the spotlight and to exercise its inherent power. you have to wonder what scary gary, et al., have to say about this little snippet of dramatic art ... i'd give my eyeteeth to be a fly on the wall in that desert fortress they're in these days, at least as far as we know.

nanci
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, nanci, and this story still is fascinating to many people. The play explores it, and one can be sure that Condit is not happy with people exploring what happened.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Comment Reply with quote

RD: thanks for the reviews. I have never heard of the play, but you sucked me in!

I'm intrigued...

Truth is in the words, and the review of the content.

You are correct---"Mr. C is not a happy man after this play."

A quick reminder for the guests:

Read Rd's book as a New Years Goal.......

Goz
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is always more fascinating that fiction, don't know who said this but it seems fitting.....

Happy New Year and all Best Wishes for the promises that a New Year brings.
benn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment Reply with quote

Hello gozgal,

You might get more interested in this play if you write an email or two to Michael Doyle of the Modesto Bee. I used to write him once in a while, and sometimes he would answer, and sometimes not. If you want to get more interested in Chandra's case ask Michael Doyle about the Otis Thomas Story that actually began before Chandra disappeared but was classified by FBI investigators as being a fabrication by Thomas.

Also why do the most modern Chandra Levy news stories completely overlook the Otis Thomas story?

A logical answer for the news stories overlooking the Otis Thomas story is that the story would do no good and would only hurt Thomas. Bringing the story back to life might cause Thomas some more trouble, but good investigating should be able to avoid that kind of problem for Thomas.

How could Thomas fabricate a story before the story began? Get a little more interested gozgal, and I will send an email to Modestor Bee reporter Michael Doyle myself. Also there might be some people connected with the play who would be interested if contacted.

Has anyone really looked at the Otis Thomas Story to see how the individual parts of the story developed?

benn

gozgals wrote:
RD: thanks for the reviews. I have never heard of the play, but you sucked me in!

I'm intrigued...

Truth is in the words, and the review of the content.

You are correct---"Mr. C is not a happy man after this play."

A quick reminder for the guests:

Read Rd's book as a New Years Goal.......

Goz
peripeteia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benn greetings and salutations;

You are very astute, you have thought out your post very logically and written this in a succinct manner, actually you should send a copy of this to Michael Doyle, it is written very well indeed.

There is another nagging question that could easily be answered with some good investigation, among many other points of interest in Chandra's disappearance. However to state the obvious, is that indeed much went on before Chandra's disappearance that need clarification.

Such as, did Chandra and Condit know one another before Chandra moved to Washington, and I'm certain that they did, and somehow, the media has been stonewalled, or whitewashed, who knows which. In that we are to believe that Chandra who worked at Grey's office, where Chad and Cadee worked, that they did not meet Chandra? How stupid is that! Michael Roirdon where Chandra worked as well, had ties to Condit, and he did state that Condit should be more forthcoming. Also, we have Mark Steele, who partnered for some time with Burt Condit, and Chandra had worked as a voluteer at the Modesto Police Force, where Burt and Mark both worked, and Mark had been Chandra's X. There is also the issue of Chandra speaking directly with Dunn the director of BOP, for the interview for the job. This does not happen in real life, a position for an intern and the director of the department does the interviewing? Unlikely! I think it more than clear, that Gary Condit was the go between in order for Chandra to get this position. I think it is clear that Chandra and Condit had a relationship going on while Chandra was living in California and she specifically moved to Washington, for her career and to be with Condit.

So sue me if I'm wrong, but without an investigation into several apparent flaws in Law Enforcements' handling of Chandra's disappearance these questions remain unanswered, also, the whole Thomas Affair likely goes to motive or reason why Chandra disappeared, because she did the unthinkable, Chandra revealed her relationship with Condit to another. It had to have been apparent to Condit that both Mrs. Levy and Thomas had spoken together about he and Chandra. Condit too knew that Chandra had discussed this matter with her Mother.

I believe this is the reason too why Chandra was dismissed from the BOP, what god giveth, he (Gary) can take away. Condit ordered Chandra to loose her job, or one of his sidekicks did this, and Chandra needed to disappear out of the picture, because Gary Condit was going to loose his seat. Well he lost his seat anyway, and Chandra lost her life. Whether Gary Condit had anything to due with Chandra's disappearance is not know, but Chandra was likely ordered out of Condit's life by one of Condit's political cronies if it was not him. Until law enforcement looks into these unanswered questions, we are left to make assumptions, which which seem closer to the truth than not.

The grand jury await answers, the Levees await answers, the public await answers. Where has the grand jury gone?!

All the Best in the new year Benn....kate
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benn:

Happy New Year and it is always my pleasure to see you. Thank you for thinking of me to look into this matter.

It appears that you and Kate seem to have this matter under control since you both have most of the facts, if not all, and are way ahead of me. Kate is correct Benn in her posting, "you should write the letter" and get the ball rolling. I just read her post and she could join you in this matter as she has laid it all out so much better than I could at this point.

This may get the mission completed and a response quicker if you both worked on this idea of yours--- which if I might add is wonderful Benn.
I enjoy writing and helping families too Benn, and have accomplished much on my own too. I'm still bugging a few people to move some investigations forward.

I hope to continue to see you posting Benn, you are just such a fine asset and joy.

Have a great New Year's everyone.

Goz

"The most perfect technique is that which is not noticed at all"
----Pablo Casals
rd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benn has written, more than once. He was encouraging others to do so as well. And the group here most certainly has. However, it is for readers who may be visiting the site to make them aware that Chandra's case is only cold by choice, and hope some may ask why.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-------Well in that case, I see that there will be a pen in my hand and hopefully a couple of guests too.

Goz
rd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully. Thanks goz and benn.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, I had this message ready to post last night but then got sidetracked.

Thank you for your remarks Kate and gozgal. We seem to have a few questions of interest in agreement. We are able to raise questions here as to some of the evidence that might point to Chandra's murderer, but we are not able to get a preponderence of good questions to break this case out into the open again.

As to a letter, or letters, to Mike Doyle, that all sounds good, but maybe it is a matter of timing, the right letters to the right people at the right time. What we really need here is someone with a little legal expertise, maybe not too much, just a little.

Of course the more amateurs that we can get interested in this case might also be helpful. It takes fuel to keep a fire going. Thomas made up his story, according to the FBI, and then the newspapers somehow blasted the story all over the nation. It would be interesting to know how much infornation could be retrieved from law enforcement under the Freedom of Information Act.

Congressman Condit at all times when questioned by the Police and FBI had his attorney at the ready, but there is no indication that Otis Thomas had any legal aide at all. What questions were asked of Thomas? How long was he interrogated? Why should a gardener and a preacher have any less legal aide than a Congressman?

All questions that no one wants to answer, or that some might not want answered.

I wrote an email once to the NAACP in Modesto, California, some time after the Otis Thomas story had been called a fabrication, suggesting that maybe Thomas needed an attorney also. Condit's staff had attorneys, why should not Otis Thomas have had an attorney. as well? I did not get a reply from the NAACP in Modesto, but I felt good that I had written them.

Thomas was called a "lawn care guy," or words to that effect, by one of the lawyered up questionees on a coast to coast tv program.

Here is one other name that I had not gotten into my message last night. Joseph McNamatra. I do not know of anyone here who has ever written to him, except myself. I emailed him only once, on a Sunday, and he answered the next day.

I will quote just a little of his bio from a website I brought up with Google.

http://www.hoover.org/bios/mcnamara.html

(fair use, just an introduction)

"""Joseph D. McNamara was appointed a research fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University, in 1991. He was chief of police for the city of San Jose, California, for fifteen years. He is recognized as an expert in criminal justice, police technology and management systems, crime prevention, and international drug control policies.

McNamara's career in law enforcement spans a thirty-five-year period. He began in Harlem as a beat patrolman for the New York City Police Department."""

This is someone to write to for the serious few. I think in my email to McNamara I mentioned Mike Doyle, and I also wrote to Doyle about McNamara. Doyle said that he had interviewed McNamara more than once. I am not putting any of McNamara's addresses down here, but I am certain that they can be easily found.

The right questions to Joseph McNamara might produce almost any kind of answers, and the price is right as long as we state our questions properly. I used to live right near to Stanford University.

Go for it someone. I will start thinking about writing to both Mike Doyle and Joseph McNamara about Chandra.

Touche (without an accent.)

Benn
benn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Trivia, buit maybe not so trivial. One man's trivia might be another investigators evidence. Fair use.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0108/30/lkl.00.html
CNN LARRY KING LIVE
Gary Condit's Staff Speaks Out
Aired August 30, 2001 - 21:00 ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.
END QUOTE.

QUOTE: "So that didn't shock me that even after emphatically saying that Mr. Condit never knew this woman, and doesn't know who Jennifer Thomas woman is, and for people that don't know, this reverend that happens to be the lawn care guy for the Levys makes an allegation that Gary had an affair with her daughter, and there is this love child. And they reported it anyway, so no, I mean, there has been many things, but they haven't shocked me. (CROSSTALK)" END QUOTE.
This looks like sort of sloppy reporting, or investigating. Gee Gary is a nice guy, we all love him, we work for him, and he pays our salaries.
Anyway there is a lot of material around. A lot of it looks like it would not stand up to intensive observation, or cross examination.
benn
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benn

There is some truth to every rumour! There seems little doubt that there is something to the Thomas Affair, simply because Susan Levy is convinced that there is more than what meets the eye, per se. Susan thinks that there is a link between Chandra's disappearance and the release of the information to Gary Condit that Chandra knew of the Thomas Affair. If it bothers Susan Levy, then it should bother everyone, Susan knowns.

Little does Susan Levy know, Benn you have been a constant supporter of Susan Levy's suspicious regarding her daughter's disappearance. You go Benn. You're the Best!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: