www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teresa Halbach-Oct.31-05 -WI- Updates 2016 Avery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: A Concise Article with links Reply with quote

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/APC0101/51108032&theme=
MISSINGHALBACH&template=theme

This article has some useful links to read:

(Nov. 16, 2005)
MANITOWOC —Steven A. Avery was charged Tuesday with killing a 25-year-old photographer on Halloween and mutilating her corpse — possibly over a series of days — to conceal the crime.

Family anticipates crowd at Halbach funeral
(Nov. 16, 2005)
Family and church leaders are finalizing plans for a Saturday memorial service for Teresa Halbach, the 25-year-old St. John woman who went missing Oct. 31. Police suspect she was killed.

Homicide case builds against Avery (Nov. 16, 2005)

Avery group defends findings (Nov. 15, 2005)

Police suspect torture in killing (Nov. 15, 2005)

Halbach, Teresa M. (Nov. 15, 2005)

Homicide charges against Avery delayed (Nov. 15, 2005)

Evidence search ends at Averys' (Nov. 14, 2005)

Case puts area sheriff in spotlight (Nov. 14, 2005)

Editorial: Halbach family faces tragedy with strength (Nov. 14, 2005)

Prayer service held for Halbach (Nov. 13, 2005)

Halbach's smile memorable (Nov. 13, 2005)

Halbach's loss felt by friends (Nov. 13, 2005)

Halbach investigation: Day by day (Nov. 13, 2005)

Tension, grief build in Halbach case (Nov. 13, 2005)

Teresa Halbach investigation unfolds (Nov. 12, 2005)

Homicide charges expected against Avery (Nov. 12, 2005)

Timelines related to Halbach case (Nov. 12, 2005)

Strong faith anchors family (Nov. 12, 2005)

DA asks to see TV news footage (Nov. 12, 2005)

Residents rally around Halbachs (Nov. 11, 2005)

Avery will be charged in homicide (Nov. 11, 2005)

Avery will face homicide charge (Nov. 11, 2005)

Halbach case: Grim discoveries emerge (Nov. 11, 2005)

Police: Halbach likely murdered (Nov. 11, 2005)

Excerpts from Thursday's news conference on Halbach disappearance (Nov. 11, 2005)

Friends grieve as Halbach search ends (Nov. 11, 2005)

Trouble follows many after release from prison (Nov. 11, 2005)

Steven Avery due in court on Tuesday (Nov. 11, 2005)

New search of Avery property (Nov. 10, 2005)

Evidence may be 'human in nature' (Nov. 10, 2005)

Investigation cost not among police concerns (Nov. 9, 2005)

Halbach case takes criminal turn (Nov. 9, 2005)

Halbach case 'haunts' Depies' mother (Nov. 9, 2005)

Gathering of hopes, prayers (Nov. 8, 2005)

Lives come to a halt amid search (Nov. 8, 2005)

Hundreds join hunt for missing woman (Nov. 7, 2005)

Car of missing woman found (Nov. 6, 2005)

Calumet County family hurts while they hunt for missing relative (Nov. 5, 2005)

Police term woman's disappearance 'suspicious' (Nov. 4, 2005)

GG)
peripeteia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How utterly tragic, now one wonders what else did this Avery do, perhaps he somehow was involved with the rape of the woman that he was wrongfully accused of, there is no convincing me that he just woke up Halloween morning and turned into a wierwolf! It seems as though what is needed these days in order to protect ourselves as women, perhaps we should be buying tazers?! Whatever the penalties that Law Enforcement can dish out, it does not seem enough to deter sociopaths from killing whoever they please, simply because they can. Also, it seems that a stint in prison is not enough to deter criminals, what the answer is I hazzard to guess!

My profound sympathy goes out to the family, that their beautiful, daughter and sister, and likely aunt, and a friend of many is gone in such
a monsterous fashion, and hope and pray that Avery will never see the light of day again on the outside of a prison.
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate I also wonder what this monster is responsible for doing that we know nothing about! I think Mr. Avery is a book that can never be read, but we are finding out he has secrets that are deeply hidden. I still feel he is responsible somehow for the rape.

I just think he was this way long ago as I think back to his crime of setting a Cat on fire. There is the indication of a sociopath or whatever society wants to label him.

Due to his actions, Wisconsin must try and bring back the death penalty and the Innocence Project will be looked at carefully in the future. I'm sure funding won't be granted as quickly anymore.

As stated:

Kate:
Quote:
Whatever the penalties that Law Enforcement can dish out, it does not seem enough to deter sociopaths from killing whoever they please, simply because they can. Also, it seems that a stint in prison is not enough to deter criminals, what the answer is I hazzard to guess!

So true.

May Teresa rest in peace and her family be blessed.

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Another Photographer speaks on being cautious Reply with quote

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=4157947&nav=menu24_1

Freelance Photographers More Cautious
Photographer More Cautious After Halbach Murder

Action 2 News

By Jeff Alexander

Teresa Halbach's murder has left a lasting impression on other local photographers -- a lasting lesson about the risks of their job.

Halbach was last seen on October 31 when she was taking photos of vehicles on Steven Avery's property in Manitowoc County for Auto Trader magazine. Police believe she was murdered the same day. Burned human remains believed to be Halbach were found around Avery's property, and he is now charged with her murder.

The owner of Auto Trader magazine said Halbach's case is a tragedy, and said he's never had problems between employees and customers.

Kim Martin, a professional photographer, has devoted 26 years to capturing important moments in people's lives. Until recently, though, she never really worried about her own personal safety.

"But now I look at that more serious, and I'm more keyed to what's around me and where I'm going, and to make sure that my family knows when I'm on location where exactly I'm at."

Over the years Martin has done a lot of freelance work for real estate magazines. Even today she often knows little about her clients.

"A lot of times I'm called into people's home. I might not know the people. I've had to go into businesses and buildings, places I'm not familiar with," Martin said.

Martin's advice to other, younger photographers doing freelance work is to check out the shoot location in advance, trust your gut feeling, and, if at all possible, learn self-defense.

Still, she admits there will always be an unavoidable risk in this line of work. "You pretty much just have to put your trust in God and just do what you can safety-wise around you."

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Talk's on Reinstating the Death Penalty in WI Reply with quote

http://www.gazetteextra.com/avery_deathpenalty112305.asp

Avery's case helps spark talk of reinstating death penalty

(Published Wednesday, November 23, 2005 04:06:16 PM CST)

By Ryan J. Foley
Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. - Weeks ago, state lawmakers called Steven Avery the poster boy for law changes designed to help ensure no man would spend time in prison for a crime he did not commit.

Now, with Avery back behind bars after being charged with the grisly murder of a 25-year-old photographer, some lawmakers are citing him in their push to resurrect the death penalty in Wisconsin.

"It's sad that this murder occurs but it brings the whole issue of the death penalty back in the news," said state Senate President Alan Lasee, R-De Pere, who has fought to bring back capital punishment for decades.

Wisconsin's 1853 ban on the practice is the longest-standing one of any of the 12 states without it. Attempts to reinstate the punishment - which resulted in four hangings in the 1840s and 1850s - have repeatedly failed over the past 152 years.

Lasee's plan, introduced in February, calls for a nonbinding referendum asking voters whether the state should use the death penalty in cases involving multiple murders and strong DNA evidence.

The lawmaker said he is so incensed by the murder and mutilation of Teresa Halbach in his eastern Wisconsin district that he will amend the resolution to apply to single murders.

"It's pretty gruesome what happened to her," he said.

But Avery illustrates the danger that authorities could put innocent people to death, said Keith Findley, co-director of the Wisconsin Innocence Project, which helped free Avery from prison in 2003 for the 1985 rape he did not commit. "It is in the end a human system and it cannot be made infallible," Findley said.

Avery, 43, was charged with first-degree murder and mutilation of a corpse earlier this month after investigators said they found Halbach's remains, including teeth and bone fragments, at his family's property near Mishicot. Halbach disappeared Oct. 31 after she went to the Avery family's auto salvage business to take a picture of a vehicle for sale.

The next day, lawmakers gave final approval to a series of criminal justice reforms known as the "Steven Avery bill" designed to prevent wrongful convictions. Avery was exonerated after DNA evidence showed another man already serving time for sexual assault committed the rape.

Gov. Jim Doyle and lawmakers appeared with Avery at a news conference in August to endorse the reforms recommended by the so-called Avery task force. Doyle is expected to soon sign the resulting legislation, which would expedite DNA tests that could exonerate prisoners and force police to adopt written policies on using witnesses to identify suspects.

Lasee's resolution for a death penalty referendum, which could get a public hearing as early as next week, needs to pass the Senate and the Assembly before it could appear on statewide ballots next year. If voters support bringing back the death penalty, lawmakers would still have to pass a bill doing so and have the governor sign it into law.

State Sen. Tom Reynolds, R-West Allis, meanwhile, introduced a bill last week to reinstate the death penalty in cases in which a person is charged with murder, sexual assault and mutilation of a corpse. Avery would not qualify since prosecutors have not charged him with sexual assault.

Reynolds said it was a coincidence his bill was introduced as Avery's case dominated the headlines, though he felt that may help his cause. He said he started looking into the bill after a convicted sex offender murdered and dismembered a 19-year-old woman he lured into his West Allis apartment in 2003.

"When a murderer takes somebody else's life, their life should be taken," he said.

GG)

COMMENTS: Sadly, Mr. Avery would not get the death penalty in WI if this is reinstated under the provisions.....
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG

I'm not convinced there should be the death penalty, as the law is fallible, also justice gets serve to the rich because they can afford high profile lawyers, or the famous sway the jury with their past image. The legal system does not work as it is centred on Capitalism. Those states that have the death penalty, this has not stopped sociopaths from murder.
There is no question that the penal system needs to be reformed, as well as many laws and changes in law enforcement.

What I'm convinced of, is that there are too many rights protecting individuals, the fifth ammendment and the fourth, these need to be revisted and examined, as there present interpretation allows many
people to go unconvicted of their crimes.

What I do believe that is if there is indefutable evidence, such as DNA and forensic evidence to convict a criminal, then perhaps the death penalty is warranted.

Personally, I believe in permanent penalities that do not rob a person of their life, such as for sex offenders, chemical and physical castration. I firmly believe in frontal labotomies for those who commit crimes out of poor impluse control and those who have non-rehabilatative anger management problems which have lead to the death or disfigurement or left the victim disabled. This includes repeated drunk drivers who commit
manslaughter. I too think that the penal system should not afford persons, jobs dealing with the public, such as telemarketing. I do not believe that inmates should have access to computers or any form of communication that is not toally monitored. I think that the penal system should not allow prisoners to be abused by other criminals and the officals of prisons. Drugs need to be cleaned out of the prisons.

Personally I think prisons should be in places that are forbodding, such as in the north, away from society, I believe in work camps, I believe in restitution of the victims family. In a world that I would create, which I cannot, but it would be akin to the Gulag Archepeligo that was set up in the Siberian provinces of Russia. You do the crime you do the time, and that time should not be pleasant, not abusive, but something that would deter criminals from repeating their crimes.

For crimes against innocents, their should be no mercy and in those cases death might be the only answer, such as serial rappist, serial murderers and the like, especially against innocent women, men and children, male or females.
jane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a problem when the death penalty is carried out unevenly.

There are three things I like about the death penalty: It ensures that no one else will be murdered by that particular murderer. It sends a message that the life of the victim is valued and the murderer must pay the ultimate price for taking it. It ensures that the murderer cannot torment the victims' families by sending cruel, taunting letters to them from prison, as Canada's serial-child-murderer, Clifford Olson, has done.
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane you and I both know that Olson should not be alive! He does not deserve to be alive. Personally myself, I believe his wife should have been put in prison as well, rather than being paid 125,000.00 to give testimony. The testimony that she gave proves that she had knowledge of his offenses she did nothing to curtail his serial killings, and likely there are more victims that what we know about and dito for Bernardo. When Canada is finished executing Olson then they can start with Paul Bernardo. These men cannot be rehabilitated. The families have been denied JUSTICE! Karla Homoko should not be walking around free either, I think that she is every bit if not more guilty than Bernardo, it was a match made in hell.
jane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate - I don't like the deal the RCMP made with Olson, either. But, as I remember it, it wasn't quite as bad as the way you stated it. The testimony came from Olson himself, about where some of the children's bodies could be found (not from his wife, to whom the money went).
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Avery Claims Teresa Alive! Reply with quote

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/politics/13277185.htm

Posted on Mon, Nov. 28, 2005

AP NewsBreak: Avery thinks Halbach may be alive

CARRIE ANTLFINGER

Associated Press

MILWAUKEE - Steven Avery says a 25-year-old photographer he is accused of murdering and burning may still be alive and he repeated in an interview with The Associated Press what he has claimed from the start: He is innocent and is being framed.

"She could still be out there where it's all a setup," Avery said by phone from the Calumet County Jail in Chilton, about 80 miles north of Milwaukee.

Any person who would have killed Teresa Halbach "ain't got a right mind," Avery said.

"There is no way I could kill somebody," he said. "That would be too hard."

Avery, who was released in 2003 after spending 18 years in prison for a rape he didn't commit, doubts that bone fragments found in a burn pit near his Manitowoc County trailer are Halbach's. Authorities say her last stop on the day she went missing was Avery's family salvage lot. She was photographing a minivan for sale for Auto Trader Magazine.

"If she is alive I would say, 'Come back home, don't worry about nothin' else,'" the 43-year-old said in the interview Saturday.

But the family believes she is dead and held a funeral Mass for her Nov. 19.

And Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel, who is leading the investigation, said Monday evidence proves she is dead.

Avery faces charges of first-degree intentional homicide, mutilation and possession of a firearm by a felon. He has a preliminary hearing next week.

Avery said he and Halbach met for five minutes the afternoon of Oct. 31. She photographed a maroon minivan, he paid her and she left, he said.

She stopped by about 15 times over the past 1 1/2 years to take photos for Auto Trader, but they never talked much, he said. He described her as polite but didn't find her particularly attractive because he has a fiance, whom he's been with most of the time he's been out of prison.

Avery was convicted of rape in 1985 and got out of prison two years ago after DNA testing proved another man committed the crime.

Ironically, DNA evidence led to Avery's arrest Nov. 9. Among the evidence found:

_His and Halbach's blood in Halbach's sport utility vehicle, which searchers found hidden in the salvage lot.

_Pieces of Halbach's bones and teeth in a burn pit near Avery's trailer. Preliminary tests show the remains are Halbach's but the FBI is doing more testing.

_Blood-like substance around his trailer and in his garage.

_Burned clothing, cell phone fragments and a partially burned shovel in a barrel near Avery's trailer.

_Spent rifle shells in his garage.

Although authorities await tests on the blood-like substance, Avery said he believes it's his blood because he cut his finger.

He has doubts the bones found are Halbach's. He also doubts the blood found in her car is from her murder, saying it's easy to draw blood. He said he picked up the shells from around the lot after his nephews shot rifles.

Avery also said he has never been inside Halbach's SUV.

He made a fire in the pit on Halloween night to burn brush and tires, he said.

Avery said he thinks he is being set up so Manitowoc County doesn't have to pay for the $36 million civil lawsuit he filed against it for wrongful conviction. He points the finger at former Manitowoc County Sheriff Tom Kocourek, who was sheriff in 1985 and in charge of the rape investigation, along with other law enforcement. Kocourek didn't immediately return a message.

"They know what they look for so they know what they can plant and where they can plant it," Avery said.

Pagel denied that.

"If somebody wanted to plant evidence, I don't think they would go to the extreme of trying to dispose of evidence as was done in this particular case," Pagel said.

Avery's 29-year-old niece Carla Avery said family members believe her uncle is innocent. She said they are trying to raise money for his defense and to meet the $500,000 cash bail, but haven't come close.

She said she's not sure if she believes Halbach is still alive.

"I do in a way but it's hard to say," she said. "I don't believe Steven did it."

Avery was no stranger to breaking the law before the rape conviction.

He was convicted of two burglaries in 1981, and in 1982 he pleaded guilty to cruelty to animals after he and another man poured gas and oil on a cat and threw it into a bonfire. The 1982 complaint said it was Avery's idea, but Avery said in the interview he was there but wasn't involved. He said it was someone else's idea, but he took the blame.

He committed the burglaries while he was hanging out with the wrong crowd, Avery said.

He said he had a lot of hate while he was in prison, but it changed when he met his fiance.

"When I left the (prison) doors all that hate was gone, you know, because then I met up with her. ... Everything changed."

He said he isn't sure what his chances are of getting past the charges.

"There's always that chance because I went through it the first time ... that's what's so scary," he said.

Avery said he feels sorry for Halbach's family.

"I hope they can get over this a little bit. I wish all the happiness for them because I do feel sorry for 'em. Who wouldn't? I mostly do," he said.

Avery, who has two public defenders because he can't afford a lawyer, said he's received about 20 letters of support, including one from a Stevens Point man who offered him nearly $25,000 for his defense fund. The Associated Press couldn't find a listing for the man.

Avery's public defenders have told him he shouldn't speak to the media but he said he needs to get his side of the story out. Avery said he doesn't know if he could handle prison again.

"How could I do a life bit for something I didn't do?" Avery said. "Why should I have to suffer?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much more suffering can this lunatic cause this family? I also read /heard an interview on the radio reporting.

Nancy Grace had this on tonight. When the transcripts are available, I will print them.

One defense atty. on the show even commented Avery should keep his mouth shut as he is digging a hole by talking to the AP.

Mr. Avery is quite the nutcase and animal.

God bless her family. I listened to her brother speak on Grace's show, what dignity and faith he and the family have.

Bless their family and Teresa.

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Transcript - Nancy Grace Nov.30-05 Reply with quote

Edit- ON ----Teresa Halbach

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0511/30/ng.01.html

NANCY GRACE

Nancy Grace for November 30, 2005, CNNHN

Aired November 30, 2005 - 20:00:00 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

KEN KRATZ, CALUMET COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY: Because the DNA evidence is found on the key and Mr. Avery`s blood is found inside of Teresa Halbach`s vehicle, it is no longer a question, at least in my mind as the special prosecutor in this case, who is responsible for, in this case, the death of Teresa Halbach.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Tonight, the suspect in the disappearance of 25-year-old photographer Teresa Halbach, Steven Avery, says Halbach is still alive.

I`m going to go straight out to the reporter with the Wisconsin Public Radio, Gil Halstead. Gil, what`s going on out there?

GIL HALSTEAD, WPR: Well, he did -- Steven Avery did an interview with the Associated Press in which he did say that he thought he was being framed and he believed that Teresa Halbach was still alive. And he actually called on her to come home, if she could hear him.

He said a number of things to the reporter, including that he really believed that he`s being framed and that some of the evidence found against him he had explanations for. He said he cut his finger. That`s why blood was found around his trailer and his garage. He says that spent rifle shells that were found in his garage were there because his nephews had been shooting in the area.

He changed his story that he had told investigators before about a fire that -- where the bone fragments of Teresa Halbach were found. He said he didn`t start a fire. Now he says that he actually was burning tires and brush there on Halloween, which is the day that Teresa Halbach disappeared.

GRACE: Keep it coming, Avery! Just keep on talking!

Alan Ripka, don`t you just hate it when your guy opens up heart and soul to the AP, the Associated Press?

RIPKA: Oh, Nancy, there`s nothing worse than that. He creates inconsistent statements. He gives the authorities...

GRACE: You mean -- you mean lies?

RIPKA: Well, you know...

GRACE: I love the way you put that perfume on the pig! Inconsistent statements!

RIPKA: Well, you know, they still have to show that they`re inconsistent statements, Nancy, and that has not been done yet.

GRACE: Well, they can`t both be true. Either he was burning things there at his auto salvage lot on that day that she was there or he wasn`t. And PS, you know that the burnt fragments of teeth and bones were found there.

RIPKA: I do, Nancy. However, you know, something about when he burned an old tire -- you know, he could be mistaken. He could be...

GRACE: An old tire!

RIPKA: Of course. I mean, at the end, come on!

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

MIKE GALANOS, CNN HEADLINE NEWS ANCHOR: Hi, everyone. I`m Mike Galanos at the CNN Center. We want to bring you up to speed on some of the big stories going on right now in the news.

The California Supreme Court will not stop a scheduled execution of convicted killer of Stanley "Tookie" Williams. Williams is the Crips gang founder who became an anti-gang activist while in prison, and he won a Nobel Prize. He`s scheduled to die by lethal injection on December 13th.

A rape case in Canada has ended with a stunning court verdict. The court found a man not guilty of rape because he was sleep-walking at the time of the attack. The court said the man suffers from a condition known as sexsomnia.

And it is that time of year. You`re out buying toys for the kids. But some of them can be dangerous, even deadly. So you want to check your list and look out for the toys you should not buy this year. We`re going to run down the whole list for you. That`s coming up in about 30 minutes on "PRIME NEWS TONIGHT," right after NANCY GRACE. We`ll see you then.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Witnesses place Mr. Avery with the victim, Teresa Halbach, witnesses that we`ve determined have indicated that Mr. Avery was the last person to see Teresa Halbach. At least that we know, the last person to see Teresa alive was that of Steven Avery.

STEVEN AVERY, PERSON OF INTEREST IN MISSING PERSON CASE: I`m innocent. I don`t want to nothing to harm nobody. I can`t figure that out. And you hate me that much to frame me for like that? That ain`t me.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Welcome back. I`m Nancy Grace. Many of you may remember the disappearance of 25-year-old photographer Teresa Halbach, just as beautiful on the outside as on the inside. Joining us right now from Green Bay, Wisconsin, Mike Halbach. This is Teresa`s brother.

Mike, welcome. Thank you for being with us.

MIKE HALBACH, TERESA HALBACH`S SISTER: Thank you for having me.

GRACE: Sir, what do you make of Avery`s comments, the stunning revelations that your sister is still alive, and he begged her to come home so he can get out of jail?

HALBACH: You know, he can say whatever he wants. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it`s God who knows who`s lying and who`s telling the truth. And he`ll have his day before God. And I would just tell him good luck.

GRACE: What do you make of all the evidence that was found at Avery`s auto salvage job?

HALBACH: The evidence definitely seems to be leading towards one person, Mr. Avery. And the remains, from what I understand, we`re almost positive it`s my sister. And his statement about her still being out there, I`m not sure where he`s getting that from, but we`re -- as unfortunate as it is, we`re pretty sure it`s Teresa.

GRACE: Mr. Halbach, when you hear his statements, how does that make you feel?

HALBACH: I mean, obviously, it hurts to know that the person who may have done this to my sister is, you know, probably lying about it. And, you know, it seems as though he`s enjoying every second of it, in my eyes.

GRACE: You know, that`s a really good point I hadn`t thought of quite yet, Mike, because this guy is giving one interview after the next to local TV, the A.P., Associated Press, you name it. What`s that all about?

HALBACH: I don`t know. For all I know, I mean, he can talk all he wants. And I don`t believe it`s going to help him one bit, so...

GRACE: I was just wondering if you are feeling angry, if you are feeling hurt, or sick at heart, or just numb when you hear the things he`s saying, if it just bounces off.

HALBACH: I`ve pretty much felt everything you just mentioned, that -- I guess, you know, he`ll have his day in court here on Earth, and, you know, that will decide what happens to him here on Earth. But after that, I don`t think he`ll be anywhere near my sister in heaven.

GRACE: Mr. Halbach, you have mentioned many times here on Earth, here on Earth. Are you a religious person?

HALBACH: Yes. I mean, I was brought up that way by my family. And it`s what`s really been helping us through this whole time. And you know, watching your show, we can relate to the people you`re talking to.

And I just -- you know, I want them to know that God is with them and with the people who are missing. And whether they`re here on Earth or in heaven, he`s keeping them safe, holding them in his arms, so...

GRACE: With us by phone is Teresa`s brother.

Very quickly to Gil Halstead. For our viewers that are not familiar with this story, explain what happened.

GIL HALSTEAD, REPORTER, WPR PUBLIC RADIO: Well, what happened is that Teresa Halbach went to Steven Avery`s salvage yard, to his trailer, and took a picture of a van there for her job, which was working for "Auto Trader" magazine. And she took a picture of it. Steven Avery admits that he met with her and that she was there for about five minutes. He says she left then, but she was not seen again. Steven Avery`s the last person to have seen her that day.

GRACE: But what`s the kicker to me, Gil, is that her car, her little car, was found...

HALSTEAD: Right, the car was found.

GRACE: ... out behind there with things covering it up, like pieces from other cars and trees limbs, right, Ellie? All that.

Why would that be? And then there`s the issue of the DNA, Gil. Explain.

HALSTEAD: Well, the DNA -- the sheriff, Jerry Pagel, the investigator from Calumet County who is leading the investigation, he says that the DNA tested done at the state lab were conclusive enough for him to prove that these were her remains and that Steven Avery`s DNA was found on her car keys and his blood in her car. So that kind of evidence seems to point that direction.

GRACE: Gil, when you say "remains," what was it exactly?

HALSTEAD: What was found were bone fragments and teeth in a burned pit on the salvage yard grounds. They found all of the bones of a female. They`re doing extra DNA tests now, as you know, at the FBI, mitochondrial tests to try to completely confirm that these are her remains, but the investigators involved have already said that they are, so...

GRACE: Very quickly to Mike Halbach. This is Teresa`s brother. I know this just must be hell for you. Were her older or younger brother?

HALBACH: I was 2 1/2 years younger.

GRACE: So this is your big sister?

HALBACH: Right.

GRACE: It`s hard for me to look at this picture of Teresa Halbach and reconcile that with charred bones and teeth. I almost want to believe that`s not her. But then if it`s not her, then where is she, Mike?

HALBACH: I mean, the family -- no, we believe the investigators and everything they`re doing, and they`re telling us it`s her. We`re just waiting on the tests.

But, you know, I can`t in my mind understand what might have happened to her. You know, I don`t think anyone in their right mind set would do something like that to another human being. It`s just unbelievable, really.

GG)

gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Transcript - Nancy Grace Nov.30-05 Reply with quote

Edit- ON ----Teresa Halbach

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0511/30/ng.01.html

NANCY GRACE

Nancy Grace for November 30, 2005, CNNHN

Aired November 30, 2005 - 20:00:00 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

KEN KRATZ, CALUMET COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY: Because the DNA evidence is found on the key and Mr. Avery`s blood is found inside of Teresa Halbach`s vehicle, it is no longer a question, at least in my mind as the special prosecutor in this case, who is responsible for, in this case, the death of Teresa Halbach.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Tonight, the suspect in the disappearance of 25-year-old photographer Teresa Halbach, Steven Avery, says Halbach is still alive.

I`m going to go straight out to the reporter with the Wisconsin Public Radio, Gil Halstead. Gil, what`s going on out there?

GIL HALSTEAD, WPR: Well, he did -- Steven Avery did an interview with the Associated Press in which he did say that he thought he was being framed and he believed that Teresa Halbach was still alive. And he actually called on her to come home, if she could hear him.

He said a number of things to the reporter, including that he really believed that he`s being framed and that some of the evidence found against him he had explanations for. He said he cut his finger. That`s why blood was found around his trailer and his garage. He says that spent rifle shells that were found in his garage were there because his nephews had been shooting in the area.

He changed his story that he had told investigators before about a fire that -- where the bone fragments of Teresa Halbach were found. He said he didn`t start a fire. Now he says that he actually was burning tires and brush there on Halloween, which is the day that Teresa Halbach disappeared.

GRACE: Keep it coming, Avery! Just keep on talking!

Alan Ripka, don`t you just hate it when your guy opens up heart and soul to the AP, the Associated Press?

RIPKA: Oh, Nancy, there`s nothing worse than that. He creates inconsistent statements. He gives the authorities...

GRACE: You mean -- you mean lies?

RIPKA: Well, you know...

GRACE: I love the way you put that perfume on the pig! Inconsistent statements!

RIPKA: Well, you know, they still have to show that they`re inconsistent statements, Nancy, and that has not been done yet.

GRACE: Well, they can`t both be true. Either he was burning things there at his auto salvage lot on that day that she was there or he wasn`t. And PS, you know that the burnt fragments of teeth and bones were found there.

RIPKA: I do, Nancy. However, you know, something about when he burned an old tire -- you know, he could be mistaken. He could be...

GRACE: An old tire!

RIPKA: Of course. I mean, at the end, come on!

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

MIKE GALANOS, CNN HEADLINE NEWS ANCHOR: Hi, everyone. I`m Mike Galanos at the CNN Center. We want to bring you up to speed on some of the big stories going on right now in the news.

The California Supreme Court will not stop a scheduled execution of convicted killer of Stanley "Tookie" Williams. Williams is the Crips gang founder who became an anti-gang activist while in prison, and he won a Nobel Prize. He`s scheduled to die by lethal injection on December 13th.

A rape case in Canada has ended with a stunning court verdict. The court found a man not guilty of rape because he was sleep-walking at the time of the attack. The court said the man suffers from a condition known as sexsomnia.

And it is that time of year. You`re out buying toys for the kids. But some of them can be dangerous, even deadly. So you want to check your list and look out for the toys you should not buy this year. We`re going to run down the whole list for you. That`s coming up in about 30 minutes on "PRIME NEWS TONIGHT," right after NANCY GRACE. We`ll see you then.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Witnesses place Mr. Avery with the victim, Teresa Halbach, witnesses that we`ve determined have indicated that Mr. Avery was the last person to see Teresa Halbach. At least that we know, the last person to see Teresa alive was that of Steven Avery.

STEVEN AVERY, PERSON OF INTEREST IN MISSING PERSON CASE: I`m innocent. I don`t want to nothing to harm nobody. I can`t figure that out. And you hate me that much to frame me for like that? That ain`t me.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Welcome back. I`m Nancy Grace. Many of you may remember the disappearance of 25-year-old photographer Teresa Halbach, just as beautiful on the outside as on the inside. Joining us right now from Green Bay, Wisconsin, Mike Halbach. This is Teresa`s brother.

Mike, welcome. Thank you for being with us.

MIKE HALBACH, TERESA HALBACH`S SISTER: Thank you for having me.

GRACE: Sir, what do you make of Avery`s comments, the stunning revelations that your sister is still alive, and he begged her to come home so he can get out of jail?

HALBACH: You know, he can say whatever he wants. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it`s God who knows who`s lying and who`s telling the truth. And he`ll have his day before God. And I would just tell him good luck.

GRACE: What do you make of all the evidence that was found at Avery`s auto salvage job?

HALBACH: The evidence definitely seems to be leading towards one person, Mr. Avery. And the remains, from what I understand, we`re almost positive it`s my sister. And his statement about her still being out there, I`m not sure where he`s getting that from, but we`re -- as unfortunate as it is, we`re pretty sure it`s Teresa.

GRACE: Mr. Halbach, when you hear his statements, how does that make you feel?

HALBACH: I mean, obviously, it hurts to know that the person who may have done this to my sister is, you know, probably lying about it. And, you know, it seems as though he`s enjoying every second of it, in my eyes.

GRACE: You know, that`s a really good point I hadn`t thought of quite yet, Mike, because this guy is giving one interview after the next to local TV, the A.P., Associated Press, you name it. What`s that all about?

HALBACH: I don`t know. For all I know, I mean, he can talk all he wants. And I don`t believe it`s going to help him one bit, so...

GRACE: I was just wondering if you are feeling angry, if you are feeling hurt, or sick at heart, or just numb when you hear the things he`s saying, if it just bounces off.

HALBACH: I`ve pretty much felt everything you just mentioned, that -- I guess, you know, he`ll have his day in court here on Earth, and, you know, that will decide what happens to him here on Earth. But after that, I don`t think he`ll be anywhere near my sister in heaven.

GRACE: Mr. Halbach, you have mentioned many times here on Earth, here on Earth. Are you a religious person?

HALBACH: Yes. I mean, I was brought up that way by my family. And it`s what`s really been helping us through this whole time. And you know, watching your show, we can relate to the people you`re talking to.

And I just -- you know, I want them to know that God is with them and with the people who are missing. And whether they`re here on Earth or in heaven, he`s keeping them safe, holding them in his arms, so...

GRACE: With us by phone is Teresa`s brother.

Very quickly to Gil Halstead. For our viewers that are not familiar with this story, explain what happened.

GIL HALSTEAD, REPORTER, WPR PUBLIC RADIO: Well, what happened is that Teresa Halbach went to Steven Avery`s salvage yard, to his trailer, and took a picture of a van there for her job, which was working for "Auto Trader" magazine. And she took a picture of it. Steven Avery admits that he met with her and that she was there for about five minutes. He says she left then, but she was not seen again. Steven Avery`s the last person to have seen her that day.

GRACE: But what`s the kicker to me, Gil, is that her car, her little car, was found...

HALSTEAD: Right, the car was found.

GRACE: ... out behind there with things covering it up, like pieces from other cars and trees limbs, right, Ellie? All that.

Why would that be? And then there`s the issue of the DNA, Gil. Explain.

HALSTEAD: Well, the DNA -- the sheriff, Jerry Pagel, the investigator from Calumet County who is leading the investigation, he says that the DNA tested done at the state lab were conclusive enough for him to prove that these were her remains and that Steven Avery`s DNA was found on her car keys and his blood in her car. So that kind of evidence seems to point that direction.

GRACE: Gil, when you say "remains," what was it exactly?

HALSTEAD: What was found were bone fragments and teeth in a burned pit on the salvage yard grounds. They found all of the bones of a female. They`re doing extra DNA tests now, as you know, at the FBI, mitochondrial tests to try to completely confirm that these are her remains, but the investigators involved have already said that they are, so...

GRACE: Very quickly to Mike Halbach. This is Teresa`s brother. I know this just must be hell for you. Were her older or younger brother?

HALBACH: I was 2 1/2 years younger.

GRACE: So this is your big sister?

HALBACH: Right.

GRACE: It`s hard for me to look at this picture of Teresa Halbach and reconcile that with charred bones and teeth. I almost want to believe that`s not her. But then if it`s not her, then where is she, Mike?

HALBACH: I mean, the family -- no, we believe the investigators and everything they`re doing, and they`re telling us it`s her. We`re just waiting on the tests.

But, you know, I can`t in my mind understand what might have happened to her. You know, I don`t think anyone in their right mind set would do something like that to another human being. It`s just unbelievable, really.

GG)

gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: End of transcript Reply with quote

GRACE: Well, I know one thing. I don`t know that I buy his story. He cut his finger and that is why his blood is on the inside of her car. Whatever happened, if your sister has passed on, she went down fighting, Mike Halbach. I just -- you can tell from the scene.

I want to go to Dr. Warner Spitz, medical examiner. Dr. Spitz, why the additional tests? Why is it that they may not yet be able to determine the identity of these remains?

WARNER SPITZ, MEDICAL EXAMINER: Well, they want to be certain. So they do mitochondrial DNA. Obviously, they did a DNA that is not totally exclusive.

But they have, I understand, her blood and his blood in the vehicle. They have her blood on a key, or his blood on a key, from the ignition. And that same key is found in his trailer. So, I mean, when you put it all together, there`s very little question.

Furthermore, it is rare, even though the body may be charred, that the female organs, like the uterus and ovaries, would also be so entirely burnt that they would not yield some DNA. The uterus is fibrous tissue and almost burns last.

GRACE: You know, Doctor, I recall, from studying the scientific evidence in the Laci Peterson case -- and I had done a lot of homicides before that, but I didn`t realize that the uterus is such a strong organ in the female body. It`s one of the last organs to decompose.

SPITZ: That`s correct. The fibrous tissue decomposes very late. The fibrous tissue also burns very late during the burning process.

GRACE: To Kathy Reichs, forensic anthropologist, I know that the reports are this is a woman`s bones. Explain to us how police can almost immediately, or a medical examiner or anthropologist like yourself, can immediately determine man or woman bones?

DR. KATHY REICHS, FORENSIC ANTHROPOLOGIST: Well, there are differences primarily in the skull and in the pelvis, but it may not be immediate, Nancy. It depends on what you`ve got to work with.

If this was extremely fragmentary -- and my understanding is that it was very fragmentary -- even though there were bits of bones from throughout the skeleton, it could take a bit longer, because you`re not going to have those good, big, anatomical landmarks to look at.

One of the things I was really pleased to read in this case is the forensic anthropologist that was working on it. And this is someone who`s got a lot of experience. Even more importantly, it`s not one of these catch-the-wave, recent people. This is a board-certified anthropologist who knows what she`s doing. So probably provided them with a profile, with the age, the sex, the race, those kinds of features.

GRACE: How do you tell the age, though? I thought at a certain point a human quits growing and actually begins to shrink?

REICHS: Well, that`s true. But throughout adulthood, there are also certain changes that take place in the bones. And even if you`ve just got fragments, you can do histological analysis.

GRACE: What is that?

REICHS: Cellular level. You can make thin sections and look at those under the microscope, because bone is constantly turning over. The bone cells are constantly replacing each other. And by looking at how many you`ve got basically, how many of those little units you`ve got, you can determine adult age fairly precisely.

So what the anthropologist would do would be provide that profile and be able to say, "This is consistent with the profile of the person that is missing, or it`s not consistent." And in this case, I suspect what the anthropologist did is said, "This is, in fact, consistent."

That`s not a positive DNA, but it`s a good first step. You`ll then get your positive normally from dental records or from DNA. And in this case, they`re going to DNA.

GRACE: And very quickly, Dr. Spitz, what can we assume about how Teresa was murdered, if that`s the case, based on what we know about the condition of her remains?

SPITZ: Well, the condition of the remains is not going to tell you very much at this point. But the fact that there is, I understand, pornographic material in his trailer...

GRACE: Yes.

SPITZ: ... the fact that there are handcuffs and leg irons in the trailer...

GRACE: Right, right.

SPITZ: ... which may be used for sexual perversities, as well, when you consider the picture in its entirety, there`s every reason to believe that she may have been strangled.

GRACE: We`ll all be right back regarding the case of amateur photographer Teresa Halbach.

But to tonight`s "Case Alert," with no sign of Zehra Attari in more than three weeks since the 56-year-old doctor went missing, police calling in divers to search the Oakland estuary. Civil rights group demanding the FBI get involved.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

AVERY: They planted the evidence. How else could it be there? I didn`t do nothing. It don`t make no sense.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: No. It really doesn`t make sense, what you`re saying, when your blood is found on her ignition key, hidden in your bedroom, according to police. That`s what they have to say.

To Pat Brown, criminal profiler. What can the FBI tell us about these remains that the local crime lab cannot?

PAT BROWN, CRIMINAL PROFILER: Well, it`s not that they can tell us so much more, but it`s a second check, and that`s what the importance of it is, to find out as much as possible. But I think it`s really funny, with Avery. What he`s really trying to do -- as people who have pathological lying problems, whenever they`re confronted with an issue, they simply tell another lie.

Avery is really developing an interesting story. He`s saying that this woman appeared on his property and, right after he talked to her, some other serial killer jumped onto his property, killed the woman, hid all the evidence around. Oh, no, no, no, well, maybe the police hid all the evidence around.

He`s absolutely got nothing to work with, so he just keeps fabricating something after the other, and he`s probably enjoying a bit of it, because it`s kind of fun for him to get the attention.

GRACE: As we take you to our next story, I just want to tell Teresa`s brother, Mike Halbach, our prayers and our thoughts are with you, sir.

HALBACH: I really appreciate that, and thanks for all your help.

Blessing to the family

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Steve Avery's nephew confesses/charged Reply with quote

I have been watching various and numerous updates on Avery's case. Instead of explaining all of it, I will post an article to share the latest news with others who do not know his nephew has also been charged with helping Avery with this horrific crime. The article is a few weeks old.

Also, note Teresa was scared to see Avery and take photos so he had his sister call and Teresa thought she was going to meet the sister when going out to his junkyard to take photos. In the past, Avery would show up at the door wearing a "TOWEL."

*I will comment that I will never believe that Avery did not commit the first rape he was exonerated for. I'm sure there was an error in the DNA.

His nephew is trying to get off due to coercion but this will not happen. He is 16, and I'm not sure if he will be charged as an adult.

GG)
-----------------------------------------------------------------Article

Avery nephew charged
Criminal complaint unveils grisly details of woman's rape, death
By MEG JONES
mjones@journalsentinel.com
Posted: March 2, 2006
Chilton - The 16-year-old nephew of Steven Avery was charged Thursday with helping his uncle kill and sexually assault a female photographer lured by Avery to the family's auto junkyard on Halloween.

Steven Avery (right) and nephew Brendan Dassey (left) sit with Avery's parents in the family cabin near Crivitz on Nov. 5, before either was charged in Teresa Halbach's killing. Authorities say they had killed her five days earlier on the family's Two Rivers auto salvage property.

Quotable
We believed Brendan knew more than he was telling us.

- Jerry Pagel,
Calumet County sheriff

There is a substantial amount of physical evidence that now makes sense (and) fits a lot of pieces together.

- Ken Kratz,
Calumet County district attorney

Timeline
Oct. 31: Teresa Halbach last seen alive.
Nov. 15: Steven Avery is charged in Teresa Halbach's death.
Feb. 27 and March 1: Investigators interview Avery's nephew Brendan Dassey.
March 2: Dassey charged in Halbach's death.

Avery Background
9/11/03: Steven Avery tastes his first freedom in more than 17 years
10/12/04: Suit filed over wrongful conviction

With graphic new details, authorities released a criminal complaint Thursday that included a reconstruction of Teresa Halbach's final moments shackled to a bed in Avery's trailer. As she lay there, the complaint alleges, the uncle urged his nephew to rape Halbach and then help to end her life.

Brendan R. Dassey, who lives near his uncle at the family's sprawling Two Rivers auto salvage property, was charged with party to first-degree intentional homicide, first-degree sexual assault and mutilating a corpse. He is scheduled to appear this morning in Manitowoc County Circuit Court. Dassey's mother is Avery's sister.

Though Avery was charged in November in the death of Halbach, 25, authorities were unable to piece together exactly what happened to her until they talked to Dassey this week, said Calumet County District Attorney Ken Kratz. Detectives had interviewed Dassey several times in the case, but something Dassey told them Monday prompted them to interview him again on Wednesday.

"We believed Brendan knew more than he was telling us," Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel said at a news conference Thursday afternoon.

In the subsequent interview on Wednesday, Dassey finally confessed to sexually assaulting Halbach and helping to kill her by slitting her throat with a kitchen knife, according to the criminal complaint.

Avery's next court appearance is March 17; Kratz said he planned to file additional charges against him by then, including sexual assault, false imprisonment and kidnapping. Avery was charged earlier with first-degree intentional homicide, mutilating a corpse and felon in possession of a firearm.

Avery's attorney, Dean Strang, did not return a phone message Thursday.

Victim's family advised
After Dassey's arrest Wednesday, Kratz and other officials visited Halbach's family to tell them the new allegations in the case.

"I was heartbroken last night to share with the Halbach family the fate of Teresa," Kratz said Thursday.

Halbach worked for Auto Trader magazine and had previously visited the Avery property to take pictures of cars for sale. Avery has confirmed that Halbach visited his home on the afternoon of Oct. 31 to take a photo of a vehicle he was selling but said he had no knowledge of her disappearance.

Dassey's words and evidence found at the scene show how Halbach was shackled naked to Avery's bed with handcuffs and leg irons, sexually assaulted by both Avery and Dassey and then murdered before her body was burned, authorities said.

According to the criminal complaint:

Dassey, who was born while his uncle was serving a 32-year prison term for a rape he didn't commit, got off the school bus around 3:45 p.m. Oct. 31. He rode his bicycle to the mailbox and discovered a letter for his uncle, so he pedaled to Avery's trailer. As he pulled up, Dassey said he could hear screams for help.

As he knocked on his uncle's door, he could hear a woman screaming, "Help me." He waited several minutes for his uncle to come to the door and noticed Avery was covered in sweat. After letting his nephew into the trailer, Avery asked him in crude language whether Dassey wanted to have sex with Halbach.

As his uncle watched, Dassey assaulted Halbach while she begged him to stop. After, as they watched television while Halbach was still shackled, Avery told his nephew he was proud of him. Dassey said Avery threatened Halbach with a kitchen knife and told her he was going to kill her.

Both Dassey and Avery stabbed her, and then Avery strangled Halbach. Avery told Dassey to cut off some of Halbach's hair. They carried her body to Avery's garage where Avery shot her about 10 times with a .22-caliber rifle. Dassey told investigators he thought Halbach already was dead when his uncle shot her and wasn't sure why Avery shot Halbach.

A fire was already burning in a pit behind Avery's trailer when Dassey showed up to deliver the letter, the teen told detectives. The two put her body on the fire pit and piled tires, brush, a car seat and a wooden cabinet onto the blaze. Then Avery and Dassey tried to conceal Halbach's Toyota by covering it with branches, and Avery removed the license plates before putting the key to her vehicle in his bedroom.

During an extensive search in November, authorities discovered Halbach's vehicle, the key in Avery's room and other evidence, including bone fragments in the burn pit.

Also found in Avery's garage were 11 shell casings from a .22-caliber weapon.

"There is a substantial amount of physical evidence that now makes sense (and) fits a lot of pieces together," said Kratz, who vowed to hold the nephew and uncle accountable for "the rape, torture and murder of Teresa Halbach."

After Dassey's confession, authorities returned to the Avery family property Wednesday night to search for more evidence. The search continued Thursday as officials removed portions of concrete from the garage floor that Dassey said he and his uncle cleaned with gasoline, bleach and paint thinner to remove Halbach's blood.

Pagel said authorities were concentrating on the garage now that they know it was part of the crime scene. Kratz added that although genetic material can be destroyed by bleach, some blood might have seeped into the concrete.

Kratz, Pagel and other Calumet County law enforcement officials are handling the case because at the time of his arrest in November, Avery was suing Manitowoc County for $36 million over his wrongful conviction in a 1985 sexual assault. Avery settled the case last month for $400,000.

As the latest details emerged Thursday about Halbach's slaying, Avery's picture remained displayed on the main Web page for the Wisconsin Innocence Project, months after his life as a free man began to unravel. The project seeks to free people incarcerated for crimes they didn't commit.

Keith Findley, a University of Wisconsin-Madison law professor who helped build the case that led to Avery's freedom, said he understood the emotional reaction to the details of Halbach's death.

"Does it give me misgivings about representing an innocent man? No. He didn't commit that crime," Findley said of the 1985 conviction.

In September 2003, Avery became the first inmate in the state freed through the work of the Wisconsin Innocence Project. He had served 18 years after a jury convicted him of sexually assaulting a woman near Two Rivers. Key evidence that freed Avery was DNA from a hair found on the victim that was matched to another man.

Coincidentally, DNA led to homicide charges that could land Avery in prison again, this time for life if he's convicted of homicide. Authorities said Avery's DNA was found in blood inside Halbach's car and on sweat on the car key.

Of 163 people nationwide who have been wrongly convicted of crimes and then cleared with DNA, only one other, a rapist, was later charged with a serious crime, according to the national Innocence Project. Findley pointed out that even though Avery has been charged in a brutal crime committed less than three years after earning his freedom, the Innocence Project's work is still vital.

"I think it's a mistaken assumption to believe that you can accept the conviction and confinement of people for crimes they didn't commit out of fear that some day, somewhere, they might commit another crime. That's not what our system is based on, and if that's how we operate, then none of us are safe," Findley said.

Tom Held of the Journal Sentinel staff contributed to this report.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=405302

GG)
rd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, goz, I would have to see the preponderance of evidence that convicted him to determine whether a stray hair that wasn't his should have set him free.

DNA of sperm would have been different, although in Teresa's murder had they found sperm it might have been that of his nephew instead of his. For that matter, that probably was why this guy had him over to talk him into that, to be able to blame it on him or have evidence of him found.

Who's to say he didn't do the same thing many years ago and the hair is of another man he talked into also raping the victim? It may have been his MO.

A stray hair didn't convict him, and it shouldn't have set him free.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: