www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing in Utah Monday
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laskipper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Missing in Utah Monday Reply with quote

http://www.findlori.com/

Tuesday, July 20, 2004
Get the Word Out
We are so thankful for all the effort and prayers in the search for Lori. We are grateful to all of the volunteers that have turned out today to help search. We ask that you continue to get the word out. You can download a flyer and print it out from the website and post it in your local area.

Tuesday, July 20, 2004 · Last updated 3:40 p.m. PT

Utah volunteers search for pregnant jogger
By DEBBIE HUMMEL
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

A missing poster with the photo of Lori Kay Hacking hangs on a telephone pole at the entrance of a park and canyon Tuesday, July 20, 2004, in Salt Lake City. More than 1,200 volunteers Tuesday scoured the steep terrain surrounding a park and canyon in a search for Hacking, a pregnant woman who apparently vanished while jogging a day earlier. (AP Photo/Douglas C. Pizac)
SALT LAKE CITY -- More than 1,200 volunteers Tuesday scoured the steep terrain surrounding a park and canyon in a search for a pregnant woman who apparently vanished while jogging a day earlier.
Lori Kay Hacking, 27, left her Salt Lake home around daybreak Monday to run in the Memory Grove Park and City Creek Canyon area, Detective Dwayne Baird said. After she failed to show up at work later, her husband, Mark Hacking, called police, Baird said.
"I'm just so grateful they are coming to look for her," the woman's mother, Thelma Soares, said as volunteers fanned out along an eight-mile grid in the canyon directly east of the Utah Capitol.
Among the volunteers were relatives of Elizabeth Smart, who was allegedly kidnapped in 2002 by drifters and found with them nine months later in a Salt Lake suburb.
Baird said Lori Hacking was seen by a witness Monday morning when she was stretching near the park; he said her car was found near the front gates of the park.
Police first searched the area Monday using dogs and helicopters; SWAT team members with infrared binoculars were stationed above the canyon Monday night.
Besides being a popular place for runners and cyclers, City Creek Canyon is also home to transients who camp in the brush. Several transients were interviewed Monday as they left the canyon, which has been closed, Baird said.
Mark Hacking also was interviewed by the police in what Baird called routine questioning.
"It's important that he be cleared of any suspicion from the beginning," said his father, Doug Hacking.
Doug Hacking said the couple, married for nearly five years, were not having any marital problems. He said his daughter-in-law had learned Thursday she is five weeks pregnant, and the couple had planned to move next week to Chapel Hill, N.C., where Mark Hacking is to attend medical school.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apus_story.asp?category=1110&slug=Missing%20Jogger
rd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this news, skipper. Wow, nothing like a merger of the Elizabeth Smart and Laci Peterson cases to worry about. The good news is that her disappearance is taken seriously immediately and searches begun.

The DC police obviously aren't involved.

rd

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

www.justiceforchandra.com home page
laskipper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta hand it to those Mormons- they scare up a search party in nothing flat. Of course, it didn't do much good in the Smart case, if what you read is true.

This seems to be happening too much lately. Is everyone crazy out there?

It doesn't sound good for Lori with the mention of transients in the area where she went jogging. She is on a prayer chain that I'm a part of. I hope those of you on the board who pray, will remember Lori?
propria

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> I hope those of you on the board who pray, will remember Lori <<<

i started that the minute i heard about this new disappearance, so i'll be meeting you at the Throne on a regular basis. it really is almost scary weird how these cases just keep marching into the news, kind of like a clear and present illustration of the warning that 'the love of the people will grow cold'. i couldn't help thinking, too, that this case also reflects chandra's case in a tangential way, at least if you buy into the line that guandique was a transient preying on joggers in the woods ... gives me chills just thinking about it all.

nanci
rd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from www.foxnews.com (fair use)

Utah Volunteers Go Door-to-Door
Associated Press
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

SALT LAKE CITY — The search for a pregnant woman who apparently vanished during a morning run moved out of the park and canyon Wednesday and into nearby neighborhoods.

Volunteers were taking fliers door-to-door in downtown Salt Lake City neighborhoods Wednesday morning in their search for Lori Kay Hacking, 27, who hasn't been seen since going for a run Monday morning.

Meanwhile, her tearful parents said they assume she has been abducted and pleaded for her safe return on local and national news shows.

"We want to get Lori's face before the public, all over the country," her mother, Thelma Soares, told KUTV on Wednesday. "We need to find her, and we need all the eyes we can get."

More than 1,200 volunteers scoured the Memory Grove Park and City Creek Canyon area where Lori was last seen. The canyon was searched twice Tuesday, but there were no signs of Lori Hacking, and Thelma Soares expressed some relief that her daughter had not been found injured "or worse."

Hacking left her Salt Lake home around daybreak Monday for a run, Detective Dwayne Baird said. After she failed to show up at work later, her husband, Mark Hacking, called police, Baird said.

Her car was found parked near the front gates of the park. That car and one belonging to her husband were confiscated by police.

Mark Hacking also was interviewed by the police. "It's important that he be cleared of any suspicion from the beginning," said his father, Doug Hacking.

Doug Hacking said the couple were not having any marital problems. Mark and Lori Hacking have been married almost five years, and she learned last week that she is five weeks pregnant.

They planned to move next week to Chapel Hill, N.C., where Mark Hacking is to attend medical school.
propria

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i keep looking, but so far i haven't been able to find any reports to the effect that mark has been cleared of involvement in lori's disappearance ... i wish i could find something that establishes his innocence, as i am having a hard time shaking the thought that a baby could be a major inconvenience to a new med student, and i hate even considering such an awful possibility.

i close as i can tell, it also appears to be an unknown at this time whether lori was happy about going to the deep south ... i'd like to think that everything has changed since i went to high school and college in chapel hill, but there was a time when that whole area was actively hostile to mormons, or anyone else outside mainline protestant christianity, and she might have had doubts about going there, especially once she found out she's pregnant.

there are an awful lot of questions that need to be answered in order to really understand this story, but i'm praying hard that they won't be asked because lori will very soon be found safe and sound. until i do turn on the tv and learn that she is just fine, this is one more story like those we've been following, so i thought i'd share this piece i found about mark's grandfather, just as a bit of context for the story.

nanci

Missing Utah Woman's Relative Worries For Her Safety
Lori Hacking Disappeared Monday

POSTED: 9:01 pm CDT July 20, 2004
UPDATED: 11:16 am CDT July 21, 2004

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Hundreds of people joined in the search Tuesday for a pregnant woman who went missing from her Salt Lake City, Utah, home.

Lori Hacking, 27, was last seen jogging in a park and nearby canyon early Monday morning. Her car was found near the park after she failed to show up for work, and police started the investigation.

Married for five years, Hacking and her husband, Mark, are part of a big family that extends all the way to the Kansas City area. Mark's grandfather, Albert Torres, of Independence, Mo., says the whole family is worried for Hacking's safety.

"Not knowing. Not knowing is what's hard," Torres said.

Hacking was an avid runner who usually got up at 5 a.m. to jog.

Torres said it was "impossible" that Hacking might have willingly left her husband. For now, he's watching TV and staying close to the phone, hoping for good news in the search.

More than 1,200 volunteers are looking for Hacking.

Copyright 2004 by TheKansasCityChannel.com
propria

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruh roh ... this is not looking good for lori, and especially for mark, who has a whole lot of 'splaining to do already.

nanci

UNC: Husband Of Missing Utah Woman Did Not Apply For Medical School

POSTED: 5:41 pm EDT July 21, 2004
UPDATED: 6:22 pm EDT July 21, 2004

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- The search for 27-year-old Lori Hacking has made an unlikely connection between Salt Lake City and Chapel Hill.

Mark Hacking said she has [sic] his wife, Lori, were planning to go to Chapel Hill where he would attend medical school. Lori has not been [sic] since July 19 and UNC Hospitals officials claim they have no record that he applied to the school.

Lori Hacking reportedly left her Salt Lake home around daybreak Monday to go jogging and has not been seen since.

Mark Hacking, Lori's husband, told family, investigators and the media that he and his wife had planned to move to Chapel Hill to attend medical school, but on Wednesday, WRAL learned that the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has no record of Mark Hacking and that he is not registered to be a student at the medical school this fall.

UNC officials also told WRAL that Mark Hacking never even applied to the school. WRAL also checked with Duke Medical School, and Hacking is not registered at that school.

WRAL spoke with investigators in Utah and they have no explanation at this point as to why Hacking would lead people to believe he was coming to school in Chapel Hill.

Reporter: Amanda Lamb
Photographer: Courtney Davis
OnLine Producer: Kamal Wallace

Copyright 2004 by WRAL.com. All rights reserved.
rd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been in my opinion a requirement to contact the husband or his father who was quoted earlier to see what they had to say about it or say they couldn't be reached. Maybe space limitations kept that out.

Also, the article says Lori reportedly went jogging but witness saw her warming up and car was there. The reportedly makes it sound overly suspicious for the husband.

She was clearly there. That doesn't mean he wasn't there also, but she wasn't "reportedly" there because he was "reporting" it, she was there because she was seen and her car was there.

Now having said that about the reporting, it don't look good at all, nanci.

rd
propria

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this appears to be a transcript of a newsclip broadcast on ksl-tv in salt lake city.

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=39&sid=107461

Search Organized For Missing Jogger
Jul. 19, 2004

THELMA SOARES/MOTHER: "BUT THIS IS NOT CHARACTERISTIC OF LORI. SHE WOULD NOT LEAVE AND NOT LET US KNOW."

A 27 year old woman disappeared while jogging in City Creek Canyon this morning...

THELMA SOARES/MOTHER:" WE HAVE TO FIND HER. WE JUST HAVE TO FIND HER."

Police and dozens of volunteers ... searched into the evening.

Samantha Hayes is live at Memory Grove...where so far, they've come up with nothing.

Lori Hacking made plans with her husband to see a movie this afternoon..so she wanted to get a workout in early.

Around 5:30 arrived here at the entrance to Memory Grove..parked the car outside the gate...and started her run up the canyon.

She planned on a 30-45 minute work out...then back home to wake up her husband, Mark.

When that didn't happen, he thought she was already at work. And he called there first.

MARK HACKING: "SHE NEVER MADE IT IN THIS MORNING."

MARK HACKING:" I PANICKED, I CALLED POLICE, CAME OVER HERE AND FOUND HER CAR."

Police and Rescue Teams searched on the ground..and from the sky...

Dwayne Baird/Salt Lake City Police:" WE ARE HOPING SHE HAS JUST GOTTEN OFF THE MAIN TRAIL."

Dozens of volunteers got the word out.

"I'M SORRY...HAVE YOU SEEN HER?"

And Lori Hacking's family..holding on to one another for strength, holding on to one another ...pleaded for her safe return.

THELMA SOARES/MOTHER:" I ONLY HAVE TWO CHILDREN..I HAVE A SON AND I HAVE LORI. AND I CAN'T IMAGINE MY LIFE WITHOUT LORI ANYMORE."

Until this point..Lori and Mark Hacking were preparing for a move to North Carolina, for Mark to attend Medical School.

MARK: "ITS HARD BECAUSE WHEN I'M SEARCHING I'M NOT LOOKING FOR SOMEBODY SITTING ON A ROCK OR WALKING AROUND I KNOW I'M SEARCHING FOR SOME ONE WHO IS HURT."

And the couple had more exciting news...a baby on the way.

THELMA:" NOT ONLY THEY, BUT ALL OF US WERE * LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS NEW LITTLE GRANDCHILD."

MARK:" ON THE WORST DAY OF MY LIFE..ITS GOOD TO FEEL SOME COMFORT FROM THE COMMUNITY."

And many of them strangers...touched by their story and compelled to help...

THELMA: "IF ANYONE HAS HER...IF ANYONE HAS KIDNAPPED HER..SHE'S JUST A LITTLE THING...ABOUT 5'2''" PLEASE BRING HER BACK."

The search continues in the morning...

MARK: "IF YOU CAN MAKE IT, PLEASE COME."

Here's some information for those of you who would like to help with the search tomorrow.

5:45am meet at Medals Plaza parking lot, buses will take searchers to Memory Grove

6:30 search begins

dress for warm weather,wear hiking boots and bring lots of water.

++++++++++

* i hate it when people refer to missing unborn babies in the past tense ... it gives me the creeps.

nanci
propria

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxnews is reporting that mark and lori were high school sweethearts, and that lori had asked mark to jog with her monday morning, but he declined, saying he was going for a bike ride instead ... i don't know if i missed the source for that data or if it wasn't given. both families are expressing shock at the lies about going to medical school, especially since the couple had traveled there, had even rented an apartment and arranged for the move ... somebody clearly intended to be living in chapel hill, regardless of how that was supposed to come about or what kind of tales had been told about the move.

i'll add details as foxnews broadcasts them as long as i'm home, but even these early revelations are making my skin crawl ... either i'm getting really cynical growing old in the 21st century, or i'm starting to see the possibility of a set up to get a reluctant father out from under that kind of responsibility, along with a pocket full of insurance $$$ and a brand new life, footloose and fancy free of a wife and baby, in a brand new location. what a disgusting thought that is ... i think i'll just go back to praying for lori's safety, along with her family's strength and courage, as well as the miracle of a functional law enforcement team handling this matter since we all know that's what it's going to take.

nanci
laskipper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the articles, Nanci and rd. This is so sad. I think people are getting nutz these days, en masse.

You're right about it looking bad for the husband. When someone is caught lying, you have to question everything else that they say or do. I find it odd that the husband is sitting by the phone. If it were me, I would not be back home until my loved one was found.

I'm glad you are praying for Lori, Nanci. It's really not looking good for her, as was mentioned.

Next, we'll probably read about a woman that Mark has been dating on the side.

ls
rd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new details, skipper, a lot about mattresses and boxsprings for some reason.

rd

from www.cnn.com (fair use)

Search expands for missing mom-to-be
Associated Press
July 21, 2004

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- The search for a pregnant woman who apparently vanished during a morning run was expanded Wednesday from a park and canyon into nearby neighborhoods.

Volunteers took fliers door-to-door in downtown Salt Lake City neighborhoods in their search for Lori Kay Hacking, who hasn't been seen since going for a run Monday morning.

Her tearful parents said they assume she has been abducted and pleaded on television for her safe return.

"We want to get Lori's face before the public, all over the country," her mother, Thelma Soares, told KUTV on Wednesday. "We need to find her, and we need all the eyes we can get."

More than 1,200 volunteers scoured the Memory Grove Park and City Creek Canyon area where Hacking, 27, was last seen. The canyon was searched twice Tuesday, but there were no signs of Hacking, and Thelma Soares expressed some relief that her daughter had not been found injured "or worse."

Hacking left her Salt Lake home around daybreak Monday for a run, Detective Dwayne Baird said. After she failed to show up at work later, her husband, Mark Hacking, called police, Baird said.

Her car was found parked near the front gates of the park. The car and one belonging to her husband were confiscated by police.

Police also seized items from the couple's apartment near the University of Utah. Authorities would not say what they removed, but television news footage showed paper bags, boxes and a box spring being taken from the residence.

Police impounded a large trash bin as well but would not confirm reports that investigators were examining a mattress found inside the bin. Detective Kevin Joiner said the bin was "somewhere between Memory Grove and the apartment."

Mark Hacking also was interviewed by police. "It's important that he be cleared of any suspicion from the beginning," said his father, Doug Hacking.

Doug Hacking said the couple were not having any marital problems. Mark and Lori Hacking have been married almost five years, and she learned last week that she is five weeks' pregnant.

They planned to move next week to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, where Mark Hacking is to attend medical school.

Among those who have assisted in the search were relatives of Elizabeth Smart, the girl who vanished from her home in 2002 and was found nine months later in a Salt Lake suburb.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press.
laskipper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sounding like she's dead and he killed her.

"Mark has been admitted to the psychiatric ward at the University of Utah Medical Center where he is on suicide watch."

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=39&sid=107919

New Developments Unfold In Missing Woman Case
Jul. 21, 2004

Douglas Hacking, Mark's Father: "WE WERE UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT MARK HAD APPLIED AND BEEN ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL AT DURHAM UNIVERSITY IN NORTH CAROLINA."

A shocking discovery in the Lori Hacking case. Her husband lied about going to medical school. But does that have anything to do with her disappearence? The revelation came just hours ago. Mark Hacking's parents were not even aware that their son had lied about his acceptance to school in North Carolina. And KSL has now learned that Mark has been admitted to the psychiatric ward at the University of Utah Medical Center where he is on suicide watch. Tonya Papanikolas joins us live with the latest.

No Text Available.

More removed from Hacking apartment:

Excerpt:
Police also have removed items from the couple's apartment near the University of Utah. Neither Joiner nor Baird would say what, if anything, was taken from the apartment, but television news footage showed paper bags, boxes and a box spring being removed from the apartment.

Police impounded a large trash bin, but Baird would not confirm reports that police were looking at a mattress found inside the bin. Neither spokesman would say where the bin was located, but Joiner said it was "somewhere between Memory Grove and the apartment."

Investigators also have impounded both Lori Hacking's car, left at the entrance of the park, and Mark Hacking's vehicle. Baird wouldn't say if anything had been found.

end excerpthttp://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20040721-1418-wst-missingjogger.html
rd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ever Scott Peterson has left a legacy, this is it.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is not looking good for Lori and seems like she is likely dead. It is difficult to understand why her husband would lie about his entrance to medical school, it is not like anyone would find out. It does seem like rather bad timing to have a baby. Likely he would have had to apply for medical school several months ago, and knowing that he would be going, it seems unreasonible to get pregnant at that time? However it seems that Mark did not apply at all to go to Med School.

Seems like Mark might have ditched part of the matress, part of the box springs. Well let us hope that her body is found and they can start to gather evidence in this case. It seems likely that Mark will try and say that he was insane, booking himself into a psychiatric ward, well he cannot be committed to there indefinately. Hopefully he will tell the parents what has become of their daughter, and they can accept what really happened instead of needlessly waiting for her to be found.

Sad to say there are more people in the world that are like Scott Peterson, and I think Mark is one of these people...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: