www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Wisconsin student missing, and police puzzled
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propria wrote:
thanks for the explanation, rd ...

my mind is pretty easily boggled by the kind of technology that makes it possible to do stuff like go onto the internet from somewhere like a swamp, whether that's where audrey did that or not. i suspect you're right about her going to a friend's place, but unless the friend wasn't home at the time and didn't know she was there, he or she could also find themselves looking at paying back some of that investigative cost.

even though this turned out to be a hoax, i sure was impressed by the way madison law enforcement took control of this situation and went after the truth in typical down to earth, direct and straightforward midwestern style ... too bad chandra didn't have anyone with that kind of attitude taking the same approach after she disappeared!

nanci

Exactly! Not only was it Washington, D.C., which is corrupt and overwhelmed with crime, but it involved a member of Congress whom they essentially gave diplomatic immunity.

A midwestern town wouldn't tolerate such nonsense.

The wireless is literally just the laptop dialing up with a cell phone instead of a home phone line. The little card you stick in the laptop is a cell phone. Nothing magic about it at all. It's really neat and powerful, but based on access to cell phone towers that can handle the new small digital cell phones. I think everyone has one now.

I retired my Motorola Star Tak brick analog cell phone last fall after ten years of service. But it used the old equipment on cell phone towers that wireless laptops and digital cell phones (the small ones with unlimited nationwide call time, etc.) can't talk to. They only talk to the new equipment, and the old stuff will be retired soon anyway whether I wanted to keep using my Motorola or not. :)

rd
propria

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, rd ...

my older son, who is in knowledge management with heineken, tells me stuff like that all the time ... my response to him is to imitate a robot wobbling around and squawking through its speaker 'does not compute, does not compute'!! fortunately, the world has folks like you and my son in it, so we don't have to rely on old ladies with extremely limited cybersmarts to handle our progress in technological matters!!

i agree with you, too, that chandra's case would have gone entirely differently under solidly midwestern law enforcement policies, and i still think that gainer was 'promoted' in order to distance him from that investigation ... he has a longstanding reputation with the illinois state police of being a major bulldog in matters like that, and a bulldog was the last thing 'the powers that be' wanted in that picture.

nanci
rd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is remarkable that he was the only one of the Washington police spokesmen to make coherent statements, the only one who showed real concern, and the only one who regretted how the investigation was handled.

And now he's gone too. The only people who acted like they had any competence were ex-D.C. detectives. They were ex while being competent for some reason.

rd
blondie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She could have gone to a Kinko's or a library to access her computer.
propria

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bingo, blondie ...

i betcha anything that the places where she was spotted around town are in the vicinity of facilities like that ... good catch!!

nanci
rd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I was thinking friend blondie because I thought she was not necessarily out there all four days and was indoors some either during the day or night, but you're right. That's probably where she accessed a computer.

rd
propria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Student Charged With Faking Abduction

By JENNY PRICE, AP

MADISON, Wis. (April 14) - A college student accused of faking her own kidnapping last month was charged Wednesday with lying to police in what they suggested was a desperate attempt to get her boyfriend's attention. Audrey Seiler, a 20-year-old sophomore at the University of Wisconsin, was charged with two misdemeanor counts of obstructing officers. Each charge carries up to nine months in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Seiler's claim touched off a major manhunt.

Seiler disappeared from her off-campus apartment March 27 without her coat or purse. She was discovered curled in a fetal position in a marsh four days later, and told police that a man had abducted her at knifepoint.

But police concluded Seiler made up the story after obtaining a store videotape that showed her buying the knife, duct tape, rope and cold medicine she claimed her abductor used to restrain her. Seiler confessed after she was confronted with the tape, according to authorities.

''I set up everything. I'm just so messed up. I'm sorry,'' they quoted her as saying. But she later recanted the statement, insisting she had been abducted.

Hundreds of people from Madison and Seiler's hometown searched for her after she disappeared, and her claim about an armed man touched off a major manhunt that authorities said cost the police about $96,000.

Her first court appearance was scheduled for Thursday, but her attorney was expected to appear in her place.

The criminal complaint depicts Seiler as a young woman upset by a fading relationship with her boyfriend, Ryan Fisher.

Friends said the two had been fighting, and Seiler's roommate, Heather Thue, told officers that Fisher did not pay as much attention to Seiler as she wanted. Seiler's mother told police her daughter had not been herself lately and was ''extremely needy'' of Fisher.

Three days before she disappeared, her laptop was used to log onto Fisher's e-mail account and read exchanges ''with romantic overtones'' between him and another woman, according to the complaint.

A message left at Seiler's home in Rockford, Minn., was not immediately returned. The family's attorney was traveling and did not immediately return calls.

Seiler had been under a doctor's care after she was found, but returned home last week. ''Dateline NBC'' reported that she was in a psychiatric facility.

Seiler had also reported an unexplained attack in February, saying she was struck from behind and left unconscious. But the complaint does not say whether police believe that attack was also fabricated.

According to police, one woman spotted Seiler on a bike path near the marsh on March 29, 30 and 31. On March 31, the woman said, she saw Seiler lying in the fetal position. When she asked how Seiler was, Seiler sat up and said she was OK and liked to come to the marsh after class to relax.

04-14-04 1730EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: