www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maura Murray - Missing Haverhill NH 2/9/04
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this is the map, will attempt the aerial view once more, I'm unable to edit in this thread, so excuse if this repeats and shows the same map.
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The base of the mountain is 840 feet, the terrain where Maura went missing was rugged, and unpopulated, it is basically through wilderness. At least judging from the photo's and maps, pictures, I've examined on line.

French Pond Road where the white underware that her sister Kathleen found was very close to the scene of the accident, described as one mile south of Swiftwater heading east on 112. It would be helpful to know if there was any DNA gleaned off of this piece of clothing, and whether it was a match to Maura's. I'm wondering as well if the dogs were used to get a hit off the underware??!! Given that this is in the wilderness, it is surprizing if not remarkable that these were found, as we know that it had been snowing and white on white is very difficult to find. The dogs allegedly only were able to track Maura a short distance, was this anywhere near the finding of the underware.

I'm curious about the report of the construction worker seeing her about 4-5 miles down the road from the scene of the accident? This would make if approximately five miles east of Swiftwater on the 112 almost near the intersection of 116. I'm baffled why it took so long for this chap to notify the police, wonder if they have given him a polygraph, it is understandable that he might have been confused, but given that he saw a strange woman with a back pack in the dead of winter walking alone in a mountainous region at 8pm at night seems extrodinary that he did not phone the police anyway regardless of the date which he thought she may have been in the accident, as she was a missing person, and this is very uncommon for this area. Although there are two men missing from this area, one in his twenties and a 70 year old from the Buddist Centre, also the missing young woman from Vermount, not far from the boarder of New Hampshire.

In the area that the construction worker describes there are barely any roads that run off of this highway, that is if mapquest maps are accurate? If she had been staggering from a head injury, or intoxicated, it seems that this would be obvious and that she needed help. Maura had to be cold, likely she had not eaten for awhile, I just question in that state having already walked 4-5 miles that this person was not more startled by seeing her on the road. Now I say this with my framework of reference, here in Nova Scotia in the mountains we would have found that extrodinary and if a woman likely would have driven back to ask if she needed help, he had a close enough look at her to later report this to the police? Likely he was not driving very fast if there had been new fallen snow? I don't know what the temperature was but it had to be at least 0 freezing if it had been snowing. Somthing does not ring true here? I don't know exactly what?

It would be most helpful to know where Maura may have made reservations to, or at least looked up places to stay.

It was reported that Maura was intoxicated, this cannot be confirmed whether she was drinking or as a result of hitting the windsheild, given that there were broken wine bottles in the car, she may have smelled like liquor. One of two things, Maura was leaving the scene of the accident as she had been drinking and did not want to be caught. She had been in an accident the day before which 10,000 dollars worth of damage was sustained to her Father's car, and if not the day before then very near to the date that she went missing. Regardless of whether drinking or not, it was obvious that there were some signs, such as staggering, slurred words, something that gave the witnesses indication that she was intoxicated.

It was dark at 7pm, it seems very odd that the police knowing this did not go down the 112 to look for her, also the bus driver or others who may have witnessed the accident. This is absolutely extrodinary, the police were allegedly on the scene in 10 minutes, like how far can one walk in this time in the dead of winter after just being in a car accident?!

I'm wondering if Maura might have hid off the road to avoid the police as it seems totally negligent that no one found her walking down the highway or went to look! This is a deserted place. We are talking out in the woods?
I do not know if there are houses along the road in this vacinity, there are quite a few roads around the French Pond area where it meets the 112 but past this the side roads are few and far between.

Next one wonders where Maura was going. I can appreciate her need to get away from Nursing School, it is unlikely she was quiting as she brought her books with her. She may have been hichiking? But it seems with the amount of liquor that she brought with her, likely planned to do some heavy partying or she brought the liquor for someone she was meeting? There is the possiblity that Maura was simply trying to get away, to an area that she was familiar with and would find somewhere to stay when she got there, the destination on the copied maps were different from the direction in which she was going? Curious! What is odd as well is that she took expensive jewerly with her, if going skiing, hanging out for a week to relax and study, why would one take their jewerly? Very odd?

Therefore if she has no real plan in mind, other than to get away and study, motels, and bed and breakfast places along the way or houses around where she was last seen walking should have been/should be investigated.

The book, "Not Without Peril", by Howe seems odd that one it was her favourite book, and two that she was headed to the area that the book was written about? Also that she had this on her person. I'm wondering if she wrote on a website with anyone discussing this book and become friendly with them.

Given that she has been in the previous car accident the day before, it is possible that if she had a contact about the book that she may have written to this person on line (someone she may have meet as a result of communicating about this book) and if she told them about the car accident that they suggested that she come up to the mountains to get away? (excuse the convulted sentence)

In reasearching about this book, Wentworth who was the royal governor of NH, who was the first vacationer of the area, he owned (or family owned) the estate not far from there, and this was the shooting location of the movie, "The Shinning". How small a world, I've been to the Wentworth summer home in Wentworth valley, N.S. and stayed at the house, it is nothing really to look at but a very old mansion in the mountains located in Nova Scotia, which is a skiing hostile. Only a half dozen pages were available of the book on line to read, and this simply dealt with the history of the place, but it seems this book was about the perils of mountain climbing and people being rescuded. It would be helpful to know of course what was on the hard drive of her computer related to this book, or any associations or contacts she may have met because of this? There were sections of the book underlined, this would be helpful as well.

There is also Maura's boyfriend, I found his statements curious, he had spoken to Maura on Sunday night and Monday morning, and everything was fine he stated. Given that she had almost totalled (your) her Father's car (although cover by insurance), it is still an upsetting occurance to be in a fairly major car accident, and during these conversations he stated that she was fine?!! I find this absolutely unbelieveable, because although the damage of the car was covered, it had to have upset her terribly. So if she did not tell him, this is very odd. Why did he then call her back on Monday morning? I do not think that he is revealing to the press everything that he knew was going on in Maura's life or he choose not to make it public, which can be appreciated Her father saying that this was not a big deal financially however, emotionally it must have had some impact.

The catalyst of this spiral of being out of control with Maura seems to have begun a few days before the car accident, it was reported that she received a phone call that reduced her to tears. She did not share with anyone what this was, someone is witholding information regarding this conversation, my guess it was with the boyfriend? Or someone unknown to family and friend. Maura's boyfriend claims to have been engaged to be engaged, what this means I'm not exactly sure, they had been dated for a couple of years, he likely was on very good terms with her father, well at least knew him well, so why were they hiding this fact?
Something is not adding up here regarding this relationship? No offense meant, it is just that all the facts are not known or perhaps made public. It seems apparent that Maura had something very serious on her mind, being distracted, and having to get away?

It is possible that Maura in her previous trips to the area might have met someone who she kept in touch with from the area and was going to visit with them? This is unknown, but possible. Maybe just to get away? I'm sure the police and family have looked into this angle!

It maybe possible that Maura simply hated Nursing School as it is a real head banger, and as an adult I can say it was the most humiliating experience of my life, the course load is difficult, and Nurses are a different breed, and as much as the spirit is willing, it is still a monumentous task to get through all the crap one has to take in order to get that RN license, I speak here first hand.

Maura had been in West Point Cadets, so she may not have found it difficult the routine of Nursing School, well less of a challenge than some of her other class mates who did not have the experience of being ordered about and doing as people told her to do. But she may have been having second thoughts about it, or weighed down by the course requirements?

Being in Cadet training and obviously a healthy young woman, it seems that she may have been able to defend herself. It somehow seems remote that a killer was driving around the hills at 8pm on a Monday looking for someone to murder on a Monday night, it maybe so, but given that they would live in the area, it would seem that the police or neighbours might have some red flags about this person, as if they are a murderer or sexual deviant this person should draw some attention to himself as a possible suspect. Granted there are three other people missing in the area, although their disappearances do not seem related. It is odd that two people went missing from the Buddist Community, and Maura's father has been in touch with the family of the missing woman from Vermount. There maybe some connection, however there is no evidence for comparison, at least that is printed on line.

Murray I do not know if anything written here is helpful, but I gave it my best shot to ponder Maura's disappearance and research the information on line and the geographical area.

I do believe Maura has meet with somekind of accident, whether someone struck her with their car as she walked along the road, or at some point she feel off the road, or simply tried to find shelter and injured herself. I did read one psychic's impression/dream/vision that she had fallen or was knocked off the road and was at the foot of a hill, mountain. I cannot remember where I read this, but it was sometime ago, and found it inadvertantly on line while looking for something else about another missing person, actually it was a search party that she was going on or something to the effect.

I hope that there is no offense taken with anything that has been written, and pardon if I've spoken about you in the third person, simply striving to be objective.

Hopefully some evidence will turn up, and the police will step up their investigation, and I agree that the whole thing seems blotched from the beginning. Perhaps, I misunderstand the terrain, but somehow doubt this, and given that the police did not search down the road for someone who may have had a head injury from and accident or who had been drinking out in the cold in the dead of winter in the wilderness is impossible to justify, no matter what spin one tries to make of the scenario of what may have happened to Maura. I pray that you may hear soon something that will lead to some information of what became of Maura.
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maura Murray Family, Friends Say State Police Lied
BY GARY E. LINDSLEY, Staff Writer
Saturday July 3, 2004

Family and friends of a missing 22-year-old University of Massachusetts at Amherst nursing student say New Hampshire State Police are misinforming the public.

"You don't try to provide spin unless you are trying to cover something up," said Sharon Rausch, mother of Maura Murray's boyfriend, Billy Rausch of Fort Sill, Okla.

Murray has not been seen since she was involved in a minor one-car accident Feb. 9 on dark, and curvy Route 112 in Haverhill, N.H.

"They are a bunch of liars," Rausch said. "I am at the point the only people I am worried about offending are Billy and Fred."

Fred is Fred Murray, Maura's father.

Murray and Rausch are upset about comments made this week by New Hampshire State Police Troop F commander Lt. John Scarinza.

Scarinza pointed to a book by Nicholas Howe, "Not Without Peril," as a possible source of why Maura disappeared. The book was among items found in her car.

In the book, there are stories about tragedies and rescues in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, areas in which Maura and her father had hiked.

Scarinza has said Murray told police his daughter was suicidal.

However, the first mention of Maura being suicidal was in a press release issued by Haverhill Police Chief Jeff Williams two days after Maura's car accident and disappearance.

Murray says he never told police his daughter was suicidal.

"I want to set the record straight," he said. "Scarinza is using (Howe's book) to reinforce his suicide theory. It's nothing like that.

"Maura liked the book," he said. "She was making her way through it. The reason she liked the book was because she likes several different areas in the White Mountains. There are all kinds of landmarks. That's all it was."

Although he is upset about Scarinza's comments, Murray isn't surprised.

"If he goes with the suicide theory, that means nothing happened on his turf and during his watch," Murray said. "However, when you have a bad guy (involved), it's in (Scarinza's) back yard and he can't solve it."

"He's pushing it hard," he continued. "He's to the point he's making things up."

Rausch, equally upset with Scarinza's comments, says, "It's pretty pathetic that 41/2 months later, the state police want to secure the evidence."

She says it's comparable to the state police not searching for Maura until 36 hours after she disappeared.

"They never did a forensics study," Rausch said. "And Lt. Scarinza is providing a lot of misinformation to the public - including that she ran away to a new life; she froze to death; she committed suicide."

"When I lay awake at night," she continued, "I wonder how well Lt. Scarinza is sleeping."

And Rausch is adamant when she says she never told Scarinza about "Not Without Peril."

"That angers me because this is just another thing that is a lie," she said. "Why didn't he ask me what that meant?"

Rausch was referring to Maura saying the book was her favorite.

"She told me (the White Mountains are) a favorite place she likes to go," she said, adding Maura told her, ÔAnd most of all it's my favorite place on earth.'"

Scarinza could not be reached for comment Friday afternoon.
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re reading this material, Maura only had with her a box of wine, not a case of wine. It is not know how large the other bottles of liquor she took with her possibly....

Have been trying to find out who it was exactly were at the scene of the accident? As far as I can determine it was the bus driver.
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A family waits and wonders: What happened to Maura?

Fred Murray of Hanson looks at a map in his motel room in Wells River, Vt., before setting out with his sister Kathleen to search for clues in the disappearance their sister Maura, who was last seen after crashing her car on Feb. 9 on Route 112 in nearby Haverhill, N.H. (AMELIA KUNHARDT/The Patriot Ledger)
By JOE McGEE
The Patriot Ledger

WELLS RIVER, Vt. - Kathleen Murray scatters the belongings on a motel room floor like pieces of a puzzle. The bag of stuff is what her sister, Maura Murray of Hanson, left behind when she was last seen Feb. 9 in Woodsville, N.H. - clothes, CDs, makeup and a copy of ‘‘Not Without Peril,'' journalist Nicholas Howe's story about people who died hiking New Hampshire's Presidential Mountain Range.

For Kathleen Murray, the book is unnerving because it talks about the rural region of northern New Hampshire where Murray was last seen.

‘‘My father gave it to her. I don't know what it could mean,'' the Hanover resident said.

The conditions couldn't have been worse for 21-year-old Murray when she disappeared. It was dark and freezing on the stretch of Route 112 that runs along the Wild Ammonoosuc River near the Vermont border. Police believe Murray was on her own. Nobody knew she left the campus at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst where she was a junior studying nursing.

Then she crashed. The only roadside help was a 350-pound man named Butch Atwood, an imposing figure whose presence wouldn't be that welcoming to a young woman in the dead of the night, according to his wife.

Murray's family has lived in a nearby motel ever since, trying to piece together the mystery of her disappearance. After two weeks, there are few good leads. All they have are the bag of items she didn't take with her, wherever she went.

‘‘I know she was up here on her own will, but something altered her plans along the way and it could've been foul play. Nothing else makes sense,'' said Fred Murray of Hanson, Maura's brother.

The scene of the accident in the Woodsville section of Haverhill, N.H., is at a sharp bend of Route 112, which is marked by an old red barn that at one time was a gift shop for summer travelers visiting the White Mountains. Police believe Murray left UMass that afternoon, possibly upset over cracking up her father's car days earlier, or for some other reason nobody knows about.

It's not certain if she was going west on Route 112 toward Vermont, or east into New Hampshire, but the car went off the road into some brush at about 7 p.m.

The accident couldn't have been that bad. One little nick on a tree is all that marks the scene other than the ‘‘missing'' posters family and friends stapled up. Damage to the Saturn sedan was minimal, but Murray's head cracked the windshield. The front of the car was pushed in.

Bus driver Butch Atwood was coming around the bend in his school bus after dropping off a group of skiers who had been in North Conway for the day. He stopped, offered Murray help, and kept going when she said she had called AAA. Atwood parked the bus at his home, about 100 yards up Route 112, walked inside and told his wife Barbara what happened.

Another neighbor called police, who arrived within minutes. They found the bag, some bottles of alcohol, and that was it.

Maura Murray was gone.

Police searched the area for days but there were no obvious clues. There were no footprints and a bloodhound lost a scent on the road near the Atwoods house. Ever since, Fred and Kathleen Murray and other family members have been staying at a motel in Wells River, a town just over the border from New Hampshire.

Police are treating the disappearance as a missing persons case, and a stagnant one at that. The only significant lead turned up in Burlington, Vt., but it went nowhere. Authorities said Murray had downloaded Internet directions to Burlington. Fred and Kathleen Murray say they're growing frustrated but won't give up.

The chapter of Howe's book titled ‘‘A Question of Life or Death'' is book-marked with a Hallmark card and a photograph of Maura's brother Kurtis in a Little League uniform. Kathleen Murray got emotional looking it.

‘‘We have to find something just to get this going again. We need every lead followed up,'' she said.

For the family, trying to find the clue that will escalate the search is literally like trying to find a needle in a haystack in such an open, rural area. Every morning Murray family members search snowmobile trails, snowy fields, general stores and frozen ponds to look for footprints, and people to talk to. They're looking for anything.

It's all anyone's talking about these days around the area, and everybody has a theory.

‘‘Without fail, everybody who comes in here asks, ‘Have they found her yet?' One kid came in telling me, ‘They found her in Berlin (N.H.).' I would've known that if they did,'' said Bill Matteson, owner of Swiftwater Stagestop, a general store on Route 112, close to the accident scene.

Many people who live in this part of the state are ‘‘immigrants'' from Massachusetts, who came here ‘‘to get away from stuff like this,'' said Jeannette Wrigley, a Dorchester native and manager of the McDonald's in Haverhill.

‘‘Personally, I think somebody picked her up,'' Wrigley said.

Butch and Barbara Atwood are from Raynham and Taunton, respectively. They consider Haverhill much safer than where they grew up in Southeastern Massachusetts.

‘‘I might be afraid if I saw Butch. He's 350 pounds and has this mustache,'' Barbara Atwood said.

But she said there would have been no reason for Murray to fear anyone in an area where people know and look out for each other.

Said ice fisherman R.O. Richards of Lisbon, N.H., in his ice shanty on French Pond in Haverhill, ‘‘We have some thieves that might steal the teeth off a billy goat, but maybe that's it.''

Matteson said people know not to ‘‘mess with each other'' in this part of rural New Hampshire. Nearly everyone has a gun, he said. Matteson said he thinks that Murray walked away on her own, and got lost in the woods. It has happened before, according to locals.

‘‘An armed society is a safe society, that's why we have no crime,'' Matteson said.

‘‘In my opinion, it's a numbers game. On a Monday at 7 at night, maybe three cars went by here, at best. What are the odds that one is a predator?'' he said.

Locals are conditioned to deal with the weather, but wandering off could be fatal for a tourist. This week it was considered mild, even though the temperatures were below freezing and even colder with fierce winds. Without a good jacket and supplies ‘‘good luck,'' log cabin builder Mark Hesseltine said.

‘‘Not if you're not from around here, no way you're going to survive,'' Hesseltine said.

New Hampshire State Police and FBI agents in Massachusetts are now focusing on Murray's reason for leaving school. Nobody is thinking harder about Murray's state of mind than her sister Kathleen, one of her closest confidantes. The Saturday before Murray left school, she and her father, Frederick Murray of Weymouth, were shopping for a new car in Amherst because her Saturn was running on three cylinders.

It is also known that Murray got a phone call the Thursday before she left that disturbed her to the point that she needed to be escorted to her dormitory room by a supervisor. Friends in Amherst told the family they don't know what the call was about. Her father didn't think she seemed upset that weekend.

Looking at her sister's personal effects, Kathleen Murray wondered what went wrong.

‘‘She always told me everything. At school she had a few friends, but the people she was closest to was her boyfriend, or me, or my sister Julie. We would've known,'' Kathleen Murray said.

Copyright 2004 The Patriot Ledger
Transmitted Saturday, February 28, 2004

/quote

in reading over materials of what became of Maura published in the news, it seems that from the reliable evidence on line that Butch Atwood around seven oclock came upon Maura who went off the road, she must have been at the road side when he stopped in his bus, and asked if she needed help and Maura said she had called AAA? Did AAA ever receive a call?

The bus driver goes off home and he allegely called the police and they arrived 10 minutes later. A neighbour comes by and witnesses the accident and calls the police and they arrive a few minutes later. Unless this neighbour and the Bus Driver are one in the same persons?

Butch Atwood was the last person to see Maura alive, Maura's scent was last picked by by a Road near the Atwood house. Who came along in the few minutes after Atwood left Maura and the police arrived, who could have picked up Maura, she was obviosly headed in the direction of the Road Near the Atwood house as indicated by the police dogs. Maura's scent is lost from there?

Did she get into a vechicle of someone who witnessed the accident. It seems unlikely that Maura had time to make any calls, as for sure if she was on the road side, she would have called someone as she was waiting, it is reported to have been very cold, and not nice out. As well it was dark.

More than likely Maura would be in want of two things, a tow truck and a cab, access to a phone book to call a cab, or an establishment in the area or a house where she could call a cab from, if she was going to meet someone surely they would have insisted she stay put and they would come and get her.

It is possible that Maura sought refuge in a cottage but the evidence indicated she got into a car/truck/vechicle? How many cars passed down that road while before the police arrived, surely Atwood took notice of anyone who went down the road? Surely he did not sit chatting to his wife telling her about the story and not look out for the police to come? Folks in the country look out the window when the police are on the way?

If Maura was interested in getting a tow truck or a cab, she would have headed towards civilization and that would be back towards Swiftwater, coffee, bathroom, phonebook, warmth., food, the way she came. One would not venture down a rugged road at night in the dead of winter starting to cover any great distance, say heading down the 112 East towards the 116 hickhicking. One would thing the nearest garage was back a short distance from where she came, and would want to go there, heading out at that time of night further into the country does not make too much sense.

If Maura was seen 1 hour later, five miles down the road, this means that someone picked Maura up from near the Atwood House and dropped her off before the Engineer came down the 112 close to the 116. This seems an unlikely place for a person to be dropped off by someone offering them a drive, late at night, the cold the dark and having been picked up near the road by Atwood's House only a short distance away. Is there a garage near where the Engineer allegedly saw Maura on the road at 8pm?
A Cafe. Why would Maura get out of a car where, he allegedly sighted her walking down the road? Why would she have risked getting a ride only a few miles down the road.

The evidence points to Maura getting in a car near the road to Atwood's. It defies all odds, that a predator just happenstanced at that moment passed by, or that someone on the spot took advantage of Maura's vulnerabilit? It appears Maura went missing shortly after being in the car accident and that she got into a vechicle near the scene of the accident. The evidence points away from Maura walking into the wilderness and being lost, the dogs would have picked up her scent in the area if this were the case.

Who could this have been that kidnapped Maura, someone at the scene of the accident, at the periphery of the scene of the accident, someone she was planning to meet, someone who just drove by?
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article also points to the upset that was happening in Maura's life, she received a phone call, and the supervisor had to escort her to her dorm, now what could have been so upsetting, who would phoned in the middle of the day with bad news. It is possible that Maura told the supervisor that a death had occured in the family, as this is the excuse that Maura used to get out of school for a week.

Was Maura under some kind of pressure, something she may have placed on herself. Many of the questions asked and pondered will go unanswered
and it appears that she disappeared off the side of the road.

There is no question that something dramatic was going on in Maura's life, she appears to be on a mission, unpresidented in her life before that moment. Something happened, it is not every week you knock off Nursing School, it is quite an accomplishment to get a week off, normally this requires death certificates. Am surprized she was given a whole week off for an Aunt, as normally it is only two days for peripheral relatives.

Given the short time frame that Maura went missing, did someone strike Maura with a car at that point, where the dogs traced her scent to, did they then offer her help and realize latter, that she was hurt badly and they/he would be blamed so they /he murdered her.If this was the case, there should have been some evidence of tires braking, skid marks, foot tracks. It seems that if Maura had been standing on the side of the road that night that her foot tracks should have been able to be followed. Since her scent disappeared on the road near Mr. Atwood's house, did the police follow up on tracing her foot steps at the time, Maura should have left some tracks, there was new fallen snow? These tracks should have been followed? .

The list of suspects, all those leaving their houses in the area, or public place shortly before the hour of seven oclock, all those people just passing through this slippery area in the dark on a country road in the middle of winter. Those who may have come upon the area where the accident occured, those who live in the vacinity of where Maura was last scented by the dogs. Since it is reported that usually only about three cars pass by in an evening, that might cut the suspects down somewhat.
Anyone in the area who had damage to their cars would be people of interest, especially those people living close by the scene of the accident.

There are likely multiple persons of interest living in the area who may be suspects, it seems that something has been overlooked, that Maura may not have gotten very far away from where she was reported missing. If the person came apon the scene of the accident and Maura was kidnapped, there is a good possiblity that he would live in that area.

Those who reportedly were at the scene, shortly before, during and after the accident scene need to be requestioned. Was the reporting time of the accident correct? How soon was the next person on the scene of the accident? Do we have any eyewitness account to confirm what the bus driver says happened, that he left Maura at the scene of the accident? What time was the sighting of Maura until the time the police arrived, it is reported some places as a few minutes and some places as much as 10 minutes? Did anyone else arrive at the scene before the police did, was there no one who came along the road in those 10 minutes.

If the person who kidnapped Maura came behind Atwood and left before the police, there would be very little time to force Maura into a vechicle, Maura would have put up a fight if she had to get into a car against her will. One would think that there would be evidence of sometype of a scuffle.

From the last reported sighting of Maura to the time the police arrived at best is only 10 minutes. Considering the weather and darkness at that time of day, not allot of people were likely out trying to pick someone up on the side of the road.
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRIAN MCGRORY
Where could Maura be?
By Brian McGrory, Globe Columnist, 3/2/2004

The mystery continues to deepen around Maura Murray, the nursing student who vanished in New Hampshire three weeks ago after she slammed her car into some trees on a dark, rural road.

Investigators have determined the origin of an unusual telephone call that Murray received a few nights before she fled the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. The conversation upset her so much that she had to be escorted from her job to her dorm room.

The call, according to UMass police Lieutenant Robert Thrasher, came from one of Murray's two sisters. But Thrasher said police have yet to receive an explanation of what was so upsetting.

Yesterday, Fred Murray, the girls' father, said he was told that Maura's sister called her to talk about a "monstrous" fight with a boyfriend. "But I don't think that would upset her all that much," Murray said.

The more details are revealed, the more baffling the case becomes, police acknowledge. Yesterday, Thrasher said that Maura had fastidiously packed all her belongings into boxes before she left school, even removing the art from her dorm room walls. Meanwhile, one UMass friend has seemingly withheld information from police, saying she didn't want to get Maura "in trouble."

UMass investigators, who have interviewed dozens of potential witnesses and combed through Murray's computer, shared an in-depth timeline that preceded the disappearance. Murray received the call on Thursday evening, Feb. 5. On Saturday, Feb. 7, Maura and a girlfriend had dinner with Fred Murray, who was visiting Amherst. Afterward, the father returned to his hotel, and the two young women attended a campus party.

At 3:30 a.m. Feb. 8, Maura crashed her father's new Toyota into a roadside post. She told her father about the accident later that morning. Just after midnight on Monday morning, Feb. 9, she conducted a MapQuest search of the Berkshires and Burlington, Vt., on her personal computer.

At 3:40 p.m. Monday, she withdrew $280 from an area ATM, then stopped at a liquor store. Surveillance cameras at the bank machine and in the store show that she was alone.

Maura was next seen at 7 p.m. in the White Mountains hamlet of Haverhill, N.H., an area where she had hiked and camped with her father. Schoolbus driver Butch Atwood came across her car in an embankment, he said, and stopped to ask if she needed help.

When she declined, he drove the 100 yards to his cabin and summoned police. By the time authorities arrived seven to 10 minutes later, she was gone. Her bank card, credit cards, and cellphone have been dormant since.

Authorities are exploring four scenarios, all of which they say contain flaws. Least likely is that she committed suicide. She left no note. Her grades were excellent. Her medical records showed no issues, and her relationships appeared sound. One investigator characterized her ongoing e-mail exchange with her boyfriend, an Army lieutenant in Oklahoma, as "sappy."

Second unlikeliest is that, intoxicated, she ventured into the woods and was overcome by the elements. But dogs couldn't trace her scent, there were no footprints in the fresh snow, and helicopters equipped with heat-seeking devices were no help.

Third is that in the brief window of time, she was picked up by someone who abducted or killed her. But authorities believe the odds of a violent criminal coincidentally coming across her on the rural road are as remote as the location itself.

Fourth is that she was picked up by a passerby, taken to a bus station, and fled the area, possibly with little idea of the anguish she has left behind.

This may have started innocently, with a confused young woman needing a break from the pressures of student life. But it isn't ending well. Maura, if you're alive, if you're able, come home.

And if she's not, there's someone, somewhere who has some idea of what happened that night.

/quote
the mystery surrounding who the phone call was from that was so upsetting is presumed to be the sister. There may possibly have been more than one phone call, someone else who may have been upsetting Maura?
peripeteia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems brutally apparent that Maura never really likely ever left the scene of the accident well, not within a 100 feet. Perhaps even less, did Maura have an accident trying to surve away from someone, say someone coming out of a driveway? What if someone intentionally hit Maura, saw her at the store, perhaps where Maura may have stopped to examine a map, perhaps never ventured inside, it would be about time for a bathroom break. Say someone follows Maura, and hits her intentionally and kidnapps her. Who is to say that the bus driver did not get in an accident with Maura, or the person across the street?

From the information which I have been able to glean off the bill board,
at www.mauramurray.com, that without anyone coming forward and saying it, it appears that Butch was the only one to see Maura. It is confusing, there are no descriptions of anyone seeing maura other than the eye witnesses, Butch and the Engineer who allegedly spotted Maura on the roadside heading east on the 112, five miles from the accident.

There are a few things out of synch here, Butch goes home, tells his wife, phones the police, and goes back to his bus and keeps an eye on the road, why did he not then go back to the accident , later he drives around looking for Maura? Confusing, he leaves her at the scene of the accident, and he is the back of the bus looking for something while she disappears almost next to where he was. This would be very close to where Maura's scent stopped?!

The neighbours who live almost infront of the accident called police and they stated that they arrived in a few minutes.

No where can I find anyone else but Butch giving a description as to seeing Maura, perhaps the media just never picked up on this or else Butch is the only one who saw Maura.

The second witness, the Engineer/construction worker who I guess has told three different stories of his sighting of Maura, walking, running, and dunking in the bushes. Anyway, I stated that his testimony was suspect as how did we know this was not an alibi for Atwood, as he could be a friend or neighbour and as the evidence is showing, Atwood may have been the only person to see Maura, or at least the last...and

This Buddy the Construction Worker who sighted Maura walking down the road, and who had difficulty remembering this when questioned by the police and an investigator, because of confusion around the dates that Maura went missing, he did not think that these were connected the accident and missing woman and the woman rushing down the highway in the wilderness at night in the dark.....alone! Larger than life he, lives directly across the street from Atwood?!!! At the sight near where Maura was last seen.

If someone picked up Maura in the few minutes between when Butch last saw her and the police arrived, and if her scent was at the end of his driveway, and atwood is in the back of the bus when the police arrive, he should have been able to see if anyone picked up Maura, at least a car stopping.

The construction worker lived directly across the street, what if he was backing up and ran over Maura? Finding out that this construction worker lives directly across the street from Atwood and 100 feet from the accident. This guy has to be a hermit, because everyone would be talking about this women taking off from the scene of the accident and having gone missing. At the store, at the here and at a there? Everyone would be talking about this, someone had to have told him it was infront of his house....well he had to have known on the 15th when he was first questioned (Feb) Why didn't he come forward with this information, the girl went missing right in front of his house......!!!!!!

It is very possible that Maura could have walked on the Construction Worker's, property seeking cover and a telephone. Hid there because the owner was allegedly not home. She didn't like the look of Atwood, so who is it you are likely to try next? The first house you come to, and that would have been the Construction Worker's. Then the place was a trailer, now it is a new house!!!

Seems like the neighbours are acting mighty strange, there is no proof that Maura was headed down the North Woodstock road, there has been no more sightings of her since the accident. It would have been impossible for Butch not to have seen a car stop for Maura if she was headed down the 112, judging from the pictures on line on lauramurray's bill board. They would have had to have had their lights turned off for Butch not to see this.

I think that the boys have to step up to a polygraph, the stories just are geling 100 percent. With the evidence at hand, there is nothing to suggest Maura made it further afield than the accident. Perhaps some private properties in the area need to be searched???
peripeteia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the information in this post was taken from
www.mauramurray.com on the bulletin board.

There is no evidence that takes the investigation away from the accident scene. There seems to be a problem with the time line, posted as 7 and 7:30? When Butch Atwood, allegedly, arrives on the scene of the accident but he does not see the accident. He comes upon it while Maura is still in the car, one report he is on the bus the other he is walking? Regardless, Butch returns to his house, sees some cars drive by, tells his wife, calls 911, returns to his bus which is parked on the side of the road, very near the sight where the scent of Maura is lost by the dogs, minimal distance away. Just across the road from his house and the buses are parked on the side of the road.

It is alleged that Maura disappeared in minutes, Butch says that the police arrived in about 10 minutes. As far as I can determine, Butch is the only witness who it is reported to have seen Maura? Butch was allegedly in the back of his bus when the police came by. IT is reported that the neigbhours in view of the accident heard an acceleration of a car then a bang. Called 911 and the police arrived in a few minutes. No one is said to have seen the actual accident. The car was going in a west bound direction in an easterly lane, and stuck in some snow banked at the side of the road. It was reported some man was seen by the neighbours in her car smoking a cigarette before the police arrived, presumably these were the same people who saw there had been a car accident on the road infront of their house but did not get out to look. Wonder if Butch or the Construction worker smoke.

It is unclear whether the neighbour's closest to the accident ever actually saw Maura. Wine was/is allegedly all over the car, red wine, there is a cup with the remains of red wine found out side the car. Odd that if Maura was worried about being caught drinking and driving that she would have left this piece of evidence. Since it was 10 minutes before the police arrived after Butch saw her on the road, then Maura would have had plenty of time to attempt to clean up the alcohol and at least take the drinking container with her. Odd that Maura would leave her jewelery behind, even if the car windows were locked.

The car seems to have had minimal damage, and it seems that the car had not been used for three weeks prior to this trip. What is clear is that Maura's scent was lost infront of a Construction Worker, who later reports that he saw a woman of Maura's description hurrying down the road, walking down the road, or ducking in and out of the trees...yes three versions of his sighting. It seems clear that he saw Maura, but did he see Maura where he says that he saw her, like down the 112 heading East near the 116. This man does not come forward until April 29th, and yet he had a visit by an investigator and the police on Feb 15 and 19 respectively . He allegedly did not report this sighting as he had the dates confused when the accident happened. This seems difficult to grasp, as the accident occured right by his place. This construction worker owned a trailer at the time, and now has a new house built on the very site of his trailer!

Regardless of whether the dates were mixed up or not, he had to have heard in the hood, that there had been an accident and the girl vanished into thin air, right in front of his house. Now this seems then a little surprizing, considering there would be no way not to know that the accident had occured right under his nose, infact, likely the tow truck was there by the time he arrived home, likely at 10 or quarter after 8 on the night of the 9th.....
peripeteia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERMONT STATE POLICE
NEW HAMPSHIRE STATE POLICE
PRESS RELEASE

CASE #: 04A201455

Date: Tuesday June 8, 2004

Incident/Violation: Brianna Maitland
Missing Person Investigation
Montgomery Vermont

Maura Murray
Missing Person Investigation
Haverhill New Hampshire

MULTI-AGENCY CASE REVIEW MEETING

For the better part of this day the Vermont State Police, the New Hampshire State Police, and the FBI, met at the VSP Barracks in St. Albans Vermont to continue to review the Brianna Maitland and Maura Murray Missing Person cases. This is a cooperative effort between these law enforcement agencies that has been ongoing since the beginning of these investigations. The lead investigative agencies; the New Hampshire State Police and the Vermont State Police, have concluded at this time that there is no connection between these cases. It is also important to reiterate that there is also no connection whatsoever between these Missing Person cases and the Whitney Homicide case from last week in Lamoille County. “There is no serial killer on the loose in the area” stated Captain Bruce W. Lang, Chief Criminal Investigator of the VSPs’ Bureau of Criminal Investigation. The Captains’ remarks were in reference to apparent speculation in the area media recently with regard to the three cases.

Special Agent D.J. Corbet of the Burlington Vermont office of the FBI participated in the joint agency meeting. SA Corbet reiterated that the FBI has been involved with both missing person investigations since the onset of each. The FBI has offered several resources and continued support to the two state police agencies heading these cases and will continue to do so in the future.

The State Police in both Vermont and New Hampshire continue to seek the public’s help in providing factual information and tips relevant to either the Maitland or Murray cases as the efforts continue to locate these missing women.

A synopsis of the 3-month investigation in into the disappearance of Brianna Maitland is as follows:

Lt. Thomas M. Nelson, BCI Commander for A Troop North at St. Albans released the following synopsis if the investigative actions taken in the Maitland case to date:

Brianna Maitland Age 17 (DOB 10-08-86) of Franklin Vermont was last seen at her place of employment, the Black Lantern Inn in Montgomery Vermont on March 19, 2004. Brianna left work in her vehicle at 23:20 hours (11:20 PM) on that date. Maitland’s car was found the next day (20th) with its back end connected to, after having struck, an abandoned farmhouse on Rte #118, a short distance from work. Bruce and Kellie Maitland reported Brianna as a missing person on March 23rd. Brianna had left high school and previously been reported as a runaway by her father in 2003. Before disappearing on the 19th she had not been living with her parents for several months, living with friends and recently staying with one of them at that friend’s house in Sheldon, VT. The investigation has shown that Brianna Maitland had made unhealthy life style choices in her life prior to her disappearance. Specifically she had become involved in the world of illegal drugs in the area where she lived. Her association with people involved in this activity is an area of focus for the investigators.

Shortly after the Bureau of Criminal Investigation division became involved with this case on the 25th, it has been handled with a major case emphasis such as that given to homicides and other major criminal incidents. Numerous law enforcement agencies and resources have been utilized in the investigation, such as those in the following list:

SUBJECT INTERVIEWS:

· 61 individuals have been interviewed, some of them multiple times.

COURT ORDERED SEARCHES / ACTIONS:

· 1 search warrant has been conducted at the residence of a person known to Brianna and believed involved in illegal drugs. This resulted in the confiscation of 4.5 grams of crack, and the identification of 2 firearms. One subject has been ordered into District Court to face criminal charges and this case is pending.

· 6 subpoenas for telephone records have been requested through Vermont District Court for records. The records to be reviewed for possible leads.

· 7 persons who know Brianna Maitland were subpoenaed to testify under oath before a Vermont District Court Judge.

FORENSIC SCIENCE & EVIDENCE GATHERING

· The Vermont Forensic Laboratory Crime Scene response team has conducted a Forensic analysis on the Maitland vehicle.

· The FBI Behavioral Sciences Unit has been consulted.

II. An overview of the Law Enforcement Agencies Involved in the Brianna Maitland Missing Person Investigation
· FBI
i. Behavioral Sciences Unit Quantico
ii. VICAP
iii. Burlington Field Office

· New Hampshire State Police
i. The lead and supervising detectives on the Maura Murray missing person case have been consulted.

· New York City Police Department
i. VICE unit
ii. 22nd Precinct Queens
iii. Police Headquarters

· Montreal Police
· Lawrence Ma. Police Department
· Mass. State Police Northampton
· U.S. Marshals Service
· U.S. Attorney’s Office Burlington
· DEA
· Burlington Police Department

· Vermont State Police
i. Uniform division St. Albans Barracks
ii. Intelligence Unit
iii. Search and Rescue Team
iv. K-9 unit
v. Scuba Team
vi. Polygraph Unit
vii. Vermont Criminal Information Center
viii. Northern Vermont Drug Task Force
ix. Vermont Forensic Laboratory

· Vermont Department of Corrections - Probation and Parole
i. St. Albans office
ii. Burlington office
iii. Newport Office
III. Other Agencies contacted or otherwise utilized in the case:
· Vermont Social & Rehabilitative Services Department
· National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
· National Center for Missing Adults
· National Crime Information Center (NCIC)
· Vermont Air National Guard (Helicopter)
· Canadian Missing Children’s Network
· Champlain Valley Crime Stoppers
· Klaas Kids Organization
· Americas Most Wanted Website
· Carole Sund/Carrington Memorial Award Foundation

Anyone with information on the Brianna Maitland Missing Person case is urged to contact either Vermont State Police Detective Sergeant Glynn or Detective Lieutenant Nelson at the St. Albans Barracks #802-524-5993

Lt. John Scarinza is the “F” Troop Commander of the New Hamsphire State Police. He and Detective Sgt. Bob Bruno also of Troop “F”, participated in the meeting. Lt. John Scarinza released the following synopsis of the Maura Murray Missing Person Investigation conducted by his department:

Maura Murray Missing Person Investigation
St Albans, Vermont
June 8, 2004

On Monday, February 9th at approx 7:30 pm, Maura Murray, a University of Massachusetts College Student was involved in a single vehicle accident on Rt. 112 in the town of Haverhill, NH. When Haverhill Police arrived at the scene approx 8-10 minutes later they found the vehicle locked with no one around.

To date an extensive investigation has been conducted into the disappearance of Maura Murray. The following information has been learned.

On Saturday Feb 7th Maura spent the evening out with her father and friends at a local brew pub. Later that evening, in the early morning hours of Sunday the 8th of February, Maura was involved in a single vehicle accident in the town of Hadley, Mass. She was driving her fathers’ new car at the time of the accident, and struck a set of guardrails causing approx 10,000 dollars damage to the vehicle.

By Monday morning, Feb. 9th Maura had packed up all her belongings in her dorm room at U-Mass, putting everything neatly in boxes and putting all the boxes on her bed along with a personal note* she had recently received from her boyfriend. She went on the Internet and looked up directions and overnight accommodations in the Bartlett, NH area as well as Burlington, VT area. She withdrew most of her money from her personal bank account. She sent e-mails to her supervisor at work as well as a college professor saying she would be absent from work and school for a week due to a death in the family.

There was no death in the family.

She did not tell her family, her friends or her classmates that she was planning to leave school for the week.

She left Massachusetts at approx. 4:30 PM in the afternoon of February 9th, 2004

At approx. 7:30 pm Maura was involved in a single vehicle accident on Rt. 112 in the town of Haverhill, NH. This accident was the second accident she had had in three days. The vehicle she was driving at the time of her second accident was also her father’s car, one that he had loaned to her to use while at school.

Very shortly after the accident had occurred, a passerby stopped and offered assistance. Maura seemed to be uninjured, and refused assistance, and stated that she had called Triple-A to come tow the vehicle. In fact there was no cell phone coverage in that area and Triple-A was never called.

When the passerby stated that he was going to call local law enforcement to come and assist, Maura pleaded with him not to call the police.
Investigators are also aware of some additional stresses that were occurring in Maura’s life at the time of these events to include a difficult long distance relationship with her boyfriend in Oklahoma.

At the accident scene in Haverhill, there were no signs of any struggle, or any other evidence, which would indicate that a crime had been committed.

At the time of Maura’s disappearance, there was approx. 2 ½ feet of snow on the ground. Searchers were able to easily distinguish deer and moose tracks in the area, and the snow cover greatly assisted the searchers in eliminating possible area’s where Maura could have traveled off of the main roads in the area. The snow greatly aided the search from the air, also due to the fact that any person who would have wandered off the road and into the woods would have left a trail that would readily be seen from the air.

To date, there have been 5 air searches with the New Hampshire State Police Helicopter.

There have been searches with Bloodhounds or K-9 search and rescue teams in the area surrounding the accident site on at least 4 separate occasions.

The area in and around the accident scene has been extensively searched on the ground. This effort has been co-coordinated by the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, which is charged with all search and rescue efforts in New Hampshire.

State, local and Federal law enforcement agencies have been involved in the investigation into the disappearance of Maura Murray.

Investigators believe that Maura was headed for an unknown destination and may have accepted a ride in order to continue to that location.

Investigators are hoping to speak with anyone who may have given Maura a ride sometime after 7:30 pm on Feb 9th in or around the Haverhill, NH area. Also, if anyone has any personal knowledge of why Maura was leaving school, where she was headed, or what her intended destination was, this information would be extremely helpful to assist investigators in locating Maura.

Based upon the evidence gathered to date, New Hampshire State Police investigators strongly feel that the disappearance of Maura Murray does not have a common link with the investigation into the disappearance of Brianna Maitland in Vermont.

We continue however to work with our counterparts in the Vermont State Police, and local and federal law enforcement in our effort to locate both of these missing young women.

Anyone with information regarding the disappearance of Maura Murray is urged to contact the New Hampshire State Police at #603-846-3333

Auth: Lt. John K. Scarinza, Commander, Troop F
peripeteia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Police Need to Review Maura's Disappearance Reply with quote

Helena: I'm writing this letter with the hope and spirit of Thanksgiving, that the police will read this post.

It is possible that Maura skidded off the road and hit the snow bank, stalling her car, this too would expain the information Sharon has of the car accelerating AFTER the crash. Conceivable Maura might not have not determined her destination and decided to turn into Swiftwater and check it out. On checking it out she returned to head back to Hwy. 302 and was headed to the next town Bath, until she found a place she might like, head up to Dartmouth College. It is possible that she had the accident and someone hit her, front on while she was in the road, perhaps not hard, just enough to deploy the airbags, It would be hard not to miss a car stuck partially in the road. In the news it was reported that the accleration was heard and then the crash. This latter statement would make more sense of someone stricking Maura.

Perhaps Maura was struck by someone who was drinking and driving, and her disappearance is a coverup, perhaps there was a motive of something different. The question really is, who had the opportunity???? Perhaps the motive will never be known but I think that examining the evidence, collecting new evidence, the air bag non-deflation, the black box from GM airbags can be downloded and the car forensically analysed to see what evidence remains to be glean from the car. The wine stains on the car should indicate if Maura was sitting in the seat when the wine was spilt. The witness all need to be reinterviewed.

The construction worker who did not report the accident until April 29th after already being questioned twice in recent history after the accident and reported that he saw nothing and knew nothing. He left work at 7pm and had opportunity to be at the scene at 7:29 when the accident occured. He had not returned to his home, by the time the police or tow truck left, at least not reported by the construction worker or the police. The construction worker could have been at the scene, left and came back later, after the police left. What is his alibi?

Butch Atwood was at the scene and the only person who got a close view of Maura, he alleges to have seen the airbags still deployed, only being able to see Maura's lips when he got out of the car and shone the flash light into the car.

Faith Westman the other neighbour does not appear to see Maura after Butch left in his bus!?

There is the descrepencies in Butch's statement of what he did next!

What we do know is that Butch was in the bus at some point, at least when Constable Smith arrived. Butch left the scene of the accident, twice, he could have left with Maura on the Bus? Where close by could either of these neighbours to the accident have taken Maura? I'd figure that it has to be about in a 5 mile/5 minute driving range. One of the times Butch drove off to search for Maura he was gone 15 minutes? When Butch returned State Trooper Manohan was at the scene. Was Constable smith still there? They searched for footprints into the woods. What is Butch's alibi, what time did he come into tell his wife about the accident? What did he do after the police left. How long was Butch gone on his searches, did he take the bus?

The other persons at the accident scene are the Westman's, they should be interviewed to discern if she saw Maura was staggering, was Maura seen after Butch left, did Butch remain on the bus the whole time, how long was he in there, could she see into the bus, what did she see at the accident site? Who came along afterwards? Tell us everything you saw and heard that night.....

The police have to see that they have overlooked a number of things, such as Maura leaving valuable jewelery in her car, when does that EVER happen? Maura left her pj's and tooth brush and brush, how often did Maura do this, I'd bet not too often. Why leave them behind, they occupy such little space. Alledeldy Maura, takes the liquor, she may have not had her lights on, or flashers, something had to be awlfully the matter for Maura to have forgotten to do this; then she refuses help and gets in the next car that comes alone, she then sometimes after is seen joggs five miles down the road. Leaves her gloves behind.

These occurences contribute and add up to the FACT that Maura did not willingly disappear. Someone caused Maura to disappear!!!!! Someone very close by! There are two persons of interest at the scene.

Possibly also the Westmans, however this seems unlikely as no one reported seeing them leaving their house, nor did the police report this? No one reported seeing Maura walk anywhere away from the accident. The foot tracks were traced, reportedly by Atwood, saying that he came back after searching the area by vechicle, and assisted law enforcement in searching for tracts into the woods. Surely the tapes which the TV Stations played of the K-9 dog tracing Maura's scent from the scene of the accident is invaluable in descerning the evidence of Maura's scent last being traced to the end of Butch Atwoods driveway.

Pardon me for stating the obvious, Butch lives on one side of the driveway and the construction worker lives on the other side where Maura disappeared from!

Police please, review the evidenceof Maura's disappearance, with an open mind. Help those who love Maura dearly to discover what happened to Maura on the 112E HWY. the night of Feb. 9th....2004 at about 7:30 pm? There is no evidence that anyone stopped to pick Maura up, not that anyone saw or that she walked anywhere but to the foot of Atwood's driveway. There is clearly evidence to suspect foul play in Maura's disappearance.

This is simply based on the evidence at hand available to the public here on this forum and in the media. If this case were investigated properly evidence might suport the suspicions of the family and the public that Maura came to harm by means of foul play at the scene of the accident.

/quote

I wrote this on www.mauramurray.com These are a few of my thoughts and many of the collective thoughts of the family and fellow posters on the family's forum. The problem is that Maura is still missing, and many of the conculsions that the police have arrived at, either Maura was picked up, or succombed to the elements, or ran away do not reflect the evidence and statements of the witnesses.
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Update: 20/20 News Show - Jan 6th Maura's Case Reply with quote

http://www.caledonianrecord.com/pages/top_news/story/3b220200e

New Efforts Mounted To Find Maura Murray
TV Program To Highlight Missing Woman's Case
By GARY E. LINDSLEY, Staff Writer
Wednesday December 21, 2005

NORTH COUNTRY NEW HAMPSHIRE
A network television program is going to highlight the case of a young Massachusetts woman who disappeared nearly two years ago in Haverhill, N.H., after she was involved in a minor car crash.

Maura Murray, a 22-year-old nursing student at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, was last seen by a school bus driver after her black Saturn crashed on a sharp left hand curve on Route 112 near the Weathered Barn, Feb. 9, 2004. She disappeared before police arrived.

The television program "20/20," which airs on ABC, will highlight Murray's disappearance on its Jan. 6 show, according to Sharon Rausch, the mother of Billy Rausch, Murray's fiance.

Rausch said she and her son were flown to ABC headquarters in New York, Dec. 7 for two days. They were interviewed from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. She said Fred Murray, Maura's father, was interviewed in Wells River, Vt., and at the site of the crash.

Donna Hunter, an assistant producer for "20/20," told Rausch "20/20" staff have been following Murray's case for awhile, according to Rausch.

The TV show's interest in Murray's case has been welcomed by Rausch, her son and Murray's family.

"My greatest hope is she is living and we will find out," said Rausch.

ABC News could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Rausch is encouraged that John Healy of Warner, N.H., and other retired law enforcement officers are going to investigate Murray's disappearance.

Healy, who retired as a lieutenant after 19 years with the New Hampshire State Police, said he has 10 volunteers from New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Vermont who will be taking part in the investigation.

Those volunteers include retired police chiefs and detectives who now are licensed private detectives.

"We want to make sure these cases never die," said Healy.

Healy met Murray's relatives at a training session put on by the Molly Bish Foundation. Molly Bish was abducted on June 27, 2000, from Comins Pond in Warren, Mass., where she worked as a lifeguard. Molly was 16 years old. The search ended June 9, 2003, when Molly's body was found just five miles from the family's home.

The foundation helps with cases involving missing children.

"We don't have a game plan yet," Healy said. "First thing is to nail down the time [she disappeared]. Right now, we are just trying to separate fact from fiction."

Statistics, he said, will play a large part in the way they will conduct their investigation.

Healy said nationally, statistics show if someone is harmed, their body is usually left within five miles of where they disappeared.

He and his team will utilize topographical maps and compasses to conduct a search within five miles of the crash scene.

They will visit Haverhill in January and February and drive along the area's roads to learn where someone might feel safe while dropping off a body. That information will be entered into a GPS system. Then, during warmer weather, searches will be conducted using search dogs.

The team will also look at Murray's cell phone bill and the last 20 to 30 calls in an attempt to determine what was going on in Murray's life before her disappearance.

According to Healy, STALK Inc., a team of profiling professionals, has also offered its services to help find Murray.

"Our hearts won't let her go," Rausch said. "That is where my greatest hope is ... if she is alive, she is well. If she has run away, let us know she is well."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prayers for Maura and the Murray Family. Maybe this broadcast will bring this into the light. I hope all can view this-- if not, I'm sure I will update the transcripts if/when available.

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Investigators take missing woman's case Reply with quote

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060105/REPOSITORY/601050334/1001/NEWS01

Haverhill

Investigators to take missing woman's case
Student disappeared two years ago in N.H.

The Associated Press
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 05. 2006 8:00AM

A team of private investigators has agreed to look at the case of University of Massachusetts student Maura Murray, who went missing in New Hampshire two years ago and whose family has accused the police of doing too little to find her.

The Licensed Private Detectives Association of Massachusetts has agreed to work for free on the case, according to a member of Murray's family.

Murray was 21 when she disappeared on the night of Feb. 9, 2004, after she crashed her car into a tree in Haverhill.

"It's a real mystery," Thomas Shamshak, a member of the investigative team, told the Boston Herald. "Could Maura be alive? Yeah, I think the family would hope that she went someplace else and may be living. But there's also the possibility she's not alive."

Murray's family has exhausted searches of the wooded area where Murray disappeared, says Helena Murray, the wife of Murray's cousin.

They hired a psychic profiler and are suing the state of New Hampshire for access to evidence such as videotapes and accident reports. Her father, Fred Murray, has been highly critical of New Hampshire investigators and believes his daughter was the victim of foul play and may still be in danger.

The investigative team was recruited by the Molly Bish Foundation, formed by the family of the slain Massachusetts lifeguard. Helena Murray is hoping they bring some good news.

"We'll have more eyes, more hands, more ears," she said, "and we quite frankly don't know a lot about what the police did."

----------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this group can gather what LE did not! Again, let us hope the Murray family gets some answers to where Maura is.

GG)
peripeteia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presently Fred Murray, Maura's father has petitioned the courts for access to information in Maura's disappearance, it is frightful that a person has to use their own money to find out minimal information from the law enforcement in Maura's disappearance.

Hopefully, Fred will be successful in his pursuit of information. The group of retired dectective now involved in Maura's case should prove fruitful. So far the Murray's have not been able to move the investigation forward to determine what became of Maura. There are two person's of interest, in Maura's disappearance, they were the last known persons to see Maura alive. A grand jury needs to be called in order to have search warrants executed and have access to information not presently available to law enforcement at the present time. These individuals backgrounds need to be check, testimony of witnesses need to be gathered. There is certainly ample information available that the persons of interest in Maura's disappearance have not been totally forth coming.

New Hampshire is presently looking at legislation to have a common law, this is similar to a Canadian court of public enquiry. As American and Canadian Law are based on British common law, there should be a court of public enquiry in every state. This legislation is scheduled to become law next year in New Hampshire. It is unfortunate that presently this is not available to all AMERICAN'S. If it was so, Fred Murray and others in similar situations would not have to use his own resources in order to seek justice.
rd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw coverage on Maura on Nancy Grace tonight. The father Fred was on there, talking about the lawsuit.

I've reviewed the information we have again, including my take on it early on. It hasn't changed.

If I were one of the two men who called police with info on sighting Maura and read this thread, I would sue this board, and I own it, so that's saying something. My apologies go out to both men. I'll rectify with some facts here.

The father posted that he thought she was only leaving school for a couple of days, but Maura had packed everything in her room, including taking artwork off the wall.

The father said she only took $280 with her, but he didn't answer my question as to whether that was most of the money in her account or not. Makes all the difference in the world to take all the money you can get or just a portion of it as the father implied with only $280.

Also taken with her was jewelry. That's not indicative of a casual, short getaway.

I asked early on if the police had looked into who called Maura on Thursday that left her so shaken. They say it was from her sister. And there was nothing of substance to the call?

It would be interesting to know how conclusively the police know it was her sister calling, and only her sister with possibly a call from someone else not known. With cell phone records there would be little question, and the police said it was her sister who called.

Would Maura be faking a family emergency at that early stage? Possibly.

Reading the articles I see that the father covered up her accident two days earlier by saying there was a problem but it wasn't important. It has everything in the world to do with someone having another accident and not wanting a person coming by to call the police, pleading with him not call the police.

And he went down the road to his house and called both 911 and EMS, and for his trouble he is made a person of suspicion by some. He's had sleepless nights since then, he says. He should be proud of himself for helping as much as he did against her wishes.

But good people will lose sleep even when they have helped because they care. Could they have done more, knowing he had already intruded against her wishes? How many would have done even as much as he did?

The relationship with her fiancee was described in one report as troubled or something to that effect. No indication who told the reporter this, but would assume it was one of her sisters. Yet she sent an email to him saying everything was fine before she took off. What trouble, how recent and how serious? These kind of things are important, but clearly was another thing covered up if even remotely true.

After she ran off the road, disabling her car, she lied to the passerby that she called AAA (couldn't have, no cell phone coverage) and pleaded with him not to call the police. This was not stated on Nancy Grace, otherwise wouldn't have gone over too well.

Also not stated was that her backpack and liquor bottles were missing from her car, or that she appeared to be drunk. She could have just been staggered from hitting her head on the windshield and wine boxes broken in her car making her smell of liquor, so much easier to gloss over that very important part.

The construction worker who called police about sighting her a few miles away that night explained that he thought she disappeared on the 11th and didn't think the woman he saw two nights earlier could have been her. He discussed it with friends.

But when he saw another article on Maura's disappearance that said Feb. 9, he checked his records and saw he did return home that night and it was her. He called police immediately and told them what he knew. And for that he gets grief and suspicion. My thanks to him for doing the right thing despite that.

Also not stated on Nancy Grace was that a book was in her backseat about the mountains she was in bookmarked with a family photo on the chapter "Life or Death?". I mean, give me a break here. To say she's not suicidal is just refusing to face reality.

Now, whether she wanted to end her life or run away, or whether she's in serious trouble somewhere, it's important to find her and help her, even if all she wants to say is leave me alone. That's her perogative.

Should the police be forced to reveal what information they have to the family? I have posted often that they shouldn't be able to keep the family in the dark about what they are or aren't doing, and what they may have overlooked that others may see something in. Certainly that's been the case in Chandra's disappearance.

Even if the police have some info that involves someone in the family being the reason she took off, sitting on it and waiting for a body to show up someday should not be allowed.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: