www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olamide Adeyooye disappears from Illinois State University
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Olamide Adeyooye disappears from Illinois State University Reply with quote

Following on the tragedy of Taylor Behl found kidnapped and murdered in Virginia, now Olamide Adeyooye is missing from Illinois State University in central Illinois. I caught this on Fox News last night.

Here are the details from Chicago's NBC5 news. I know better than to think she will be found alive, but one has to hope for her and her loved one's sake.

rd

http://www.nbc5.com/news/5131472/detail.html?z=dp&dpswid=2265994&dppid=65172
(fair use)
Search Continues For Missing Berkley Woman
Student's Personal Items Found Outside Her Apartment
Associated Press
October 20, 2005

NORMAL, Ill. -- Police launched a criminal investigation Wednesday into the disappearance of a 21-year-old Illinois State University student who hasn't been seen since she rented a movie nearly a week ago.

Police said they haven't yet concluded foul play was involved in the disappearance of Olamide Adeyooye, a senior from Berkeley in suburban Chicago. But new evidence and interviews with friends, family and others point to a possible crime, police said.

"The signs lead us to believe there very well could have been a crime committed," said Normal police Lt. Mark Kotte.

Police had considered the disappearance a missing-person case until a search on Wednesday turned up personal items belonging to Adeyooye near her off-campus apartment, Kotte said. He said evidence collected at her apartment and interviews also led police to suspect possible wrongdoing. He declined to elaborate.

Adeyooye was last seen renting a movie about 9 p.m. last Thursday at a store in Normal, according to a Web site about the case posted by the 20,000-student university. Her family reported her missing Saturday after she missed classes and her weekend job as a waitress. Police say her green 1996 Toyota Corolla also is missing.

Kotte said canine and aircraft searches will continue and that the FBI and Illinois State Police will help with the investigation.

Adeyooye was to graduate in December with a degree in criminal laboratory sciences and planned to return to the Chicago area to work at a hospital lab, said Samantha Troha, 21, a longtime friend and spokeswoman for Adeyooye's family.

Troha said she saw Adeyooye when she was home for the weekend nearly two weeks ago, and talked to her on the phone daily the week she disappeared. "There were no signs of any problems. She had the normal college stressful life, no stress out of the ordinary," said Troha, of Hillside.

ISU police Capt. Don Knapp said his department receives occasional missing person reports, but Adeyooye's disappearance is the first case to be elevated to a criminal investigation since two ISU coeds were killed in unrelated incidents in the 1970s.

For more about Adeyooye, visit her MySpace Blog.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from www.pantagraph.com

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/101805/new_20051018034.shtml

Tuesday, October 18, 2005
No sign of missing ISU student

By Sharon K. Wolfe
swolfe@Pantagraph.com

NORMAL -- An Illinois State University student is missing.

While police have searched Olamide Elizabeth Adeyooye's off-campus apartment and asked for public help in finding her, they say they don't suspect foul play.

Her friends and family fear otherwise.

Adeyooye, 21, of Berkley did not show up for her weekend job as a waitress or for classes Friday or Monday. Friends looking for her on Saturday found her personnel effects were still in her apartment and the television was on, but her car was gone.

Normal Police Lt. David Warner said police have not found anything to show foul play is suspected.

But he also said: "We haven't found anything that makes us comfortable to stop looking for her. I think we'll be looking for her for a while."

He said the length of time she has been missing "raises it to another level."

She was last seen about 9 p.m. Thursday at Family Video in Normal, an ISU statement said.

When friends could not find her, her family reported her missing to police Saturday.

Friends who went to her apartment Saturday found it locked. Her TV and lights were on, making it look as if she was going to be gone a short time, said Ashley Petrey, who became friends with Adeyooye at ISU.

"Literally we went everywhere together," Petrey said. "We were inseparable."

Samantha Troha of suburban Chicago has been a very close friend of Adeyooye since fourth grade.

She and a handful of Adeyooye's friends from out of town converged on Normal to help find Adeyooye.

Both Troha and Petrey described their missing friend as someone who would not leave without letting friends know where she was.

Adeyooye is a clinical laboratory science major who wants to work in genetics.

She had no serious problems, loved her boyfriend very much and was planning on a trip over Thanksgiving to North Carolina, her friends said.

Friends have launched a massive missing person search. Their search includes the posting pleas on the Internet, passing out 800 fliers, talking to truck drivers, contacting media and talking to homeless people living in a culvert near her apartment complex.

Evidence technicians, detectives, a uniformed officer and others involved in the investigation remained at the apartment Monday evening. Warner said police began searching the apartment about 9 a.m. Monday.

The scene outside her apartment Monday evening included somber family and friends. With a tear-streaked face, the missing woman's mother prayed in English and a Nigerian language with her hands outstretched in beseeching gestures to the sky.

"The miracle of the living God. Bring her back to me," pleaded Oluwayinka Adeyooye, who sat on concrete steps downstairs as police worked upstairs at 907 W. Market St., Normal. "God, have mercy on my daughter. I don't want it to be real. I want it to be a dream.

"God, lead me to where she is. I don't want to lose hope. She's so loving and caring."

She punctuated her prayer with a plea for her daughter to return: "The world is too wicked--will you please come back?"

The mother last saw her daughter Oct. 9 when she came home to visit.

Next to the mother sat the missing woman's boyfriend, Andy Wildrick of Jacksonville, who remained mostly silent, his head often in his hands. He started making calls after he was not able to reach her.

ISU is providing lodging, food and counseling for the student's parents as well as counseling for anyone else who needs it, said spokesman Jay Groves.

"The university has been awesome," said Petrey of all the support ISU has been. "I've been impressed and grateful."
jane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beauty she is - how horrible that this keeps happening.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And she was such a good friend and person, and soon would be helping other people. What a tragedy, jane.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as this beautiful intelligent and thoughtful human being stood on the precipous to a new life, some low life scum who likely should be killing themselves because they are worthless, chooses to take what is of value and deface it with their evil. Yet they get to go on living another day.

Again, and again we have the police to say that there is no reason to expect foul play, like what the heck do the police need a blood bath a body. I think that people should start suing the police for reckless endangerment. The comment that Law enforcement made that we will be looking for her for awhile, what they should be doing is finding the predator that has murdered her, as her chances of coming home are slim to none, and her faithful Mother will be lucky to bring her angel home to bury.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for the student to rise up and make law enforcement stand up and understand that when someone is missing someone is MISSING? There should be somekind of an amber alert for vechicles, nation wide, when someone goes missing, their registration number of their car should be posted the same way as now done for missing children, re: Amber alert.

Something has to change, perhaps all the students should write congress, senate, the DA, the president, FBI. Perhaps this is Oprah's opportunity to call the nations' attention to how law enforcement has to change when dealing with missing person.

Now hopefully we are wrong regarding Olimide, but it seems very unlikely indeed. God Speed her safety and hope against hope that she may be alive.
propria

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the chicago news reported tonight that a body has been found in a burned out building in mississippi and police think it might be olamide ... there was no explanation as to how her body could have ended up so far away, but the report sounded like there is a very good chance that they have found her. at this point, the police and her family are waiting the results of forensic tests to determine whether the badly burned body is, in fact, this lovely young lady.

nanci
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanci seems like the car must have been near the site, or that she had some ID on her, because I cannot imagine how the police pieced this together so fast. Mississippi is a long way away from where she was living.
rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As best as I can tell, there's no indication it's Olamide other than timiing of finding a body. The car remains missing. We'll see what the dental identification turns up. If it isn't her, then they have found some other woman who hopefully died in an accidental fire rather than somebody trying to cremate her.

rd

from www.signonsandiego.com (fair use)

Search for college student continues as Mississippi officials check body for potential match

By Martha Irvine
ASSOCIATED PRESS
October 25, 2005

NORMAL, Ill. – The search for a missing college student may have reached a critical point, as officials in Mississippi waited Tuesday for medical and dental records to determine whether a body found in a burnt-out chicken house could be that of 21-year-old Olamide Adeyooye.

Elsewhere, investigators continued to interview several "persons of interest" in a case that gained attention through an Internet campaign launched by Adeyooye's friends.

The popular senior at Illinois State University had been studying laboratory sciences and biology, and was due to graduate in December. She was last seen nearly two weeks ago at a video store near her apartment in Normal, a college town in central Illinois.

A native of Nigeria who moved to suburban Chicago when she was 8, Adeyooye had planned to return to the Chicago area to complete her clinical training at a hospital.

Friends call her "Ola" or "Ollie" and have described her as studious, quick with a smile and hardworking – an alternative rock fan who loved to shop and waitressed on weekends to help with her school expenses.

"I am my own hero, i am my own motivation, and let's not forget the people that are closest to me, my friends are those that get me through life," Adeyooye wrote in her online blog – www.myspace.com/olamide1 – which her friends have publicized, hoping the photos posted on it might lead to a break in the case. They're also circulating links to the video for the song "Hello" by local indie band Bottle of Justus, in which Adeyooye makes a brief appearance.

Some have wondered whether Adeyooye's blog, which contains information about her school and where she worked, might have contributed to her disappearance.

"I often speak to students and tell them not to share so much information online. You don't even know who's reading it," Normal Police Lt. Mark Kotte said. But so far, he said, investigators have no indication that the blog is a factor, though they are checking Adeyooye's recent e-mails.

Mississippi authorities notified Normal investigators about an unidentified woman's body Monday in response to a nationwide alert seeking Adeyooye and her car, Kotte said. The car, a green 1996 Toyota Corolla with Illinois license LBG927, remains missing.

The body was found Friday morning near Interstate 20 in the central part of the state, Delores Lewis, a Mississippi Department of Public Safety spokeswoman said in a statement. Firefighters put out a blaze in the chicken house four days earlier, and workers found the body as they were cleaning up the site, the statement said.

Since her disappearance on Oct. 13, Adeyooye's family also has been a constant presence in Normal, helping police search for Adeyooye there.

There have been vigils at Illinois State, at Olamide's former high school in suburban Chicago and at a site near her boarded-up apartment and train tracks, where investigators found personal items belonging to her.

Notes and posters also have sprung up on campus and online. "Hope you're safe 'cause we missed you in class. – Chem. 140, Sec. 6," said one handwritten note from students in her chemistry class.

Samantha Troha, one of her best friends, said that Adeyooye had been worried and crying on the phone about that class in the days before her disappearance. She characterized it as the usual stress of a student, which had prompted Adeyooye to study at the library until midnight the night before she disappeared.

"She's just honestly ... ," said Troha, a 21-year-old computer programmer who grew up with Adeyooye in the Chicago suburb of Berkeley. "You can't help but fall in love with her when you meet her. We kind of complete one another."

At a vigil on campus, fellow senior Clarence Evans remembered Adeyooye as "a sister who walked this campus strong." He says she would be pleased that the gathering of hundreds of students and campus officials brought people from so many different backgrounds together.

"With her friends, there were no deep color lines at all," said Evans, who encouraged people at the vigil to maintain the closeness in her honor.

"This is family. Illinois State – we're family," Evans told the crowd.

"Family," they repeated in unison, as many of them cried and hugged.

Associated Press Writer Jan Dennis contributed to this report.
rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nanci, Greta just reported that it was Olamide found in that burned out chicken house in Mississippi. With the car still missing I have to think the killer drove on in it.

My guess is somebody from that area who was up there on campus, visiting perhaps. I think this is one of those random abductions. We'll see what kind of lowlife did this and whether he should have been allowed to roam around free looking for victims. Probably not.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burned body in Mississippi is that of ISU student

JAN DENNIS

Associated Press

NORMAL, Ill. - A body found in a burned-out chicken house in Mississippi is that of missing Illinois State University senior Olamide Adeyooye, who was last seen two weeks ago at a video store, authorities said Wednesday.

Dental records were used to identify the 21-year-old's badly burned body. Authorities did not release a cause of death.

"As far as the cause of death, we believe she was already deceased when the body was dropped off in Newton County (Mississippi)," Newton County Sheriff Jackie Knight said. "We have investigators from Illinois here with us but we believe the actual death took place in Illinois."

Knight said he was not aware of any signs of sexual abuse.

Normal Police Lt. Mark Kotte said authorities were still investigating how Adeyooye, who was last seen Oct. 13 in the central Illinois city where she went to school, ended up in Mississippi. Her car, a green 1996 Toyota Corolla, still was missing Wednesday.

"Bloomington-Normal is a very safe community and this is an incident that is extremely rare," Kotte said. "It is not an incident of somebody going around preying on college students."

Kotte said some people questioned by investigators will be questioned again, although police said none are suspects.

"We still have a list of persons of interest and that hasn't really changed. We still have quite a few people that we need to talk to, and also people now that we will be re-interviewing," Kotte said.

Adeyooye's father, Adiodun Adeyooye, said he wants to see justice.

"I believe Olamide's spirit will find the culprit. Whoever might have killed her, Olamide's spirit will find him out in Jesus' name," he said.

A native of Nigeria who moved to suburban Chicago when she was 8, Adeyooye was last seen at a video store near her off-campus apartment in Normal.

Her body was found Friday in central Mississippi by the owner of the chicken house who was cleaning up after a blaze there four days earlier.

Illinois investigators suspected the body could be that of Adeyooye because physical descriptions matched and the fire occurred just four days after she disappeared. They also said the burned building is about 60 miles from Interstate 55, which also passes through Normal.

Adeyooye was reported missing when she didn't show up for classes and her weekend job as a waitress. Police launched a criminal investigation into her disappearance last week after evidence and interviews led them to suspect foul play.

Adeyooye, who studied laboratory sciences and biology at ISU, was due to graduate from the 20,000-student college in December and planned to return to Chicago to complete her clinical training at a hospital. She grew up in the Chicago suburb of Berkeley.

"As we mourn her passing and try to make sense of what is sometimes unexplainable, I ask everyone in the university community to keep Olamide's family and friends in their thoughts and prayers," ISU president Al Bowman said. "This terrible tragedy will bring with it many emotions: grief, anger, perhaps a sense of helplessness."

Nearly 40 investigators, including the FBI and Illinois State Police, assisted in the search for her. Her family and friends also searched, posting fliers and sending out messages through Web sites and blogs.

After learning of her death, friend Rick Pateraoa, 23, of Schaumburg, said: "You always hear about stuff like that on the news but it never hits close to home. ... It always happens to great people."

---

/Quote

It seems obvious that there is evidence at her apartment , or where her car was parked, that indicate that she died there as the article states that the police believe that she was already dead before here body was dumped in Mississippi. Given that the chicken coop was 60 miles off the interstate, it seems that the person must have lived in this direction, and that the person must have been familiar with the area, as it seems rather remote that one is driving along and says, there is a barn to dump a body and burn the barn. The perp had to have felt fairly confident that they would not be discovered while in the commission of dumping the body in the barn and then setting it afire. It is stated that there appears to be no indication of sexual abuse, then was this simply a case of car jacking. Did the person follow Olamide from the video store, then hopefully this person is captured on the security camera and will give the police some idea of whom they maybe looking for. What of course comes to mind is a displaced person from the hurricane, that is to say if the killing of Olamide was random. Someone must have needed to escape from the authorities from where they were, or were simply desperate to get back home. One wonders why kill someone for their car, why not bound the person and leave them in their apartment, giving the perp time enough to drive out of state and reduce the chances of getting caught.
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Adeyooye's father, Adiodun Adeyooye, said he wants to see justice.

"I believe Olamide's spirit will find the culprit. Whoever might have killed her, Olamide's spirit will find him out in Jesus' name," he said.

A most horrific crime. Another young woman's life wiped out that was on her way to fulfill her lives dreams. This has become an epidemic in our society and around the world, the waste of precious lives.

It appears by the article that LE has their eye on a few suspects. I have been reading and following this case also.

As her father states and I agree: "I too want to see the killer/killers get justice!" How horrid to dispose of the body this way. Sadness overcomes me again, but at least the identity has been made so the family may move on.

Rest in peace

Gozgals
peripeteia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goz:
I hope that Olamide's Father prayer is heard, these abductions and killings of the innocent is an infatima that has reached pandemic proportions!

To think that in the US (and other nations) all the billions and trillions of dollars that are wasted in wars, trips to outer space and misuse of governments spending, and so little money is spent in protection of individuals, especially the innocent. What must be done, and as Oprah stated, "the people have to rise up and protest, take to the streets". After all these are our tax dollars that governments are spending, we the public should be able to decide the priorities of how taxes are spent, and what is a priority in our lives, one would think that it would be individual safety. It is time that people start screaming from the rafters of their houses.

It seems so often that people are concerned with the protection of their privacy and property rather than the protection of the public. Go Figure!

May Olamide rest in peace, and may somehow her family and friends find peace.
rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They found Olamide's car in Atlanta, and also a convicted felon who had been staying at Illinois State near her and now just happened to have returned to Atlanta. He was a lurker forced to leave her apartment during a party recently, so he killed her.

He spent his time stealing other people's identity and their money, and now he steals Olamide's life. We should all know that a repeatedly convicted felon has to be monitored to keep them from taking a young woman's life.

We should know that by now, but apparently not enough people have lost a daughter or wife or sister to convince lawmakers to force these felons on probation to have their movements recorded.

Not sure how many more women have to die at the hands of these predators before we do, but apparently a lot.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rd: what a horrible story and conclusion. I can't believe the gall of this man, but I can.

You are right - time to start tracking all these guys/gals with monitors.

We can't let this keep happening in our society, or anywhere.

I mean, this is a reason to kill anyone:

RD:

Quote:
He was a lurker forced to leave her apartment during a party recently, so he killed her.

Not that there ever is a reason unless it is self defense but come on! Who the hell is this guy! I mean, leave the damn party. I am outraged to no end again. What is wrong with society these days? Someday says leave a party and a person retaliates by killing a women.

Bless her family and I hope they take care of this guy in prison.

God Bless

GG)
rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't just kill her, Goz, he kidnapped her and ended up cremating her in a chicken house in Mississippi. We're not talking petty vengeance here, we're talking a stalker who was rejected, and he took vengeance as we have seen so often, most recently with the murderer of Taylor Behl.

This guy was a convicted felon, bound to have still been on probation. We just sit around till somebody finds the body. Even sheep have more sense than that.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: