www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Defense of Dominick Dunne: For His Legal Counsel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
propria

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> Most of those questions would probably be ruled irrelevant as they don't pertain to the stories Dunne told. <<<

yes, and no ... i'd like to see dunne take the approach of proving that he was not the one who damaged condit's career, it was condit himself ... that would at least open the door to a much broader examination of scary gary's lifestyle and relationships. like i've said before, it's not going to be easy to shine the light of exposure on that deadly pervert, but the truth will eventually out, no matter how long it takes. when all is known, it will be the truth that will take condit down at the knees ... the hard part, at least for me, is not going altogether nutso from trying to be patient until the truth does manage to make itself known.

nanci
rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you and Rich are right, nanci. Sure, people want to ask Condit questions like the police or a grand jury should be doing. But Dunne's lawyers are not the grand jury, and they are limited to defending against the stories Dunne repeated.

Anything else will be ruled irrelevant, as it should be. The key will be getting the spotlight on investigators not asking the questions that Condit refuses to answer, or more importantly, finding out why.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condit testified, for example, that Levy never discussed getting married, never indicated any interest in living with him and never indicated that she had "feelings of affection" for him, Wood said.

You will only get more of the same of this. Answers will only come from people other than Condit.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is Linda Zamsky-Katz who can give some answers, and whom the DC Police and the media crowd in Washington did not seem much interested in listening to.

Also someone spread the rumor that the no ID rule was made up by Billy Martin. There are women who can witness about the no ID rule.

I looked for that 26 page statement by Judge Leisure at legalcasedocs, but they only had the first part of the case, 20 pages, which we have already seen. I was thinking if just that 26 page statement did not cost too much I might buy it.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let me know if you see that 26 page ruling come up on legalcasedocs, benn. I think you can also suggest that they add it. Thanks!

rd
benn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent in a request, rd. They already have part of the case.

benn
fallout

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few ideas for the defense...

Thinking about the jury in this case. New York juries are different in different sections of the city. Bronx juries are notorious for granting huge awards to people suing the city or corporations. Manhattan juries are a little more restrained but there is still that Lotto mindset.

But here's a memory from August 2001. I was working the night that Connie Chung interviewed Condit but snuck down to the cafeteria to watch. The place was packed with housekeepers and maintenance men. After the initial introduction the comments in the cafeteria turned into a din so loud that I couldn't hear the interview. Maybe forty or fifty people were shouting their opinions at the top of their lungs. It was like a lynch mob. Condit looked tired and strained to the limit. If a jury had been selected from this group of New Yorkers I wouldn't have given him any chance of winning anything, either criminal or civil.

But now its three years behind us. I don't know if I mentioned this but I may have seen Condit last month with a group of people (probably his lawyers). It was far enough away that I can't be sure but if it was him I can report that Condit has put on some weight and looks about ten years younger than the guy we saw in the Summer of 2001. His new relaxed and healthy appearance makes him look "less guilty". I've been keeping a camera handy since then.

If Dunne makes a weak appearance and seems confused during questioning there's a chance a Manhattan jury could award Condit some money.

If I were one of Dunne's attorneys I would point out to the jury that in the time period when Dunne made the statements there was a constant demand for more information about the case and that a reasonable person might feel that sharing speculative and questionable theories might help provoke a reaction that could lead to finding the missing victim.

It would also be similar to an amber alert concept to share all possible information with the public in order to inform potential witnesses that they may have seen or heard something that would help to find Chandra Levy. If the story that she was "drugged and put on a plane" were possibly true then sharing it with the public might lead to some mechanic or baggage handler suddenly remembering that he saw such a scene but didn't connect it with a crime until he heard Dunne's statements. I think this was Dunne's mindset at the time and as a Father of a murdered daughter he was especially sensitive to the possibility that what he was relating could be helpful.
fallout

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Court TV or Greta and Fox News cover this trial?

I think its important that they do. I'm getting the feeling that the reports we are getting about the progress of the trial are basically hand-outs or press releases from the court and that there is no real attendance at the hearings.

For some reason, though, I don't think they will cover it very closely. I think we're just going to get the final result and that it might even get settled before any questioning is made public.

I'm hoping the case gets started after New Years. I'll try to get in and relay what I hear if it makes it into the courtroom.

James
laskipper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent suggestions for the Dunne defense fallout!

As Benn suggests, Linda Katz could support the fact that Chandra was promised a future with Condit. Then, there is Sven. He was the closest to the matter. He told Chandra to back off when she planned to pressure Condit into honoring his commitment. He was concerned for Chandra due to the fact that he knew that she was pressing Condit and that it was dangerous for her to do so.

Sven also stated that Chandra didn't plan to back off.
rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can bet your bottom dollar Court TV and the like will cover this civil trial if Dunne doesn't settle, and I have seen nothing that would indicate they are anything but justified in what Dunne relayed to people, as fallout points out above.

Condit hasn't even answered questions yet, that's how far we are from a settlement. And since Dunne's videotaped testimony goes public, wait till Condit's videotaped answers go public.

All the press needs is some footage. They can't wait.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to be reading from the "real world" here again rather than
to just be reading the front page news.

I will probably put my foot in my mouth now, but I don't see how
Condit can win a lawsuit if he won't talk, and I still don't see how
he can talk, regardless of what the judge's orders say. Maybe there
will be a big discussion in court of whether or not Condit really
answered questions (after he gets another chance to answer questions)
and really said anything.

I read an interesting article in the not too long ago past that
mentioned the fact that none of the lawyers in a courtroom case are
under oath, the judge, the prosecutor, and the defense attorney. Right
or wrong that concept of lawyers in the courtroom seems to invite more
attention.

benn
jane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Benn, rd, skipper and James - good points - I think there's a lot in this observation by James:

If I were one of Dunne's attorneys I would point out to the jury that in the time period when Dunne made the statements there was a constant demand for more information about the case and that a reasonable person might feel that sharing speculative and questionable theories might help provoke a reaction that could lead to finding the missing victim.
rd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just told that there was a promo on Court TV just now for a show on Dunne on Wednesday at 8 pm. They had a little snippet of him talking about talking about Chandra's case and then being sued by Condit.

I have no idea what they will cover, but should be interesting.

rd
fallout

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys and Gals,

It also might not be a bad idea to get Klatz and Walsh up on the stand to talk about the "state of mind" of the parent of a murdered child. I know Walsh hasn't been a great help in this investigation but he certainly suffered as much as Dunne did. The jury needs to understand where Dunne is coming from in all this! And, am I crazy, did I forget to suggest that Robert and Susan Levy should also testify about the lengths a parent would go to find out where their missing child has gone!

James
jane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Walsh is too politically correct (in the sense of not wanting to go against powerful people) to step on any toes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: