www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Chandra Levy tipline soon? Maybe a month?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benn

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: A Chandra Levy tipline soon? Maybe a month? Reply with quote

http://www.justiceforchandra.com/forums/posting.php?mode=
newtopic&f=29&sid=89cf10112ae1aeea301021fd8a9e868c

washingtonpost.com
Levy Family Still Hoping For Answers

By Petula Dvorak and Allan Lengel
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, May 1, 2005; A07

Susan Levy is about to get back some of her daughter's belongings from police, small tokens from the young woman's life. But what she really wants are answers to a puzzle that police have yet to solve: Who killed Chandra Levy?

"In my case, every time there is someone missing, or a murder, I remember. I relive the trauma. It doesn't go away," she said during a telephone interview from her home in Modesto, Calif.

Four years ago today, federal intern Chandra Levy visited several Web sites, including those for Rock Creek Park, Baskin Robbins ice cream and Amtrak. Dressed in workout clothes, she then left her Northwest Washington apartment for the last time.

The 24-year-old's skeletal remains were found in Rock Creek Park by a man searching for turtles on May 22, 2002. Her leggings were knotted at the bottom of both ends, pointing to a possible sexual assault.

The mystery attracted international attention amid revelations that Levy was having an affair with her hometown congressman, Gary A. Condit (D-Calif.), who authorities say is not a suspect. Condit, who later lost a bid for reelection, has said he knows nothing about Levy's disappearance or death. He divides his time between California and Arizona, where he owns several ice cream parlors.

There have been few public signs of activity by FBI and police investigators assigned to the Levy case. It is classified as a "cold case" by D.C. police, but authorities said their investigation is ongoing. They are continuing to look at sexual offenders and other possible suspects, according to law enforcement sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case.

Condit's former bodyguard, Vince Flammini, who was interviewed by FBI investigators in the past year, said: "They showed me a picture of a guy I'd never seen before and asked me if I've ever seen this guy around Gary [Condit]. I couldn't help them. I didn't know the guy."

Steve Mandell, an attorney representing the Levy family, said relatives are planning to launch a Web site in about a month to create a depository for new tips in the case.

Mandell met recently with an FBI agent and an assistant U.S. attorney to discuss the case and retrieve some of Levy's possessions that had sentimental value to the family but were no longer needed in the investigation. He plans to return them to the family when he meets with the Levys this month.

"The case continues to be pursued," Mandell said. "I do feel that we're going to keep at it until it is resolved."

Condit and his wife, Carolyn, have settled three libel lawsuits filed against news organizations that they claimed defamed them while pursuing the story. The settlements came from suits against the National Enquirer and other supermarket tabloids and Vanity Fair columnist Dominick Dunne. The terms have not been disclosed.

Condit's attorney, L. Lin Wood, said the settlements provided Condit with "some sense of vindication." Wood said the former congressman will be cleared for good in the public's eye once the killer is captured.

An arrest is what Susan Levy hopes for every day. "I will never give up hope," she said.

Staff researcher Bobbye Pratt contributed to this report.
© 2005 The Washington Post Company
laskipper

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Benn and all,

Hey, you are the first May poster!

This news of comes as a surprise. That the Levy family is planning a tip link. Maybe they thought that the Dunne case would bring out some info but when it failed to do so, they decided to go another route? I wish them luck. Someone has the info that they need, but will they come forward?

ls
jane

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find, Benn!

It is classified as a "cold case" by D.C. police, but authorities said their investigation is ongoing.

Well, I complained before about how the authorities claim it's a cold case when it's to their advantage to so, and otherwise when it's to their advantage. Here, apparently they're claiming both simultaneously. Oh for some straightforward honesty from them!
benn

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ls and everyone else. That May posting was a fluke. Actually my clock said 1:0x AM, but the time on the message came out at 12:00 AM.

The timing is about right on the Levy decision. That is a mark against the investigation to date, when victims have to put up their own money to help catch the criminals.

I think it is about time now for some of us here to be contacting the Levy attorney, Steve Mandell. I don't think that I have ever tried to write to him. What this investigation needs now is a confrontation. The Levys, or someone, are going to have to get a lawyer into court with a paper showing a complaint, or a request for information, or whatever other maneuvers lawyers use when they want some action from the court, or from law enforcement, or from somewhere.

>> Someone has the info that they need, but will they come forward?<<

I think we have a lot of info right here, but will anyone here come forward? :)

Chandra was found in May, maybe they will catch the bum(s) in May.

benn.
rd

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...where he owns several ice cream parlors. "

That would read quite a bit differently if it said Baskin Robbins ice cream parlors following the mention of it in the list of web sites Chandra last visited.

Wash Post is referring to a Condit spokesperson quote (I think lawyer Wood) from the past concerning the owning of "several" ice cream parlors, but as far as I know they just own the one Baskin Robbins in the Phoenix area.

I think it is another deception to imply large financial settlements to Condit which I don't believe took place.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Steve Mandell, an attorney representing the Levy family, said relatives are planning to launch a Web site in about a month to create a depository for new tips in the case. "

If anyone spots the website, we'll link to it from the jfc homepage. Good luck to them.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent an email to the Mayor of Washington D.C. The only way a person can contact their CrimeSolvers program is on the phone, but that would probably be an exercise in futility, so I sent the Mayor an email because he does have a way to contact him via email.

benn
fallout

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD!

Why don't you contact this lawyer Mandell about helping them to set up their website. Your the expert! On computers and on Chandra. What better combination could there be?

James
fallout

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Corrected in followup post.. This was not the same guy...James}

Hi guys,

I've just sent an e-mail to an attorney named Stephan A. Mandell in Roseville, Ca. I've asked him to confirm that he's the Mandell who is assisting the Levy family with the website. If he is I've given him our website address info and offered to help and mentioned RD's book and great work in maintaining this website.

I'm hoping to hear that this is the right fellow.. The person to whom I sent the e-mail is:

Stephan A. Mandell Esq.
Law Offices of Martin F. Jennings
217 Jefferson Street
Roseville, Ca 95678
steve724@surewest.net

James

Last edited by fallout on Tue May 03, 2005 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
benn

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello James,

I sent emails to two of Dunne's attorneys. Both of them responded to me. Of couse they did not say anything, but they were courteous.

I don't know who the real Stephen Mendall is, the Levy attorney.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, if Mandell doesn't know about this site and the book then he needs a lot more help than I can give him. :)

But thanks anyway. Mandell is a Washington area lawyer. You guys are going to make me have to go do a search now. I thought someone else would have done it by now. <sigh> :)

rd
rd

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modbee.com
Levy case haunts Condit
September 5, 2004
By MICHAEL DOYLE
BEE WASHINGTON BUREAU

Condit’s attorneys could not be reached this week to comment. Levy’s family, through Washington attorney Steve Mandell, declined to comment.

rd
fallout

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RD,

Here is the guy...

Steve A. Mandell
Partner
Firm Profile: Pepper Hamilton LLP
Hamilton Square, 600 Fourteenth Street, N.W.
Washington, District of Columbia 20005-2004

Telephone: 202-220-1200

Telecopy: 202-220-1665

Web Site: http://www.pepperlaw.com

Steve A. Mandell (Partner) born Philadelphia, PA, 1947; admitted to bar, 1977, Texas; 1984, Virginia; 2004, District of Columbia. Education: Drexel University (B.S., 1970); Temple University (M.B.A., 1972); Southern Methodist University (J.D., 1977). Practice Areas: Corporate Law; Securities.

peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

202.220.1201 mandells@pepperlaw.com

the above is the direct phone number and email address for
Steven Mandell
rd

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Good info for our readers.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: