www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Murder on a Horse Trail - Discussion (1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Background Information on Chandra Levy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet if it happened nowadays you'd take the opportunuity to talk to her until the tow truck came. :) Given the opportunity you'd make some good points to her, I know that.

Kortnie, thanks so much for more of your thoughts on Murder on a Horse Trail. You've coined the initials for it, MHT. I like that. Makes it onvenient to refer to the book.

Along those lines, NE stands for National Enquirer. I'll have to revisit that and see if I use the initials too early without the context of spelling out National Enquirer just prior to it. Probably did not. Thanks for pointing that out.

Kortnie, on this board is a bell on the left hand side of every forum and topic. When it is brown there have been new postings in that forum and clicking into it shows a brown (rocking?) bell in front of every thread with new comments.

These topic focused threads allow for a history of ongoing discussion on a topic. For example, in Background on Chandra Levy and Background on Laci Peterson is all of our previous discussions on those two cases and one can read from beginning to end on how the case unfolded and our discussion on new information and theories. I see from views that people do go in and check out Background on Laci Peterson perhaps in discussing the trial elsewhere because we have the discussion with articles, pictures, comments, etc. putting controversial information in context from when it was first reported and commented upon by us.

With Missing in Utah Monday we have a similar history of Lori Hacking's murder and a segue to JonBenet's murder from the past. We'll hopefully be adding more to that thread as we have thoughts and news to add to it.

I'll stop here and post this and then look at your comments on MHT. Lots of good points you raise.

rd

Last edited by rd on Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
rd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kortnie wrote:
Hi Everybody! Well, since there is tumbleweed blowing around in the "Missing in Utah Monday" site, my usual spot, I decided that since I'm reading rd's book I will check out the MHT Discussion, so I did just a few minutes ago. And, lo and behold. There I am, and I didn't even know it. rd, thanks for putting in my comments about your book. I read more last night, and again did not want to put the book down. Sleep finally did win, but not because of the book. rd, I'm so impressed by all of your meticulous research. It is obvious you put your heart into this book. I find it hard to believe that a fancy-schmancy publishing house would not be interested in the book. It's interesting and it holds your interest. I say all of this realizing that a promising young woman had to die for this book to be written. But, that is the case. So, this book is an honor to her memory. I venture to say that Chandra is very grateful to you, rd. What about her parents?

Now, I have some questions. First, what is this "NE" you all keep referring to?

Second, I'm on p.90 and confused about something. At the top of the page: "Her purse, her wallet, her half-packed suitcases, her jewelry. I mean, just were not there." I thought that they WERE there. I thought that the deal was all she left her apt. with was basically nothing, and that looked suspicious???

An observation I have from these first 90 pages is that, considering the whole Monica debacle, I'm surprised that her mom and aunt were not more persistent that C divulge just who this congressman was and what the heck was going on. I mean, it's not like we were all still naive after Monica. It's obvious that C was very loved by her family; I feel sure that today they wish they'd done more. But, something about people is that they (irrationally) think a thing will never happen to them. For example, Mrs. Levy jokes to C about not becoming "another Monica," but, in fact, Chandra did, and EVEN WORSE: C is dead, while M lives (though she might wish she was dead, sometimes. Her life apres Bill hasn't been the best.

Well, hindsight is 20-20. If they didn't pressure C to divulge at that time, then they didn't. Quite naturally and normally, they did not know that evil was afoot. We have all had these experiences and then wracked with guilt later because we could not see an event that was forthcoming. It's irrational, but we blame ourselves just the same.

rd, despite all of your current problems (which will resolve themselves in time), by writing this book and getting it published by whomever, you have done a service to humanity. I'm not kidding --this is a valuable and important book. I think that it will become more well-known. Today I'm going to follow in Benn's footsteps and call my library, the East Baton Rouge Parish Public Library, where, yep Benn, I got a library card, and make them order it!!! Kortnie

The morning I finished it, February 26, I started contacting publishers about publishing it. I was sure it would be well received by readers. Random House invited me to send the manuscript, but all they did was add it to their slush pile. I doubt that anyone there has even seen it to this day.

Then I found out with more research that even if a publisher accepted the book, and this after many months of the writer pitching agents and publishers and then usually agents pitching publishers and then publishers pitching internally, even then after all that a book would be scheduled for publishing a year later. If I stuck with the way the publishing industry insists it work, I might have had an agent in four to six months who would apend all summer trying to get a publisher interested, which if successful would allow for Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy for Fall 2005!

Sorry, no thanks, they can go to hell as far as I am concerned. And of course that is what publishers are saying of writers, you don't like it, not a problem for us because we'll have some clerk throw away anything anybody sends us except from agents we're buddies with and you'll never hear fom us while we remain blissfully unaware of the existence of you and your pitiful book. So goes publishing.

So I was determined to have it out there for May 1 and paid to have it published with iUniverse, the publishing arm of Barnes & Noble. It only took me two weeks in April to work with the publisher to have the book formatted and make a cover from my design. It was listed May 1, just as I promised everyone here.

I got my author copies and went to Washington to hand deliver them with signed thank you's in the covers to the main sources in the book. None of them or their staff could be bothered to even take the book. In fact, most won't take anything you have to deliver. You have to send it in through the mailroom. At least with some I could drop off at the mailroom. With others I had to go around the corner and mail it from a post office across the street. This was after I had sent emails all along keeping them updated. If they ever saw the emails, they wanted nothing to do with me or Chandra Levy.

I also sent copies to Chandra's family. They have never responded to anything we have ever written, and as far as I know you must communicate with their lawyer, which we have noted here has changed a couple of times and we're not quite sure who their lawyer is. In any event, it's like with the reporters. Condit sues everyone right and left and everyone is afraid to touch this. I dare him and Lin Wood to find something they can sue me over. I wrote a libel proof book and they can stand on their head looking at it but they won't find anything in there libelous. So there. I may be the only person who dares publish something about Chandra without being afraid of being sued by Condit and his legal goons.

I do have the manuscript into a pulp paperback publisher with hopes it will be picked up as a true crime paperback and widely distributed. That is my goal, to get this information out there so people are aware of what really happened with Chandra's disappearance and ask why obvious questions in the book aren't being addressed. The Washington police and/or FBI would have the public believe they are "investigating", but no one has ever mentioned publically being talked to about Chandra since shortly after she was found.

That's a good catch of Lisa DePaulo misspeaking, Kortnie. Chandra's belongings "just were not there" was meant to be said as "just she was not there". That's the gist of her comments to Larry King there, and how the police misled the Levy's for days and days by being half assed idiots who couldn't be bothered to tell the Levy's the state of Chandra's apartment. As Bob Levy said, they seemed to be satisfied they didn't find a body lying there. Nope, no body, nothing up my sleeve, time for a doughnut.

The pressure on Chandra was there and quite frankly was intense to the point of contention between Chandra's heretofore unknown need for secrecy with a boyfriend in Congress and the parents anguished concern. If that pressure doesn't come through by the time you finish the book, perhaps I was too subtle in addressing it. For example, her response to Susan was "mind your own business" when Susan and OC called her after OC told her in Susan's garden about Condit's relationship with OC's daughter, Jennifer. This is serious stuff, and the Levys came in for the Passover visit just after that and there is more pressure from the family for Chandra to explain her boyfriend. This is covered in Explanation. The pressure was intense for the Levys.

I hope Chandra's story gets the attention it deserves. We poured our hearts into analyzing all the information we could find, and I hope people feel our hearts in it when they read this tragedy.

Thanks, Kortnie.

rd

Last edited by rd on Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kortnie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd,

Generally speaking, people are such cowards. You did the right thing, I believe, by not waiting. Today, I have gotten your book ordered for our library by communicating online w/Cindy Eastwood of the East Baton Rouge Parish Library (225-231-3755). She e-mailed me back saying," I'm sure this book will be ordered because of the subject matter." !!!!!!
SCORE! Also, it's a very popular library w/lots of vehicles in the parking lot all the time.

You know who gets published these days w /no problem? A non-writer like Pamela Anderson of "Baywatch" ( never saw an episode) w/big fake blonde hair and big fake......you know. SHE gets published; it's just unbelievable. Talk about an American anti-intellectual, for the most part, society.

These "people" in Washington are more like androids. You have fought the good fight, rd, and should be proudproudproud of what you've done. Right, they can go to hell, and probably will!

As for her parents, how ungrateful. They should be sending you flowers.

Have you tried St. Martin's True Crime Library? I'm going to e-mail them and extol/suggest your book. I will make nice-nice, promise. St. Martin's Press, 175 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10010

OK. So, her belongings WERE there? Kortnie
Kortnie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd, I went to St. Martin's Press: Frequently Asked Questions, because there is no other e-mail site. This is what I sent to webmaster@stmartins.com: Hello! My name is Kortnie, and I've read many St. Martin's true crime books. I purchase them at both Barnes & Noble and Wal-Mart. I want to suggest to you a current true crime book I'm reading published by the author but worthy of a St. Martin's imprint. It's "MHT: DCL by rd, iuniverse (2004). I ordered it from Books-A-Million. It's excellent, and I hope you might take a look at it. Sincerely (me)

It's raining, thundering and lightening as all-get-out right now, so signing off to continue reading MHT. Kortnie
jane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may be harsh to say Chandra's parents are ungrateful. There are so many possible reasons why they may hesitate to contact rd as the owner of this site or the author of a book about Chandra's murder. Generally from what we have seen of them in the media, they have been as fair and gracious as can be expected of anyone in their circumstances, so shouldn't we give them the benefit of the doubt (that they have a good reason)?

Like everyone here, though, I do appreciate your input so much in general, Kortnie!
blondie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps their atty. won't let them.
rd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's the case, blondie. They have been consistent throughout in trying to have their lawyer and police handle the case without them interfering, but quite frankly the police were so unhelpful they gradually had to talk more. I detail that in the book and show what they were going through and the anguished context of their interviews as time went along.

I have never seen anything else from them since they appeared at a grand jury in December 2002 just before Laci disappearaed, and they helped but kept a low profile in that tragedy. They probably get approached all the time for interviews but there aren't any, so iI'm sure it's not just me or this book that they're not responding to. It's all of Condit's lawsuits, I'm sure, and lawyers being lawyers.

rd

Last edited by rd on Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
rd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her belongings were there, but just as the Washington cops screwed up in not checking her apartment, not communicating to her parents that she was missing rather than moved out, and not getting the apartment building surveillance tapes, they in addition screwed up their assessment of Chandra's belongings. They described Chandra's suitcases as being packed and by the door, leading all, including her parents, to believe that she was ready to leave when she disappeared. This is so far from the truth that the DC police can only be described as completely incompetent.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think the library will have it? That is too cool, Kortnie. Thanks for contacting them.

This was my query sent to Joe Cleeman of St. Martin's Press. No response. Everyone is just overwhelmed with submissions and querys and at this point I believe the publishing industry is just publishing from what insiders are recommending to each other. What's hilarious is that these idiot publishers pay humongous advances to anyone with a name and lose money because the name books don't sell. The public is far smarter than these publishiong people at what is worth reading.

rd

Dear St. Martin's Press,

I am seeking an MMP publisher for my new book, Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy, a powerfully moving 97,000 word true crime investigation of the Chandra Levy case.

Murder on a Horse Trail is ready to go, the only thing standing between it and a very interested public is a printing run. It has been privately reviewed by key figures in the media and given full speed ahead, and more key reporters are reading it now. I think you can count on this book getting some critical coverage in the press from noted reporters once it hits the racks.

My current marketing text is on the online book sites for the hardcover, trade paperback, and e-book. The cover I designed is very appealing and a sure attraction in the racks. I will send the full ms wpd file ready to format for MMP as soon as you're ready to take a look at it.

I hope you're as interested in publishing the paperback as the public will be in picking it up at bookstores, airports, and paperback racks everywhere.

regards,
Ralph Daugherty

author, Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy
benn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Kortnie, Boxer was acting very business like trying to contact someone to come help her with her car. She had been driving down the freeway and ran over a piece of wire fencing, which somehow got stuck to the bottom of her car.

My boss and I had to go back to work. We were supposed to be watching the constructiuon on the theater next door. We had just taken a ten minute break. Boxer was parked in a service station, but it was a pump gas only service station. I think maybe they did do car washes there.

Sorry I mispelled your name in my last message. That was a typo. I get to typing too fast without doing enough proofreading. Someone brought my attention to it. I have changed it.

benn
Kortnie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You, Jane, you are right, there could be many possible reasons, and perhaps we may know of them in time??? Do we know if they are aware of rd's book?

Benn, you're funny. I saw that you typed "Kornie," and chuckled. That's OK! Everyone has typos at time. It's also ironic, though, 'cause one thing I'm not is "corny." I'm very serious and straightforward, albeit w/a good sense of humor, but never "corny," which means mawkish, trite, sentimental. It can also mean"having corns on the feet," but, and fortunately I believe, it's a "never" for those too! Well, I guess there are a few things I can be sentimental about, but still not mawkish or trite. Thanks, Benn.

Last night I read to p. 143. I think it's obvious that C was lured from her apt. by someone she trusted. The person could not go up to her apt. because there were no keys/card, a desk clerk has to buzz someone in. Too bad about the surveillance cameras, I mean, why on earth have them then? I also think it's obvious that Condit is covering up. I think he contributed the $10,000.00 because he knew she wouldn't be found. I think he did make those statements to Anne Marie about "disappearing." Concerning this town of Luray, I've been to Virginia and to lots of places in the East and I've never even heard of it! That must be some hole in the wall, and as rd said, you don't get there by happenstance. Do we have ANY idea of why he landed in Luray to make that secretive phone call? I know you are intimating stuff about the many caverns, rd, and that it's known in that area that Luray is a place where bodies get dumped. Condit is in this up to his eyeballs, and beyond. It's obvious that he's a cold, freezing cold, fish; is he cold enough to be a murderer?
rd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always say that's the last question to ask after every other question in the book is answered. The answers to all those questions answer that question.

There is no known reason why Condit was in Luray at midnight after leaving the House floor that morning. He was back in Washington the next day. It was a furtive mission, triggered by the police searching his dumpster and around his apartment building and having their search warrant for his apartment stopped by the US Atorney.

Joleen McKay went to the FBI and called Washington and urged them to search his apartment. Instead he was secretly protected by the US Attorney and made a secret journey to cave country in the middle of the night. He of course will never even admit it, much less explain it. That may give some insight as to the temperature of the blood flowing through his
veins.

rd
blondie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He requested to $10,000.00 back from the reward fund after she was found and he got it.
benn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd and Kortnie, I have read, probably right at this site that there are motorcycle clubs near or around Luray. The NE book had Condit and Vince Flammini going to a motorcycle club event in Nevada. According to the book Condit met a girl there. She was named, but I forget which one she was.

So Condit was into motorcycle clubs, and there are supposed to be some near Luray. Also I think I have read that one of his staff chiefs, it would have to be the Washington staff chief, lived near Luray.

I don't remember where I read that, but it might show up on google with a search.

It is obvious that the Washington Police did not want to do much investigating into what happened to Chandra. The police could have questioned a lot of the motorcycle club members. Many of them would perhaps have not said anything, but probably some of them would have answered questions.

I made a small noise with Barbara Boxer, and Dianne Feinstein also. We can keep making a noise and the case will not get forgotten anyway.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benn, if you ever visited Luray you would just laugh. It is one street, Main Street, that arcs off a little highway going up a mountain into a national forest. At the end of Main Street where it meets back up with the highway is Jellystone Park. You might find some kiddie cycles there.

Motorcycle club? Dumping ground for bodies? Yes, you will see that stuff from rabid internet posters and tabloids, only to serve their purpose of entertainment and thrill seeking. The place is so sleepy you would pass out trying to drive through it if not for a stoplight every block down the street. Makes for an internible journey and a chance to stop at the antique stores.

As for maybe an outlaw motorcycle gang out of town, there is no out of town. Just forest and caves.

The sheriff there is pretty sharp. Unlike Washington, D.C.

Also, there is no staffer that lives on the other side of the mountains that makeup George Washington National Forest from DC. It is a three hour drive.

In those crazy days of 2001 a lot of people posted a lot of crazy stuff to start rumors. Also this is difficult information to absorb so people confused Luray with Rock Creek Park (the real dumping ground for bodies) and Luray Va. with Alexandria, Va. (where the watch box was hidden in a trash can near Mike Dayton's house at the time).

A lot of confusion I try to clariify in Murder on a Horse Trail.

rd

Last edited by rd on Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Background Information on Chandra Levy All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: