www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chandra's birthday check
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Chandra's birthday check Reply with quote

I was thinking about the $54 check Chandra received for her 24th birthday from her godparents. It doesn't make sense that it was neither in her apartment, nor had it been deposited or cashed (according to media reports). How could it have disappeared?
rd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. She had had it for about two weeks after it was given to her on her birthday at her godparents who live in the Washington DC area.

I would assume she put it in her purse. Why would she take it out to be able to lose it? Given that the godparents live in the area, she could have intended to cash the check at a branch of their bank. Was there a branch in the DuPont Circle area?

She would likely have had a bank account while she was in DC. Did she have one? When was her last deposit? Had she closed her bank account or talked about closing it?

She had only been told her internship had ended a week before. Had she received her last paycheck from the Bureau of Prisons? If not, when was it sent out? Was she waiting on it?

Was she still receiving mail at the Newport? Had she filed a mail forwarding form at the Post Office with an effective date?

She did have an ATM card according to one report. Was it her Washington area bank card or was she using a nationwide ATM network to withdraw money and writing checks from a bank back home?

None of these questions have been addressed publically by the police or the Levys. There should be answers to these questions available to the Levys if not the public.

rd
propria

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> Had she closed her bank account or talked about closing it? <<<

that's a really good question, rd ...

and the status of her checking account could also go a long way toward indicating whether she planned to return to washington after her graduation. i wonder if we could get that kind of information in a foia request?

nanci
rd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The privacy stuff is pretty hard to fight, nanci. That's why I was thinking at least the Levys should be able to be given the information and they can talk about it, but I doubt they have been given the information, if in fact the Washington police or FBI have it.

I think we may have to do something like what you're suggesting, but in the Levys name and for them to get the information. That is if it's really a privacy issue. I would think not but these government people get a little spookier every day.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There appears to be information that should jog the minds of the enquiring Grand Jury. What is the posibility that Chandra's case could be heard in Modesto, that a grand jury look into matters there? Is this possible? Can the District Attorney in Modesto pressure the DA in Washington to have the Grand Jury reexamine some basic evidence in this case. accounts, keys, cheques

One wonders with even the clean comforted at the door with the bags packed that she was ready to bolt, perhaps she was on her way to the bank. Has the Government ever issued a composite photo of what she would have looked like with the clothes she has on with the headphones and tennis sneakers, the day that she went missing. Oh and the sunglasses she was wearing???? Did anyone see this woman????If Chandra was on her way to do a business transaction we know she never arrived there, or we know she never spent any monies this day. Was she just randomly nabbed on the way to conduct every day business.

Chandra might have left the check at Condit's apartment, perhaps even on purpose. Or dropped it somewhere on purpose on her trip through the woods while she may have been still alive. Perhaps she forgot it and or lost it or perhap she is like me, throws away cheques in the garbage with the birthday or christmas wrappings, I know of at least 4 times I've done this once with my wedding gift monies and cheques.

There are questions that remain unanswered. The examination of chandra's larynx which remains in the Medical Examiners files. Chandra's dissmissile at BOP. Statements of those central to the case, Anne marie Smith, Denis Edeline, her coworker Sven, and Errol Thompson and information from the Gym and the Newport. The examination of chandra's burial site, should have concluded whether Chandra had been dumped there or was murdered at the sight. Why the dogs were not brought in immediately, why the scream was ignored? Why the bowing to Gary Condit, the police should be questioned about their kid glove handling of the Congressman.

From what i know of the grand jury in a murder case can always be resurrected, time and time again, provided that there is new evidence, or if evidence was ignored in the first instance. Given that Gary Condit refused to sit before them claiming the 5th or political immunity, or national security or whatever he said to the District Attorney, I'm sure the Grand Jury was not privy to, other than the 5th.

This smells a tad. Hello Gary Condit you were amoung the last person known to have spoke to chandra. Gary Condit did not have the right not to appear before them and provide whatever information he knew, he was not obliged to answer personal questions like if he was sleeping with Chandra, but to have said, nothing and refused to appear before the Grand Jury is just not acceptable considering his lies, and information such as witholding the information about the train has never been answered. This should not be. An explanation must be given so more evidence is given to the investigators to try and find what became of chandra. This is not to say that Gary may have anything to do with it, but if he told the truth, perhaps any new evidence might lead the way to Chandra's murderer.

Chandra closed her account at the Gym, so although dressed for exercise Chandra did not allegedly go to the Gym...Chandra could have made arrangements with someone from the gym to meet in RCPark?

It it was the first of the month, makes sense Jane that she would be going to the Bank, she would have had to pay Edeline more money, even if she only stayed the week. She likely would have been paying this on her own, as her parents were expecting her home. Chandra's mother stated that they paid for the rent and the telephone. One of Chandra's friends said she wanted to remain in Washington and Chandra had told her Mother that her plans were uncertain.

Evidence that a cheque is missing, is significant, was chandra on her way to the bank and got nabbed off the street. In Canada the fares change dramatically on May 1st, it inters a shoulder season, fares are much much higher, it use to be the same in the USA. Perhaps this is not the case with internal flights and long hauls on May 1st. Then again sometimes the companies offer deals begining the first of May. It is certainly a sale day, and on a Tuesday it would be a great day to pick up business having a sale. If there were no dramatic sales and the shoulder season rule was in application at the time, it makes no sense chandra had not purchase her ticket beofre MAY 1 st. unless waiting for a sale.

Chandra had no groceries to speak of, she had to get something to eat unless these were left overs from that day that were found in her fridge. Doesn't seem like she was staying a week, if so she would have had to go that day for something to eat or get groceries.

Joyce Chaing went missing from the same neighbourhood, and Christina Mizyran also....Christina was beaten and likely sexually assulted, and we do not know about chandra and joyce as their bodies were in too poor a condition to tell.

There are three things these women all had in common, they lived near the same neighbourhood and they all had ties to the government. It almost seems like a Ted Bundy at work. A Ted Bundy with ties to the Government or ties to the community or both. Gary Condit knew two of these women. This is rather extrodinary. However there are many others who would have known these women in common, with their ties also to California, which they all had in common.

There is certainly more investigation that needs to go on. Who might they all have known in common, a short list to start the investigation. Where might they all have gone in common, all three were of different nationalities and likely eating patterns, did they all go to a speciality shop for food, might they all have been vegetarians???? What ties might these women had to Mary Caitlain Mahoney. Where did Mary live? Who did she know in common to these people. Although it is alleged that they have the murderer of Mary Caitlain, but this is doubtable, even if the accused admitted doing this...The tackicts used in the investigation are suspect, well there is a tale to it, which is a little loose with the details since this matter did not go to trial as the dude pleaded guilty.

There is evidence that the people are satisified that has been made known, that there is much that has not been considered before the grand jury and in light of the poor investigation they should look into this matter
much further.
laskipper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Lots of questions, no answers Reply with quote

You raise some good questions, Peri. And we haven't gotten any closer to answers in the last 2+ years.

Brad Garrett- he's the man that kept the lid on the truth in the matter of Chandra's disappearance/murder. Same with the Vince Foster "suicide", Mary Mahoney and more. Damage control.

Did we ever learn if he is somehow related to Mark Garret? He is the man who worked for both Condit and Coehlo as well as Grey Davis. He has a real estate and investment firm (in California) and was in DC from 1989 to 1992.

Because the murder case of Chandra is still open, I would guess that you wouldn't be able to access any info about the birthday check or anything else, Nanci. But, it would be worth a try.

ls
jane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skipper - it would be interesting to see a complete list of cases Brad Garrett has handled. Chandra's and the other cases you mention are certainly controversial (to some, at least!) It does seem like maybe he's Mr Damage Control. That seems like a more apt title than Mr Persistent who doesn't rest until he gets to the bottom of a case. Based on Chandra's case alone, everyone on this board, off the cuff, can make a long list of questions that haven't yet been answered or even asked and facts that have not yet been checked (to the best of our knowledge) that should be checked. Much of this stuff is just very elementary and simple to check for those that have the access and power to do so.
benn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello kate and skipper and anyone else. kate wrote:

>>>There appears to be information that should jog the minds of the enquiring Grand Jury. What is the posibility that Chandra's case could be heard in Modesto, that a grand jury look into matters there? Is this possible? Can the District Attorney in Modesto pressure the DA in Washington to have the Grand Jury reexamine some basic evidence in this case. accounts, keys, cheques<<<

I don't know what set of circumstances could get a grand jury in Stanislaus County to look at at least some parts of the case, but I have sent emails to many places suggesting that Modesto should be involved in the police investigation. I have written DA Brazelton twice, and brought up that subject both times. (No answer either time). I also mentioned it in a letter to Senator Feinstein just a week or so ago. i can still write to Senator Barbara Boxer, but she was a holdout for Condit for a long time.

It sort of bugs me that DC is taking charge of legal problems in California.

About the unfound check, I had a check from a relative once and sort of delayed depositing it, and I misplaced it. I did not mention that to my relative, just decided it was better to forget about it. I don't like to go to banks and I usually deposit checks by mail, or at the ATM machine.

Chandra could have considered that maybe she did not want her godparents to be out any money and just destroyed the check, but it does not sound like that.

I don't really think that any grand jury is really against hearing more of this case, unless they are all politicians on the jury, but from what little I have read about grand juries the DA decides was is going to happen in the grand jury hearing. If the DA is a politician, maybe too bad for justice.

All of this brings up a problem here, and that is that from time to time we might accomplish much more if we just had a little legal advice. I don't think anyone here wants to be paying anything for an attorney, so maybe there is some free lagal advice that we could get. Maybe a law student giving an opinion, or filing something, would be better than no legal arm at all.

I was fired from a job once, and I did not feel much loss in leaving there, but I did not have an immediate job so I contested the firing so I could get unemployment benefits, for a short time at least. I contacted some place that advertised free legal help, from law students; and a young woman law student phoned me one day and said that she would go to a meeting with me that I was going to at my employer's office, along with the President of the union that I belonged to at the present time. I thanked the law student for her willingness to help, but I decided that it was probably just as well that I went to the meeting with just the assistance of the President of my union.

The only reason I bring this up is that there must be some free sources of legal advice and help, that might try to us get some action from a grand jury, or let us see information that the police have and do not make public. I read one book by Ann Rule, and the niece of the victim worked with the police for about nine years before the murderer was finally arrested and brought to trial. Of course that was a small town police force, compared to DC, and it was not such a complicated case.

All a lawyer has to do is to say the right word at the right time, and people start to jump. I went to court once with the woman manager of a branch of a large publishing company. The local branch had received threats from a street person, and I was a witness. I, and an employee from the publishing company, waited in the hall while the manager went into the courtroom to talk to the judge.

The manager did not talk very long. She had not brought a lawyer with her, and the judge would not hear anything that she had to say. So we left.

Sometimes a lawyer is necessary, maybe here.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was that one very nice law professor in Dayton we corresponded with once, I think. Also I exchanged emails once with that writer on FindLaw who wrote good articles on the case.

In both cases I invited them to participate here but they were too busy. I don't recall asking for any legal help from them.

From what I can tell, Washington only responds to public pressure. If the Levys lawyer Mr. Washington insider Billy Martin can't move them I don't know who could.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know too much about Billy Martin, he is a Washingtonian, maybe the Levys should have gotten an outside attorney. If you survive in Washington you must have to play the game.

Pressure I guess is the name of the game.

benn
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think your right there Jane...Seems to me that there was odd circumstances in Joyce Chaing's case as well, besides the suicide notion.
Wasn't some guy put on as a string by the fbi and he got murdered, or was this in Cailain Mahoney's case?

It would be interesting to learn what the case in law was that Joyce was involved with, there was something about an investigation? This is curious, as Chandra likely would have crossed paths with investigative work being done on the McVeigh Case. Which was announced the 9th of May to the public, however, when did this become known??? Is a government employee involved.

Which makes me ponder, had Chandra may have come across proof of the lost files, had she spilled the beans, it is possible. How was it discovered that the files were missing? I do not think the public got accurate indepth information on who or when this was discovered. Please correct me if I'm in error here.

One really wonders why Garret keeps appearing in these potentially explosive situations? You wonder if there is allot that is not known for the very fact that he is involved? Potential coverup situations! You begin to wonder if there is not something way more sinister than we can begin to imagine in the murders of Joyce, Caitlain, Chandra and perhaps Christine?

Joyce and Chandra appear to have been murdered in a similar fashion, lured, or abducted, perhaps assulted and then dumped. Joyce and Chandra had very much in common, and appear to have similar personalities. Both were very capable women, there were of the same build and age, from California, and both involved with the government, and civil servants and elected represenatitives. joyce information
http://www.unsolved.com/0206-Chiang.html

This is about Christine:
http://www.yaleherald.com/archive/xxvi/9.4.98/news/briefs.html

http://www.thehoya.com/news/050499/news1.htm
Tuesday, May 4th, 1999
Looking Back At 1998-1999

By Andy Amend
And Clay Risen
Hoya Staff Writers

Canal Road Murder

Christine Mirzayan, a summer resident in Nevils, was found raped and murdered in the wooded area along Canal Road below Village A Aug. 2. The crime, which shocked the community and cast a dark pall over freshman orientation, has yet to produce any substantive leads, according to Director of Media Relations Dan Wackerman. The National Park Service owns the wooded area.

The Mirzayan murder was the first in Georgetown in several years and the first ever involving an active member of the university community. Mirzayan, 28, had been serving as a post-doctoral fellow with the National Resource Council.

According to friends, Mirzayan had attended a party for departing interns near 44th Street, N.W., the night before. When a group of her friends wanted to go dancing around 10 p.m., Mirzayan decided to walk home.

Police believe that Mirzayan walked down Foxhall Road to Canal Road, and then tried to take a shortcut through the woods toward Village A. Police suspect she may have been attacked by someone living in the woods, an area frequented by the homeless.

Mirzayan’s half-naked and badly beaten body was found a few feet from the sidewalk around 1 p.m. the next day.

On Aug. 8, Alexandria police shot and killed Darnell Lee Tinsley, who was wanted in connection to a series of rapes in the D.C. area. While Tinsley was not a prime suspect in the Mirzayan murder, The Washington Times reported reported on Aug. 25 the D.C. Metro police were investigating whether he may have had any connection to Mirzayan’s death.

However, the D.C. police have yet to turn up any real evidence and by many accounts the case looks like it will never be solved. A poster asking for information about Mirzayan’s death, including a photograph of her, still hangs in the window of the Community Policing Center on M Street.

At the same time, the murder has heightened concerns about safety on and around campus this year. During the New Student Orientation in late August, school officials placed extra emphasis on student safety education and sent letters to all on- and off-campus residents describing the incident. And in October, a group of students filmed a video demonstrating security problems in several university dormitories.

While on-campus crime is at its lowest level in years and the Mirzayan murder seems to have faded into the collective memory of the Georgetown community, the recent attempted sexual assault of a female student on 34th Street has provided a sobering bracket to the school year, once again awakening the university community to the realities of campus safety.

The National Academy of Sciences, which the NRC is affiliated with, is offering $10,000 for information leading to an arrest in the Mirzayan’s case.
/quote

Christine, odd that she would choose to walk home alone along such a deserted path. She was Iranian and one would think that besides things go thump in the night, one would think by reason of cultural education that she would not have walked home alone at dusk or in the dark. This has always stuck me odd, that anyone would do this. However, the articles state that murder was uncommon in Georgetown, the previous murders had been at starbucks, Mary Caitlain Mahoney and the other 3 victims, that by all accounts murder rates were considered low in the area!

Who Christine knew within the Government is not know, she worked on cellular biology. She has a scholarship in her name at the university, 10,000.

One interesting thing is that where chandra, joyce and christine were found were national park properties!!! Is there a lurk who works for national parks???? Is there a lurk who lurks out in these parks. However, it is very unlikely that on the cold night of January that Joyce went into a park for a walk after her tea!

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0107/19/lkl.00.html
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benn in the Moxley case, it was put on the cold case list until the DA retired. This opened the way to have the evidence examined by the Grand Jury. As it turns out the DA was a Kennedy crony. So the DA's office seems subject to policital winds or something. Certainly there should have been an investigation into a number of other Kennedy clan doings and there has not been. The deaths of marilyn monroe and mary-jo kapettnick (m.s.), were down played and poorly investigated.

What would it take to influence the DA, well your letter writing Benn is a step in the right direction. Your a good man, Benn, keep up the good work. Have you written to John Walsh?
kate
jane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the birthday cheque - of course, Chandra could have destroyed it, although, I can only see anyone doing that if the giver of the cheque was kind of poor, out of thoughtfulness for their situation, or if it was from someone despised to the extent that their gifts were unwelcome. Neither of these scenarios seems likely.

She could have lost the cheque - it is certainly possible.

However it has to be admitted that there are only two things that one would normally expect: that the cheque was deposited/cashed, in which case the godparents would have known when it cleared. Or that it was somewhere in the apartment.

But neither of these likely things happened, which leads me to wonder whether she had the cheque on her at the time of her disappearance. But if she had been about to deposit or cash it, she should have had a bank card on her also.
benn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello kate, I was thinking about writing to John Walsh. I think he is sort of politically correct, he has to be partly correct to keep his tv programs going, and co-operating with the different police departments in making the programs.

The Joyce Chiang case is very interesting. In most of these cases the victims were not being cautious enough, walking alone at night, and possibly having dates with people no one knew about.

Condit in some of these cases seems to set himself up as a possible suspect, with no one knowing where he was, or when, and whom he was dating. Condit's secrecy with unknown girlfriends seems doomed from the start, unless he quit it. Only one or two girls would have to talk just a little bit, and the bible studying Congressman would be known to everyone as putting up a false front. Since he needed votes to stay in Congress, he was taking a chance on not getting re-elected with each new girl whom he dated.

He told someone, maybe Anne Marie, "Look what they are trying to do to me." No one was doing anything to him, he did it to himself.

I am wondering if any of Condit's lawsuits will ever get to court.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Walsh strongly believed it could be a serial killer behind those murders, but the police don't even believe Chiang was murdered, so it's hard to get anyone to act when the Washington police act the way they do, starting with not having any forensic evidence .

It is far too easy for murderers to get away with murder when women disappear and are not found until all evidence has been destroyed..

jane, it is possible to deposit a check without the ATM card by walking into the bank with the check and a deposit slip.

It is also possible to cash the check from a branch where the check was drawn upon, but not without identification, so that rules that out.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: