www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The ChildSafe Network. I had a question or two

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: The ChildSafe Network. I had a question or two Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I received an email today, and I started to join this group, that supposedly has lists of sex offenders; but when I got to the end of the enrollment this group has a survey to be taken, which appeared to be just another commercial survey. So I really don't know the intent of this group, whether it is to help people know about where sex offenders might be living in their neighborhood, or whether it is just a commercial survey gimmick. There are so many of the commercial survey gimmicks going now that the amount of email that I receive is tremendous.

Anyway here is the pasted in email that I received. Despite the commercial angle I might join the group anyway.
benn

>>>>>Return-path: <Dawson@alch.golfshore.com>
Received: from 37.golfshore.com (unverified [72.11.144.37]) by mail2.hostik.net
(Vircom SMTPRS 5.1.202) with ESMTP id <B0202911472@mail2.hostik.net> for <benf5@lanset.com>;
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:09:30 -0700
From: Protect Your Children-AH<Dawson@alch.golfshore.com>
To: benf5@lanset.com
Subject: Does a registered sex offender live near you?
Date: 15 Jul 2005 18:07:25 -0400
Message-Id: <18622231@hwjnaoZ-xajbM>

The ChildSafe Network is the nation's very first search engine of registered sex offenders.

http://alch.golfshore.com/CTGV11180_3/1503/odquhvG/ehqi8/u.htm

Membership in the ChildSafe Network entitles members to instant access to an enormously powerful web-based application which enables them to access the most current database of registered sex offenders from the 48 states that participate in online sex offender registration.

ChildSafe Network empowers parents and concerned individuals by providing them with immediate access to this highly important information via the internet.

Find our who is in your neighborhood, stay safe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you wish to cease recieving information via email concerning ChildSafeNetwork please go to http://alch.golfshore.com/ATGV11180_4/1503/odquhvG/ehqi8/u.htm

ChildSafe Network
2 Wisconsin Circle
Suite 700
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you prefer not to receive e-promo's from us in the future,
please visit: http://alch.golfshore.com/UTGV11180/1503/odquhvG/ehqi8/u.htm

Your receipt of our e-mails is subject to our Privacy Policy.
http://alch.golfshore.com

If you would like to write us regarding any questions:
E a s t e r n M a r k e t p l a c e
1 0 1 2 0 S . E a s t e r n A v e S u i t e 2 0 0
H e n d e r s o n , N V 8 9 0 5 2
7 0 2 - 5 6 5 - 6 3 9 0
benn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some information that I found comparing the ChildSafe Network above to another group the National Alert Registry. that locates sex offenders. I will let the information speak for itself. The cost free plan does not seem to help me at all in searching for anyone. I am going to join the $10 plan to see what it actually does.

Here is the information that I found about the two plans.

benn

>>>>>http://www.nsor.net/pro-services.htm

National Sex Offender Registry

Stopping sex offence before it starts!

How many sex offenders live in your neighborhood?

Does a Sexual Predator live in your neighborhood?
Professional Services Guide

If you are looking for a fast and low cost solution to accessing the National Sex Offender Registry, we have found a couple of online services for you to choose from. Two services are compared below, but before moving ahead, let's look at some reasons why you may or may not want to use a professional service.
Reasons to Consider Using a Professional Service

* Too many sex offenders nearby to keep track of on your own
* You don't have the time to devote to the necessary research
* You don't know how to access the registry online
* You want results immediately
* You are worried about making mistakes
* You want to keep up-to-date records easily

Reasons to Not Use a Professional Service

* Few sex offenders in your neighborhood
* Mainly available online only
* They can cost money

We compare two companies below, National Alert Registry, and ChildSafe Network. ChildSafe Network boasts the internet's first free sex offender search engine. National Alert Registry is not a free service, but they offer more extensive services to offset the cost of $10. Services include a more user friendly search system, maps, and email warnings that alert you when a sex offenders moves into your neighborhood.

Professional Service Comparison

Pro Service National Alert Registry ChildSafe Network
Price $10 Free!
Search Result Time Instant Instant
Scope of Search User Address, Offender Name Offender Address, Name, City
Maps Yes No
Offender Photos Yes Yes
Offense Details Yes Yes
Email Warnings Yes No
Company Comparison

Although the above table would seem to lean toward ChildSafe Network in terms of cost, we feel that National Alert Registry is actually the better service. The largest reason for this conclusion is the scope of the search. National Alert registry performs a search around your address, finding all sex offenders within a radius that you specify. ChildSafe Network performs searches for sex offender addresses only. This means that with ChildSafe, you would actually have to perform a separate sex offenders search for each street near your home. National Alert Registry's digital maps and "Red Alert" email warnings are the icing on the cake that really makes their service worth the $10.
Our Recommendation

If cost is a big concern for you, we definitely recommend ChildSafe Network over a lower quality state run website. However, if you are looking for a high quality service with more pizzazz, we would strongly recommend trying National Alert Registry. To learn more about the services that National Alert Registry and ChildSafe Network offer, please visit their company websites.

National Sex Offender Registry - Stopping sex offence before it starts.
This page was last updated on Sunday, June 05, 2005 by the Administrator.
All content and HTML copyright © www.nsor.net, all rights reserved<<<<<<<
benn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I joined the National Alert Registry and did a search for my area, only a limited area. I will comment just a little.

The initial search was free and took about 5 seconds.

To get detailed information I had to join, for $10, and I received more detailed information, including a map showing where some previous sex offenders are now living.

I also signed up for their $4.50 a month plan which will give me monthly updates on my area. I thought I would try that and see how many changes there are each month, for a few months at least.

I have some thoughts on this, but I do not want to get into any legal arguments, or somehow break the law either. I will not post any of the information that I received from the National Alert Registry search engine on this message board. I do have a comment or two to make on the National Alert Registry report that I do think are relevent but that do not invade anyone's privacy.

The National Alert Registry search engine only covers a limited amount of territory for an individual user, or member. Also, my account can not be used by multiple users. That seems to say a lot. If I should try to let anyone else use my account with National Alert Registry my account would be automatically terminated.

I guess there are a lot of things about Megan's Law, or any other laws involved, that we don't really know everything about. At least I don't. This seems to be a start anyway.

benn
blondie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benn - I think, but not sure, that with a little searching that you can find most any state online for free and not be limited to only your area. I'd be leary of any site that charges a monthly fee. AND you don't know what may appear in your e-mail in box as a result or what phone calls you may
get since you are required to put your phone # in. BE CAREFUL!!!!
rd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with blondie. There's a bill that has been submitted in Congress that would create a national list but only to make it one place to search. The information is available on the web under different state jurisdictions.

I haven't searched any myself but I remember Jayne searched on the Columbus area and was shocked at what lurked in various neighborhoods near hers. I don't believe anybody should be charging for this information, but of course someone will, especially when they can prey on parents' fears. This should be being done by our government, and that bill has been submitted from what I read the other day.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd and blondie. You are right about commercial sites, but the one that I signed up on did come up with some names in about five seconds with a map, etc. I looked at the California site, but I am not certain what you have to do there. If I read correctly you put in the name and address of someone to see if they are an offender.

If I am confused probably a lot of other people are confused also. Actually the way the system is set up, or appears to be set up, it does not do the job. The report I received was only for a small area. I guess if someone is concerned about someone a longer distance away that they can contact the proper authorities (in California) who can look for offenders in other areas farther away from the person making the request.

It looks like a system that really isn't doing much yet, except for police departments.

benn
laskipper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Benn and all,

Good advise from Blondie- be careful.

I also agree with rd that the info should be easily available. With very little effort, you can find links such as the one below that will, most likely, be the same links that you would have to pay for on the board that you mention.

http://www.publicrecordfinder.com/states/california2.html

Go to the above link, scroll down to the 2nd portion for the info you want.

ls
benn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning, skipper. That is a good url that you posted. The problem I guess is that we don't have a list of all of these urls all together. The pay for site that I joined though is about different information than the url that you posted, skipper, or at least the Sacramento District info. The one I posted was just for registered sex offenders living within about a .5 mile distance from where I live. You can find the number of sex offenders in your area listed on that site without paying anything, but there is no more information, just the number. When I paid I got detailed descriptions and addresses and a map showing the locations, but only for a .5 mile radius.

Here is interesting information that I found on the Sacramento site that was one of the sites included in skipper's site. I made a series of posts about this case right here on the Chandra board when the case was being reported because it resembled the Chandra Levy case in that the body was moved. We become a little heartless perhaps, dead people become just statistics.

>>>>Missing Person / Homicide
January 2002
The Sacramento County Sheriff's Department began a search for Sacramento attorney Laurence William McNabney, after a call from an employee of his law firm. The employee became concerned and suspicious of his unusually long absence from work. Detectives learned that McNabney was last seen on September 10th at a horse show in the Los Angeles area. Detectives considered McNabney, a missing person at risk. Detectives tried to contact his wife, Elisa McNabney, without success. The missing person case was featured in the Sacramento media, which included the description of Elisa McNabney and the car she is believed to be driving. The media release generated several tips to Crime alert, reporting the possible location of Elisa McNabney. On February 5, 2002, McNabney's body was found buried in a shallow grave in San Joaquin County. The homicide investigation was assumed by the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Department, however tips continue to be received by Crime Alert.<<<<

You remember this one, rd.

benn
benn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a search for Chandra Levy on the Modesto Police Department site, and there were no hits, "No matches found."

I think I will write to the Modesto Police site and complain. Chandra was from that area, some of the witnesses involved were from that area, or relatives of people in that area, and the Modesto Site does not even mention Chandra.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benn, the Mapquest and Google type map sites have a programming interface to give one or more addresses and get a map. That is what is going on with that site, I'm pretty sure. I would think the zip code would be enough to see if it's in the area, and if one doesn't recognize the street address then it can't be too close.

Yes, I sure do remember the case of the missing lawyer, missing the same year Chandra was missing, and I refer to that disappeared lawyer in Murder on a Horse Trail. His body was moved months later by his wife about the same time as Chandra may have been moved to Rock Creek Park.

That the lawyer was a Sacramento lawyer where Condit spent so many years is maybe not so much of a coincidence. Something must be in the water in Sacramento besides gold.

rd
blondie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was his name?
benn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His name is in my message above, blondie, but we are supposed to be on the new topic now I guess that rd opened up.

>>>>>Missing Person / Homicide
January 2002
The Sacramento County Sheriff's Department began a search for Sacramento attorney Laurence William McNabney<<<<

You can do a search for him blondie right here on this board and find a lot of information on the case.

benn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: