www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scott had been shopping for kidnappers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laskipper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Scott had been shopping for kidnappers Reply with quote

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/7474283p-8390805c.html

Peterson talked of a kidnap, witness says
Fresno jail inmate gives account during lie detector test.
By Michael Baker
The Fresno Bee
(Published Saturday, September 20, 2003, 4:15 AM)

A Fresno County Jail inmate says accused murderer Scott Peterson broached the idea of kidnapping his wife while meeting with two members of a neo-Nazi gang about a month before a pregnant Laci Peterson disappeared.
Cory Lee Carroll, 34, was interviewed in jail this week by investigators from the Modesto Police Department and the Stanislaus County District Attorney's Office, said Carroll's attorney, Frank Muna.

Muna said he contacted law enforcement after Carroll's account checked out in a polygraph test administered by Muna's private investigator.

Modesto police spokesman Lt. Doug Ridenour said a court-imposed gag order prevents him from speaking about Peterson's case, but in general, it is the duty of law enforcement to follow up on all leads.

"It doesn't matter where or what time; if it has a potential connection to a case we're going to investigate it."

The Stanislaus County District Attorney's Office did not respond to inquiries but has in the past referred to the gag order when questioned about potential evidence.

Peterson's lead attorney, Mark Geragos, also cited the gag order.

"Unfortunately, I can't comment," Geragos said. "I would love to, but unfortunately, I can't."

**SNIP*******

This happened not long after he met Amber.
jane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the Fresno Bee

Peterson talked of a kidnap, witness says
Fresno jail inmate gives account during lie detector test.

By Michael Baker
The Fresno Bee
(Published Saturday, September 20, 2003, 4:15 AM)

A Fresno County Jail inmate says accused murderer Scott Peterson broached the idea of kidnapping his wife while meeting with two members of a neo-Nazi gang about a month before a pregnant Laci Peterson disappeared.

Cory Lee Carroll, 34, was interviewed in jail this week by investigators from the Modesto Police Department and the Stanislaus County District Attorney's Office, said Carroll's attorney, Frank Muna.

Muna said he contacted law enforcement after Carroll's account checked out in a polygraph test administered by Muna's private investigator.

Modesto police spokesman Lt. Doug Ridenour said a court-imposed gag order prevents him from speaking about Peterson's case, but in general, it is the duty of law enforcement to follow up on all leads.

"It doesn't matter where or what time; if it has a potential connection to a case we're going to investigate it."

The Stanislaus County District Attorney's Office did not respond to inquiries but has in the past referred to the gag order when questioned about potential evidence.

Peterson's lead attorney, Mark Geragos, also cited the gag order.

"Unfortunately, I can't comment," Geragos said. "I would love to, but unfortunately, I can't."

Peterson, 30, has pleaded innocent to two counts of murder that could bring the death penalty. His next court date is his preliminary hearing, set for Oct. 20, to determine whether there is sufficient evidence for him to stand trial.

Prosecutors allege he killed his pregnant wife, Laci Peterson, and their unborn son on Christmas Eve. Their remains washed up in April on the eastern shore of San Francisco Bay.

Carroll's statement is detailed in a memo that summarizes the polygraph exam. The memo, obtained by The Bee on Friday, was written by polygraph examiner and private investigator Melvin W. King, a former Fresno police lieutenant.

Carroll truthfully answered questions during the examination, according to the memo. Polygraph, or lie detector, tests are not admissable in court.

While he questioned how the memo was leaked, Muna said it is identical to the document he received from King.

According to the memo, Carroll gave King this statement:

He met Peterson in November at the east-central Fresno strip club City Lights on Clovis Avenue. The two men watched strippers, talked and played pool before heading to a nearby bar and then a fast-food restaurant.

Peterson, who had discovered Carroll had spent time in prison, asked if Carroll knew anyone who could steal his wife's car. Peterson wanted to report the vehicle stolen for insurance purposes.

Peterson agreed to pay Carroll $300 to set up a meeting with two men Carroll knows as Tony, who goes by the name "Dirty," and Anthony, also known as "Skeeter." The pair, who often live in a beige van with orange and red stripes, are members of the Nazi Low Riders gang.

Peterson met with Carroll and the other two men Nov. 29 at Chili's Grill & Bar in northeast Fresno. The four men went to a nearby motel to continue talking.

Peterson drove a Ford F-150 pickup.

Carroll overheard something about kidnapping and left because he didn't want to get involved. He stayed away about 45 minutes. When he returned, the two neo-Nazi gang members said they were going to take care of something. Carroll said he didn't want to hear anything about it.

In December, Carroll was arrested for violating parole after a conviction for receiving stolen property, records from the California Department of Corrections show.

Carroll said he recognized Peterson later when he saw him on a television report about the Modesto man's arrest.

According to the polygraph report, these questions and answers were given during the examination:

Question: "Have you lied to me about anything during our interview?"

Answer: "No."

Q: "Did you lie when you said you introduced Dirty and Skeeter to Scott Peterson?"

A: "No."

Q: "Did you lie when you said you heard Scott Peterson mention to Dirty and Skeeter something about kidnapping Laci?"

A: "No."

"Mr. Carroll appears to believe his statement about meeting Scott Peterson and introducing him to Tony and Anthony also known as Dirty and Skeeter," the report concludes, while suggesting a second polygraph outside jail if there is further investigation into Carroll's claims.

"I can't confirm or deny anything," King said when asked about the report. "It's been made very clear to me -- I'm under a gag order."

A few things in Carroll's statement match what has been reported in the media.

Peterson owned a Ford F-150 truck, which police took into their possession. And a van similar to the one Carroll said Dirty and Skeeter owned has been described by a witness as being across the street from Laci Peterson's home the day she disappeared. Police have discounted reports of a suspicious van in the neighborhood, saying it belonged to landscapers.

Muna defended his client's statements, saying Carroll had nothing to gain by coming forward. "We've never asked for anything, and we don't plan to," Muna said. "This puts my client in a lot of danger."

Muna said Carroll has been attacked twice since he was released from prison in July. The last time, the attackers told him to keep his mouth shut, Muna said. Muna said he didn't know who the attackers were.

Carroll was arrested Aug. 1 after missing a court date for driving with a suspended license. He is being held without bail because he is on parole.

Modesto Bee staff writer John Cote contributed to this report. The reporter can be reached at mbaker@fresnobee.com or 441-6465.
laskipper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the evidence is mounting against Scott. But then, there was a mountain of evidence against OJ also. Let's just hope they nail the creep.

Wonder if Geragos is rethinking his involvement with this case?

I read that Satanic cults are out/ Nazi bad boys are in.

ls
rd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is intense, skipper. It is right when he met Amber in Fresno, and it was also in Fresno where these talks took place. I discount that the men in the van kidnapped Laci though because three brownskinned men (e.g., Hispanics) were in it, and also because it was seen parked in the street while Laci's dog was running loose. However, I would not be surprised if SP put out offers through people like Carroll about willing to pay for Laci to be kidnapped on Dec. 23 or about the house with the safe being loaded with jewelry and cash and nobody home on Dec. 23, or both. Put out the word that someone will pay if she's kidnapped on a certain day, but she's already kidnapped when someone tries. Sounds like a bad movie plot.

It'll be a major blow to Geragos if the DA can link the defense claims of the brown van being there to SP arranging for it to be there.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember hearing about a case where someone's housemaid did a contract killing her first day on the job? She did most of the cleaning, then answered the telephone.

"Who's this?"

"The maid."

"I didn't know my wife hired a maid. Where is she?"

Turns out the lady of the house was in bed with a man the maid had assumed was the husband, until the phonecall. The man on the phone was outraged that his wife was in bed with another man, and asked the maid if she'd like to make some big money. He told her where to find a gun and instructed her to shoot both the man and woman in bed, which - unbelievably - she did. Then she returned to the phone for further instructions. This involved doing something with the exercise machine in the bedroom.

"There's no exercise machine in the bedroom."

"What number is this?"

Turned out the man had called a wrong number. And the whole conversation had somehow been recorded. The maid was convicted of murder - I'm not sure what happened to the man, or whether his identity was even determined.

This, too, sounds like the plot of a bad movie, but it actually happened.
rd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the man know where she could find a gun?

rd
benn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd, you should be the one to go to Modesto.

Maybe the gun was on the floor beside the exercise machine.

jane, I don't think that ever happened.

benn
jane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gun happened to be kept in the same place (hall closet or something). I heard it on the radio a year or so ago - had no reason not to believe it.

When we had an answering machine with a mini cassette, the odd time we'd have a whole conversation recorded somehow (but without a murder plot).
rd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gun just happened to be in the same place in some random house? And this recording lasted long enough for the following?

An exchange where she is confused as to who the husband is

Being convinced that the husband is calling on the phone and that the man in the bedroom is not the husband

An offer of money to shoot her employer her first day on the job

Negotiations and acceptance of the offer, including amount to be paid

Instructions of where to find a gun

Time for her to find the gun, check if its loaded and the safety is off, walk into the bedroom, and shoot two people to death in bed

Come back to the phone and continue this conversation, which now involves further instructions concerning an exercise machine

Determine that there is no exercise machine and that he called the wrong number

And somehow a tape recording was made of all this? And you know it's true because you heard it on the radio?

I checked the calendar. It's not April Fool's Day yet, jane... :)

rd
jane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember if it was April when I heard it. I did think it was true, though.

I just tried a search to see if I could find an account - there are lots of real and ficticious stories of maids murdering and being murdered, I found (but couldn't find my story).
rd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this, jane...

Emergency Exit
A lawyer who works in Texas gets a call about an emergency which requires him to immediately fly out of the state for a short period of time. He has no time to pack, so he calls home to tell his wife he is going. The maid answers the call, but is quite hesitant about putting his wife on the phone. After quite a bit of interrogation, she admits that the wife is upstairs in bed with the mailman! The lawyer is furious, and wants to rush right home, but of course there is the emergency he must take care of first.

So instead, he tells the maid to go get the gun from the desk drawer and kill both his wife and the mailman. She protests! The lawyer explains that under Texas law it is legal to kill your adulterous wife and her lover. Using his silver tongue, he finally convinces her to do it. She puts down the phone, and soon the lawyer hears the sound of two gun shots, a scream, some loud thumps, and finally, two splashes.

The maid comes back to the phone. The lawyer asks, "Did you kill them?" "Yes," she replies. The lawyer questions her again, "What did you do with the bodies?"

"I threw them in the pool,'' she responds. There is a brief pause from the lawyer. He asks her, "Did you say the pool?"

"Yes! I threw them in the pool!" she says.

"Pool... Pool!? Ehh err... Heh, heh. Wrong number!"

end quote

Sound familiar? It was posted on a BB as part of "more funny jokes part II". You've been scammed by an urban myth... :)

rd
laskipper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny story, Jane. True or not...

rd, I have wondered for a while if SP didn't inform the men that robbed the neighbors' house that they would be gone for a while and they have jewelry and other valuables.

Maybe a payment in exchange for potential work that Scott wanted done?

We know (?) that wasn't what happened, but maybe Scott gave out some info prior to the 'work' he wanted done, Scott did the work instead, but they went ahead with the robbery?

Isn't it true that one of the robbers is a prosecution witness?

Just random thoughts.

ls
jane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, rd, it's wild that the telephone/maid thing happened more than once!
rd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was stunned at how many Google references there are to a maid in a mistaken identity murder. Apparently men that can afford maids are on the vengeful side... :)

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie, this indformation came out, it's only fair to be able to respond to it. I posted earlier that lacking forensic evidence I wouldn't be surprised if the Modesto DA came up with a "cellmate confession", and danged if they didn't get a prisoner to testify. At least this one passed a lie detector test. Guadinque's accuser didn't, but that didn't seem to make any difference in the desire to pin it on anyone but Condit.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: