www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roger Chiang(Joyce's brother)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blondie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-read that article you guys. It's the FBI AND the US attorneys office who is investigating and I'll almost guarentee that charges will be filed. It was reported as a theft, which is exactly what it is and somehow I wonder if he is tied to Joyce's death(murder) and maybe Chandra. We've always wondered if there is a connection.

How do we know that he and Joyce even got along? Maybe she was dating a Congressman also that might hurt his career.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's going to help his career, or the career that he had until he set up his personal slush fund. That was my thinking that with such an extensive investigation serious charges will be filed.

For all we know it may very well be why he had a career to start with with the DNC. I argue that Condit arranged for and ended Chandra's job with the BOP, and proving that would help to show premeditation of her disappearance.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we will begin to get some people who are willing to talk, if just about incidentals. It would seem better for many to talk, and say what little they know, than not to talk.

benn
blondie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we find any connection in Joyce and Chandra at all, with Roger and Chandra or anything at all? They are all from California. And so is Sven Jones and Condit and the other Congressmen that Joyce and Roger worked for, There has to be comething,

Roger the Fix-it man?
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how Roger Chaing came to organize the vigil, I think there was a picture on line of the vigil, which appeared in the news< Washington Post? Wonder if there was some connection between Roger and Chandra? Yes, did they know one another from California indeed?

For example did Chandra's detective sense compel her to be curious about Joyce's death? Too curious! Might Chandra have met Chaing through the University extension in Washington?

It seems somehow Chaing has sabbatoged his career? If the FBI don't investigate him for fraud or the insurance company for stealing 10 thousand dollars, he'll be lucky. Why throw away a brillant career? Wonder if he gambled? Why did Roger do this? I hope charges are pressed so that we can learn more, I mean Roger no harm, it is his karma for stealing the money! Blackmail does make sense if someone thought Joyce may have committed suicide or worse ...

I do not mean to point a finger at Roger, however there are now more sinister thoughts running through our heads, when we see a man throw away his integrity and trust and career for no apparent reason other than to get caught. Roger, such a smart person, one would think he would be way more clever and creative in stealing money, if it was money he was after?

Will see what I can find re picture and article about Roger holding the vigil for Chandra. Wonder if Roger is one of the persons who was questioned by the police early on in the case, as the police made reference to three persons taking polygraphs, and this is not counting condit.

Wonder if Joyce had and insurance policy and for sure she would have had death benefits from her work, and likely any loans she had would have been life insured? Wonder who benefited financially if anyone from Joyce's death? Of course if Joyce committed suicide then the insurance company would not pay, this certainly gives purpose to hiding suicidal deaths. The torn jacket suggests something more sinister, and we do not know if she was sexually assulted.

It has alway been dumfounding that it is thought that Joyce committed suicide? It is possible that Joyce did commit suicide and Roger tried to cover it up? It is likely that if Roger had information that might incriminate himself and career advancements, he might be motivated to hid information, as you have already mentioned Blondie?

We can only guess, sorry if this sounds so terrible if I find Roger looking suspicious. Isn't it curious that no one for one minute even considered that her brother might have something to do with his sister's disappearance, murder, obstruction of justice?
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote (roger is quoted in this article)

Roger Chiang's sister Joyce was killed two years ago. Her body was found in the Potomac River. The similarities between her case and Chandra's are eerie. Joyce Chiang was last seen alive at a Starbucks just four blocks from Chandra Levy's apartment. Also, both were from California.

Roger says, "The other similarities may be all physical. Height, weight, hair color, hair length."

And then there is the case of Christine Mirzayen, murdered in 1998. Her body found just minutes away from Levy's neighborhood. She too was a student from California on a summer internship.

Pat Brown is an investigative criminal profiler who specializes in homicides. She's poured over the evidence and her gut feeling is the three cases are not connected. But if there was foul play, she believes the criminal would have the following characteristics.

Brown says, "Perhaps someone who worked in the area, who had the ability to talk and be kind of social, and likeable. And maybe be able to talk on their level. So someone who has a reasonable amount of education."

Chandra has been missing for more than six weeks and police in D.C continue to treat this as a missing person's case. Some of the theories they are looking into: that Chandra was the victim of foul play, a suicide, that she chose to go into hiding, and even the possibility that she got amnesia.

Although he's not a suspect, Chandra Levy's congressman Gary Condit has hired an attorney. Reportedly to scrutinize potentially libelous media reports on the case.
http://extratv.warnerbros.com/dailynews/pop/06_01/06_13c.html
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home | National & World News Section July 27 - August 2, 2001

http://www.asianweek.com/2001_07_27/news_chandra.html

Search for Chandra Levy Reopens Wounds for Family of Joyce Chiang

Left: Joyce Chiang was found dead in the Potomac River in January, 1999. Right: Chandra Levy is still missing.

Brothers do not rule out a connection between the missing women
By Sam Chu Lin
When John Chiang, his brothers Roger and Robert, and their mother left for Washington, D.C., earlier this year, they anticipated an uplifting experience, a part of the healing process. Instead, an old nightmare resurfaced.

That nightmare began on Jan. 9, 1999, when their sister, Joyce Chiang, an INS attorney in Washington, D.C., disappeared. Three months later, her body was found in the Potomac River.

The healing process since then has included the creation of a scholarship award in Joyce’s honor. The Chiangs traveled to the capitol in early May to present the award at a National Immigration Forum dinner. It was there that the family first got word about another woman who disappeared from the D.C. area. Like their sister, she, too, was petite and had dark hair. As the Chiangs sat in their hotel room stunned, they heard her name: Chandra Levy.

“Our hearts just broke,” recounted Roger Chiang. “We knew some of the pain and feelings of anxiety that the Levy’s were feeling, not knowing where your loved one was.”

John Chiang, on his return to California, contacted Levy’s parents.

“I was sick in my stomach for the Levy family,” he said. “They asked that we do whatever we can to bring attention to Chandra’s story, to encourage people to contact the proper officials and to let them know about the people that were helpful to us. We did that.”

Roger Chiang, who lives in Washington, D.C., worked with Levy’s friends to help handle the press and participated in search efforts for the missing woman.

As the story of Chandra Levy and her relationship with Congressman Gary Condit, D-Calif., unfolded, stories about Joyce Chiang reappeared in the media and comparisons were made. John Walsh of TV’s America’s Most Wanted theorized a serial killer might be responsible for the women’s disappearances and their deaths.

Both are described as twenty-something, petite, dark-haired, smart and vivacious. The two also resided in nearby areas.

Joyce Chiang was student body president at Smith College and a member of the Board of Trustees of Georgetown Law School. She begun working for the Immigration and Naturalization Service after law school. Friends and family say she was a beautiful, out-going woman who was excelling in her career.

On Jan. 9, 1999, she disappeared at 9 p.m. after stopping at a Starbucks, nearby the apartment building where Levy lived. A search was launched, and reward money was offered. Her decomposed body was discovered a month later in April, but coroners were unable to determine the cause of death. The young woman was buried in California. The investigation continues.

Chandra Levy, 24, served as an intern for the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Her career was also on the rise. Levy was expected to return to Los Angeles and attend graduation ceremonies at the University of Southern California for her master’s degree.

Questions Never Cease
Both John Chiang and his brother Roger, who is the new API director for the Democratic National Committee, went on national television to answer reporters’ questions about their sister. Through speaking out, they hope to correct misinformation — in particular, a D.C. Police statement that their sister was a suicide victim.

Roger Chiang said that theory came from a police official who was not aware of all of the facts and evidence related to the case.

“I have actually met with Chief [Charles] Ramsey’s folks last week as well and asked them to reexamine the evidence in Joyce’s case, so that the statement can be cleared up,” he said, explaining that the D.C. Police were secondary in the investigation of Joyce’s disappearance during the height of the investigation. It is the FBI that has been in charge of the case.

“I am generally satisfied with the FBI,” Roger Chiang said. “I know that they have worked very hard on Joyce’s case. I know that [D.C. Police] don’t have all of the evidence and facts that the FBI has, and so for them to make statements such as ‘Joyce committed suicide,’ and ‘there’s no connection between the [Joyce and Chandra]’ is irresponsible.”

John Chiang also has critical words about the police department. Police investigators, he said, did not pursue certain leads as thoroughly as they should have. For example, he pointed out that there was an inscription discovered in an alleyway near his sister’s residence. It reads: “Good day, J.C.! May I never miss the thrill of being near you,” he said.

“When you have evidence like that and you have no response from the D.C. Police … and their default theory is suicide, it just smacks of insincerity and irresponsibility,” John Chiang said.

He added that “the same thing took place with Chandra Levy a few weeks ago. Like Joyce, they were saying Chandra was hiding or committed suicide. There was no evidence of foul play, so they were not going to take that approach.”

John Chiang has also called on the D.C. Police to reexamine the evidence in the FBI’s hands.

“The FBI strongly suspects foul play,” he said. “How do you have somebody who commits suicide, who is a scuba diver, who doesn’t have a mode of transportation, who is found eight miles away from where she lives?”

Remembering Joyce, Keeping Hope Alive for Chandra

With the disappearance of Chandra Levy in the media spotlight, the Chiangs are reminded of the tragic death of their sister. There is no closure.

“It’s devastating,” John Chiang said. “To have to relive this whole ordeal is incredibly painful. The kids are incredibly concerned about my mom. It’s like the weight of the world on her shoulders.”

Said brother Roger: “My mom’s spirit and religious faith have kept her strong during my sister’s disappearance and after that. The only sense of ending to anything was bringing my sister home and burying her near our father and not having that mystery loom over us.

“This has impacted the family beyond words, in so many emotional ways and levels that really can’t be described. The family has come together based on Joyce’s death to really find good things that we can do to remember Joyce.”

The family has used the collected reward money to establish several scholarships and awards in Joyce Chiang’s name at her alma mater and at the Immigration Naturalization Service. It is more important for them to talk about her giving spirit and her love for other people, than to speak about the possible capture of a suspect. With the passing of time, they know the trail may have grown cold.

Roger Chiang acknowledged the Chandra Levy story has “helped to propel Joyce’s story back into the media, but I don’t really care about that,” he said.

“What really needs to be the focus is — to find Chandra.”

Blondie seems the Chaing family was in Washington at the time that the news was announced. It is odd in this article there seems to be some recognition of chandra's name by the Chaing's, when it was announced in the news, but it does not really come out and say whether Chandra was known to any members of the family.

It is odd that John seems rather certain that the wording on the wall is about Joyce, had this been freshly painted?
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The message on the wall appeared three days after Joyce's death

Then in May of 2001, Chandra Levy's disappearance drew renewed media interest in Joyce. To many, similarities between the two were chilling. They both worked for a congressman at one time. Joyce worked for Representative Berman, who's office was adjacent to Representative Condit's. The two women lived within a few blocks of each other. Just three days after Joyce was last seen at the coffee shop a bizarre statement appeared on a nearby wall. It read: "Good Day J.C. may I never miss the thrill of being near you." Was this a cryptic message from Joyce's killer? Perhaps he targeted her in the neighborhood - and later spotted Chandra Levy in the same area when she arrived in town

http://www.unsolved.com/0206-Chiang.html
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHIANG: They sure did and I did that promptly and was ruled out and they were able to continue with the investigation.

This is an interview on CNN and this is chiang's response to the question whether he had been given a polygraph test.

Guess that likely rules out Roger...

j
blondie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peri - I agree with you on everything!!!!! Could he be the fix-it man?
peripeteia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blondie, I noticed your comment in an earlier post re: Mr. Fix-It! Roger would certainly have the brains for the job, and amongst the Asian population he must be considered a type of fix-it man, not necessarily illegal things, but he must be constantly fixing situations and problem solving with Asian Americans.

Roger would not be without influence in the Asian community, in fact, I imagine that he could make many things happen for better or worse. It does strike me as an anomoly that Roger would be so fool hardy in stealing money, his methodology seems incongrueous with his genius?

Perhaps Roger holds enough power that those in high places would not want to see him prosecuted and in order to keep a lid on anything that Roger could reveal in retailiation it would be best not to prosecute?! And that it would be prudent to let it all go by, in hopes that Roger would simply go away.

In the near future it will be interesting to keep a watch to see if Roger is prosecuted. I'm also very curious to know if the person who was accused of stealing money from Condit's account re: 30 gees that went missing which was being handled by one of Condit's firms who handled his campaign monies was charged. I do not believe that he was, but perhaps this did not make national news and therefore it remains unknown to me that the person involved in the embezzelment was prosecuted.

With all the power that Roger had or should have had, it seems he was unable to influence interest in what became of his sister, which is curious!? I would have made the police retract the statement of Joyce's death being a suicide, I'd had used all my power to vindicate my sister. Given that the FBI followed this case, one would think that Roger would have had some influence in having his sister's murder investigated? If Roger could do nothing, what does this say for the average plebian like us?

We never hear any clarification from Roger's comment about one of the police officers who knew nothing of Joyce's case when he reported in the news that Joyce may have committed suicide. It is odd that the police have never made a comment about what they think happened to Joyce, other than this statement that it may have been suicide!!!! Then again, perhaps living in the boonies on the other side of the continent might account for my lack of knowledge of what is printed in Californian newpapers about Joyce's death.

I'm profoundly interested in knowing if Chandra was aquainted with any member of the Chiang family, it sounds as if they were in the article I posted about the family hearing the announcement of Chandra missing!

The Levees would know if any of the Chiang's had been known to Chandra. Chandra absolutely would have been well informed about Joyce.
It is possible that Chandra could have easily known both Joyce and or Roger or the two other Chiang boys?!!!!!!

There is a possibility that the three murders of Californian interns in Washington are related. They all lived in proximity to one another, there are people who likely had no degrees of separation from Chandra and the other two interns. These women are all exotic looking, and are of different ethinicity, and religions, they are alike in that they are educated, beautiful, successful, and all had similar work, and traveled in similar circumstances and circles.

We have Joyce dying in Jan. 1999, 8 months later Christina, and 16 months later Chandra. It is interesting that these murders if connected have stopped. Has the person who was doing the killing moved out of Washington? These women likely were connected with the University of California programme of graduate studies in Public Administration in Washington. These women were all interns in public administration.

One would think that to travel in the same circles as these women, one would have to be attached to the University Public Administration, Intern programme, government employee of agent of the government, one would have to be very intelligent. As it appears that all three women could have been nabbed off the street, or that they were socializing with someone when they disappeared. For example, Chandra appears to have left her apartment, Christine and Joyce were killed on the way to their homes after socializing. All three women died in Parks.

There are other women missing from the same area, however they were not government interns. Zoch was murdered and she lives a short distance from Chandra, she fits the same description of being dark haired thin and, beautiful....there may be other women who are missing that have similar characteristics however, I cannot remember presently. Zoch died in her apartment building in the underground parking.

These murders are more alike than they are different, all appeared to have died violent deaths. Although the articles remaining by where Chiang went missing are odd, keys and rented movie etc? It is unimaginable that Joyce went into the park on such a cold night, certainly no way she went alone...just as there is no way Chandra went to Rock Creek Park alone on the trail off of a trail off a trail. It appears that Christina took the chance to walk through the woods, although it seems odd that she did this, as she was from a culture that women hardly walk alone, never mind through the woods on a short cut! This is all very odd!!
peripeteia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday, July 14, 2001

Condit Passes Lie Detector Test? [my stress, my question -- EC]

Anything a little suspicious? No, I don't mean with the story itself -- Am I echoing the Drudge Report? Actually, if you check my blogs, I've been on this story a long time -- and I live in the same neighborhood where Chandra Levy, Joyce Chiang and other victims whose assaults may or may not be related to this case.

I even learned from the staff here that Joyce and her brother Roger lived in my building at one time. Joyce was last seen just a block away from my favorite hangout, Kramerbooks & afterwords, A Café . If I squint a little outside my front door, I can see the bridge that crosses into Georgetown around 22nd & P Streets, NW, not that far from where passersby found Christine Mirzayan’s body in the Summer of 1998 around the 3600 block of Canal Road NW where she apparently died from blows to the head and was cast down a hill covered with ivy, high grasses, shrubs and little trees.

Police don't believe there are any connections between these crimes -- at least that's what they're saying to the press. Who knows what they might or might not disclose in the interests of their own investigative options? Anyway, I don't know whether it's a consolation to feel that this isn't the work of a serial killer. It could be good for Chandra Levy -- if she turns up alive somewhere. On the other hand, it is of little comfort to me that several people may be responsible for any harm to so many respectable young ladies who have such promising futures. If one has to ask, "Who could do such a thing?" doesn't one have to ask also whether it is a whole band of culprits committing crimes with impunity while nobody sees any of their activities? It may be news for a lot of people, but for me it's a neighborhood issue.
http://www.geocities.com/ecordell/blogger.html

/quote

this article is interesting in that it clearly points out geographically how close in proximity the murders of Chandra, Joyce and Christine were. The date of Christine's murder is 1998, so this occured before Joyce's murder, which I believe was in August. Joyce died then 5 months later in Jan. 1999, and Chandra, in May 2001.

What is interesting also is that we find out Christine's body was thrown down the side of a hill, as may have been chandra's body, dumped down the embankment off the trail. Joyce also may have died in a park or was dumped there afterwards. Very interesting. I wonder in Christine's case and in Joyce's case if it was determined if they died in the parks?
peripeteia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is better to say that this article details how close these women lived to one another, not necessarily the places were they got murdered, but it is all close enough to make one ponder at the similarities!!!!!
blondie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if DC police know about this latest thing with Roger. Something really does add up to me.
peripeteia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As reported 31 August 2001 by WJLA TV, Channel 7 (an ABC affiliate), Roger Chiang--whose sister's decayed corpse was found along a stony embankment on the Potomac River, three months after she had gone missing at 1:00 AM from a Dupont Circle-area Starbucks coffeehouse--was summoned to a meeting with DC police. There, in their first meeting since Ms. Chiang's disappearance in 1999, Assistant DC Police Chief Terrance Gainer also had the temerity and recklessness to state to Mr. Chiang that "there is no connection between your sister's death and the disappearance of ChandraLevy."

/quote

The first meeting Roger has with the police is quoted as being three months after Joyce went missing!

Just checked map quest and found that the Anatostia River is far from Starbucks. It is possible that Joyce jumped from the Bridge, but it does not explain how she got all the way over to where her belongings were found by the river. This seems very far fetched that Joyce walked there, took off her jacket and then threw herself in the river. Just found this description on line:

"A couple walking in Anacostia Park found Chiang's ID card from INS the next day. On January 21, 11 days later, her hooded jacket of green suede, keys, a Safeway shopper's card and a Blockbuster video card were found in a seldom traveled area of grass near the north gate of the Anacostia Naval Station south of Anacostia Park. The items seemed to be placed there for a purpose, maybe a hint as to where to find her.

However, she was not found until four months later by a canoeist going down the Potomac River. At 6pm Fairfax County, VA. Police retrieved her partly clad body from it's resting place laying face down on a rocky stretch of the shore. Although her body was very decomposed, there were signs of a struggle with her assailant." /quote

The cases of the three interns, all went missing from the same area. Dupont circle is not far from Canal Road where Christina was found. It is reported that Christina was beaten, Chandra had a contusion to her skull and it seems that Joyce has injuries as well.!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: