www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

modesto bee 1-15-05
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blondie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: modesto bee 1-15-05 Reply with quote

New article in Modesto Bee

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/9773956p-10637174c.html
blondie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what ALI stands for? It's not registered in Stanislaus County. Maybe another county or Arizona? Anyone have any ideas?
rd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Michael Doyle is back on the trail with this analysis. Thanks blondie. I'll post, highlight, and let's see what insights there are.

rd

from www.modbee.com (fair use)

Author details disdain for Condit
In deposition, Dunne says lawmaker was 'furtive' in handling Levy disappearance

By MICHAEL DOYLE
BEE WASHINGTON BUREAU
Last Updated: January 15, 2005

WASHINGTON — Author Dominick Dunne had never heard of Gary Condit until Chandra Levy disappeared.

But it didn't take long for Dunne to scorn the San Joaquin Valley lawmaker who had won election to Congress seven times.

"I've had a low opinion of Gary Condit almost from the beginning of the disappearance of Chandra Levy," Dunne told Condit's attorney in a sometimes contentious deposition.

Asked to elaborate, Dunne cited the way Condit looked. Although the two men had never met, the New York-based author had repeatedly seen tape clips of the veteran congressman during cable television's ongoing coverage of the Levy mystery.

"I found him furtive in appearance," Dunne explained, according to a transcript of his deposition obtained by The Bee. "I objected to the way he arrived at work, the house, carrying a coat over his shoulder, smiling for the cameras, when a girl, a young woman, whom he knew very well was missing."

How Dunne communicated his low opinion on national television and radio programs is now the focus of a high-profile defamation lawsuit filed by Condit. The former congressman from Ceres seeks $11 million from the man he says ruined his reputation and undermined his ability to find work.

"When you're tainted by someone who calls you a murderer, and (claims) you had something to do with a kidnapping, people are apprehensive about taking you on board because there are political consequences to them," Condit said in his own deposition, taken last September.

Condit, noting that it is a "pretty brutal thing" to be accused of heinous crimes, complained that the stress aggravated his existing neck pain. He said he received five separate death threats.

Condit is now out of public office and splits his time between Arizona and California, having lost his bid for re-election in 2002.

Family business venture

He explained during his deposition that he joined with his son, Chad, and daughter, Cadee, in starting a company called ALI, although it hasn't yet caught on.

"I'm trying to do real estate development and purchase franchises from certain companies, which I have not been successful at yet, but hopefully I will be," Condit testified, citing ice cream companies as one example.

But with no outside income in either 2003 or 2004, Condit said, he was living on his savings.

Condit's 30-year political career ended in the wake of Levy's disappearance. Levy, raised in Modesto, was last seen in Washington on April 30, 2001. She had just completed an internship with the federal Bureau of Prisons.

Her skeletal remains were found in Washington's Rock Creek Park in May 2002, with the intervening year packed with often sensational coverage of the case. Condit was often at the center of the coverage, and he has not denied published reports he told investigators he was sexually involved with Levy.

Police say he is not a suspect in the case, and Levy's murder remains unsolved.

Although Condit filed multiple libel lawsuits over Levy coverage, all others have been settled or dropped. None advanced as far as the discovery now taking place in the lawsuit against Dunne, in which both men have been pressed on sometimes embarrassing points.

Responding to questions from Condit's attorney, L. Lin Wood, Dunne said he had concluded that Condit was a "pervert" who had engaged in a "loose life." In a personal letter to his Vanity Fair editor, who paid for his trip to England to investigate the matter, Dunne further characterized Condit as being "in pig heaven with all the fresh young (women)" in Washington.

Shaky source acknowledged

Dunne acknowledged, though, having been "hoodwinked" by the man he once described as a "horse whisperer," who had allegedly spread stories of Middle Eastern embassy sex rings.

Dunne said he relied on other sources including a People magazine reporter and a private investigator who he believed incorrectly to be working for the FBI. Repeatedly, he was asked whether he possessed any factual information to support speculation that Condit had participated in Middle Eastern embassy parties.

"I did not," Dunne conceded.

Condit, for his part, denied having a "romantic" relationship with Levy.

"When you say you were friends, did it ever become more than just friendship?" Dunne's attorney, Paul LiCalsi, asked Condit.

"No," Condit replied.

Asked to explain further, Condit said he probably spoke with Levy once a week on the telephone, or possibly more.

"It wasn't a romantic relationship," Condit said, elaborating that by romantic he meant a relationship of "unusual affection."

Several depositions already have been held in New York City's Essex House hotel, with Condit's daughter accompanying him. Spanning some 300 pages, the transcript of Condit's deposition shows the 56-year-old former lawmaker occasionally flashing both anger and good humor.

"Your daughter is Cadee and she's sitting here in the room?" LiCalsi asked at one point.

"Yes, she's pretty, isn't she?" Condit replied.

"She's lovely," LiCalsi agreed.

But at other times, Condit excoriated Dunne for his public statements, criticized newspapers including The Bee, denounced individual reporters by name, and dismissed some of the lawmakers he once served with, like Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein.

"Senator Feinstein fancies herself as lecturing everyone in the delegation," Condit said when asked about critical comments made by the senator. "She may take it upon herself to be the person who thinks she should tell people what to do."

Guided by his attorney, Condit also declined to answer a series of specific questions about whether he was sexually involved with Levy.

Second round of questions

On a judge's order, Condit must submit to a follow-up deposition within several weeks, where the intimate questions again will be asked.

Condit noted during his deposition that he had been subpoenaed and sworn in before a federal grand jury in Washington investigating matters the Levy case.

LiCalsi presented Condit with a copy of the subpoena that made reference to the topic under grand jury investigation as being "tampering with a witness." Condit, however, declined to comment on the specifics, or even whether he actually testified before the grand jury.

Bee Washington Bureau reporter Michael Doyle can be reached at 202-383-0006, or mdoyle@mcclatchydc.com.
benn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blondie, I can not find anything about ALI, and maybe no one else can either, including the Condit's potential clients.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He hasn't purchased any franchises for his company ALI yet, so he hasn't obtained a cash settlement from anyone of any size, I didn't believe he had, and that confirms it.

He sees Dunne as his last chance to eke out revenge against those who dared take on a powerful congressman when the Washington police wouldn't. I am more glad than ever that I forewent the possibility of making money with my book and published it myself as soon as the judge allowed Condit's case to go forward. It is a summary of everything we have said here that will help justify what Dunne told viewers, rightfully so given the circumstances.

The real question is why is Condit not a suspect when anyone who wasn't a powerful politician would be? His claim of reputation ruined rests on refusing to answer questions in a political city that doesn't seem to really want to know the answers.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Condit is not listed as a suspect by law enforcement because of all of the legaleze involved in today's criminal system. That does not mean that some law enforcement agencies might not be tracking him.

I read something yesterday but did not copy it down about the percentage of murder cases in Washington D.C. each year that are solved and the number of cases in other cities that are solved. 90% seemed to be a figure given for most cities, but Washington D.C. was way below that. Maybe I can find those figures again, or some similar.

benn
propria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> Your daughter is Cadee and she's sitting here in the room?" LiCalsi asked at one point.

"Yes, she's pretty, isn't she?" Condit replied. <<<

from some fathers, that would be a sweet, touching comment to make ... from scary gary, relating to his daughter in terms of her attractive appearance takes on a smarmy, mildly obscene overtone. from someone with his reputation, it would have been a lot more appropriate to comment on how loyal she is to him, maybe how courageous she is to appear with him in such a contentious setting, but it does his effort to be seen as squeeky clean serious damage to relate to any young woman, particularly his own daughter, in terms of her good looks.

nanci
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what doe sit say to have his daughter sitting by his side as he is questioned in a depsosition? One can say loyalty on Cadee's aprt, but how many men would take their daughter to a questioning of their involvement in the murder of a young woman about the same age as their daughter?

rd
fallout

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"from someone with his reputation, it would have been a lot more appropriate to comment on how loyal she is to him, maybe how courageous she is to appear with him in such a contentious setting"

Exactly! That is weird isn't it?

If you remember where I earn my bucks you might know that the Essex House mentioned in the article is one block up Central Park West. Daggone it! He was right here in my 'hood! and I didn't even know it. I recommend that they continue their depositions there so's one of us can malinger outside for a glimpse. Hello!

The Defense is dancing around the question. Gary gets to answer that it was not a significant relationship and it wasn't Love and it wasn't important. But he never gets asked the direct question. "Did you have sex with the girl?" I didn't think Lawyers were so delicate.

I may not have stated directly here before that I don't think Condit Did It. Something about the past four years has made me think that its something else. But he's not helping me believe. If he ever wants to clear his sorry self he better start talking now. This is his last chance. It's time to get on his case I guess.

James
propria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw, i don't think that condit personally killed chandra, and i never did think that ... but i do firmly believe that he is the person responsible for her being killed, and i strongly suspect that it was his brother who actually did the dirty deed that scary gary wanted done.

nanci
fallout

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanci,

If Darryl did it do you think there's anything to the old story from the carnival worker from New Jersey/Pennsylvania Eric Storm who said he helped? I never discounted that story even though the part of Rock Creek Park he took the police to didn't turn out to be the exact place. As far as I know Storm is still in a mental institution in New Jersey. Darryl might have been involved with this bunch.

I say this with the equal belief in the possibility that Bush/Rove/Cheney might have had a reason to need a diversion in May of 2001 for their evil intentions in the Fall.

And where is my other suspect Sven Jones? Why are we the only ones interested in this the most interesting mystery of the new Century?

James

Last edited by fallout on Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
benn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many different ways to look at an event that is occuring, or that has already occurred. For example, in the Chandra Levy case what makes Chandra any different from any of the other women that Condit dated? Oh well, maybe he did not date them, maybe he just talked to them when he happened to pass one by on the street. But that does not seem to work. Wrong viewpoint.

I guess Condit never had sex with any of the women he dated. Some of them evidently have said that he did. They must be liars. But those other women are still here and can be talked to--by someone. Chandra is not still here. Condit must be in a real unreal world. Plaintiffs in a civil case probably take a lot of instruction from their attorneys, so Condit must be getting some instruction from Lin Wood as to what to say, how to act, whom to be seen with. Why doesn't Condit bring Carolyn to the depositions?

Carolyn seems to becoming perhaps an accomplice to whatever Condit has done, or has not done. By not speaking out herself Carolyn seems to become an accomplice. Who does Carolyn think killed Chandra? Why can't we ask Carolyn what she thinks?

Oh well, we know now. None of those women really dated Condit. They are all liars.

Maybe we don't need a psychic to help us find out what happened to Chandra Levy, maybe we need a psychiatrist, or maybe just a psychologist.

Condit is thinking something. What is he thinking? A psychologist might tell us.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, they did ask specifically about sexual relations, and Wood directed Condit not to answer. LiCalsi was not shy about getting to the point. I have to laugh a little about the deposition being down the street while you were roaming the courthouse corridors looking for it. :)

I don't know if one or both of Gary and Darryl Condit were involved in Chandra's disappearance, but I know that both of them have no alibi for that afternoon and that both are stone cold silent about it. As far as I am concerned, both should be investigated as suspects until one or both are cleared, and neither were seriously investigated.

The case is cold now, as one would expect when the Washington police put it on ice from day one.

rd
fallout

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rita Cosby just had Mike Doyle on her Big Story show and I guess Dunne's lawyers did ask Condit the sex question directly. Condit refused to answer. The judge Peter Leisure has ordered Condit to answer the question in the next deposition.

Doyle mentioned that he had read "all 600 pages" of the deposition so its a matter of public record.

Any ideas on how to get a copy of this deposition?

James
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benn was looking for it too, James. He's been checking legaldocs I think it is where we have an account nut need to renew the next time they have a document to download. benn hasn't found it there yet. That's a place to look, another is SmokingGun I think.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: