www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baton Rouge serial killer trial
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kortnie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Baton Rouge serial killer trial Reply with quote

Hey Ya'll, as we say down South. I don't understand why the SLCTribune would bother calling me if they're not going to print my letter. There is a letter there today about Lori which you'll see if you go to The Salt Lake City Tribune.com.

In the meantime, I'm going to apprise you of the latest news in the Baton Rouge serial killer's first trial: This black dude's name is Derrick Todd Lee. He is from St. Francisville, Louisiana, a charming, bucolic spot about 50 miles north of BR. There is a very famous haunted plantation there - The Myrtles - which I love visiting because I'm into that ghost stuff. I have even caught a ghost on camera there, in August 1999. I kid you not. Anyone who would like a copy of this photo can private mail me and I'll send you one! I love showing people this photo! Interestingly, some people see this scary ectoplasmic face and skeleton peering from a window, and some don't. In addition, because my friend and I spent the night in one of the haunted rooms, I experienced the ghost of one of the female victims (murdered by poisoning) by smelling her Civil War fragrance --violets. Let me tell you, it was scary.

This is DTL's FIRST trial. It's taking place in West Baton Rouge Parish as the 21 yr old LSU student he brutally raped and murdered lived there, in a tiny town called Addis. Her name: Geralyn Barr DeSoto. Her devastated family has said, "She never knew a stranger." Oh, if only she had. DTL was in that area picking up his last - he'd been laid off - paycheck from Exxon. He knocked on her door asking to use the phone, a ruse. Phone records show that the Exxon plant was called from her home only minutes before they say she was killed. Gee, that's a tough one to figure out who made that faked call, isn't it? There are also bloody footprints identified as same size of DTL and same type of boot taken from his closet by police. There is also his knife, identified by DTL's own son, 12 yrs old, as his father's. Expert testimony is that this knife is consistent with Geralyn's stab wounds. Finally, and most importantly, DNA tests show that 99.8% of the black male population can be excluded from the DNA found under Geralyn's fingernails as she fought for her life. Ergo, any moron could surmise that that DNA is DTL's.

Yesterday, the prosecution rested. Today, defense witnesses will be called. A verdict could be reached by the end of the week. Next, DTL goes on trial September 13, in East Baton Rouge Parish, where I live, i.e. Baton Rouge. In EBR he's accused of raping and murdering four white women (the above Geralyn DeSoto is also white), just like me. I fit the profile of DTL's preference perfectly. The first is Gina Wilson Green, a nurse. The second is Charlotte Murray Pace, who had only a week earlier received her MBA from LSU. The third is Pam Kinamore, owner of an antique shop and a mom, and the fourth is Carrie Yoder, an LSU student from Tampa, FL. There is the same DNA evidence for these women as well. It's amazing to me that DTL is proclaiming his innocence! What does he think we all are? Morons? This is a guy who has referred to his victims as "high society," which shows you how low he is; we're all your regular educated middle-class. You can see how I completely identify with these victims.

I hope I put some human face on these valuable women we've lost. Kortnie
rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the DNA evidence alone is enough to convict him. It's just sad that even one of these murders should be the death penalty but all these murder trials and appeals will keep him alive for decades.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted by Kortnie:

A few other things. Since DTL's incarceration at the end of May, 2003, no other women of this type have been slaughtered. I'd say that's pertinent. And something else about Geralyn. It's been brought out that her husband, Darren DeSoto, was abusive and controlling. She had written about this in her diary, which is in evidence. So, the defense has been trying to pin this on him. He did not kill her, however. What this indicates, though, is that a woman can suffer many types of abuse from men in her life. She can be abused by her husband AND slaughtered by a stranger. Sheesh. I know too from first-hand (no pun intended) experience as the guy who assaulted and almost murdered me when I was 22, was a stranger. I'd been stalked. I say "almost" murdered because in the end, obviously, he didn't do it. However, all through the ordeal he told me he was going to, and I believed him like I've never believed anything before.
rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paperdoll posted:

The arrest of the suspect, long overdue, pointed out fallacies in profiling.
Because he was not a white man but black, the LE task force ignored numerous tips regarding the suspect, who is slated to go on trial Monday, for one of the murders in one of the jurisdictions. Many locals feel that the latest victims died unneccessarily because of too much faith being placed in the profiles.
rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the same thing happened in the Washington sniper case, paperdoll, and contend that it probably happens nearly every time.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peripeteia posted:

If my memory serve me correctly, the dude that they were looking for drove a white truck, had red hair and had a finger or thumb missing. How off centre this description was as the perp turns out to be an Afroamerican. Ya sure these are real similar.

However, given how much the Louisianna policemen earn it is anywonder how they found the perp at all. Arts and entertainment did a documentary about Louisanna police being on the take, and that at the time of the show the salary range was about 14,000.00 dollars per year. At the time I was making 45,000.00. One of the woman I worked with went to Baton Rouge for a year to work in one of the main hospitals, Nurses had guns, patients had guns, most of the poeple occupying the ICUnit had been shot, and her door man in her apartment building carried a gun in his holster. Well if this is any indication as to the state of affairs in Baton Rouge and other places in Louisanna and which likely exists in other places, it isn;t any wonder why the crime rate is so high and so few cases are solved. If I was a policeman making scab wages where everyone in their dog had a gun, I Think I'd either be finding another job, or I's be staying out of other peoples affairs, and doing not too much of anything!
rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Louisiana policeman didn't find him at all. He was found in Atlanta with the help of America's Most Wanted! He was conning more women and they couldn't believe he was a serial murderer.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kortnie wrote:

Mornin' rd. "When the manhunt was on." Do you mean before LE was searching specifically for the evil incarnate known in human terms as "Derrick Todd Lee," former resident of St. Francisville (about 50 miles north of B.R., very tiny town, and current resident of East Baton Rouge Parish Prison, even tinier? OR prior to his ID via DNA when every white man in B.R. was a suspect? Lee is black. Opinions? The serial killer was the primary topic of conversation in these parts, as well it should have been. Women in this city were terrified. Yesterday the only woman who escaped Lee testified. She is Diane Alexander of Breaux Bridge. The only reason she did not die at the hands of Lee is because her son drove up, causing Lee to flee. Only reason. He stomped her and began strangling her like the others. She is very brave, pointing her finger unhesitatingly at him in court.

Hi Kortnie. Yes, when they were searching for the man in a white truck, actually before that even. We had posted here when there were indications it was a serial killer. The alert for the while pickup came in and we were already aware of the murderer. The posts were pruned off in some housecleaning later though.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kortnie posted:

Everybody, I live in Baton Rouge and have been here through the entire serial killer ordeal. Please, don't hesitate to ask me anything. Paperdoll, you are right about the wrong profiling. But, the black serial killer is more of a new phenomenon; traditionally, they are white men. I, too, thought the white guy profile was correct, and when I'd go for morning walks I'd be scrutinizing EVERY pickup truck w/a white man in it, and in BR you've got A LOT of pickup trucks with white men in them. The irony, of course, is that Derrick Todd Lee turned out to be a very BLACK man. After him, and after the DC snipers, I do not believe that LE will assume a white man ever again. And Peri, it's true about LE low wages. However, Louisiana is one of the lowest-paying states for any profession. Teachers? It's pitiful. Also, concerning the guns. BR is a gun-lovin' town. There is a lot of hunting (and fishing) - I mean, we don't have The Metropolitan Museum of Art, if you get what I mean. I'm originally from New Orleans, and BR makes NO look like New York. There is a very nice country feel here, but cosmopolitan it ain't. The latest news on DTL, the serial killer, is that he stood up in court and bellowed to the judge that he wasn't getting adequate free representation and fired his lawyer! See, 'cause he a innocent man, doncha know??? I don't think that since Ted Bundy have I seen such evil personified.
Kortnie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rd! But, the comments are out of order! Well, I know you can fix that, computer programmer that you are! Also, writer. I'm looking forward to receiving your book on Chandra, as I've already said. It's interesting how certain cases intrigue us. I know that you've not been too interested in JonBenet, while I've read every book written about the case (the Ramsey's did it), and I'm on the whole ignorant about Chandra.
Kortnie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paperdoll's and Peri's comments go before mine, before I started commenting on this blog. Kortnie
rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I merged two threads, Kortnie. It was pretty ugly. This has the thread in your name and things under way, though. Keep us posted as they spend way too much time and money to execute this predator.

I backed into this awful situation of missing women with Chandra's case, which I got into because of the clues left on her computer. I had to end up creating a board for Chandra after all the others went down.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, he barely got convicted for a life sentence, much less executed. I hope one of the two other first degree murder trials gets him.

rd

from www.foxnews.com (fair use)

Guilty Verdict in First Trial for La. Serial Killer
Associated Press
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

PORT ALLEN, La. — A jury found south Louisiana serial killing suspect Derrick Todd Lee guilty of second-degree murder Tuesday in the death of 21-year-old Geralyn DeSoto in January 2002.

Lee, 35, faces a mandatory life sentence in DeSoto's death and still faces two first-degree murder charges carrying possible death sentences in other cases.

When the verdict was read, Lee was on his feet, leaning on a table. He did not react. His family stared straight ahead as the jury was polled.

Eleven jurors said guilty; one, not guilty. Ten guilty votes were required for conviction of second-degree murder.

DeSoto's mother and father broke down and cried.

The jury took an hour and 40 minutes to reach the verdict.
Kortnie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: convicted! Reply with quote

Her rd, you beat me to it! Yep, that monster is convicted of second-degree murder and receives an automatic life sentence. Big headline on our paper, The Advocate, this morning: "Jury finds Lee guilty" Well, hallelujah! Who is the single-digit IQ who voted not guilty? SHE was not identified, which is probably a good thing.
Kortnie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More news on now-convicted killer Derrick Todd Lee: Channel 9 (WAFB) is taking a poll online. The question is, "Is it worth your taxpayer dollars to fund multiple murder trials against Derrick Todd Lee?" I voted "Yes." After voting, the results of the poll are shown. Get this: A whopping 64% has voted "No," a not-whopping 34% has voted "Yes." "I don't care" is 2%. I think it's pretty obvious that the big NO vote is 'cause we all know already, we have been knowing, that he's the perp. If you don't know this, you're a moron, simple as that. So, since EBR Parish is not a rich place, why should we waste more $ on that *^#!*@!, and I do see that point. In fact, I almost voted NO. He WILL be in Angola State Prison -not a nice place - for the rest of his *^#!*@! life. But, if he's not tried in East Baton Rouge Parish, where I live, for the rape/murders of 4 women, then we always have to say "alleged" or "accused" or "suspected" serial killer in front of his name when we all know he's guilty. Does that matter so much? Anyway, it's all moot, the next trial will start September 13. But, still interesting to see those poll results. What do you think, rd?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: