www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equusearch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Equusearch Reply with quote

I am curious about Equusearch, who have just found the body of a missing little girl.

I love horses, and miss riding (which I used to do as a kid), so I get a thrill just reading about the requirements for Equusearch horses!

Apparently they have a deficit of $60,000 - this would be a good organization to help, if anyone has the means...

http://www.texasequusearch.org/
jane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from America's Most Wanted site

EquuSearch: A Recovery Team
11/1/2005

The Texas EquuSearch Mounted Search and Recovery Team was started in August, 2000 to provide volunteer horse mounted search and recovery for lost and missing persons. The team's director, Tim Miller, created the volunteer, non-profit organization in honor of his daughter Laura, who was abducted and murdered in 1984.

In September 1984, 16-year-old Laura vanished. Tim quickly went to the police department to file a missing persons report. But, his concerns about his daughter were quickly brushed aside. Police told Tim that his daughter had run away and that he just had to wait for her to call.

Then, Tim heard of some disturbing news. The remains of a young woman, Heidi Villareal Fye, were found five months before Laura disappeared near an abandoned oil field in League City, Texas. What astonished Tim was that Heidi had lived only four blocks from the Miller's home.

Seventeen months after Laura's disappearance, Tim received the news he had been dreading. Two bodies were found in the same abandoned oil field as Heidi Fye. One of those young women was identified as Tim's daughter, Laura. Two decades later, Laura's murder is stil unsolved, but Tim Miller is not a quitter.

A Father's Mission

Tim Miller decided to pour his energy into creating a group that could help others in locating their missing loved ones. The result: EquuSeach, a mounted search and rescue team with volunteers world-wide. EquuSearch has expanded to include not only land searching capabilites but also water, through the use of high-tech sonar equipment.

EquuSearch has traveled across the globe to search and recover missing persons. The volunteer efforts have led to the recovery of missing people. In the summer of 2005, EquuSearch joined the search for Natalee Holloway who disappeared while on a vacation in Aruba in May.
jane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair use
from Click2 Houston

EquuSearch Founder Receives Note Allegedly From Daughter's Killer
Letter Sent 5 Months After Death Of Murder Suspect

POSTED: 10:12 am CST December 22, 2005

http://www.click2houston.com/news/5611818/detail.html#

HOUSTON -- Someone sent a chilling note to a Houston-are man who runs an organization that helps find missing people, KPRC Local 2 reported Wednesday.

Tim Miller founded Texas EquuSearch after his daughter, Laura, and three other missing girls were found murdered in League City in 1984.

The note Miller received, which was made up of words cut from newspapers and magazines, claimed to be from the last person to see Laura Miller alive.

Authorities and Miller said the letter could be a trick.

The letter was sent five months after the death of one of the murder suspects.

Copyright 2005 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
jane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excerpt from a 26 June 2005 CNN transcript on Miller's (of Equusearch) work (consisting of Miller on the telephone, with a voiceover by CNN's Alex Quade and Q/As between Quade and Miller.)

QUADE: Miller quit his job to search full-time for missing people like Natalee Holloway. This call is with the head of the Aruban search team.

MILLER: I don't want, by any means, for anybody to think that we're coming over and taking over anybody's job. Law enforcement is looking forward to us working with them.

QUADE: Miller does this because he shares an unwanted bond with Natalee Holloway's parents.

Your daughter Laura was just about the same age Natalee Holloway?

MILLER: Mm-hmm. Natalee's parents and myself share something - a missing daughter.

QUADE: Tim Miller knows. His daughter Laura was abducted, raped, and murdered 21 years ago.

MILLER: When I'd walk out to the killing fields where Laura's body was found, only miles from here, and I walked - I'd walk up to the cross that I made for her, and I would literally hear a little voice over my left shoulder when I was leaving, saying, "Dad, don't quit. Please don't quit."

QUADE: He doesn't slow down, despite a heart attack in February. Four hours before the flight to Aruba...

MILLER: And get word to him that these dog people...

QUADE: The cadaver dogs still need certificates. The dive boat sonar still needs insurance. Miller and his advance team almost miss the flight to Aruba. On board, still too much planning to sleep. Logistic calls even during layovers.

MILLER: Yes, I want to have both of them, because they've got two boats for us.

QUADE: His team is not getting paid to do this.

MILLER: Laura's giving me the strength and the courage to do what I do.

QUADE: Landing in Aruba, the focus is 100 percent Natalee Holloway.

MILLER: Was already doing recon work, so I know this.

QUADE: Miller gets everyone together in what you might call a secret strategy room. He talks with U.S. consulate members and detectives. He talks with Natalee's parents and their attorney, Vinda Desouza.

Later, they meet with the Aruban police chief and report back to the group.

MILLER: And we've got a green light to do whatever we need to do for one reason. And that's to take Natalee home. I feel very, very optimistic that we are going to take Natalee back to Alabama, where she belongs.

QUADE: Tim Miller, his volunteers and cadaver dogs, are now working literally 24 hours a day until they find her, or until they run out of donated funds to keep searching.

MILLER: (INAUDIBLE) ahead of us. We've got some real emotional days ahead of us. Let's start our plans and let's go to work and let's find our girl. So all we need to do now is go find her.

QUADE: Alex Quade, CNN, Aruba.
jane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daily Point of Light Award

TIMOTHY A. MILLER

Dickinson, TX
Daily Point of Light No. 2838
December 21, 2004

The Texas EquuSearch Mounted Search and recovery Team (TES) was founded by Mr.
Timothy (Tim) A. Miller in August 2000 with the purpose to provide volunteer horse
mounted search and recovery resources for the search of lost and missing persons.

The TES was started in North Galveston County, Texas because of the high incidence
of missing persons in this largely undeveloped area. TES is dedicated to the memory of
Laura Miller, a young woman abducted and murdered in 1984 and the daughter of Tim
Miller. TES is composed of volunteers of various talents, including experienced horse
owners. TES has recruited more than 250+ members over the years, conducting
searches locally, statewide, and nationally. TES is a nonprofit and funded solely by
donations from team members and the surrounding communities. Mr. Miller receives,
infrequently, a small stipend that helps to defray some of his personal TES expenses
as its director.

The TES organization is compassionate and dedicated. TES’s fundamental belief is that
we can better ourselves by working together to help the community and people in
need. Many TES members are trained in various rescue and life saving skills such as
CPR, advanced lifesaving skills, aircraft search operations. Members come from all
walks of life…business owners, medics, firefighters, housewives, electricians, pilots,
and students. Resources range from horse and rider teams to foot searchers, water
(divers, boats) air (planes, helicopters), dog teams (air scent, cadaver, and tracking)
and ATVs. TES is a professional organization that takes notification of, and the search
for, a missing person very seriously.

Much thought was given by Tim Miller to the idea of forming TES. The following words
are Tim Miller’s own, and the spirit of the TES mission:

“…I know how important a search and rescue team can be. My daughter, Laura Miller
was abducted in September of 1984. I went to the police department to report her missing and file a missing persons report. Five months prior to Laura’s disappearance
the remains of a young lady named Heidi Villareal Fye, were found on some property
at an abandoned oil field on Calder Road in League City, Texas. I told the police officer
taking the report of my concerns, and would they please check the area where she had
been found, or tell me where it was located so that I might check myself. Of course
they said Laura is sixteen, she ran away and will be coming back home…I found out
that Heidi had only lived 4 blocks from our house. So I went back to the police station
to tell them my new worries about the close location of our houses and could they go
and check the field where Heidi was or please take me to where it was located. Again
they said Laura was sixteen and she had run away so we should go home and wait by
the phone for her to call. The days turned into weeks, weeks into months…still no
Laura. Seventeen months later, kids were riding dirt bikes on Calder Road when they
smelled foul odor…it was in fact the remains of a female who had been there
approximately two months. The police were called out to investigate, and during the
investigation stumbled across the remains of yet another female some sixty feet from
the other. These remains of the other girl found were those of my daughter, Laura
Miller…These were by far the most frustrating and lonely seventeen months of my life
and there was some feeling of relief when Laura was found, at least now we know. I
often think of what would have changed back in 1984 when Laura disappeared, if there
has been a Texas EquuSearch. Would Laura have been found alive?…Would Jane Doe
have been murdered?…We could stay in the what ifs-what if we has search that field,
what if we had had a rescue team, but we can also grow from these unfortunate (to
say the least) events. Let’s grow way beyond the surrounding communities in helping
to change the way we handle missing persons. …Our goal is to grow many times over
and serve more and more communities so no family has to experience the feeling of
hopelessness and loneliness if a loved one should ever disappear.” - Tim Miller

Law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, have credited TES with having perhaps
the highest ‘find rate ’ (about 70% -with nearly 85% of these found alive) of any search
and rescue organization in our nation.

In October of 2002, having been invited by The White House, Tim Miller participated in
‘The White House Conference on Missing, Exploited, and Runaway Children’-conferring
with President George W. Bush about Texas EquuSearch ’s accomplishments.
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: EquuSearch Comments Reply with quote

I thank you Jane for posting this on EquuSearch! I too believe it is a great organization and knew some of its founder,s background but was glad to read more on them.

What a cause to donate too. If ever, I will donate to them. (Funds, of course and time, I wish)

As a child I had 2 horses I kept at Grandma's house and have an affection toward them too. Not a great rider anymore, heck probably could not mount one. Across the street from me there are three I have named.

Back to EquuSearch-- I love when someone takes their adversity and turns it to a good cause, as I'm sure you do Jane. I have often brought their work up at home as questions about them were asked and joining the searches.

Once again thanks. And yes, a worthwhile cause for a donation.

Happy Holidays to all here.

GG)
rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info on donating, jane. I wasn't aware of that. I agree with you and goz, Texas EquuSearch is a wonderful group to support.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: