www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives by Marilee Strong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives by Marilee Strong Reply with quote

I got "Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives" by Marilee Strong today (Jossey-Bass Wiley imprint, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7879-9639-0).

I don't know yet how many of the missing women cases covered here on justiceforchandra are written about in this book. I believe Chandra is not covered and Laci Peterson is.

I was interested in this book because of the psychological analysis done of men who murder their wives in a way that leaves them missing or an attempt to make it look like a stranger did it. That is what we deal with here everyday, the women who disappear and the silent ex's who made them disappear.

I will look forward to any insights Merilee Strong has on this and comment at some point during my reading of it.

I am looking forward to tying these insights into the results of the Cold case Investigative Research Institute's psychological profiling analysis of the Chandra Levy and Natalee Holloway cases being conducted this year, if any of it is released (see Cold Case Research Institute to take up Chandra's case).

All in all, Erased covers a much needed area in what is behind missing women.

rd

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

www.justiceforchandra.com home page
jane

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd, what do you think of this book? I haven't read it - only a brief excerpt - but it looks interesting.
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a very interesting read. I might have to try and stumble my way through it if you find it worth reading. We deal with the subject matter daily here.

What a shock to find Chandra not in the book.

Thanks Rd for drawing my attention to this. I have not heard of the book myself.

Good Weekend to you
Goz
rd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't started reading it yet, jane and goz. It's in my bookshelf, next up. I've been focusing on reading some technical books on web site security because I'm trying to bring up a web site server from home (and going through networking hell in the process) and understanding and defending against web site attacks is just unbelievably complicated.

(Of course if you're just running a package as most sites do like we do here with phpBB, the package authors and the web site host company like Nexcess for us deal with all that. But if you write new software and host your own it's on you.)

I will add comments on it here in this thread as I read through it. My understanding about Chandra not being in the book is that her case was not legally substantiated enough to lend itself to the theme of the book, that being men who murder their wives or significant others in ways that try to hide their involvement.

Of course I and others here and elsewhere think Condit does fit that profile, but without a conviction it isn't substantiated enough to add as psychological profiles of this type of murderer.

The same is true of all the other silent ex's here who have yet to be convicted. But understanding the many others who have been convicted may help deal with these silent ex's.

I'll add more as I get into it. Or hopefully others will be able to take a look at it and comment as well.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a powerful publisher's description of Erased. I will quote it here. We have seen this over and over in the cases of missing women.

P.S. any typos are mine.

rd

Jossey-Bass an Imprint of Wiley

Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
by Marilee Strong

Who are the Erased?

Investigator journalist Marilee Strong explains: "Erased women are truly silent victims. They cannot call out for justice. They cannot point a finger at their killer, whose true face they may have recognized only at the moment of their death."

Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives is about women who have been literally "erased" by the men they loved. Some have simply vanished, never to be seen again. Others have been found dead under mysterious but seemingly explainable circumstances - their deaths attributed to a "tragic" accident, an apparent drowning, suicide, or death by some senseless street crime. In fact, each was murdered by a husband or boyfriend then either made to physically disappear, her fate and whereabouts left an open-ended mystery, or the crime scene rearranged to point police away from the true killer.

Based on five years of investigative reporting and research into forensic psychology and criminology, journalist Marilee Strong reveals the truth behind the endless stream of "missing" women cases that have come to dominate the headlines since the highly publicized disappearance of Laci Peterson. Erased presents an original profile of a previously unrecognized type of murder: one that is not a "hot-blooded," spur of the moment crime of passion, as domestic homicide is commonly viewed, but a cold-blooded, carefully planned and methodically executed "erasure".

Even more disturbing, these eraser crimes are very often committed by men with no criminal record or history of violence whatsoever, men with highly functional and enormously successful lives up until the moment they kill the women, and sometimes children, they claimed to love. A surprising number who go undetected later kill a second wife or girlfriend, often repeating the exact same plan they used to commit (and cover up) their first murder.

In more than fifty chilling case studies, Strong examines the strange and complex psychology that drives these killers - from the real-life murder a century ago that inspired Theodore Dreiser's classic novel, An American Tragedy, to Scott Peterson. Erased also looks at how these men manipulate the legal system and exploit loopholes in missing persons procedures and death investigations, exposing how easy it can be to get away with murder if a killer is clever enough to cover his tracks.

About the Author

Marilee Strong is an award-winning journalist who specializes in the coverage of psychological and social issues. She is the author of A Bright Red Scream, the groundbreaking and internationally acclaimed book about the emotional aftermath of childhood abuse and trauma. Strong covered every day of the legal proceedings against Scott Peterson, and has commented on the case for MSNBC, FOX News, and Dateline NBC.
rd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erased presents an original profile of a previously unrecognized type of murder: one that is not a "hot-blooded," spur of the moment crime of passion, as domestic homicide is commonly viewed, but a cold-blooded, carefully planned and methodically executed "erasure".

I refer to it as the silent ex.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD:

Thanks for the summary. It sounds like an interesting and great book.

Would love to glance through it one day. Glad that you shared it.

Yes, you do refer to the men as the "silent x" which is a properly phrased for what they represent (IMO) since working on these cases all these years.

Always

Goz

PS: great typing Job....:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: