www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing in Utah Monday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murderers should be executed. Just don't think it will deter murder. It is what it is, revenge. Why should a murderer live when their victim didn't?

There are many failings that keep an execution from being perceived as swift and sure justice, starting with suppression or manufacture of ecidence and refusal to do DNA testing in mnay cases. Dozens of men have been released from death row when they finally forced th state to do DNA testing and found they were innocent after all. That was the result of the appeals process which is bemoaned here.

If we didn't have evidence suppressed or manufactured, we wouldn't have dozens of men wrongly given a death sentence. We can't change the hearts of murderers, nor apparently the hearts of those who want to convict someone for it at the cost of making all convictions questionable.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd the use of volunteers has proven successful over time, round up a possie and go after the murderer is a tried and true method, the police cannot do their job alone, and safety is a concern to us all, else if we ignore what is going on around us sooner or later we will fall victim to what we refused to believe was happening.

Had the modesto police organized the volunteers searching the Bay, by now most of the bay would have been searched. There is no question that Chandra's body would have been found, if volunteers assisted the police, that is to say if it was in the park when it was searched which seems doubtful.

We are responsible for our neighbours and our neighbourhood, we must learn to report to the authorities the things that we see that are wrong, for example reporting childhood prostition when we see hookers under age, known crack houses, abuse of women and children, sexual perverts and the list goes on. This can be done anonymously.

Yes Jane I'm skeptical of the results and data from the study on murder rates, people are being murdered left right and centered in Halifax, this is something that was unheard of growing up, and the only murders I remember as a child was a young man who went ballistic and murdered his mother and three other people on the street, and one survived being struck in the head. Most of the murders in this country I'd agree are drug related, or as a result of robbery or domestic violence, I believe among the first nations peoples there is the greatest insistence of murder, most of these murders usually have drugs or alcohol involved. The number of gang related murders is growing fast both in Toronto and Vancouver especially amongst Asian gangs.
laskipper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Hacking plea: Not Guilty... Reply with quote

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2433908

Fair use

Hacking in court, pleads not guilty
Murder charge: Lori's mother, in tears, berates Mark for not admitting to slaying his wife in July
By Stephen Hunt
The Salt Lake Tribune

Mark Hacking arrives in 3rd District Court for his arraignment on Friday in Salt Lake City. Hacking pleaded not guilty to the first-degree murder charge in the July death of his wife, Lori, 27. (Douglas C. Pizac/The Associated Press)

The family of murder victim Lori Hacking came to court Friday hoping that Mark Hacking would ease their pain by publicly admitting guilt.
Instead, Hacking stood mute before 3rd District Judge Denise Lindberg and let defense attorney Gilbert Athay enter "not guilty" pleas for him.
Wearing the now-familiar bulletproof vest and watched by a half-dozen bailiffs, Hacking nodded his assent when Lindberg asked, "Is that right?"
The judge then scheduled a one-week trial to begin April 18.
Following the three-minute hearing, Lori's mother, Thelma Soares, tearfully berated her son-in-law for prolonging her family's emotional agony.
"In pleading not guilty, Mark continues to hurt us," Soares told reporters. "I feel outrage on behalf of Lori and her baby. Mark heaps insult upon injury."
But Soares added she was "not overly concerned" about what she called Hacking's "legal posturing."
"I know Mark will one day receive perfect judgment from the only judge who knows every detail of what he did that terrible night," she said.
Hacking, 28, is charged with first-degree felony murder for allegedly shooting his 27-year-old wife in the head while she slept in the early hours of July 19.
Hacking is also charged with three second-degree felony counts of obstructing justice for allegedly disposing of Lori's body, the murder weapon - a .22-caliber rifle - and a mattress.
The mattress was found in a Dumpster near the Hackings' Salt Lake City apartment on the day of the homicide.
Lori's remains - identified from dental records - were found Oct. 1 at the Salt Lake County landfill by police who had sifted through hundreds of tons of garbage. The rifle has not been found.
An autopsy of the 15 pounds of Lori's remains that were recovered failed to reveal the cause of her death. The medical examiner was also unable to determine if Lori was five weeks pregnant, as reported by relatives.
Much of the information about Lori's death and what happened to the evidence comes from Hacking himself, who on July 24 allegedly confessed the killing to his brothers, Lance and Scott Hacking.
Scott Hacking told reporters Friday he has mixed feelings about the case going to trial.
He said he expects it will be "painful" to testify against his younger brother, but added that a trial could shed light on many of the questions family members and the public are asking.
"We don't know all the answers," Scott Hacking said. "Maybe [a trial] would bring some of these questions out."
As for the book Mark Hacking is reportedly writing about the case, Scott Hacking said he understood his brother's goal was "to get out the entire truth."
Meanwhile, family members are continuing to visit Mark Hacking at the Salt Lake County Jail. Scott Hacking said he was there Wednesday.
"We talked about him and how he's doing," Scott Hacking said. "We've encouraged him to pray a lot. We're fasting and hoping . . . he'll make the right decisions."
He said the Hackings also pray for the Soares family, and "we hope they feel comforted."
Deputy Salt Lake County District Attorney Robert Stott - who huddled in a conference room with the Soares family for a half-hour after the arraignment hearing - said family members expressed their feelings and asked about future steps in the court process.
"We have an obligation to work with them and alleviate their fears," Stott said.
April was the earliest that Judge Lindberg could accommodate the trial.
But waiting six months will be "hard for the family," Stott said, although it gives prosecutors more time to prepare their case.
Stott said no plea deal had been offered to Hacking. "Neither Mr. Athay nor anyone from our office has talked about a plea negotiation," Stott said.
Athay declined to talk to reporters at the courthouse and didn't return a phone call to his office.
benn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there won't be a long trial anyway.

benn
laskipper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope not, Benn. I would hate to see the Hacking trial turn into another event like the Peterson case.
peripeteia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skipper for the report, and it is sad news, and pathetic, in that Mark would attempt to save his worthless life, to lie to someone else and react being Peter Pan over and over again, the boy who refused to grow up and who has no other ambition but to hold court at the local soda fountain shoppe and sneek cigaretters and tell lies to anyone who would listen.

I can hardly imagine Mark's story about what were his intentions when he got to South Carolina, where was he intending on storing his furniture, what was he planning to do for work? He had not even quit his job in Utah, it would seem that Mark had no intentions of remaining or even going to South Carolina? He had to come up with a drama before hand so he would not be found out, so he planned the whole thing, that he would murder Lori and simply not go to South Carolina and would remain at his job and his apartment or move with Mommy and Daddy and continue as is.../was.....but without Lori.

Mark being caught on tape purchasing a matress the next morning and by the admission of the clerks in the store, that Mark acted and behaved completely normal will serve as evidence that he was not insane at the time he committed the murder.

Andrea Yates, once she had murdered all her children she called her husband, had she been insane, she could not have managed to do this, she had to think and deliberate to make the call, this proved that she was not insane. There was a take off of this story on Law and Order series last night, I only saw it with half an eye....but we know the outcome of her trial, and insanity defense was not accepted.

We can only hope that Mark reaps the same just dessert.......as Yates and Scott the same.....at the very least.....
rd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacking admitted to throwing his wife's body in a dumpster. Kate believed that from the begininng, and so did I among others here. The press didn't seem to get it, though, especially those that think men like Hacking and Condit and Pterson are being picked on just because their girlfriend or wife disappears and they don't want to talk about it.

rd

from www.cnn.com (fair use)

Utah man pleads guilty to killing wife
Mark Hacking admits to shooting her while she slept
CNN
Friday, April 15, 2005

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- A husband pleaded guilty Friday to killing his wife last year, shooting her in the head as she slept after she discovered he had been lying about his career plans and their future together.

Prosecutors say Mark Hacking then threw 27-year-old Lori Hacking's body in a trash bin.

Volunteers scouring a landfill found her remains about three months later.

Prosecutors said Hacking's sentence will range from six years to life. Sentencing was scheduled for June 6.

Hacking, a hospital orderly, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder. He also was charged with obstructing justice by disposing of the body, the gun and a bloody mattress, but those charges were dropped as part of Friday's deal.

Officials believe he killed her after she confronted him over deceptions about his education and plans to become a doctor. She vanished last July as the couple was packing for a move to a North Carolina medical school where Hacking claimed he'd been accepted.
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the article rd, the thing that most leaped out of the page in the article was that the sentencing for first degree murder ranged from 6 years to life in prison. What kind of a sentence is 6 years for first degree murder?! This makes no sense to me, I'm hoping that this information is erroneous. It would seem that six years for premeditated murder is a joke! What kind of a deterent to murder is six years? Certainly it is understandable for manslaughter that six years might be given as a sentence, for example for a case of self-defense one can understand that six years might be a justified sentence, however, with malice of forthought did Hacking murder his wife. First he had to go through boxes to find the gun, then he killed Lori while she slept because he did not want his sorry lies to be found out and that he was afraid that his wife would leave him and he would be alone with his fabricated life.

Personally I feel that Hacking should not feel a ray of sunshine for a very long time. Elsewise a light sentence sends a message to others who wish to be rid of an inconvenice or complication in their life by another an easy task.

Killing someone while they slept for no good reason other than the pathology of a very sick person is a most devious crime. There is no question that Mark Hacking can be rehabilitated as he already knew right from wrong, and to kill someone who loved him in the most cowardly and cruel way that he killed his wife is an infatima, the killing of an inocent. Mark Hacking should remain behind bars for the rest of his natural life as he poses a risk to anyone who he feels is abandoning him for a better life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: