www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing Columbus Woman Did Not Go Willingly
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Missing Columbus Woman Did Not Go Willingly Reply with quote

And they just keep disappearing. This latest tragedy, Julie Popovich, is close to home. I lived in Columbus for twenty years but sold my house in December. Not being there anymore, I learned about this on Fox News.

Others there that night think she didn't go willingly, maybe drugged with a date rape drug so she was disoriented. Now she has disappeared.

The Columbus police spoke on Fox, I believe Greta's show. In contrast to the DC police, they recognize a homicide when they see one. Julie will have a lot more chance at getting her murderer caught than Chandra will.

rd

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

www.justiceforchandra.com home page

from www.10tv.com (fair use)
http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3740845

Police: Missing Woman Did Not Go Willingly
WBNS-TV
Columbus, Ohio
August 22, 2005

Columbus Police are convinced that whatever happened to a missing woman, she did not go willingly.

Twenty-year-old Julie Popovich disappeared August 11th from Ledo’s Bar on North High Street. Her friends said that she left the bar around 1 a.m. Thursday with a man they did not recognize.

Police have ruled out the possibility that Popovich simply took off on her own and want to talk with anyone who saw her that night.

Popovich's family and friends have plastered the neighborhood with hundreds of fliers in hope that someone will come forward.

"The more people that see these posters, the better," said her aunt Dena Honeycutt. "We're going to find her."

Anyone with information can call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 614-645-TIPS.
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: updated Reply with quote

Investigation Into Woman's Disappearance Continues

Police Search for Evidence

Missing Woman's Friend Speaks Out

Reported by Maureen Kocot

Julie Popovich disappeared from a bar near the Ohio State University campus two weeks ago. Now evidence has police eyeing the Hoover Reservoir.

Two weeks after Popovich disappeared divers are in the water at Hoover Reservoir.

The dive team says their presence has nothing to do with the search for Popovich. They say they are there to bring up some safes in the water believed to have been taken during a burglary.

An identification card, known to have been in Popovich's possession the night she disappeared, was found by a fisherman in the rocks near where the dive team is working.

As for the rest of the investigation, detectives are continuing to conduct interviews and are talking to Popovich's friends, trying to figure out if there was anyone who may have seen or heard anything the night Popovich disappeared.

Wednesday, homicide detectives spent the day questioning Julie Popovich's boyfriend regarding the 20-year-old's disappearance.

The police crime scene unit spent hours inside the couple's Reynoldsburg apartment looking for evidence. 10TV has learned forensic tests on Julie's Saturn found no traces blood.

Popovich's friend Justin Webb says, "It's been rough worrying about her safety. We of course all want her to come home. We're just all being optimistic saying, 'Hey, she'll be back,'""

Webb knows the face of the man last seen with Popovich the night she left Ledo's.

"Short black hair, a blue polo shirt, blue jeans and shell necklace. That he was wearing. That I remember distinctly," says Webb.

That's not all he saw.

Webb says, "She was associated with him all night. She was hanging around him. He was talking with her most of the night. There wasn't any struggle going on. She was severely intoxicated when she left. She was hanging on to him because she was falling over at the time. And I watched her walk out the front door."

After that, Popovich disappeared without a trace.

Webb says he wanted to talk to clear the record about some of what's been reported about Popovich's disappearance.

Among the thing he says are not true, is that Popovich got into a car and left the bar.

Popovich's family has hired a private investigator to help in the search.

The owner of Kelly's Professional Investigations in Delaware County says his agency has handed all information over to the Columbus Police.

Brad Kelly says Popovich's parents hired him on Tuesday, August 16th; just four days after Popovich disappeared.

Since then, three investigators have put in 15-hour days and talked to dozens of possible witnesses.

Kelly says investigators need people to keep calling with tips no matter how small.

Crime Stoppers is offering a $50,000 reward for information on Julie's disappearance. The number to call is 645-TIPS.

There will be a prayer vigil held on the Oval at Ohio State University Thursday night.
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: other links Reply with quote

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/4900879/detail.html?rss=col&psp=news

Police Locate Person Of Interest In Missing Woman Case
Popovich Last Seen Aug. 11

UPDATED: 9:40 pm EDT August 26, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Homicide detectives investigating the disappearance of a Reynoldsburg woman said Friday that they have located and spoken with a person of interest in the case.

Julie Popovich was last seen leaving Ledo's Lounge, located at 2608 N. High St., on Aug. 11.

Detectives said they needed to speak with a dark-skinned male in his 20s, who was last seen speaking with Popovich at the bar. According to police, detectives spoke with the man on Thursday and said he was cooperating with the investigation.

Police did not release the man's name.

Popovich, 20, was last seen leaving the Ohio State campus-area bar with an unidentified man. Police said the man had been in Ledo's bar before.

"When you go into a bar or club someplace, it's possible you know somebody's first name, maybe the last name, or you may not know them at all. It took us a while to track him down," said Columbus police Sgt. Brent Mull. "We don't know if the car (description) is accurate. If someone did see her get into a car, we would like to have that information. The folks that have come forward, we keep getting conflicting (information). Everything was changing. We could not pin ... at least two people down that saw the exact same things."

Police confirmed to NBC 4 that Popovich's boyfriend was questioned and has been cooperative in the case. He is not considered a suspect, police said.

Detectives said they are interested in speaking with anyone who saw Popovich in the bar the night of her disappearance.

Friday's developments came after a prayer vigil was held Thursday night on the Ohio State campus for the missing woman. The brief vigil was meant to be an expression of hope, NBC 4's Erin Tate reported.

Her closest friends organized the vigil over the past few days.

"It's a chance for everybody to get together and use each other for a support system," said Tiffani Maynard, a friend of Popovich. "In a time like this, we need each other, and that's certainly what it is. We're celebrating Julie and everything she is to all of us tonight. So, this prayer is just a prayer for her safe return."

Anyone with information about Popovich's whereabouts is asked to contact Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at (614) 645-TIPS. Witnesses can remain anonymous by calling that number, police said, or they may call homicide detectives directly at (614) 645-4730.

There is a $50,000 reward for anyone who has information leading to finding the woman.

Watch NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com for continuing coverage.

Previous Stories:
August 25, 2005: Prayer Vigil Held For Missing Woman
August 25, 2005: Missing Woman's ID Found Near Reservoir
August 24, 2005: Missing Persons Cases Revisited
August 24, 2005: Reward Increased In Popovich Case
August 20, 2005: Police Increase Efforts To Find Popovich
August 19, 2005: Family Of Missing Model Intensify Search
August 17, 2005: Local Model Disappears From Area Bar
Copyright 2005 by nbc4i.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

G)
rd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Kasich had a segment on Julie on his Fox News Homeland show tonight. I missed it, juts saw the tailend. There were a couple of people from Columbus, one that has a Central Ohio Crimestoppers web site they said.

Looks like she was dumped in Hoover Reservoir. Her id was found there. The person of interest has a lot of explaining to do.

Thanks for the news articles, GG. I really like Maureen Kocot as a tv crime reporter in Columbus. She came up with some good info on this disappearance in her article.

Why would the police think there is a safe in the water where Julie's id was found, or are they just lying? Oh excuse me, since they are the government I guess its not called lying but a cover story. I feel so much better now.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: not much coverage yet! Reply with quote

Quote:
rd says:Why would the police think there is a safe in the water where Julie's id was found, or are they just lying? Oh excuse me, since they are the government I guess its not called lying but a cover story. I feel so much better now.

Yea, that makes me feel a whole lot better. Didn't Ger e aldo open safes too, searching for the treasures at one time. Another cover story to save face. I have read a few debates regarding Julie- I feel we must always concentrate on the victim that is missing. The ins-outs of the situation are not important. I think it may be clear who the real suspect is. Too much hinky lies are being told. Follow the lies.....

http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=3790361&nav=LQlCe17z

September 1, 2005
ONN. - Ohio News Now

Family Waits for Word On Missing Woman

Reported by Penny Moore

A family is waiting for word on their missing daughter, 20-year-old Julie Popovich, who vanished three weeks ago.

Detectives told 10TV that there is progress in this case, and Popovich's stepfather says he believes the police are doing everything they can, along with Popovich's family.

A candlelight vigil, flyers by the hundreds; a family has done everything they can think of to draw attention to their missing daughter and still the days go by with no word of Julie.

Tim White, Popovich's stepfather, says, "As the time goes on, we have to look at what the outcomes going to be in our favor or not in our favor, and we naturally look at both sides of the fence."

Popovich was last seen with friends at Ledo's, an off-campus bar. Police aren't sure how she left the bar or whether she was with anyone, but she had lots of things to do in the coming days.

"She had made a lot of plans that weekend, a wedding and a golf outing. I don't think she would just up and vanish because of those commitments she had made," says White.

When a driver's license Popovich was using that night at Ledo's turned up by Hoover Reservoir there was fear, but dogs and search teams found no other clues.

There is a $50,000 reward for information on Popovich, but White is still hoping the call he gets will be from Popovich herself.

"I'm hoping she's going to call me on my cell phone and say, 'Hey, my car is broke down,' because the kind of call I often got," says White.

So how does a family cope with the wait? White says they try to do normal things like go to work, but Popovich is always on their minds.

My thoughts are with Julie's family for speedy justice and the recovery of their daughter.

G)
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Boyfriend Takes Lie Detector (passes) Reply with quote

http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3794325

Popovich's Boyfriend Takes Lie Detector Test

September 2, 2005--WBSN-TV

Detectives have reported progress in the search for Julie Popovich.

Popovich vanished three weeks ago Thursday. She was last seen at a bar near The Ohio State University campus.

Thursday morning, police told 10TV that her boyfriend passed a lie detector test, so he is not a person of interest in the case.

A $50,000 reward for information on Popovich's whereabouts still stands

Comment: (AH)

G)
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Body Found Reply with quote

* Please Note I have not searched yet for any other articles today. I will do so later on. This is the one I do have, and received.

http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3795191

Body Found Near County Line

Featured Video

Reported by Maureen Kocot

A body found was found in northern Franklin County Thursday afternoon, and now police are trying to figure out who it is and how the person died.

The body was found on Smothers Road, about a mile from Hoover Reservoir. County workers who were mowing the grass, found the body in a bean field.

Homicide detectives and FBI officials investigating the disappearance of Julie Popovich were on the scene.

Popovich disappeared from Ledo's, a bar near The Ohio State University, three weeks ago.

Grass had grown up around the body, so Columbus police called in an anthropologist, so as not to disturb any evidence.

Columbus Police Department Sergeant Brent Mull says, "There's a lot of overgrowth in the area. Depending on how long the body has been in the area, we don't want to disturb any of the evidence, including the clothes."

Officials say it could take up to one week to determine the identity of the woman. DNA and dental records will be used.

The body was found just one mile from Hoover Reservoir, where an ID known to have been in Popovich's possession the night she disappeared was found.

Police say they are not speculating on who the victim is and they will not connect the dots too soon.

A search and rescue mission that was planned to look for Popovich has been called off.

--------------------------------------------------------

--Note: This body was found one mile from where the victim's ID was found. I fear it may be Julie.

I have no further comments. This is rather sad if this is Julie. I believe families never have closure.

G)
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: REMAINS REPORTED AS JULIE Reply with quote

rd: I know you are from this area.

It is with tears I print this here. This has been confirmed by dental records. To the family and all who knew Julie, we are sorry for your loss.

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/4930597/detail.html

Police Identify Woman's Remains As Julie Popovich
Remains Found Near Hoover Reservoir

UPDATED: 6:16 pm EDT September 2, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Columbus police detectives told NBC 4 Friday that the human remains found near Hoover Dam belong to a 20-year-old missing Reynoldsburg woman.

Investigators say the remains belong to 20-year-old Julie Popovich, who disappeared after leaving a campus-area bar three weeks ago.

SLIDESHOWS: Julie Popovich | Chopper 4 Images | Images From Vigil

She was last seen leaving Ledo's Lounge on North High Street Aug. 11.

The remains were discovered by a mowing crew along Smothers Road, but were not removed from the scene until Friday afternoon.

Positive dental identification was made Friday evening.

Popovich's family issued a brief statement:

"The family is deeply saddened. We are planning a service for Julie on Friday of next week."

Police said there are no suspects at this time.

Watch NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com for continuing coverage.

Previous Stories:
September 1, 2005: Woman's Remains Found Near Hoover Dam

comments:

A loss of another young woman, her life stolen. To Julie' family/friends:
I feel after reading so much about about Julie over the last couple of weeks, I have come to know her in a small way-

(as many feel about the victims we write/read about).

"In Compassion lies the world's true strength." --Buddha

With regard to the person who committed this crime- I hope him/her is caught/tried/ and given a sentence that is fitting for taking such a young,
hopeful life.

Once again, with my deepest sympathies.

G)
rd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Julie's id was tossed off a bridge by the murderer, possibly was planning on tossing her over as well but couldn't finish it for some reason, probably too much traffic.

Definitely looks like a panicked raper and murderer to me. I think he wanted it to loom like a suicide but was unable to. This guy will probably strike again unless they can find him.

No mention of the "person of interest" they found having passed the lie detector test like the boyfriend. If the person of interest is able to clear himself, that will make it much harder.

What a senseless loss for Julie's loved ones.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Recent News over last days: Suspect Reply with quote

http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=3814565&nav=LQlCeDff

HIT LINK FOR PHOTOS

Columbus
Possible Suspect in Popovich Murder

Adam Saleh

Detectives searched an apartment north of the Ohio State campus Tuesday night

Featured Videos

Possible Suspect in Popovich Murder

Reported by Tino Ramos

Police may have a break in the case of a murdered Ohio State University student, and the man they're looking at is already in custody.

Columbus police are still making their case for a man police sources tell 10TV is a suspect in the disappearance and murder of OSU student Julie Popovich.

The Federal Bureau of Investigations, Columbus homicide detectives and crime scene investigators searched 18-year-old Adam Saleh's North High Street apartment Tuesday night. The flat above a video store is just a stone's throw away from Ledo's Lounge near Hudson Street.

That's the last place Julie Popovich was seen alive. Police sources say Saleh was at that club the night Popovich disappeared.

Investigators refuse to reveal why Saleh is a suspect in the homicide. He is not facing any charges in connection with the death of Popovich.

Whatever police were looking for inside Saleh's apartment, it appeared that they left empty handed.

Wednesday, he appeared in court to face rape charges in an unrelated case that occurred back in May, but detectives believe a charge of murder could come down in the case of Julie Popovich.

Popovich had been missing since August 11th but her body was found in a field near the Hoover Dam in Delaware County.

Saleh's attorney waived his client's appearance in court Wednesday, but he was given a $1 million bond by the judge on the rape charge.

10TV tried to get Adam Saleh's side of the story, but he refused to be interviewed in his jail cell.

LINk 1-

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Man Questioned Reply with quote

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/4945203/detail.html

Man Questioned About Popovich Homicide Identified
Police Would Not Comment On Popovich Case

POSTED: 3:31 pm EDT September 7, 2005
UPDATED: 6:54 pm EDT September 7, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Columbus police requested a high bond for an accused rapist who detectives believe may have information about the slaying of a Reynoldsburg woman.

Adam Saleh

Adam Saleh, 18, waived his appearance at his arraignment Wednesday, but the primary detective investigating the murder of Julie Popovich was in court, NBC 4's Nancy Burton reported.

The skeletal remains of the 20-year-old woman were found in a Blendon Township soybean field last week. Police called her death a homicide.

Watch The Report

Sources told Burton that Saleh is considered a suspect. He has not been charged with Popovich's death or disappearance.

Saleh was in court on charges of an unrelated rape from May. He was arrested for the rape after the victim identified him and there was a DNA match, Burton reported.

Meanwhile, detectives searched Saleh's High Street apartment, but would not comment on the Popovich homicide.

The judge set Saleh's bond at $750,000.

Previous Stories:
September 6, 2005: Police Question Man About Popovich's Homicide
September 5, 2005: Police Identify Woman's Remains As Julie Popovich
September 3, 2005: Body Identified As Missing 20-Year-Old

Comments: At this point in time, It appears Julie was not a victim of her boyfriend. We are praying the right man is in the hands of Law E. as he has been charged with rape before.

What a monster this guy is. I can only wish he has been stopped from his future rapes, etc.

GG)
rd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What great info, goz. As usual, a guy they already knew about, we just let them run loose. Until we start tracking people out on bond and probation these people will just keep killing because they think they'll get away with it.

Track offenders by recording their GPS locations is the only way we'll be able to stop these people. No one is trying to stop them now, and another woman lost her life because of it.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd: Another murder that was preventable, a young woman murder by a man who should already be in prison. Given that his crime was rape surely they had DNA evidence, this is indefutable, so why was he free. Again there is a 750,000 dollar bond, so technically he could go free again. Obviously there is DNA evidence as well in this case, so what part of this remains a mystery as to his guilt.

This is where the laws have to change. What counselling was this guy getting in the meantime, he obvioulsy did not have any restrictions placed on him as he was out late and in a bar. This should have been one of the restrictions and the second one was no alcohol. Did the public know that he was a rape suspect? Not likely as we are innocent until proven guilty. But given the DNA evidence that police had to have known that he was guilty. The laws must change.

There appears to be also the problem of very young men murdering and rapping women. We have the suspect in the Holloway murder who is 19, this dude who is 18. We have the problem of date rape drugs, and the youth in general drinking too much.........

Something has to give...why are we all not screaming for change?????

Last edited by peripeteia on Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
peripeteia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stunningly beautiful woman's life is snuffed out. Parents and schools must take the responsibility of educating their children in the ways of the world........ for example, I taught my only son about sexual predators at the age of three, about sex and AIDS at age 5, the ills of porography by age 11 and drinking drugs and the responsibilities of sex and sexually transmitted diseases at the same age.

I think that this is essential part of our education, we must teaching children in grade Primary about sexually predators, they should also know this before they go to school..... It should be mandatory to teach youth not to drink anything when they are out in a bar unless they see it poured themselves. We must also teach our youth to drink less, binge drinking amongst the youth is astronomical...

The perp in this case is obviously Arab, and likely comes from a repressed sexual background. It will be interesting to find out more information about this guy and what makes him tick, other than what we know is that he is ticking like a bomb....

This is truely tragic, another life wasted because she was too trusting and likely had too much to drink and she should have never left her friends for a guy that she was meeting for the first time, also, she did not introduce this chap to her friends, this is also a no no.......

The perp had to be pretty stupid not to think that he would not be recognized, this seems very strange.... I hope this dude is not out on bail!?
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Update Article - Interview with a Suspect Reply with quote

Once again, another women was murdered and nobody has been brought to justice. Recently- one of the suspects in the case gave an interview to the media, Adam Saleh.

Of course, Adam denies ANY Involvement in her murder!

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/5377530/detail.html

Suspect In Woman's Murder Denies Any Involvement

NBC 4 Interviews Suspect

POSTED: 7:15 pm EST November 21, 2005
UPDATED: 9:06 pm EST November 21, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- New details were released Monday in the investigation into the murder of Julie Popovich.

Adam Saleh

Adam Saleh has been in jail for three months, charged in a rape case. He has not been charged in the Popovich case, but police said he is a suspect.
Saleh told NBC 4's Holly Hollingsworth that the unrelated rape case he is charged in was all a misunderstanding.
"I've always had respect for women -- especially for women. That's like the No. 1 thing," he said.

Watch The Report

Saleh said his home state of Texas was the main thing he and Popovich talked about when they met the night she disappeared.
"She was just asking me about weather in Texas and how long I lived there for, when I moved here and then she asked if I was going to go to Ohio State," he said. "After that, nothing was really said. Absolutely nothing. Like I said, I'm real shy."

Saleh said he didn't meet Popovich at Ledo's Lounge, where she was last seen, but at a friend's house earlier in the night.
"I was at Ledo's that night … I left early. I went to go help my mom and I went straight to bed after that," he said.
Still, investigators said Saleh is the key suspect.

"There are tests that we are having conducted across the country," said Detective Mike McCann, of Columbus police. "It's kind of out of our control when it gets done and how fast it gets done."

****"I think they're starting to realize that it's not me, but … they just don't want to own up to their mistakes," Saleh said.*****

But detectives disagree, Hollingsworth reported.
"In our minds, it's a huge leap from going to a person of interest to a viable suspect. We certainly consider this person to be a viable suspect," McCann said.

Watch NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com for additional information.

Previous Stories:

September 19, 2005: Man Suspected In Popovich's Homicide Appears In Court
September 7, 2005: Man Questioned About Popovich Homicide Identified
September 6, 2005: Police Question Man About Popovich's Homicide
September 5, 2005: Police Identify Woman's Remains As Julie Popovich
September 3, 2005: Body Identified As Missing 20-Year-Old

GG) Thoughts are with Julie's Family
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: