www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Girl found in warehouse in Syracuse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Girl found in warehouse in Syracuse Reply with quote

I missed the notification she was missing. They didn't issue an Amber Alert because they weren't sure she was abducted. Glad she was found. Now they're looking for some cretin.

rd

from www.cnn.com (fair use)

Missing girl found bound in warehouse
Police search for the 5-year-old girl before she was discovered at an abandoned warehouse.

SYRACUSE, New York (AP) -- A 5-year-old girl was found bound in duct tape under a tarp at an abandoned warehouse Sunday, a day after she left home to visit a friend two blocks away.

A potential buyer of the warehouse in suburban DeWitt found the girl after he heard her crying and looked under the tarp. She was reported in stable condition at University Hospital, and gave authorities a description of her abductor, whom police were searching for Sunday night.

Police would not say Sunday whether the girl had been abused.

The girl's mother told police her daughter left their Syracuse home at 6 p.m. Saturday to visit her friend. The mother called the friend's house to see if the girl arrived safely and called police when she learned she hadn't.

A child found the girl's scooter on a nearby storm grate half an hour after she left home.

A state police helicopter searched the area with an infrared camera, police and neighbors combed nearby Schiller Park and fire department divers searched for the girl in the storm drain where the scooter was found.

Authorities alerted nearby residents but did not issue an Amber Alert because the disappearance was not known to be an abduction.

Police were looking for a thin white or Hispanic man in his 40s. The suspect is balding and had a mustache, police said. Investigators believe the suspect kidnapped the girl in a white older model four-door vehicle with a dirty gray interior.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press.
HEAVEN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: 5 YR OLD GIRL FOUND Reply with quote

IM SORRY I HAVE TO SAY THIS AT A TIME LIKE THIS, WHEN EVERYONE SHOULD BE HAPPY BECAUSE SHE IS BACK HOME.

BUT PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT KIND OF MOTHER OR PARENT WOULD ALLOW HER 5 YR OLD GO 2 BLOCKS TO A FRIENDS HOUSE ALL BY HERSELF AT 6PM?
I WOULDN'T NOT IN A MILLION YRS, SORRY BUT THATS MY WAY OF THINKING AND IM NOT GOING TO SAY IT WON'T HAPPEN TO MY CHILD, I PRAY TO GO IT DOENS'T BUT ILL BET ILL FEEL SAFER KEEPING THEM BY MY SIDE AT ALL TIMES.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL
jane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome, Heaven. I agree - it's not something I'd have allowed with my children. Mind you, my kids did do some things they weren't allowed to do at times, when I was in the house and thought they were playing in the backyard!
HEAVEN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, but at 5 yrs old you don't let your child go to her friends house thats 2 blocks away and at 6pm.. my kids will play in the
back yard yes, but never go to a friends house without asking, because they know i will beat their little butt.
This mother let her child walk 2 blocks..my god i can't even belive it, i have 4 children, 22,19, and 9 yr old twins....i was over protective with my older ones, but now with the twins ive been worst than ever, There is no way in heaven my kids will go to a friends house walking by themselves...and they are 9 yrs old...sorry thats the way i am..hopefully it will keep my kids safe, at least for now.
God Bless
rd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from the article she had a scooter, not walking, and two blocks isn't far on a scooter, but it does require crossing a street. I was allowed to go around the block at some point but not to cross a street. I was not allowed to leave the yard at age 5, that's for sure. But a year later I started school and was walking down the street to school. Certainly not allowed out of the yard at 6 pm.

Problem is I grew up with a yard. Many people live in apartments without a yard and the street is the yard. That probably does lure predators. We have plenty of examples of people being snatched from in front of their house though, even with a yard. Predators need to be monitored but if my mom kept me in my yard in the 1950's then moms in the 2000's have even more reason to do so.

rd
HEAVEN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you 100% you never can be too carefull, i know my mom was the same way, im 38 and i do it the old fashion way..lol
A 5 yr old should never be aloud to go out on their own, scooter or no scooter, to me its the same thing..5 yrs old to me is a babu still...a backyard is private and people tend to somewhat respect it a little more but even then i still open my sliding door and see them playing at all times, plus i have 2 big pit bulls in a kennel that protect them by just barking if anyone gets near the yard...I just wish people were never too carefull..like i said im not saying it can't happen to anyone,,it could even me, god please keep them safe..but ill do my dammest to keep them out of danger.
I remember as i was growing up in teh corner of my house a 6 yr old got run over by a car 5 times...diffrent time, diffrent occasiones..my god what was thismother doing? In the same corner..thank god as far as i can remmember he always survived...broken bones, legs, arms..i guess someone up there was watching this little angel.
propria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> I remember as i was growing up in teh corner of my house a 6 yr old got run over by a car 5 times...diffrent time, diffrent occasiones..my god what was thismother doing? In the same corner..thank god as far as i can remmember he always survived...broken bones, legs, arms..i guess someone up there was watching this little angel. <<<

hello, heaven ... and welcome aboard!

you are certainly right about your last point in the comments you've made, as it sounds like only a miracle could have kept this child alive under those circumstances. however, unless there were plenty of corroborating witnesses every single time this poor kid was 'hit by a car', i'd say that family needed to be carefully checked out for abusive behavior ... there is a lot more talk about child abuse today than there was a couple or three decades ago, but the abuse itself has been around all along.

you might be amazed, even today, at the kind of explanations that are put out there by parents of frequently injured children, and i've heard much wilder ones than that. in fact, now that i think of it, i'd say the family needed a close look, anyway ... a normal five year old should be able to learn to stay out of the street well enough to prevent all but maybe the first of those incidents. unless that little guy was mentally impaired to the extent that he couldn't learn from consequences, in which case i'd consider his parents to be guilty of criminal child neglect, you have to ask what was going on in his world that he was repeating what was essentially self destructive behavior.

nanci
peripeteia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Rumination....Need for Lobbying Against Violence Reply with quote

We live in a different world than when I grew up in the 50's, we went everywhere by ourselves, granted I lived on army bases but there were no gates in the housing areas, usually along side or near small towns. In Germany, we would take a bus to the nearest town 26 miles away, my siblings who were older and myself,
and go to a civilian pool on an army bus, and be there the whole day, and I wouldn't see my brother or sister after we got off the bus to the time we got back on it.

I too remember crossing the Atlantic on a cruise liner at 5 and back again when 6 1/2, the children would play by ourselves unsupervised, in fact many of the parents were sea sick, and we were not, there was no day care or programmes for Youth. In fact the purser would have us sit out side the eating lounge greeting the passengers arriving for supper, to keep one eye on the children.

I do not recall special things for the Youth, what a laugh, programs for youth, we were to be seen and not heard, so we avoided the company most times of adults, we played out doors and almost never went anywhere with our parents, no one had a car mostly until the 60's, or if you did it was for sunday drives, going swimming outdoor, visits, grocery shopping and errants, and emergencies. Sports we walked or ran or took a bus, no one went to lessons hardly and learning how to do stuff outside school. Mostly phyically activity was dodge ball, hide and seek, red rover
baseball for fun, no shirts, no rah rah, no parents. Just purely for fun. Most people I've known in the cities, went to some lessons, usually music, but that would be the stretch, later of course we joined teams at school and local one in the neighbour hood and got a sponsor.

Then again Canada was pretty unpopulated in the 50's. But today it is a different matter, and even my son had some freedom to go places, however, even in the last 10 years, this country has grown dramatically, the city were I come from doubled in 10 years.

It is unfortunate that the world is what it is, however, we know seem to see peodopiles getting more creative by taking children right out of their homes. More children than not are likely underprotected especially in intercities, I think part of it is being naviee. More education must go on TV and in the schools beginning in primary, and pre-schools, day cares, and also each of us must take some responsibility in knowning who the weirdos are in our neighbourhoods, the laws must also change.

On a provincial wide warrant for a pedophile (they are order to remain in the province by law for a specific time period stipulated by the court) if he has broken the bond, and gone to another province, he cannot be picked up in another province and brought back. Something is very wrong with this picture. There are many problems with rehabilitating sexual offenders, what society is doing presently to assist them is not working!
The laws are not stiff enough. This must change, more sooner than later.

As the population of the world continues to skyrocket, so do the number of sexual predators and pedophiles grow. I think that with the dangers getting to and from school, the bullies in the schools, and the inability of Parents to trust having their children cared for outside the home has lead many people to do home schooling, it is very popular here in Canada.

I think until danger crosses your path, it is always something that happens to someone else, it is not real somehow, or in some cases people have become terrorized from viewing on TV the horrors that are happening in the world, and are paralysized by this fear leading very limited lives where they trust no one. In North America, Asia, and Europe is akso, moving in this direction, that the problem of sexual offenders has grown completely and utterly out of control.

Considering also that 1-4 women in North America are victims of violence, in verbal, psychological and physical abuse, we can understand that many children are not nutured, also with mothers going to work, or both parents working, and the number of single parents who are away from the home during the day, this is problematic. This leaves many, many millions of children at risk.

The problem too of overprotecting our children, is that they are delayed in learning to be self sufficienting or make assessments about different kinds of people or make decisions on their own, simply by the nature of their life experience's being reduced, or limited to what the parents want them to see. I'm not saying this is wrong, only a secondary problem of trying to protect youth from the evils of the world. When it somes time to leave home and go to work or university or move away, then they are at risk, as they have not learned what is necessary for survival.

I'm just commenting, how very much our lives have changed, and many of us, most of us, do not know how to live in this new world order. For example, I had no fear whatsoever, of going where ever when ever, I simply trusted no one, that was my armour, but I was not afraid. Now I'm at home wondering if someone is going to break into my house, rob or steal my car, attack me on the street. It is no longer safe to go out in the daylight, never mind the dark. Women are started to disappear out of shopping malls getting into their cars in broad daylight, and children out windows.

Not many people know how to live and cope with things like this, New Yorkers and large city dwellers are somewhat old hats at this, well they have been afraid for longer than we have in our large cities in Canada, which do not hold a candle to NY. Likely all the populations of most of our largest cities would equal New York alone. We have only 30,000,000 people in a land mass larger than the States.

Make no mistake we have just as many weirdos and then some, so many horrific murders have taken place here in the last 20 years in Canada it is mindboggling. We have always had a problem with incest in this region, the East, I cannot speak for other areas of the country, put it is more wide spread here than in most of Canada.

Perhaps it is a British thing, Irish and Scottish included, I cannot comment on the First Nations and Aboriginal peoples, Native Canadians, I know that alcohol is a problem and violence, but incest, I'm not familiar with any stories of this problem. Most of our Native Canadians were abused by government officials in residential schools not by their families.

Native Canadians are very private people and do not tell others their problems normally, certainly not to white people. In past times the Afrocanadian population were not victims of incest, but again these are not people who tell their problems to white folks. However, with drugs now in the culture of many black peoples (which had never been the case here until very recent. I have heard that some black women say they have been victims of incest, usually a brother or uncle.

But society is reluctant to put the judge behind bars because he has molested his daughters and grandchildren, and likely one or two or more of their friends, from both generations. Well the jig is up! We as citizens must do something about this. It is important to lobby in whatever way we can to have better protection and to live without fear. Women and children are no longer safe, and the when something happens to them, the laws are not sufficent. This will only change when women and spokes people for children do something about it, and it is up to society as a whole to see that better laws for sexual offenders and peophiles are brought written. The laws around incest must change as well, this is a very serious crime, this cripples people for a life time. Getting raped and beaten is something that takes a great deal of work to live with, and the medical cost in psychiatry as a result of crimes of violence is staggering.

Not to mention that victimes services and modes of therapy are extremly poor, and wanting in most areas. The tragedy is that there is no teaching that goes on in these matters, it is still all hushed up, and when you speak out where is the help when you need it, not there! I believe that there are millions of unreported cases of molestation, child abuse, stalking and a whole host of other crimes against women and children.

I hope rd, that you having this site your book, the contribution of yourself and fellow members that there are issues that are brought up to awaken the need for siffer laws and more efficient police investigations, and therapy needed for offenders and victims. I'd like to think that it this journey of several years has made some people in authority take notice.

Hello Heaven, happy posting. Welcome

kate
rd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post, kate. Glad to have a new member like Heaven join us to discuss those issues you raise and maybe make a difference.

rd
HEAVEN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Glad to be here Reply with quote

Thank you for welcoming me, May god bless you all , You will be seeing more of me,
Take Care..
Love ya all
HEAVEN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Chandra Levy Reply with quote

Hi,
I don't want to sound like im lost here, (maybe i am) lol but where can i find the latest on Chandra?
I try not to listen to the news anymore, i just get into it so much and it makes me sad what is going on around us, our kids are getting killed, raped, molested, my god what a world.
If you guys can direct me the right direction i would appreciate it very much.
Thank you, God Bless you all.
rd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder on a Horse Trail - Discussion is our current discussion thread on Chandra. Of course questions, comments, and other threads on Chandra can be posted in Latest Discussion.

I would hope the latest is in the book. Certainly plenty to discuss!

rd
jane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HEAVEN - not much has been happening there - the last thing we posted about it (aside from rehashing) was about the Condit v Dunne case where the judge rejected Dunne's appeal to stop the proceedings.

The 'Murder on a Horsetrail - Discussion' thread has the latest discussion, I think.
HEAVEN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jane and Rd...ill go look now...God Bless
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: