www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Murder on a Horse Trail - Introduction
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Murder on a Horse Trail - Introduction Reply with quote

Chandra's murder on a horse trail is a mystery, and an intriguing one. Much more intriguing than fiction. Murder on a Horse Trail is a book I've written about Chandra's disappearance and murder that can now be read here, free to the public. We will delve into all the questions the book raises and hopefully raise a dialogue that refocuses on questions that need answered.

The book cover is the same background as the green map background on our homepage at www.justiceforchandra.com , with the same darker green lettering over the light green and brown image.

At 25 chapters and 310 pages with a well documented bibliography, Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy covers Chandra's disappearance and murder thoroughly with some new reporting and insights from me but no new interviews with the principals or information from investigators.

This book doesn't solve Chandra's case, but it raises a lot of interesting questions that I hope will generate some new interviews and information from investigators, maybe for another writer to cover if we're lucky.

I'll post updates as I get them. I hope we'll be discussing here the issues of Chandra's case raised in Murder on a Horse Trail. Anyone having any questions can email me at ralph@ee.net.

Book Description
Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy by Ralph Daugherty pulls together the reported facts of the disappearance of Chandra Levy with new analysis that raises many troubling questions yet to be answered. This is more than a media frenzy, it is a compelling murder mystery waiting to be unravelled.

Ralph Daugherty is a computer programmer who was drawn to the Chandra Levy case based on coverage of the critical clues to her disappearance found on Chandra's computer. He has posted over 7,000 comments as rd on Chandra boards on the Internet and has set up his own board dedicated to Chandra Levy, Laci Peterson, and missing women at www.justiceforchandra.com.

He has now pulled together the reported facts with his analysis and questions, honed by discussions with hundreds of other posters since Chandra's disappearance. This complex mystery is a compelling story, and Murder On A Horse Trail tries to do justice to that story.

Browse contents and first chapter
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=0595664334&page=fm1

now available from the publisher, Barnes and Noble's iUniverse:
http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/book_detail.asp?&isbn=0-595-66433-4

Murder On A Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy
by Ralph Daugherty
Format: Hard Cover
Size : 6 x 9
Pages: 310
ISBN: 0-595-66433-4
Published: Apr-2004
Our price: $31.95

Format: Paperback
Size : 6 x 9
Pages: 310
ISBN: 0-595-31847-9
Our price: $21.95
Other Formats: Adobe eBook

and from www.amazon.com:

Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy
by Ralph Daugherty

List Price: $21.95
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours
Edition: Paperback
Hardcover $31.95

Product Details

* Paperback: 312 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.69 x 9.00 x 6.00
* Publisher: iUniverse; (April 2004)
* ISBN: 0595318479
* In-Print Editions: Hardcover | All Editions

and from Barnes and Noble:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com:

Ralph Daugherty
Hardcover, April 2004
Usually ships within 2-3 days
Product Details:
ISBN: 0595664334
Format: Hardcover, 312pp
Pub. Date: April 2004 Publisher: iUniverse, Incorporated

Ralph Daugherty
Paperback, April 2004
Product Details:
ISBN: 0595318479
Format: Paperback, 312pp
Pub. Date: April 2004 Publisher: iUniverse, Incorporated

and from Booksamillion.com:
http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=2837279159060&isbn=0595664334

Murder on a Horse Trail
The Disappearance of Chandra Levy
(Hardcover)
by Ralph Daugherty
Retail Price: $31.95
Our Price: $31.95
Millionaire's Club Price: $28.76
Members Save $3.19 ! (10%)
ISBN: 0595664334 / Publisher: iUniverse / Date: Apr 2004 / Page Count: 312

Also able to be ordered from any bookstore.

rd

Last edited by rd on Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Kortnie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happily, I have just now finished rd's book.

This means that I can now comment on this Discussion. rd, is yours the only book about Chandra? If I was asked for my theory, this would be it: I think there's a strong chance C could have been pregnant and told Condit about it. First, this would have been the "big news" she planned to tell her aunt about. Second, this situation, esp. to married men, is often a strong enough reason for them to cross the line into murder. She, perhaps, threatened him w/exposure, and we all know how Gare loved his exterior appearance of "good guy" and "family guy." Such a threat to both his work and to his family, esp. when we know he didn't care beans about C except for her "melons," could have provided him w/enough rationalization to kill her. After all, the retired FBI person Candice did not hesitate to label him a sociopath; ergo, he only cares for himself. So, murder would make sense to his evil mind. He's also so self-centered that he believes he'll get away with it. And, he has, though not in that famous court of public opinion. I remember thinking when he was trying to win his seat again, "That ain't gonna happen." And it didn't. A definite YAY.

Anyway, he purposely appeases her in some slimy way, and in her age 24 naivete and feelings of love, believes the appeasement as genuine. It is a ruse. He gets her out of her apt. for a lovers' meeting. I think he picks her up somewhere and he's got the shady guy in the trunk, or hidden somewhere. He watches as his cohort strangles her. Of course they take the ring and keys, which could now be at the bottom of the Chesapeake. They will never be found. There are both arguments for and against the discovery of the bones and clothes at that location. But whether she was killed there, or brought there later, she didn't initially get there on her own steam. As rd pointed out, the spot is way too isolated and remote and she just wouldn't have gone there by herself.

It was premeditated and planned.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's as strong a theory as there is, Kortnie. The other two that I think are just as strong are that Chandra unknowingly put something very bad into motion when she asked Condit about Jennifer Thomas per her mother's warnings. Chandra to her surprise lost her internship a week after telling her mother that Condit had "explained it all" concerning Jennifer Thomas.

The other is that the five to ten minute phone call from Condit's Ceres home answered at Condit's apartment while Condit was in session in Congress was just before Carolyn flew into town, presumedly for a Congressional Wive's Luncheon but without a ticket. The ticket was not paid for until the following year, along with ordering the next year's ticket in advance, which wasn't used.

Chandra had talked to Sven about having a confrontation, and we have to consider the possibility that she and Carolyn had that confrontation. Hard to say what Condit would have done, but one can take a few wild guesses. This would be in conjunction with Condit explaining it all to Chandra and then Chandra finding herself out of a job and Condit refusing to help her get another one. It is at that time that the mysterious phone call from Ceres is answered by someone in Condit's apartment.

The only other book on Chandra is a rehash of NE articles and notes, mostly ripped off from real reporters at the Modesto Bee and Washington Post. I haven't seen it but others such as benn have reviewed it and found nothing new that wasn't in NE articles already such as her clothes flapping in the wind hanging from bushes and other such nonsense.

I have been there and so has James and you would be able to see clothes hanging on bushes. The hillside is fairly barren of brush as it is to even have bushes for clothes to hang on, although it is heavily populated with trees. I could easily see the small orange flag markers at the spot she was found from a path at the top of the cliff across the ravine.

The key to this case are all the smalller questions remaining to be answered, leading up to the larger questions and theories. It is important to see where the information takes us, wherever that is.

Congratulations on finishing the book, Kortnie. I hope we have some other bright newcomers like you join us and contribute to answering these questions. Of course the ones who have been here since the beginning helped formulate all those questions. :) Maybe you will come up with some more and help us answer them.

rd
blondie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jane-about the $10K - it's in the www.fec.gov reports. It's all public record.
I can't remember which quarter, but I think it was about 2 yrs. after she disappeared. I saw it with my own eyes and was shocked.
Kortnie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and info rd and Benn. Do you all know the famous Sherlock Holmes quotation?: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, HOWEVER IMPROBABLE, must be the truth." rd, with this quotation in mind, what would you say happened to C?

Also, I only learned today via online of Condit's criminal brother! Oh, my God! Well, that is the situation of the Woody Allen film "Crimes and Misdemeanors." rd, have you seen that film recently? The brother could have been brought in by Gary to do the job, just like Jerry Orbach did for Martin Landau in "C and M." And the brother will not rat him out.

I also reread the Connie Chung interview. Talk about obvious question-dodging. Condit is a bug squirming on a pin.

He lives in North Phoenix now. I saw his nice Arizona house surrounded by cactus online.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm committed to answering the dozens of questions in the book whose answers would provide a basis for answering the larger question of what happened to Chandra. Those questions can be answered by people other than Condit, although it would probably take a grand jury investigation to pry the answers out of some of the others.

I cover that criminal brother in the beginning of the Rock Creek Park chapter, Kortnie. Quite a story there, that's for sure.

I haven't seen "Crimes and Misdemeanors", and can't for the time being. Maybe others have and can chip in here.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is something I wrote three years ago, before Chandra was found in Rock Creek Park. It was just a theory.

rd

Let's say Darrell was asked to come up to DC to help Gary out. He loves the guy, it's April, 2001, and Gary bailed him out of a jail jam as recently as the previous October, and for a few bucks he'd do anything for him.

But Gary asks a big favor. He's got a problem and wants it taken care of. Darrell says sure.

Darrell's no dummy though. Let's say something goes wrong, what happens? His word against his big powerful Congressman's brother's word, he's toast. He's twisting slowly in the wind. He takes the fall, unless...

Darrell slips into Condit's apartment and looks around. There's only one way to keep Gary honest, and that's to plant something of his with the girl. Something that's Gary's, something he thinks he still has. Darrell goes through Gary's stuff and finds a box, a watchbox with a nice expensive Tag Heuer watch inside in a zippered case. He slips the case out and into his pocket, leaving the cardboard box sitting where it was, undisturbed.

Darrell does his brother the favor, but he covers himself. He carefully empties the watch out of the case, not touching it, and leaves the watch with the girl, so it looks like it was pulled off by Chandra as she struggled with Gary. It's got Gary's DNA all over it, not Darrell's. He covers the poor girl's remains, leaving the watch nearby. Darrell heads back to Florida, down I-95, staying clear of his brother as planned. It was the way Gary told him to just hit the road and not be seen with him again that spooked him. Like he was being set up. He didn't like it. The watch made it Gary's job now though. He didn't care what Gary told the cops.

The police start closing in two weeks later. They get a call from Joleen, search his apartment. They try but can't get a search warrant, the prosecutor doesn't approve it. Gary gets wind of the police searching in the alley behind his apartment building, in the dumpster. He heads home and looks around. What are the cops looking for?

He opens some drawers, looks around, pokes at his watch box, and it tumbles away, empty. He grabs it and looks in. It's empty save some paperwork, a little manual, a warranty card. He looks around, a little more frantically. Where'd he put the watch?

He doesn't know if Chandra took it when she left as a keepsake, or if Darrell took it, but he needs to know it's not with Chandra. But he doesn't know where Chandra is. He didn't want to know. If there's a problem, it's Darrell's problem. Darrell did this to Chandra.

He knows Darrell was hanging around outside Luray. He hopes he can figure out where Darrell took her and make sure his watch isn't with her.

But he can't find her. At midnight he makes it back into Luray and checks his messages. Anne Marie called, and he's got to keep things calm. Don't attract any attention.

They have to find Chandra to find his watch, and there's no reason to look out here in Luray.

But then that Luray payphone number shows up on Anne Marie's caller id.
benn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd wrote:
no, benn, I did not mention the book. I mentioned all my sources, and that had no information of any value that anyone ever posted.

rd

rd, I would like to mention an index to Sex, Power and Murder compiled by fallout which was posted here Dec 04, 2002. I know there was a story in the NE book about Condit and Vince Flammini attending a motorcycle club event in Nevada.

To the best of my recollection Condit met another girl there whom he became acquainted with. I can not remember her name offhand, but I am sure that she is listed in james' index.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, time for MHT to earn its way. From www.nydailynews.com Front Page for August 22, 2004:

Dominick Dunne has hired legal Rottweilers Paul LiCalsi and Michael J. Griffith to defend him against ex-Congressman Gary Condit's defamation suit. Griffith told friends at Zocalo restaurant they'll do an "exhaustive investigation" of Condit and slain intern Chandra Levy that "will exonerate Dunne"...

We contacted Dunne's regular attorney to let him know that MHT was out and I hope that Dunne took a look at it, so maybe LiCalsi and Griffith already know about it. It might be worthwhile to offer to assist in their exhaustive investigation, heh gang?

rd
Kortnie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning rd and Benn. Boy, is my face red. Of course you mentioned Darrell Condit, rd. I've been tired lately, my mother is ill and we're all worried about her.

I think the brother is the key. rd, how can I help you see "Crimes and Misdemeanors?' The story is simple: Successful New York doctor (Martin Landau) engages assistance of criminal brother (Jerry Orbach) to get rid of demanding mistress (Angelica Huston). Martin Landau's unsuspecting wife played by Claire Bloom. You must admit there are similarities!

As you point out, rd, someone paid Darrell Condit's $50,000.00 bail. My God, no one is going to fork over that kind of money, or any money, for Darrell Condit except his brother Gary. No one. Also, concerning the "silver Toyota Previa minivan" of Darrell's girlfriend: Because public transportation leaves a paper trail (taxi, metro, bus) as well as lots of people who could remember something, I believe that C was picked up by Gary in his disguise (sunglasses, cap pulled down) w/Darrell in the trunk. Gary could give her any excuse for this unknown vehicle. They needed to use a vehicle that no one had ever seen before and would check out, such as that Ford Fiesta. They decided no blood, which is why she was strangled. I have no idea what Darrell Condit looks like, but as a criminal he's probably bigger than Gary, who's a skinny wimp. I don't think that Gary himself could strangle, because like Martin Landau in the movie, he doesn't want to get his hands dirty, both literally and figuratively. rd, please remind me, neither D or G have iron-clad alibis for May 1, since obviously that's the date the murder of C occurred?

Looking forward to your response. Let's get to the bottom of this.
benn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may be getting some help, Kortnie. Rd has posted the update on the Condit v Dunne lawsuit. I did not know he had posted it, and I posted it on the Condit sues Dunne topic. I guess double exposure will not hurt anything.

I would rather read others comments on this, but I think this lawsuit allows Dunne to look into many phases of Condit's life. Of course Dunne probably just wants to overthrow Condit's lawsuit, but perhaps he will be adventurous and look for a little more.

I am wondering what the odds might be that Condit will drop his suit. But that would leave Condit looking bad if he dropped the case.

Maybe this is Police Chief Ramsey's "break." Go, Chief, go.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first, Kortnie. I hope your mother gets better quickly.

I read some reviews of Crimes and Misdemeanors yesterday. I think you are in for a big surprise. Darrell is no Jerry Orbach. Try Manson. I will post some pictures of him below.

At the moment I'm not sure how long I'll be living here, whether the lights will stay on until it's auctioned off, or for that matter what happens next. I'm trying to find another programming job somewhere and I've got my stuff packed up to move and I'm out of money to rent movies. The movie was pretty sloppy anyway, and I don't even like good Woody Allen movies, much less sloppy ones.

You will have some other movies to compare this to before we're done, and it won't be anything as civilized as Crimes and Misdemeanors.

I won't go into a lot of detail in this post about the red Ford, but Chandra didn't know about it, so any vehicle that wasn't a cab would have been a surprise to her. That is significant, and has never been addressed very thoroughly by Chandra posters.

Condit is a highly skilled weight lifter and was in top shape before something resembling a conscience turned him into a skeleton, like something out of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is significant to know what he was capable of handling on, say, steep slopes.

Darrell on the other hand is a meth addict and as you will see in the pictures, not a picture of health. However it takes no strength or skill to deal with a bound victim.

The chapter Alibi covers Condit's alibi for May 1, which not only is not ironclad, it's non-existent. Darrell's is covered in Rock Creek Park.

When getting to the bottom of it, you will find there the questions I pose throughout the book. That is the bottom of it right now.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site was cleaned up awhile back to prepare to turn over to what I thought were possibly larger appropriate groups but I never identified any, so it's still just us. Every dump of names was cleaned off the site and will remain cleaned off. We're in legally tricky waters now, and info will be finetuned to hard info on the site.

I do not recall seeing the info about Adrian borrowing on his house. Of course Jon Sale posted the bond, the question is where did the money come from.

If true, Adrian didn't get his $50,000 back because Darrell skipped that bond. I don't recall hearing anything about Adrian losing $50,000. I do recall hearing about Condit losing his campaign reelection funds. I wish I recalled ever seeing that on Adrian before but I just don't. Do you skipper or anyone else?

I didn't use any of your posts in the book, skipper. The info in the book is just very hard and directly related to Chandra's disappearance, and the nature of seasrching for answers is that the raw data is needed to get the answer but is not the answer. It's ironic.

rd
laskipper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If true, Adrian didn't get his $50,000 back because Darrell skipped that bond. I don't recall hearing anything about Adrian losing $50,000. I do recall hearing about Condit losing his campaign reelection funds. I wish I recalled ever seeing that on Adrian before but I just don't. Do you skipper or anyone else?

Nope, you're wrong. Darrell had skipped out on charges in California, LE arrested him during the Chandra frenzy (Florida), and he did appear in court with Attorney Jon Sale. Bond would have been returned, less court fees and fines.
laskipper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Sale explains:

Excerpt:

JON SALE, DARRELL CONDIT'S ATTORNEY: Good evening, Larry.

KING: Hi, Jon. SALE: Darrell Condit was living a private life, not hiding, he was arrested, pursuant to an old warrant for a 1996 misdemeanor. Actually, the Fort Lauderdale Sheriffs Office sent out fliers throughout the neighborhood, there was a search for him. And he pulled up in his truck and they arrested him, and he didn't...

(CROSSTALK)

KING: I'm sorry -- so when they labeled him, fugitive, that was wrong?

SALE: Well, technically it was correct, but it wasn't too dissimilar from somebody who has an outstanding traffic warrant. There was an old warrant on a misdemeanor, and you certainly don't send out the troops searching for somebody and send pictures around the neighborhood unless there's some reason. And the spokeswoman for the Broward County sheriffs office candidly stated that we did that because of the media hype.

KING: What was the misdemeanor for?

SALE: The misdemeanor was an old DUI case, and the alleged violation of his probation was he did not pay a nominal court cost and he did not submit to a urinalysis. From there there's this innuendo that he has some knowledge or some involvement in some awful things which he has no knowledge of. If he did, he would be the first to come forward. He has no knowledge whatsoever about Chandra or her whereabouts.

KING: Is he out on bail now?

SALE: No, he's not. And my hope is that he's going to be treated like every other person who has been held on an old technical misdemeanor. Rather than -- I mean, I've had my share of experience with high visibility cases. This shouldn't be one. The focus here should be on law enforcement, trying to find this missing young woman. Why are they looking at Darrell Condit? It puzzles me and puzzles him.

KING: To your knowledge, has the FBI or the Washington police tried to contact him or you?

SALE: No, they have not. And, I can tell you...

KING: If they did, he would cooperate?

SALE: Well, I think he would. I would have to discuss that with him, he's been through a very traumatic episode. But I can tell I you he has not spoken to his brother in over a year and he's not been out of the state of Florida in over a year.

KING: Is there a rift between the brothers, to your knowledge?

SALE: No, to my knowledge -- Darrell told me he loves his brother. But Darrell is a different kind of a person. He's a grown man, they've lived separate kind of lives, and they just don't have that type of a close relationship. But there is not a rift. And Darrell told me that he sympathizes with what his brother must be going through, because Darrell has seen his own picture now plastered all over the media, and he doesn't understand why, because he does not have any idea whatsoever what this is all about.
end excerpt

http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0107/23/lkl.00.html

Fair use

My point, he never got out on bail prior to the 2 hearings. The FBI arrested him for the misdemeanor (outstanding warrant in California). He was flown out to California and then back to Florida, for the charges outstanding there. Bond would have been returned, less fees and fines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: