www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maura Murray - Missing Haverhill NH 2/9/04
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: comments. links to follow Reply with quote

Rd-- I too saw this episode on NG as I was awaiting the SueAnn Coverage but I assume it was not shown due to the recent case in MASS.

Your thoughts reflect some of my own on the Murray case. I'm still sitting and pondering some theories now that I have read more on the case, heard the Grace show, and am putting some facts together. I agree with much of what you have written and won't reiterate. I was stymied on facts and I have tried to go to various sites to look further but it appears there are a few different stories going around which proves to make facts harder to separate from fiction.

I too think the witnesses did a great job like you stated. Many just stand by and offer no help. I have, and you have read, or seen where people just act numb when crimes, or other situations arise. These men came forward and are now being singled out and having fingers pointed at them.
Is it warranted or not?

I too have theories but will wait. I was questioning why Maura left West Point as I found that to be strange too, and confusing, but found the answer. Also, the accidents and some information have me confused but I have found the information.

I have posted the transcripts and the answer to Mr. Murray's attempt to get his information.

(See Below.)

My hope is whatever Maura's situation is she is found and her family has peace.

Have a nice weekend all.

GOZ
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Transcripts - NG 1/27 Reply with quote

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0601/27/ng.01.html

NANCY GRACE

Aired January 27, 2006 - 20:00:00 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

---Note: M.Murray Portion (EDIT)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE (voice-over): Fred Murray wants to look at 2,500 documents, documents containing e-mails Maura sent the day of her disappearance, to information on what police found in her car the night of her accident two years ago, details Murray believes could solve this mystery.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Tell me what did you, tell me what you didn`t do, and I`ll try to go back and see what you didn`t do and take a fresh look at it and start it all over. It gives us -- it gives me my best hope. It gives me my only hope.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE (voice-over): Murray`s attorney claims the family has a right to the files under the state right-to-know law.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Her family knows her better than any other party. A second set of eyes looking at information that is clearly nonexempt may ultimately lead to locating her.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: After two years of hoping and praying, a father goes on the offense in the legal system. Two years ago, a beautiful young nursing student went missing after a minor car crash. She ran into a tree. Well, police got there just minutes after the crash and she is gone, never seen since.

Straight out to Gary Lindsley. He is a reporter with "The Caledonian Record."

Gary, are you with me? I know we`ve got problems with your IFB. Can you hear me?

GARY LINDSLEY, REPORTER, "CALEDONIAN RECORD": Yes, I can, Nancy.

GRACE: Great. Give me the facts, Gary.

LINDSLEY: Well, as it turns out, February 9th, somewhere around 7:00 or 7:30 p.m., Maura was headed on Route 112 in Haverhill, New Hampshire, and she had the minor car accident.

A bus driver came upon the scene, talked to her, asked her if she needed help. She said, no, she`d already called AAA. He went back to the house and called police.

Between the time he went back to the house and called police, a matter of seven to nine minutes, she was gone. No one`s ever seen her since.

GRACE: Was there a record of her calling AAA?

LINDSLEY: No, there wasn`t. She had not made a call.

GRACE: So she didn`t call AAA?

LINDSLEY: Right. That was a very -- it`s a very, very rural area. And cell coverage is very hard in some of those areas.

GRACE: Very rural area...

(CROSSTALK)

GRACE: ... so you said "isolated route." How many people? I mean, this is not a very busy road. How many people would have been going along that road to snatch her?

LINDSLEY: Not too many, because once you get up past the crash scene, there are seasonal residences between the crash scene and Woodstock, New Hampshire.

GRACE: To Diane Dimond, investigative reporter, what else can you tell us to supplement Gary`s report?

DIMOND: Well, it was two years ago, right before Valentine`s Day actually -- and this young woman, who was a nursing student, she`d also been a cadet at West Point, a girl with her head on straight, you would think -- e-mailed her professors and said, "I`m going to be gone for a week because there`s been a death in the family."

Well, there had been no death in her family. She left the University at Amherst in Massachusetts. And instead of going home, she headed north up to Vermont and New Hampshire. And that`s where this accident occurred.

It struck me, Nancy, and everything that I`ve researched about this case, she has this accident. Within 10 minutes, the police are there. She`s gone. And there`s snow all around her car, but there`s no footsteps. It`s like a "Twilight Zone" alien abduction thing. I mean, where did she go?

She had diamond jewelry in the car that her boyfriend had given her, a bottle of liquor, some clothes, a book, you know, just the normal things, like she was just going to go home. But she went the opposite way.

To me, it`s just heart-wrenching to see that father asking for these documents from the court. I want to look at the police report, he said, so my private detectives can take over. And they won`t let him do it. A judge has now said, no, we will not turn those documents over to you. It could compromise the investigation.

GRACE: To Barbara McDougal and Patti Davidson -- they are joining us tonight. They are cousins of Maura Murray. Ladies, thank you for being with us.

Barbara, what did -- yes, thanks, Liz -- Barbara, what did you guys hope to gain from these documents you were in court fighting for?

BARBARA MCDOUGAL, MAURA MURRAY`S COUSIN: Well, we were hoping that there might be information in them that the police would overlook as meaning nothing but the family it may mean something to us, to have a different avenue to go down in searching for Maura.

GRACE: Right. Yes, it`s been two long years.

To Patti, Patti, what do you believe law enforcement has missed in this investigation? Obviously something.

PATTI DAVIDSON, MAURA MURRAY`S COUSIN: I believe they waited too long to get a search team together. They waited 39 hours, and it should have been done immediately after they went to the scene and found her not there.

GRACE: Now, I know that you have joined together with the Molly Bish Foundation. We had Molly`s parents on for a full hour around Christmas. Their daughter taken and killed.

Joining us now, Tom Shamshack, P.I. on the Murray search. He`s also working with the Molly Bish Foundation. What`s your take on this, Tom?

TOM SHAMSHACK, PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR IN MAURA`S CASE: Good evening, Nancy. John and Maggie send their love.

GRACE: Thank you. Thank you.

SHAMSHACK: All right. The investigative team, consisting of a dozen retired law enforcement investigators, is doing three things. We`re looking to do investigative research on what has been written in the public domain. We`re conducting interviews of percipient witnesses. And we`re conducting a scene investigation, looking at the crash dynamics, and then again looking in the area, what possibly could have happened here.

GRACE: Renee, what else do you know about it?

ROCKWELL: To me, Nancy?

GRACE: Yes.

ROCKWELL: From what I can say, Nancy, is here is another situation where a family has had to hire a private detective. Why? Resources. In 2004, there were over 46,000 people missing in the U.S., 99 in New Hampshire. It`s just a situation where I don`t know why the police department would have hid that or prevented them from getting those documents.

GRACE: Well, let`s look at the facts. No footsteps in the snow to indicate where she had gone. The police got there 10 minutes later, no sign of her. She had said there was a death in the family, told her professor she was leaving, no death in the family, and she went a different way. This was a minor crash; she went right into a tree.

Tonight, 603-271-2663, help us find Maura Murray. The reward up to $40,000 tonight.

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Murray Denied Access to Records Reply with quote

http://www.theunionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Dad+denied+access+to+records+on+daughter&articleId=
aa79b4ba-1064-48d3-83ec-4d23727040df

Dad denied access to records on Maura Murray
By LORNA COLQUHOUN
Union Leader Correspondent
Friday, Jan. 27, 2006

Haverhill – A superior court judge has denied a request by the father of a missing Massachusetts woman seeking the disclosure of records pertaining to the investigation into her disappearance.

Grafton County Judge Timothy Vaughn issued a five page decision yesterday, a little more than a week after Frederick Murray sought an injunction for the release of papers relating to the disappearance nearly two years ago of his daughter, Maura.

Murray’s attorney, Timothy Ervin of Chelmsford, Mass., said yesterday he would not comment on the decision until he conferred with his client.

Maura Murray, 21, a nursing student at the University of Massachusetts/Amherst, disappeared after a minor car accident Feb. 9, 2004, on rural Route 112 in Swiftwater. By the time police arrived at the scene, the woman was gone and has not been seen or heard from since that night.

In the nearly two years since his daughter went missing, Frederick Murray has sought, and been denied, various logs, accident reports and other information from a number of state agencies, including State Police and the Attorney General’s Office.

Last month, he filed for an expedited hearing on his request for an injunction that would order the agencies to disclose the information and that hearing was held Jan. 18. Ervin argued that the information is not exempt from New Hampshire’s right-to-know law.The state argued that releasing the information would impede the ongoing investigation.

Vaughn sided with the state.

“(The state) maintain(s) that release of the records could result in the destruction of evidence, chilling and intimidation of witnesses and the revelation of the scope and nature of the investigation,” Vaughn wrote.

Murray has been critical of how the investigation into his daughter’s disappearance has been conducted. He contends that the information gathered over the past two years could help his own efforts in finding his daughter. A group of private investigators is looking into the case.

“Considering that it sometimes takes several years — even decades — for the state to prosecute major crimes, a lapse of two years is not a long period of time,” Vaughn wrote. “Release of the records could jeopardize the investigation and lead to, among other things, destruction of evidence, intimidation of witnesses and loss of communications with entities providing confidential information.”

Preserving the integrity of the continuing investigation, Vaughn concluded, outweighs Murray’s interest in obtaining records.

GG)
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd:

Your summary is rather incomplete, you leave out all the information surrounding the accident, perhaps you've not read all the information available. For example, the construction worker did not go to the police, the police came to him, as he was talking with others that he had seen Maura 5 miles, down the 112 East highway, which is complete darkness, wilderness, and on a very cold night, and she was allegedly jogging up a very high elevation. She allegedly was ducking from tree to tree and heading down a dirt road. This information did not reach police until nearly three months later. Maura was shivering and ill dress for the cold.
The construction worker, would have returned before 830, he lives literally next door to the accident, and the police, the school bus driver and the tow truck were still there. No one reports the construction worker coming home, where did he go, what is his alibi. The construction worker was questioned twice shortly after the accident, he did not recall seeing a lone girl, knowing a girl was missing in the area, where he has likely never see a girl alone before, nor likely ever will.

Maura takes alcohol and school books, leaves behind her night bag, and expensive diamond jewelery.

The windsheild is cracked. Maura had been in the car nearly 2 1/2 hours or more. She did not take her gloves. She is alleged to have been staggering. She is alleged to have been intoxicated.

Another witness describes Maura getting out of her car, the school bus driver implies that she remains in her car. The school bus driver says that Maura has her lights off, Faith Westman states she had them on.
The School Bus driver says he went into the house, on the porch and back to his bus. Faith Westman states that he went to the school bus and stayed there. There is a noticeable absence of foot tracks, the dogs loose her scent at the end of the School Bus driver's driveway. He is in the bus most of the time, yet he alleges not to have seen Maura after he left the scene of the accident. We are talking only several minutes here, about 9 in total.

The construction worker lives across the street from the School Bus Driver, who was at the scene of the accident. The School Bus Driver describes shinning a flashlight into the front of Maura's car, and only seeing above her lips because of the deployed airbag. This is not possible, as he arrived on the scene five minutes after the accident and the airbag was deployed, these bags deflate as they are being deployed.
He could have only seen this if he witnesses the accident or he hit her car with his bus, this is not speculation, this is science.

These men are friends, which the school bus driver denied. They are the last people to see Maura alive. They refused to have their properties searched. rd. If these are good samaritans, these are not the same samaritans that I read about in the holy gospel. You think that these men do not need to be reinterviewed? I's say that these men cannot be ruled out as persons of interest in this case.

Also the School Bus Driver left the police force in Maine, we do not know the backgrounds of either of these two men. rd, I think your reading the wrong blogs. www.mauramurray.com, this is a bulletin board run by the family

I presume your referring to me about being sued, well it is not my fault that there are so many inconsistencies in this case, or the construction worker witheld information for three months. There is no convincing me that a girl goes missing infront of your yard, literally, and you see a lone girl on the highway, in the middle of no where and you do not connect the dots!!!!!....sorry rd, this is just too unreal for me to believe. I stand by what I've written, and very seldom my insights have failed me, not yet anyway. Your certainly entitled to what you think....
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi kate,

No, I was talking me being sued for what you've written. :) But yes, you have every right to stand by what you've written and it is still there as questions to be answered.

I do not understand anything that you have written in this post. I read all the articles, I haven't read any other blogs and you have been pretty heavy into this case and have. Apparently nearly everything you just wrote came from those blogs. None of it was in the articles. My summary was a summary of what was in the articles.

Is there something missing from the reported facts? Certainly info dribbled out through those articles over time. For example, all the information about the liquor came out much later. But we have what we have, and if there is inside info that sheds light, then by all means please enlighten.

Much of what you just wrote refers to a second person at the crash scene. I don't know where that comes from at all. Also have no idea about the two and half hour wait in the car. What is known is the bus driver was 100 yards short of home, stopped at the crash scene, went to help, and was told by Maura that she called AAA and to please not call the police. He went on home and called 911 and the EMS, and the police arrived about 9 minutes later.

If anything different than that happened, what is it and where did the information come from?

The construction worker saw Maura four or five miles away. I can quote from the article if necessary. You talk of the bus driver and construction worker being neighbors. Out there in the middle of nowhere? Do you know this to be true?

It is known that her backpack and liquor bottles she purchased after leaving the ATM are missing. School books? After packing up her room I seriously doubt she was hauling school books around, and she sure as heck wasn't carrying them down the road. I have no reason to believe she was carrying any schoolbooks that are missing. If they aren't in her car then I would ask why anyone would think they would be to start with. She clearly had left school for good.

I guess the biggest question is what this second person at the crash scene is you are talking about.

rd
Murray

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The father posted that he thought she was only leaving school for a couple of days, but Maura had packed everything in her room, including taking artwork off the wall.

But Maura also had her text books with her and had either downloaded or picked up an accident report form which was also in the car. The text books were still in Maura’s car.

Quote:
The father said she only took $280 with her, but he didn't answer my question as to whether that was most of the money in her account or not. Makes all the difference in the world to take all the money you can get or just a portion of it as the father implied with only $280.

I’m confused…did you ask her father personally. The answer is that it was most of the money and about what you would need for a couple of nights stay in a very inexpensive motel.

Quote:
Also taken with her was jewelry. That's not indicative of a casual, short getaway.

Well I know I take most of my jewelry (don’t have much) when I go away, but I know I would take all of it if I lived in a dorm room.

Quote:
It would be interesting to know how conclusively the police know it was her sister calling, and only her sister with possibly a call from someone else not known. With cell phone records there would be little question, and the police said it was her sister who called.

From Maura’s cell phone records, it is known that she spoke with her sister around 10:00 p.m. from the reports in the papers she was ‘upset’ much later.

Quote:
Reading the articles I see that the father covered up her accident two days earlier by saying there was a problem but it wasn't important.

I’m not sure what you read, but the article I read where this comment appeared was in fact a message to Maura….don’t worry…its ok.

Quote:
And he went down the road to his house and called both 911 and EMS, and for his trouble he is made a person of suspicion by some. He's had sleepless nights since then, he says. He should be proud of himself for helping as much as he did against her wishes.

The last known person to have spoken to somebody is more often than not a ‘person of interest’ just or not…it is what happens. And, there are certainly a lot of unanswered questions about what he did, said and saw.

Quote:
The relationship with her fiancee was described in one report as troubled or something to that effect. No indication who told the reporter this, but would assume it was one of her sisters. Yet she sent an email to him saying everything was fine before she took off. What trouble, how recent and how serious? These kind of things are important, but clearly was another thing covered up if even remotely true.

To my knowledge the only ones who described Maura’s relationship with her fiancée as troubled was the police….and that appears to be based on old letters found in her dorm room. Both an email and a voicemail that day give no indication of trouble.

Quote:
After she ran off the road, disabling her car, she lied to the passerby that she called AAA (couldn't have, no cell phone coverage) and pleaded with him not to call the police. This was not stated on Nancy Grace, otherwise wouldn't have gone over too well.

Again, we know that this is what was said by the bus driver…there is no he said/she said because we’ve never heard what Maura said. Based on four newspaper articles and on other I cannot find, I have always believed that there was another witness who spoke with Maura. The police say in a press release…witnesses said…that is witnesses plural…the other named witnesses were no where close enough to be able to tell that Maura was intoxicated and the bus driver has on more than one occasion stated that she didn’t appear intoxicated to him.

Quote:

But when he saw another article on Maura's disappearance that said Feb. 9, he checked his records and saw he did return home that night and it was her. He called police immediately and told them what he knew.

You assume that he called police…do you know that??? The area where he claims to have seen her is even more remote than the crash site, and he didn't remember for three months?

Quote:
Also not stated on Nancy Grace was that a book was in her backseat about the mountains she was in bookmarked with a family photo on the chapter "Life or Death?". I mean, give me a break here. To say she's not suicidal is just refusing to face reality.

The segment on Nancy Grace was about five minutes...there was a lot unsaid...each of the guests was asked only one question. If she was suicidal or intoxicated…as the police appeared to believe, then why did they wait from Monday until Wednesday to bring in a dog, she was clearly endangered if either of these scenarios were the case, not to mention a hole/crack in the windshield?

Quote:
Now, whether she wanted to end her life or run away, or whether she's in serious trouble somewhere, it's important to find her and help her, even if all she wants to say is leave me alone. That's her perogative.

Should the police be forced to reveal what information they have to the family? I have posted often that they shouldn't be able to keep the family in the dark about what they are or aren't doing, and what they may have overlooked that others may see something in. Certainly that's been the case in Chandra's disappearance

Even if the police have some info that involves someone in the family being the reason she took off, sitting on it and waiting for a body to show up someday should not be allowed..

I couldn't agree more and as recently as January 20, 2006, there was an article in a local paper where the Sr. Asst. AG stated that there had been a search a couple of weeks before…the family did not know about this search. Accident reports and police logs are public records…if a reporter had gone to the police station the next day they would have been given those documents…

Quote:
Is there something missing from the reported facts? Certainly info dribbled out through those articles over time. For example, all the information about the liquor came out much later. But we have what we have, and if there is inside info that sheds light, then by all means please enlighten.

I have no doubt that there is a lot of information missing from the reported facts. All we know from what was reported in the papers is that Maura purchased this alcohol…since not all of the alcohol was found in the car it was assumed that she took it with her in her back pack, but the fact is it is unknown whether she took it to NH with her. I am not saying that there was no alcohol in the car, it would seem that there is a good possibility that there was, however, not all of it was in the car.

I think the reference to 2 ½ hours is the length of the drive from Amherst to Woodsville.

Quote:
and was told by Maura that she called AAA and to please not call the police.

Again, we know that this is what he said…and there is a possibility that if there were another witness, Maura had in fact asked them to call AAA.

Quote:
The construction worker saw Maura four or five miles away. I can quote from the article if necessary. You talk of the bus driver and construction worker being neighbors. Out there in the middle of nowhere? Do you know this to be true?

I do, they lived very close to each other until the bus driver moved.
jane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, Murray. I do wish that the police would share whatever further info they have with Maura's family. It's close to one year now since she went missing.

Here's a link to the most recent article posted at Maura's site:

http://www.dailycollegian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/01/26/41f802f9653c2
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I see where kate got her info. Thanks for the info, Murray.

I asked the person who posted the info, you, who had responded with one post but then didn't answer about the $280 as you now have done. I thought it was the father posting.

There is nothing to indicate a second person at the crash scene, who you are accusing the bus driver of lying about along with hiding Maura, and then calling 911 and the EMS once what, they drank the liquor?

Holy cow.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone - I read the article (link at my last post, before this one, on this thread - and am dumbfounded that police had not checked out (interviewed) the recipients of Maura's last cell phonecall - the Salamones - as of 8 months after her disappearance!!!
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from www.dailycollegian.com (fair use)

Missing student's parents angry over police investigation
By Dan O'Brien, Collegian Staff
The Daily Collegian
January 26, 2005

It has been almost one year since University of Massachusetts junior Maura Murray vanished without a trace. As her family and friends continue to hope and pray for her safe return, they have also expressed anger with the New Hampshire State Police who allegedly botched the investigation.

The 21-year-old nursing student from Hanson, Mass. packed up her belongings in her Kennedy Hall dorm room on February 9, 2004. In recent months, the Murray family has discovered that police have made several critical errors in the investigation, and allegedly lied to the news media.

At approximately 7 p.m. on Feb. 9th, Maura was driving on route 112 in Haverhill, NH, police said. As she was trying to negotiate a curve, her car slid off the road.

According to witnesses, after the crash Maura appeared to be frightened, but physically unharmed. A passing school bus driver stopped and asked Maura if she needed help, but she refused saying she had already called "Triple A" from her cell phone. However, there was no cell phone service in that area. The bus driver said he drove a short distance to his home and called police, but Maura had left the scene before they arrived. It appeared as if she had disappeared into the cold night.

Neither the New Hampshire State Police nor Haverhill, NH Police questioned anybody who lived in the vicinity of where Maura was last seen until 36 hours after her disappearance. This is just one in a series of critical errors that that has angered the Murray family.

In a June interview with WCVB-TV, the police officer in charge of the investigation, Lt. John Scarinza of the New Hampshire State Police, Troop F, claimed that authorities had found a note in Maura's dorm room that she had wrote to her boyfriend, Army Lt. Billy Rausch of Ohio, indicating troubles in their relationship.

"Sometime between Sunday and Monday morning, she packed up all her belongings in her dorm room, to include taking all her pictures off the walls, taking everything out of her bureaus, [and] put them all in boxes [and] left [them] on her bed," Scarinza told WCVB-TV, "[She] left a personal note to her boyfriend on top of the boxes."

Maura's mother, Laurie Murray, told the Daily Collegian in August that the relationship between her daughter and Rausch was a "very, very good relationship."

Raush's mother, Sharon Rausch, reiterated that statement in a recent interview. She said there was a point where the couple's relationship was rocky in the spring of 2002, but they had resolved their problems by summer and had a good relationship since then.

Her son arrived at Maura's dorm room with police just two days after she went missing. He said there was no recent letters to him from Maura that were found.

"There is no note," Sharon Raush said.

Maura's father, Fred Murray, sent a letter to New Hampshire Governor Craig Benson on May 21, 2004 asking him to persuade State Police to receive assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in the search for his daughter. Murray never received a response.

Since then, Murray has applied for a Freedom of Information Act in order to receive more information about the investigation.

"After writing to the governor, I appealed again to the attorney general and the district attorney of Grafton County, but I don't expect anything," Murray said.

Murray has been traveling to New Hampshire to search for his daughter almost every weekend since her disappearance.

"This place is like the old west," Murray said as he described the atmosphere of Northern New Hampshire.

Murray said part of his search has included hanging out in local bars in hopes to overhear a conversation in which someone mentions something about Maura. Murray said he has been actively investigating his daughter's disappearance himself because he does not trust the police to conduct a proper investigation.

"These guys can't catch a cold," he said.

Murray said his main frustration is that police refuse to investigate "scenario number 4." Lt. Scarniza told the Daily Collegian in August that the police investigation has led them to believe Maura "left on her own volition." This would lead one to believe Maura either ran away, committed suicide, or suffered from hypothermia. The Murrays disagreed and believe she was abducted.

Fred Murray believes the police do not want to admit there is a predator in their small, rural community.

"There's a bad guy on their turf in their backyard," Murray said. "The skunk is on their doorstep."

While the Murray family has been disputing facts about the police investigation, yet another troubling piece of information came to light in October 2004 when Sharon Rausch was reviewing Maura's cell phone records. The cell phone was given to Maura by her boyfriend, which was purchased in his mother's name. Rausch came across the last two numbers Maura called three hours before she disappeared.

The first number was to a UMass Amherst dormitory. The number appeared to be a dead end for investigators because the person who lived there likely moved on.

Rausch decided to call the second number, which was to Dominic and Linda Salamone of Wakefield, Mass. In the course of Raush's conversation with Linda Salamone, she claims that she realized the Salamones own a condo in Bartlett, NH -- the same condo association the Murray family vacationed in years past.

Although the phone call was one of the last Maura made before she went missing, the Salamones said police never once contacted them. The couple did not learn of their part of the story until being contacted by Rausch, eight months after Maura vanished.

"I was speechless," Rausch recalled, "and that doesn't happen to me very often."

Fred Murray explained that this new information is another piece of evidence that points to Maura being abducted.

"She had a destination," Murray said. "She was on route 112, which goes right to Bartlett... [The police] will do anything to avoid saying 'number 4.'"

This new information does not back up the NH State Police theory that Maura ran away or committed suicide because it would be unlikely for her to rent a condo if she was planning on running away. Before she left UMass, she contacted her professors stating there was a death in the family, when there was no such death.

Many people believe she was taking time off from school to deal with the stress of a recent car crash in which she caused $10,000 worth of damage to her father's vehicle. In addition, Maura's school textbooks were found in the vehicle.

Sharon Rausch and Fred Murray have both said they could not be unhappier with the police investigation.

"It's clear they have their own agenda and it has nothing to do with the truth or finding Maura," said Rausch.

More bad news hit the Murray family this past October. Maura's mother, Laurie Murray was diagnosed with throat cancer. According to Rausch, she has already undergone 30 days of chemotherapy and radiation treatment and has been doing better. Rausch said Murray has told people she is going to beat the cancer so she can see Maura come home.

The Daily Collegian has made several attempts to contact New Hampshire State Police for information regarding this article, but calls were not returned.

Rausch asks anyone who would like to help keep hope for Maura to pray, wear a blue ribbon, or light an electric- or battery-operated candle until she comes home.

On their official Web site, New Hampshire State Police have asked anyone with information regarding Maura's disappearance to call Sgt. Robert Bruno at 603-846-3333. The Murray family asks those with information to either call police or contact them through their "Maura's Missing" Web site at http://www.mauramurray.com
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also feedback to the article on the dailycollegian:

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So by Salamone not knowing about the call, that means it wasn't answered and no message left. Is the number a number that Maura was given by her family from visits past? Or a number that would be got from looking up the condo association in Bartlett?

I take it the Salamones own one of the condos so this seems like it would be a number retained from a previous visit by the family when they stayed at that condo. I don't see any other obvious way Maura would get it.

That Maura was visiting their previous family vactioning area was already clear. That it was a destination, no doubt. But a call to a condo owner makes it a real specific destination.

If that number is on her cell phone records three hours before she disappeared and the police didn't talk to the party called, then I consider that criminal. The trouble with police secrecy is you don't know if they are covering up incompetence and criminal negligence or vital information they did obtain.

But they clearly didn't obtain anything from the Salamones.

rd
Murray

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is nothing to indicate a second person at the crash scene, who you are accusing the bus driver of lying about along with hiding Maura, and then calling 911 and the EMS once what, they drank the liquor?

I don't believe I have ever publically accused anybody...what I have stated is that there appears to be a lot of contradictory information which may have been due to reporters or editors.

As to whether or not there was more than one witness:

Yesterday I received a copy of an article that appeared in Valley News paper just after Maura disappeared...it cites the press release from the Haverhill Police Department.

Excerpts from Valley News article article (the person who sent it to me didn't date it...it is believed to be within the month of February 2004):

"Police believe Murray is en route to the Kancamangus Highway area. Police fear she is in danger, the release said. Witnesses at the accident scene on Route 112 said they saw a woman who appeared to be under the influence of alcohol, the release said. ....Upon getting to the scene, police found an abandoned vehicle--a 1996 black Saturn sedan with a Massachusetts registration, the release said. Haverhill police, state police and EMS officials searched the area, but couldn't find the driver. Documents in the vehicle indicated that Murray was the driver."

N. Country News 2/27/04

Three witnesses had seen only one person , Ms. Murray, in the vehicle. Another person in a motor vehicle who happened onto the scene stopped and spoke with her. They reported only Ms. Murray was there. ....Chief Williams told me that those various contacts between witnesses and the arrival of the Haverhill cruiser was about three minutes. Ms. Murray had somehow vanished from the scene.

Now, the bus driver on more than one occassion has told reporters that Maura didn't appear intoxicated to him......if in fact he didn't believe she was intoxicated, who told the police that she did??? I would add the the N. Country News article says he is the one who reported that she appeared to have been drinking...though he is directly quoted in another article as saying she didn't apper intoxicated.

I did post here quite a while ago and continue to check back to read Chandra's site...I stopped posting, because I have no desire to argue points with somebody. I have no problem discussing or explaining the little I know beyond what was in the newspapers.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed the reported three people the police talked to after arriving were the bus driver, his wife, and a neighbor who called police. From Joe McGee of the Patriot Ledger:

Bus driver Butch Atwood was coming around the bend in his school bus after dropping off a group of skiers who had been in North Conway for the day. He stopped, offered Murray help, and kept going when she said she had called AAA. Atwood parked the bus at his home, about 100 yards up Route 112, walked inside and told his wife Barbara what happened.

Another neighbor called police, who arrived within minutes. They found the bag, some bottles of alcohol, and that was it.

Maura Murray was gone.

Gary Lindsley reported the bus driver returned to the scene when the police arrived. I would think his wife went with him.

I am also thinking that McGee has it wrong about another neighbor calling police. Who would that neighbor be? Are there neighbors? How many houses near that curve in the road? An article says the Weather Barn is there, from another posting apparently an old barn style tourist store.

I need to see what my map software says about that location. I need to get that PC with it working again anyway.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd, all the articles are on mauramurray.com, and the inconsistencies in the statements of the witnesses are discussed on this site under Discussions.

There are pictures on this site as well, laying out the accident scene, the houses of the witnesses, which are Faith Westman and her husband, the construction worker lives next door, and the construction worker across the street.

They claimed not to know one another, the accident occurred in their front yard, they are friends, we are to assume that they did not discuss a girl who went missing on their doorsteps, this defies the imagination~!

There are so many inconsistencies, it would take me hours to spell this out. I already had and lost the post because I did not sign in and when I did, it was gone somewhere in cyber land. Just as well I see that Helena has added substantially to explain what is going on....

Because the inconsistencies in this case are so startling, there may be yet other or more witnesses than we know of....Faith Westman says Maura was outside her car, someone says she is staggering. The SBD states that she was not intoxicated, although he is the only person who could have made this assessment as he was the only person close to Maura. Wine was spilt all over the dash, the head rest, the left driver's door, and on the seat. The SBD had to have smelled alcohol? Maura had to be drenched in it. Yet he claims that he did not say Maura was intoxicated. A red wine container was found outside the car, torn, ripped open. It likely had a valve which are very difficult to open if you don't know how, one would have to tear it open, I've seen this done by men at parties. It would not have been torn apart in the accident, squashed but not torn, no.

Faith hears a car accelerating, then a crash, she goes to the window and sees a dark car, patically on the road, with the lights on, the car headed the wrong way in the westbound land. Spun around 180 degrees. She calls the police, at 7:29. Faith has a clear view of the accident scene and the sbd house.

The sbd comes along, about five minutes later, and stays for 5 minutes, he offers help, and Maura states she had called AAA. Maura exited outside by alleged squeezing out the deployed airbags, inflated, out the passengers door, between a snow bank that was up to the mail boxes on the road. Why did she not exit out the passengers door.

What the sbd describes seeing, when he exited the bus, is, he walked to the front of her car, shone the flash light in and he saw her only above the lips, as the air bag was deployed. This is not possible, this is a freudian slip, as the only way he could have witnesses the airbag being deployed is if he struck her with the bus or witnessed her being struck by someone else. These airbags deflate as they are inflating, this occurs within seconds. Perhaps for some reason he simply made this up. But he is a former police officer he is use to describing what he sees... The windsheild is cracked.

The sbd leaves, as she told him to go. His version of things is that he backed his bus in the drive way, went to his house and told his wife what had happened, he then tries to get through to 911 and cannot, then he goes out to the porch and calls, and gets through to the police at 7;43. This gives him a total of 4 minutes to accomplish this taste if we go by faith statements and develop the timeline from there., The sbd came along five minutes after the accident parked his bus alongside Maura's car, and left five minutes later. This brings the time to 7:39.

The police arrive at 7:46 and Maura is gone. There are people in the community who state the emergency call went out over the scanners nearer to 7pm, the EMS vehicles were called back, stating the girl had left in a private vehicle, the police also stated this in one of their statements to the press.

When the sbd saw the police were there he states he went to his bus to do paper work. Sgt. cecil smith with LE came down to the bus knocked on the window and asked if the sbd called in the accident. The LE officer advised that Maura was gone. The sbd then went west to search for Maura in his bus, he came back, then drove along French Pond Road and came back. Cecil Smith allegedly drove around looking as well? When the sbd came back Trooper Monahan was there, they then looked for footprints at the accident scene and surrounding area. There was a tow truck, I don't know when he came, but he likely did not leave much before 9pm thereabouts. Nancy Grace reported on the 27th on her programme that there were no foot prints leading from the scene of the accident.

Faith's version of the story, she states that she no longer could see Maura after the sbd left, but she also states that she no longer viewed the accident scene after the sbd came along. She also, states that the sbd left backinto his driveway, then stayed on the bus, the lights had to be on as he states he went to the bus to do paper work from his trip to North Conway that day. She says he remained on the bus a long time.

The sbd describes the damage to the car in one accident, this was not the same information the family devired from viewing the car sometime later.

The fact that Maura did not take her gloves, left her overnight bag in the car, and her jewels, seems that she is not the one who grabbed her stuff.
These jewels are expensive gifts from her boy friend, she is not likely to have left them behind.

I'm surprized you would doubt me, the inconsistencies are there, you just have to dig a little deeper. It is three months I've been weighting this information seriously, and the more one digs the more unbelieveable it all seems, one thing for sure, the police need to reinterview the witnesses, do some back ground checks on the witnesses and see what they find. A forensic examination of the car, might determine where Maura might have stopped for gas, what damage and how was done to her vehicle, if the wine was planted, if she struck her head on the windsheild or on the left panel of her car. There are many unanswered questions and no doubt trying to explain three months of work does sound confusing when trying to condense all that is known in a coherent manner.

I believe that Faith Westmans' husband might have viewed the accident scene and that he is the one who viewed the accident scene after his wife stopped looking, well so it seems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: