www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another missing woman/girl-Joanna Rogers, 16, of Lubbock, TX
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that can be done by anyone is mentioned on Kelly's website. She has partnered with Dana Ames and Sheila Holland of United Response to recruit volunteers from each state for a project called Campaign for the Missing 2006.

Campaign for the Missing 2006 is a grassroots effort to pass legislation in each state that will serve to improve the law enforcement community's ability to locate and ensure a safe return of missing persons. It will address the national problems of missing persons and the identification of human remains and provide the framework for improving law enforcement's response. It will also improve the collection of critical information about missing persons, prioritize high-risk missing persons cases, and ensure prompt dissemination of critical information to other law enforcement agencies and the public that can improve the likelihood of a safe return.

More information can be found here:

http://www.ursarteam.org/page/1806m/Home.html

or

http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/2005/12/121305-campaign-for-missing-2006.html

Everyone who has been involved in cases like these realizes that LE is often stretched to the limits on resources, and sadly, in some cases don't feel that it is a high priority issue compared to the daily challenges they face. There is also sometimes professional jealousy between agencies to contend with. What many do not realize is how much volunteer organizations can do to ease the strain on resources, provide assistance on searches, and facilitate communications between LE and the families, as well as other organizations that can help. The proposed legislation could help in many ways, and basically just needs people willing to contact their state senators and propose the legislation. Kelly has already done most of the leg work, providing sample letters and ways to help people find out whom to contact. The goal is to get this passed in every state, and eventually maybe we can look into a model to include neighboring countries.

Anyone with the time or inclination to assist in this project would be welcomed and appreciated. It may be one more way to bring closure to families such as the Rogers, Wilkersons, Jolkowskis and so many others who live in a world of uncertainty and doubt.
Nan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ - I'd hire you as sheriff's spokesman. You're a damned sight better than the one they have now.

You know, when I was in Lubbock I visited chat rooms (or the equivalent thereof in the early 90s on BBS systems and Prodigy) and "spoke" with many people. I believe, and I'm pretty certain of this, that of all the people I "spoke" to on them, I only met one individual in person. Ever. The weather was so foul there, and there was so little in the way of things for me to do with a small child in tow, that the internet became a sort of lifeline and social network. The fact that I ran into people from Lubbock on the boards just gave us something more or less in common to talk about.

SO, perhaps Joanna did talk to this guy online. There's nothing that they've told anyone so far (which doesn't mean anything - LE doesn't pass much along, for their reasons) that indicates she ever met him. Now, if it turns up she DID meet him, things get a bit dicier.

Has anyone heard anything about whether they've ID'd the remains yet? I haven't heard that they did, and that they are now thinking it's a "small framed" individual (i.e., kid or teen).

Interesting, in the letter from the Wilkerson's on Kelly's site. I was under the impression that Sgt. Parrot had been transferred to the recruit academy and was no longer associated with the investigations. Perhaps the pressure of people complaining has caused him to have been brought back? It would be wonderful if he was.
TJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nan wrote:

Has anyone heard anything about whether they've ID'd the remains yet? I haven't heard that they did, and that they are now thinking it's a "small framed" individual (i.e., kid or teen).

The Wilkerson's have not spoken to the sheriff since a week ago Friday. The new investigator in charge of Jen's case spoke to them on Thursday, but said nothing more than it was probably male, that they should know for sure between the 10th and 14th. A reporter states that it is not Jo or Jen, but does not provide a source. The sheriff remains noncommittal.

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=14934383&postID=113650353588193348
Nan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, TJ.

Again, I have to ask, how long would it take to look at those teeth and get back to the families? Even if they couldn't be sure, at least they could say they'd looked and that the results were inconclusive.

This is just unbelievable. Perhaps the sheriff's office needs to hire someone who can handle victim/family/media relations? Because nobody's doing it now, for sure.
Nan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 1999 girl, I believe they have someone in custody that they thought did it. See this that I found via google an old KCBD report:

5/31/05
Lubbock Police Make Arrest In 1999 Murder
Source: Lubbock Co. Sheriff
Amanda Gschwend

A Lubbock murder suspect is behind bars for a murder police say he committed six years ago.

Lubbock Police and the U.S. Marshall's Office issued a murder warrant and arrested 47-year-old Tony Ray Medford Tuesday afternoon. Medford is now awaiting extradition from a jail in Johnson County, Arkansas with a $500,000 bond.

Medford is charged with the 1999 murder of 19-year-old Amanda Gshwend. Gschwend's body was found in a cotton field in East Lubbock on July 1st, 1999.

~~~~~~~~~

I can't find anything that shows a suspect on the young woman killed in her apartment in 2000 has been arrested. So there are still six.
TJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nan wrote:
Thanks, TJ.

Again, I have to ask, how long would it take to look at those teeth and get back to the families? Even if they couldn't be sure, at least they could say they'd looked and that the results were inconclusive.

This is just unbelievable. Perhaps the sheriff's office needs to hire someone who can handle victim/family/media relations? Because nobody's doing it now, for sure.

I asked a friend with experience on the subject last week. I was told that even with just the upper jaw, they could probably confirm or eliminate possibilities based on dental records within a matter of hours. If true, both or at least one family could have had a good idea of the truth 8 days ago.
TJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was just posted on Kelly's blog.

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=14934383&postID=113669917662518831

I just got off the phone with Captain Overstreet of the Lubbock Sheriffs Department. He stated that he had just gotten off the phone with the pathologist, and that the body found outside of Lubbock last week was definitely a male, which eliminates both Jen and Joanna Rogers as possibilities.
Nan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: remains are neither of the girls Reply with quote

Capt. Overstreet called the family on Sunday at 4:30pm to let them know that the Medical Examiner's office has officially confirmed that the human remains found in Yellowhouse Canyon are that of a young male. Capt. Overstreet said that at this time no identification has been made, and there are no missing person reports in Lubbock of young males, so DNA will be submitted to the national DNA data base to see if any matches can be found.
rd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ wrote:
http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/

Kelly Jolkowski has some comments about the Nancy Grace show on her blog.

Excellent letter from Jennifer's parents. And you definitely should have been on Nancy Grace instead of that sherriff's spokesman, TJ!

Although Summer Baldwin was a prostitute and beaten to death as two others were before being left by the side of the road, the DNA found on them is not that of RR, the murderer of Summer Baldwin.

There was a lot of ambiguity about that on Nancy Grace, with linkage of Summer to the other prostitutes rather than Joanna, even though the DNA was not RR's and RR's IM name was on Jo's computer! Very misleading.

Summer's murder can be considered amateurish in retrospect, but if the suitcase she was in wasn't seen before being buried we would know no more about her disappearance than we do of Joanna's and Jennifer's.

Consider the following:

KAMC28 LOCAL NEWS

Police Arrest Suspect In Lubbock Landfill Murder

A man has been arrested in the landfill murder case.

Just two days after 29-year-old Summer Baldwin`s body was found stuffed in a suitcase at the city landfill, Rosendo Rodriguez III, 25, was arrested in San Antonio late Thursday afternoon and charged with murder. He was brought back to Lubbock late Thursday night.

Some quick and smart police work by the Lubbock Police Department and a clumsy trail left by Rodriguez led to the arrest.

"We were able to develop a number of different leads pointing different directions," said Lubbock Police Chief Claude Jones in a press conference announcing Rodriguez`s arrest. "We were able to identfy (Rodriguez) and track him to a residence in San Antonio, Texas."

Police reports state that sometime between 10:30 p.m. and midnight on Sunday, a friend of Baldwin`s says she saw her with Rodriguez in a red pickup at the 7-11 convenience store off Avenue Q and 8th Street. She says Baldwin told her she was going to have sex with Rodriguez for money.

A few hours later, surveillance video from the Wal-Mart on South Loop 289 shows Rodriguez using his debit card to buy a blcak suitcase and disposable gloves.

Investigators were able to match the bar code on the suitcase Baldwin`s body was discovered in to the one purchased at Wal-Mart.

Additional surveillance video shows Rodriguez in the Wal-Mart parking lot in a red pickup, the same vehicle that Baldwin was last seen in .

Police say Rodriguez dumped the suitcase containing Baldwin`s body inside a dumpster in the 5400 block of 8th Place.

Records show that Rodriguez`s debit card was then used late Monday and early Tuesday at the 7-11 and at the ATM in the lobby of the Holiday Inn Civic Center. More surveillance confirms Rodriguez was the one at 7-11.

I see nothing of a crime of passion in Summer's murder. She was a $20 trick taken to a motel and beaten to death. The trick was arranged for with enough time for Summer to tell a friend she was doing it and for the friend to see her in the truck with RR. Clearly simply arranged for a trick, arousing no suspicion.

Now, did this guy get angry after taking her to a motel and beat her to death because he got mad? Then calmly drive to Wal-mart and buy a suitcase and disposable gloves after losing his temper? The description of her was that she was beaten so severely her eyes were bulging out of her head. This was a methodical murder.

Even if a link to him was not found on Jo's computer I would suspect him as being the serial murderer of Jo and Jennifer, but with a link it's not even a question.

It will never be proven, but they will never find anybody else nor their bodies unless they dig up the landfill. That was too methodical to be dreamed up instead of driving out in the country and dumping bodies or whatever else one might think was done with Jo and Jennifer.

RR did go home to San Antonio after the murder. That tells me a number of things. One is that he was fairly free to move around, not with a strict work schedule. That would give him the time to be at Jo's in the middle of the night and Jennifer's in midmorning, in other words, full freedom to stalk.

I am not sure I understand the events given in the article above, but it looks to me like he didn't go to San Antonio until the news came out that the suitcase was found at the landfill. He picked her up Sunday night, he bought the suitcase later in the middle of the night, but he used his card at the motel 24 hours later, and again at the 7-11 where he picked her up?

It is said he was found in San Antonio on Thursday two days after the suitcase was found. That would be Tuesday. It looks to me like he didn't dump Summer Baldwin until after he had her in the motel for two days, and that he fled to San Antonio only after the suitcase being found was announced on the news.

I see no crime of passion or anything amateurish about this. I see no reason why he would not be the murderer of Joanna and Jennfer as well, and plenty of reason to think it.

rd
TJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd wrote:

Summer's murder can be considered amateurish in retrospect, but if the suitcase she was in wasn't seen before being buried we would know no more about her disappearance than we do of Joanna's and Jennifer's.

I see no crime of passion or anything amateurish about this. I see no reason why he would not be the murderer of Joanna and Jennfer as well, and plenty of reason to think it.

I'm not so sure, RD. He was seen with Summer, killed her in a motel room that could be traced to him, leaving blood evidence and probably DNA evidence of his presence. Even without a body, if her friend had reported her missing or the police had checked with the locals to find out who was missing, there is a good chance that this would have been solved anyway, just more difficult to prove without the body. Even that may have been recovered after tracing his movements and purchases - buying rubber gloves and a suitcase? Hmmm. This doesn't seem to be premeditated, or even well planned.

By crime of passion, I mean more likely a fit of drug or alcohol induced anger causing him to do something unplanned and stupid, and attempts to cover it up were not well thought out either.

There is no reason to think he was not involved in the disappearances of Jo or Jen, and a very solid link to show he was connected in some way with Jo, but still no evidence to prove it more than coincidental. Until then, all options must be left open.
rd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good rational approach, TJ. However, is purchasing the suitcase and gloves and having it behind his seat in the pickup considered somehow superior? Possibly. I think not.

Also, I'm sure Summer wasn't dead but only tied up when he went to Wal-Mart to buy what he needed to dispose of her. That is part of what I mean by being a methodical murderer. The other is staying at the motel for well over a day to murder her. The fact that her eyes were bulging out of her head seems to me that he strangled her repeatedly over that time. He is no amateur.

It appears to me he checked out in the middle of the night Monday night, well more than 24 hours after he checked in, checking out with a suitcase, of course trundled out on a cart with no one around, then dropped in a dumpster. Later that day it happens to be seen at the landfill as trucks drop off their loads. It just happened to be on top, and Lubbock sanitation thankfully has a trained man there looking for such things. Good job, indeed.

Whenever it hit the news it most certainly would have unnerved him and he fled out of town to his parents home in San Antonio, but still I don't consider that amateurish, just an unexpected surprise.

Did he really know that someone had seen him with her? I doubt it. The witness spoke of being told by Summer that she had a trick, and spoke of seeing him with her in a red truck. The description sounded as if from some distance, not like he drove up to a group of women on a street corner or something.

Also it may be assumed by some that he bought the latex gloves with the suitcase strictly to keep from leaving prints on the suitcase, however I assume he bought them to keep from leaving his own DNA as he beat her and strangled her over the course of more than several hours.

He would have checked out in the morning if she were already dead by then, although granted, he would prefer to check out later that night in the middle of the night with next to no one around, still one has to expect that she unfortunately lived through an ordeal for much of that time.

But he would have been wearing those gloves during that ordeal. Blood found? Was it found before the suitcase was found, or was it found after they knew what room to look in, and found with luminol? There is a difference.

The difference between an amateur and a serial murderer.

rd
Nan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAMC28 LOCAL NEWS
Judge Places Gag Order On Investigators Regarding Rogers Case

Be quiet or be held in contempt of court: that`s the order handed down by a Lubbock judge Tuesday afternoon regarding the Joanna Rogers case. Judge Jim Bob Darnell ordered that anyone involved in the investigation or prosecution of Rosendo Rodriguez III will not be allowed to talk to the media about his connection to the Rogers case. The matter came to a head on Friday when a CNN program, "The Nancy Grace Show", dedicated an entire hour to the missing girls in Lubbock and their possible connection to Rodriguez. Grace interviewed Lubbock County Sheriff David Gutierrez, Rosendo Rodriguez`s attorney, Albert Rodriguez, and Lubbock police detective Chris Bruenig. A gag order was in effect for all regarding the Summer Baldwin case. Rosendo is accused of killing the 29-year-old and stuffing her body in a suitcase. However, much of the discussion regarded Rosendo`s connection to the disappearance of Rogers. Judge Darnell caught wind of it after the Lubbock District Attorney`s Office complained of Rosendo`s attorney talking about the case. So Darnell decided to put a gag order on all involved until Rosendo`s murder case is complete. Kathy Rogers, Joanna`s mom, is not included in the gag order. She says she hopes it will allow the sheriff`s office to continue their investigation without the pressure of leaks. So far, Rosendo Rodriguez III has not been charged in the disappearance of Joanna Rogers.
rd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, Nan. It is important that RR get a fair trial, important that families are able to get a verdict for their murdered daughters.

But it was interesting that it was the prosecutor that complained, and that RR's defense attorney was not only not complaining, he was participating.

Also interesting that it was in regard to Joanna. A statement quoted earlier in this thread mentioned something about another connection being found concerning Joanna and RR besides the computer names on each other's computers, but I never saw what that could have been. Maybe that's what the prosecutor is trying to keep under wraps.

But as has been posted, I didn't see anything other than general information about who was missing and contact information on the show anyway. Certainly nothing that needed suppressing.

rd
Nan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they never said what the other information was, so we don't know if it's real, or if they were bluffing.
Nan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeletal Remains Found in Kent County (see KCBD.COM) for story

For the second time in three weeks, the Lubbock county medical examiners office will have to identify skeletal remains. This time, the remains were found in Kent County at the bottom of 20 foot water well in the county. NewsChannel 11's Cecelia Coy talked to investigators who say someone fessed up to knowing about the crime.

These are not believed to be either Joanna or Jennifer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 24 of 42

Jump to: