www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Chandra Levy Disappearance and Murder: Two Years Now (3)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Background Information on Chandra Levy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: The Chandra Levy Disappearance and Murder: Two Years Now (3) Reply with quote

Going into Christmas 2003, two and a half years after Chandra disappeared, a year and half after she was found murdered in Rock Creek Park, a half year after the grand jury questioned Guandique and disappeared themselves, I'm going to post some quotes from those close to the case about their puzzlement over the police not investigating her disappearance and murder.

Holding the DC police and FBI accountable won't bring Chandra back, even convicting someone for her murder won't bring her back, but no one should have to go through what the Levy's went through when they put their trust in the DC police and FBI. We will post what they and others had to say about it through their ordeal, and through them, a shared experience of loss.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all my research into Luray, I never saw this. The question was: when did Condit come back after a Thursday midnight call from a darkened McDonald's payphone? No one had been able to post a sighting of Condit until the following Monday when he voted.

Reporters sighted Condit the next day, so Condit came back from Luray that night. I drove it recently in early morning traffic, from Luray to Rock Creek Park. I posted how long it took earlier in this thread. I'll have to check.

rd

D.C. Puzzles Over Missing USC Student
Search: Police grapple with rumors and few clues in California woman's disappearance.
By RICHARD A. SERRANO, ROBERT L. JACKSON, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
May 19, 2001

Condit appeared briefly Friday outside his office building and immediately was surrounded by camera crews. He repeated that he would have no comment while the investigation was proceeding. Condit missed three roll-call votes Thursday, and aides in his Washington office have shielded him from responding directly to questions about the Levy case.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's a question we should pose to Richard Riordan, former mayor of LA when Chandra interned for the city. I saw him just a few days ago on an Ethics in Reporting panel on C-Span, discussing the LA Times handling of grope reports against Arnold and other issues such as Jayson Blair making up stories at the NY Times.

What role did Riordan play in trashing Chandra to protect Condit when it was critical for the police to have investigated? Read the report below. He got this information from somewhere. Where? If Riordan can discuss ethics in reporting, he surely can discuss his ethics in what was reported.

rd

Who is Chandra Levy?
By Frank J. Murray
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
July 29, 2001

Mr. Condit reportedly told police he broke off his "close friendship" with her April 28. One of his lawyers told reporters she then harassed the congressman by phone, calling five times the next day and trying his pager some 20 times over two days. He portrayed her as "extremely disappointed and distraught, refusing to take no for an answer."

A similar tale of Chandra not taking "no" for an answer -- but with fewer specifics -- recently was recounted by Mr. Riordan to House Majority Whip Thomas DeLay, according to a source present when the former Los Angeles mayor told the story.

Neither Mr. Riordan nor Mr. DeLay responded to The Times' requests through press aides to discuss that conversation for this article, but neither denied it.

Riordan spokeswoman Carolyn Guevera said she would pass on the inquiry, but that Chandra "didn't have direct contact with the mayor" when she interned on his staff.
blondie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"didn't have direct contact with the mayor" ???????? There is a picture of Chandra and Riordan in the AMI book right below the picture of her with Gray Davis.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting, blondie. I didn't see the AMI book on Chandra. I think some people here have seen it but I don't think any of us wanted to spend the money on stuff that didn't make it into National Enquirer. :)

Them having that picture though puts Riordan into a similar position as Condit, though. Hey, she just came by to have her picture taken...

rd
jane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A similar tale of Chandra not taking "no" for an answer -- but with fewer specifics -- recently was recounted by Mr. Riordan to House Majority Whip Thomas DeLay, according to a source present when the former Los Angeles mayor told the story.

This can mean anything, so it means nothing. Someone not taking no for an answer can be a psycho or a spoiled brat or it can be positive - someone with lots of drive, ambition, perseverence.

I have a copy of "Sex, Power & Murder" - the picture of Chandra with Riordan is beautiful - they both have huge smiles - no signs of any kind of problems.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! You've seen the picture. To me, Riordan telling DeLay this would be at a critical time in terms of Congress and the police investigating Condit in Chandra's disappearance.

By portraying Chandra as obsessed to the person in charge of the House, was Riordan interjecting to protect Condit?

Where did he get this information? Was it a ploy from Condit to derail the investigation? Was it a continuation of Condit's nuts and sluts attack on Chandra?

Is this the good ol' boys circling the wagons when another intern disappears?

Riordan just appeared on an Ethics in Journalism panel. He should account for his ethics in this matter. The matter isn't over yet.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Condit had not lost the election all of Congress would still be supporting him. They don't care what he did, they just want the votes. It might have been good if Condit had gotten re-elected. Then he would have had to face the public everyday.

benn.
rd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condit's gift-giving could be an issue
By MICHAEL DOYLE
BEE WASHINGTON BUREAU
Sunday, July 22, 2001

In a Dec. 23 e-mail sent to one of her graduate school friends, Levy wrote of how a secret boyfriend's generosity enabled her to escape Washington. Levy did not name the boyfriend in the e-mail, but noted that he was involved with Congress.

"My short trip to California wasn't much fun, I was sick when I was in Sacramento, and I only got to go home for one night before I flew back to D.C.," Levy wrote. "The nice thing is that the man I'm seeing took care of my plane ticket for me!"

Zamsky, in a 15-page account of what she says Levy told her, likewise cited airplane travel as one of the gifts Condit allegedly provided.

"Chandra was a very practical young lady, and she didn't need frivolous things, (but) she was going back for her testing in November (or) December," Zamsky recalled. "So he supposedly bought her airline tickets for one of those trips or both of those trips back."

Condit's campaign treasury did not report paying for cross-country air travel during November or December, though his House office account did report paying for Condit to fly from San Francisco to Washington on Dec. 14.

But besides campaign and House office funds, House members also enjoy access to frequent-flier miles accumulated in the course of congressional travel.

House members can give the frequent-flier miles to whomever they want, without any need to make a public report. Condit's trips home to his district amount to more than 100,000 frequent-flier miles a year.

One former Condit employee, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Bee that it was her understanding that the congressman gave his friends frequent-flier miles accumulated in the course of his congressional travel.

end quote

rd
rd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

December 14, 2000 was a Thursday. Condit's expense records show him flying from San Francisco to Washington on a Thursday. That's San Francisco to Washington, not Washington to San Francisco.

Indirectly, based on the fact that Chandra returned to Sacramento for finals in December and was only there for one evening with her family, there is information that indicates that Chandra took her finals December 13.

Transcript: The Levys on 'Larry King Live'
August 15, 2001

KING: Did you that she was having an affair? There was a phone conversation. Dr. Levy, you are heard on videotape -- I think on December 13 -- talking about your congressman friend.

Condit's gift-giving could be an issue
By MICHAEL DOYLE
BEE WASHINGTON BUREAU
Sunday, July 22, 2001

"My short trip to California wasn't much fun, I was sick when I was in Sacramento, and I only got to go home for one night before I flew back to D.C.," Levy wrote. "The nice thing is that the man I'm seeing took care of my plane ticket for me!"

Condit's expense account shows a trip paid from San Francisco to Washington on December 14. Condit likely was already home for Christmas, but if he wasn't yet, he was not flying from San Francisco to Washington on a Thursday.

Michael Doyle had this information on July 22 when he pointed out the expense entry in the July 22 Modbee article. He also pointed out that Chandra had flown back to Sacramento for finals and e-mailed a friend that her friend in Congress had paid for the flight. He handed a gift wrapped ethics violation to Congress, the FBI, and the DC police. What did they do?

Frank Murray reports above on July 29 that Riordan was overheard recently telling DeLay, the man who runs Congress, a story about an obsessed Chandra. When it was clear that Condit had paid for her flight from California to Washington, instead of pressing Condit about her disappearance she was trashed by Riordan to the man who would say whether Condit got investigated.

Michael Doyle's gift wrapped investigation for Congress and the police was trashed as well. It was ignored. As the investigation into Chandra's murder has been ever since.

I'm going to e-mail Michael Doyle this post and a link. I think he deserves some credit and maybe will be interested to see somebody noticed.

rd
blondie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are House office accounts public record? How does one access them?
benn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know exactly what you can find, blondie, but why not start out at www.house.gov

I see they have statutes there. I have never looked around there much, only to find my Congressman. If you can't find what you want you could phone your Congressman. Writing an email might take for ever to get an answer..

benn
blondie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks benn. I couldn't find anything except rules.
benn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blondie, you could phone your Congressman's office nearest to you, and they might be able to tell you. That is what they are for.

rd. Good posts in the sticky section. I just wrote a letter to Senator Boxer about the problems that last article brings up. I told her California should be getting involved in the case.

I also pasted the last article that you posted into my letter.

I told boxer I am going to make a noise.

cheers,
benn
rd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some noise making just in time for New Years! cheers to you too, benn.

rd
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Background Information on Chandra Levy All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: