www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Condit Denies Levy Romance
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryland missing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Condit Denies Levy Romance Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2151-2005Jan11.html
blondie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also an article in www.modbee.com Better than the Post because it is more complete.

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/9753613p-10619231c.html
benn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks blondie for the info.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who leaked Condit's testimony to the Today Show, and why? There was allegedly still the possibility that the parties were to be able to agree to keep the testimony private, according to the judge's ruling.

So far I think most of these answers can be considered in the realm of it depends what the definition of is is. Friendship, romantic relationships, and on and on are things that Condit can lie about and just say it depends on how you define such things.

We know that Condit was never in Chandra's apartment while she was alive. He just didn't operate that way. I suppose the question was oriented toward whether he was there after she disappeared.

rd

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

www.justiceforchandra.com home page

from www.modbee.com (fair use)

Condit: Levy only a friend
Some queries blocked, to surface in 2nd deposition
By MICHAEL DOYLE
BEE WASHINGTON BUREAU
Last Updated: January 12, 2005

WASHINGTON — Former Rep. Gary Condit has testified that he never had a "romantic" relationship with Chandra Levy, a newly public deposition shows.

But he still faces more detailed questions about what kind of relationship he had with Levy, a 24-year-old Modesto woman who disappeared in the spring of 2001 in Washington.

Tuesday, NBC's "Today" show aired excerpts of a deposition that Condit gave in connection with his $11 million defamation lawsuit against author Dominick Dunne, who commented on Condit and Levy after her disappearance.

The videotaped deposition was leaked to the "Today" show, which is scheduled to air a second round of excerpts today.

In Tuesday's segment, which stopped short of the most intimate details, Condit said Levy never indicated that she loved him.

He further testified that his spirits dropped during the media frenzy that followed Levy's disappearance.

"I had some emotional trauma during that, but I was so busy campaigning that I took very little time out to deal with that," Condit said in the deposition. "So I dealt with that more seriously after the campaign."

His campaigning ended in March 2002 with his defeat in the Democratic pri-mary, as the Ceres politician sought an eighth full term representing the 18th District in Congress. About two months later, Levy's skeletal remains were found in Rock Creek Park in the nation's capital.

The coroner declared Levy was a homicide victim. No arrests have been made, and police never have identified any suspects. But did not stop reporters from hounding Condit for months.

Dunne appeared frequently on CNN's "Larry King Live" and other programs, floating scenarios such as one in which procurers for Middle Eastern embassies spirited away Levy.

In the deposition obtained by "Today," Condit stated: "I have a guy that's on Court TV, who writes books, who has legitimacy, credibility, telling people on TV that Gary Condit had Middle Eastern people organized to do away with that woman.

"How absurd, how lame. But it hurt. And it hurt me badly. It shut me down."

Condit testified that his relationship with Levy remained "just friendship." He said he never visited her apartment and met with her only six or seven times at his Capitol Hill office, and once at a restaurant.

"I was having dinner at a place near my house," Condit explained, according to a transcript of the deposition on the "Today" show's Web site. "She called me. I said, 'I'm having dinner.' She wanted to talk, and I said I'll be down at this particular place. And I was there. She showed up."

In the deposition, Condit explained that he gave Levy advice about joining the FBI or CIA.

Condit's attorney, L. Lin Wood, blocked questions that sought to delve more deeply into Condit's sex life.

U.S. District Judge Peter Leisure, in New York City, noted that Condit declined to answer questions, and listed some of them:

"Did you have a sexual relationship with Ms. Levy?"

"Was your relationship what people would consider an affair?"

"Was there any physical intimacy of any kind in your relationship?"

"Did Ms. Levy ever spend the night in your apartment?"

Leisure has ordered Condit to answer such questions in a second deposition expected to take place within several weeks.

"It is important to realize that while Condit continues to deny that he had a 'romantic relationship' with Ms. Levy, he refused to answer any further questions about their relationship," Dunne's attorney, Paul LiCalsi, said Tuesday.

"He refused to answer whether he had had an affair with Chandra Levy and whether he had had a sexual relationship with her."

LiCalsi added that with the upcoming follow-up deposition, "Condit cannot continue to stonewall on the exact nature and circumstances surrounding this relationship and how that relationship may have figured into (Levy's) disappearance."

Wood, Condit's attorney, could not be reached for comment.

Condit, 56, maintains that Dunne, by raising unfounded allegations and implications, hurt Condit's reputation and ability to make a living.

Dunne, too, already has been subjected to a taped deposition.

Although it has not been made public — yet — attorneys for Condit and Dunne previously have charged the other side with trying the case through the media.

"This could be fodder nightly on the news for tabloid television shows," LiCalsi told Leisure during oral arguments last year, according to a transcript.

Wood replied at the time that "this case started on television," and that "Dominick Dunne made (the) decision to put this case into the television area."

Wood dismissed notions that there would be much lasting public interest even in Condit's deposition.

"With all due respect even to my well-known client," Wood said, "Gary Condit is not Bill Clinton, and Dominick Dunne is not Bill Clinton."

Leisure ultimately ruled that the Dunne deposition could be made public.

Bee Washington Bureau reporter Michael Doyle can be reached at 202-383-0006 or mdoyle@mcclatchydc.com.
rd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a great Washington Post article from Allan Lengel. Linda Zamsky Katz finally is quoted again. Glad to see this. It helps quite a bit, in my opinion.

rd

from www.washingtonpost.com (fair use)

Condit Denies Levy Romance
'We Were Friends,' Ex-Lawmaker Says of Intern Slain in '01

By Allan Lengel
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, January 12, 2005; Page A06

Former representative Gary A. Condit denied in a court deposition having had a "romantic relationship" with slain intern Chandra Levy, a statement that was challenged yesterday by Levy's family.

Condit's denial came during a pretrial deposition he gave in September as part of an $11 million defamation lawsuit he filed against author Dominick Dunne, who has suggested that Condit was involved in Levy's death.

A tape of the deposition was aired yesterday on NBC's "Today" show, triggering renewed public interest in the 2001 unsolved homicide.

Under questioning by Dunne's attorney, Paul V. LiCalsi, Condit was asked to describe his relationship with Levy, 24.

"We were friends," Condit said on the videotape played on NBC.

"Did your relationship ever become a romantic relationship?"

"No," he said.

"When you say you were friends, did it ever become more than just friendship?"

"No."

"Did she ever indicate she loved you?"

"No," Condit replied.

L. Lin Wood, Condit's attorney, then successfully objected to questions concerning any sexual activity.

Yesterday, Wood said his client was merely characterizing the relationship with Levy. He said sexual activity -- if there was any -- was irrelevant to the lawsuit and that Condit would not comment on such matters unless ordered to by the court.

"Gary Condit answered every question posed to him . . . except for questions that were destined to expose areas regarding his sexual history with Chandra Levy or others," Wood said. "This lawsuit is not about sex. This is about accusations of murder."

LiCalsi yesterday accused Condit of playing word games. He said Condit refused to answer questions about whether he and Levy had had an affair.

A federal judge in New York, where the defamation suit was filed in 2002, has ordered Condit in a follow-up deposition next month to answer any questions about his sexual life deemed relevant to the lawsuit.

The former Democratic congressman from Levy's home district in Northern California came under intense scrutiny after her disappearance in May 2001 amid revelations that the two were having an affair. Police have said that he is not a suspect.

Levy's skeletal remains were found in May 2002 in Rock Creek Park in Northwest Washington, about four miles from her Dupont Circle apartment.

Shortly after her disappearance, Condit publicly described his relationship with Levy as a "friendship." But privately, he told investigators that he had an affair with Levy, law enforcement sources familiar with the case reiterated yesterday.

Reached by telephone at her home in Modesto, Calif., Susan Levy, Chandra's mother, would not comment on the deposition. But Condit's testimony drew a sharp rebuke from Chandra Levy's aunt. Linda Katz, formerly Linda Zamsky, has said that Levy told her about a love affair with Condit.

"I don't know what he's hiding. . . . I only know he lied," Katz said.

Condit's statements in the deposition went beyond what he said in two interviews in 2001 and 2002. Both times, he declined to say whether he and Levy had an affair.

"I have not been a perfect man. I have made mistakes in my life," he told Connie Chung on ABC-TV. "But out of respect for my family, out of a specific request by the Levy family, it is best that I not get into the details of the relationship."

When CNN talk show host Larry King asked if he had a relationship with Levy, Condit replied, "You know, we're not going to go into that."

Staff writer Sari Horwitz and researcher Bobbye Pratt contributed to this report.
jane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But privately, he told investigators that he had an affair with Levy, law enforcement sources familiar with the case reiterated yesterday.

Good to know someone is still talking!

About Condit's comments "I have not been a perfect man" versus his insistence that his relationship with Chandra was completely altruistic - that would just about make him a perfect man (if true, which, of course, it isn't!)
propria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> A tape of the deposition was aired yesterday on NBC's "Today" show, triggering renewed public interest in the 2001 unsolved homicide. <<<

and

>>> But privately, he told investigators that he had an affair with Levy, law enforcement sources familiar with the case reiterated yesterday. <<<

>>> Good to know someone is still talking! <<<

that it is, that it sure is ... in fact, i consider it to be an answer to a lot of prayers by a lot of people that those two quotes have made it into the public eye. that's why i'm now praying that much harder that the wheels of justice will just keep right on grinding, no matter how slowly they have to move, until we really do get to see her murderer held accountable for his crime. it sure is a good thing that Jesus loves me unconditionally, 'cause i get seriously pushy with him about some stuff, including this case.

nanci
benn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I sent an email to Michael Doyle tonight. I am glad that I did that before I read all of the messages here, that way I had a separate opinion, but about the same as all of the opinions here.

I wonder if Dunne's attorneys could get all of the women whom Condit dated, and who came forward voluntarily to be interviewed by the FBI, to give discovery testimoney for the trial. What is the penalty for perjury in a civil case?

benn
jane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the penalty is for perjury in a civil case, but when the perjury is on the part of the plaintiff it seems that the case should be jolly well thrown out, doesn't it? That would seem to be the appropriate penalty.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dunne's attorneys could come up with a witness or two - maybe Anne Marie Smith and Jolene McKay and one or two others - no way they'd get the whole roster. Do you think the judge would allow such witnesses to testify?
peripeteia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to hear also from Sven Jones, as he knew of the affair. The only problem with Condit's testimony is that he said he did not have an affair with Anne Marie Smith. It seems that Condit does not tell the truth, this we all knew, as Chandra found out, as Anne Marie Smith knows and especially his wife that he is a liar plain and simple. Condit cannot be believed, and it is time for a lie detector test, and not a designer one that Condit is paying for, but one from the authorities. It is time that the grand jury reconvenied and that Condit answer the questions.......it is perhaps time that Susan Levy step up to the plate and advise what Chandra told her about their relationship. And bravo for Linda, she is not about to let Gary Condit away with lying......
englishleigh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Hi all Reply with quote

peripeteia wrote:
Time to hear also from Sven Jones, as he knew of the affair. The only problem with Condit's testimony is that he said he did not have an affair with Anne Marie Smith. It seems that Condit does not tell the truth, this we all knew, as Chandra found out, as Anne Marie Smith knows and especially his wife that he is a liar plain and simple. Condit cannot be believed, and it is time for a lie detector test, and not a designer one that Condit is paying for, but one from the authorities. It is time that the grand jury reconvenied and that Condit answer the questions.......it is perhaps time that Susan Levy step up to the plate and advise what Chandra told her about their relationship. And bravo for Linda, she is not about to let Gary Condit away with lying......

I agree totally with everything here. ALL of these people need to be subpoenaed, if they haven't already. If Condit wants a fight, let's let him have one...he should be made to finally TELL THE TRUTH. He should have been made to tell the truth 3 1/2 years ago, but of course he was protected by his job. Well, he doesn't have that job anymore and he is fair game. Dunne, with the help of Mark Fuhrman, helped to finally put Michael Skakel away for the murder of Martha Moxley, and he may just very well finally, have something to do with getting justice for Chandra Levy.

I'm so glad that this is finally all being hashed out. It's also nice to be back here, posting. RD, thank you for your tireless devotion to getting justice for Chandra!!
jane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone - nice to see you again, Leigh.

Just wanted to reply to Kate's comment that Condit's wife knows he's a liar. I'm sure she does, deep down, but that lady is in such denial it's hard to fathom. She's still under his spell, and when his women are there, they just literally can't see what should be very plain and clear.
rd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see you again, Leigh. It's a real hurdle to move the perception from media frenzy to uninvestigated murder, but the more most people know about it, the more they agree.

Getting Peterson convicted on a similar circumstantial case was a big step forward. There are those who think that if you're sneaky and evil enough to strangle your wife or girlfriend and hide her body without leaving a bloody trail or answering any questions, you should get away with murder.

rd
MrRich

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there are those like me who think you shouldn't be indicted let alone convicted if there's no evidence. In Peterson's case the body was found in the area where Scott Peterson placed himself the day the victim disapppeared. No such evidence with Condit.

-Rich
rd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneaky and evil and intimate = no evidence.

Intimates should be investigated and cleared when their lover disappears. Those who refuse to take a lie detector test from the police know they will be caught lying.

Cooperating and passing a police interrogation is part of being cleared. Having an alibi is part of being cleared. Telling the truth is part of being cleared. Condit has done none of these.

The case should be wide open with a full scale investigation of all the questions I raise in Murder on a Horse Trail until all the answers are publically stated by the police. Then it should be clear whether being a cold case is justified or not.

Until then, the case is not cold, it's just too hot.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: