www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Chandra Levy Disappearance and Murder: Two Years Now (2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Background Information on Chandra Levy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie, here Condit says what you think. He says he didn't see Chandra the first week of April because he had family in town. What family, Darrell? And the calls? According to Condit, they were Chandra wanting to discuss local politics. Apparently he worked discussions of McVeigh in while "family" was visiting for the week.

rd

Text of Condit's Newsweek Interview
Newsweek
September 3rd Issue

But you were expecting her?

No, I was surprised to see her because I figured she’d be at work. This was the time she told me that she had lost her prospects on the job with the Bureau of Prisons.

So it was a surprise visit?

Yes.

Prior to that, when was the previous visit?

I can’t recall. I mean, a couple of days before that maybe.

At your apartment?

Well, no, it wouldn’t have been—because I was gone.

ABBE LOWELL: Actually, that would have been two or three weeks before.

CONDIT: Yeah, that’s right because I was gone most of April and the first of April I had family in town and so we didn’t—I did not see her. It was the first time I’d seen her in probably three weeks.

You said last night that there were no frantic phone calls in the last week. The cell phone records do reflect that.... But they do show seven calls in the first ten days of April.

To my voice service, because she only had the number of my voice service. She didn’t have my private number. She didn’t have my cell number, nor do she have my pager. It would not be unusual to call my voice service.

She didn’t have your home phone number?

No.

She didn’t have your cell number or private number?

LOWELL: He doesn’t carry a cell number except for now.

CONDIT: I have to now.

Was there any issue [between you at] that time?

I never had a cross word with her. The kind of conversation we had would be—[when Timothy] McVeigh was executed and Juan Garza was executed. She seemed to have a lot of interest in those two things and a lot of more interest in them than I did. So she would talk about that.

You talked about McVeigh—

Yeah, because she was part of—she had something to do with distribution of information.... She might have called and said, ‘Hey, I read they are building a new federal prison down in your district and they are going to employ 350 people,’ and blah, blah, blah. And I might call her back and she might share information with me.... She read all the local newspapers on the Internet. She might call up and say, ‘What’s going on with that crazy mayor in Modesto? He sounds nuts. Let’s talk about it.’ So I know that may sound sort of mundane to you, but that’s sort of the way the conversations took place. There was really no heavy—I mean, we might get into a philosophical discussion about Israel or foreign aid or something like that, but that was pretty unusual.
rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many pager calls the second week of April? We don't know. How many pager calls the last week of March? We don't know. How many pager calls the first week of March? We don't know. Why the emphasis on the first week of April? Because it was reported how many calls were made that week?

The reporters who looked at the Levy's bill and counted the calls to that (202) number said they dropped off in mid-April. The Levy's said there were about twenty calls to that number on their bill. If calls dropped off mid-month that means there were some calls the second week as well as the first. Newsweek's Isikoff says there were no calls to Condit's number in the last week of April. With seven in the first week, that leaves thirteen in the second and third weeks, with most in the second week. Isn't that about one call a day in the first half of April? Why would someone consider it unusual for her to call her boyfriend once a day?

The question is not why she made them in the first week, the question is why did they stop after the second week?

rd
rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very good editorial from Maureen Dowd of the NY Times. Among the excellent commentary she makes is another confirmation that Ramsey sought a search warrant for Condit's apartment but couldn't get it. It's reported that the DA wouldn't even take it to a judge. The political coverup was in effect from the beginning.

Also Ann Rule comments with words of experience on the propriety and necessity of press coverage of any relationship a missing woman may have been involved in when she disappeared.

rd

from www.nytimes.com (fair use)

The New York Times

JUL 11, 2001

The Lost Girls

By MAUREEN DOWD

WASHINGTON -- I went to Barnes & Noble one Saturday a couple of months ago and asked the young guy behind the counter to help me find a book. "I can't remember the title," I told him. "But it's a collection of true stories in which love affairs end with a horrible crime."

He cocked an eyebrow at me. "Mmmm," he said, "having a bad weekend,
are we?"

I blushed at how it sounded. But I was curious why "Empty Promises,"by the crime writer Ann Rule, had been on The New York Times best-seller list for nine weeks.

Ms. Rule, a former Seattle police officer and F.B.I. consultant, often writes about lovely young women who vanish, including the case of Anne Marie Fahey, the secretary of Gov. Tom Carper of Delaware, who disappeared in June 1996. Wilmington was rocked when a wealthy and prominent attorney and friend of the governor was arrested for shooting Ms. Fahey when she attempted to break off an affair with him. The married lawyer got his brothers to help him dump the body in the Atlantic Ocean and when police found blood traces in his house, he claimed that a distraught Anne Marie had killed herself there. He got the death sentence.

I called Ms. Rule to see what she thought about the police story obsessing Washington. She said that even if Gary Condit is not culpable, his relationship with the missing Chandra Levy is integral to figuring out the case, and press interest cannot be dismissed as tawdry or prurient.

"I think this is a very romantic girl, a Monica, an Anne Marie Fahey, one of many unnamed young women who move in the circle of powerful men and don't see how expendable they are," said Ms. Rule from her Seattle home. "They are so naïve they really think they are important to the powerful man."

Mr. Condit's lawyer, Abbe Lowell, who was the House Democratic counsel who stuck up for Bill Clinton during the impeachment inquiry, is trying to play the Clinton card. He's railing at the press for salaciously invading Mr. Condit's privacy. It won't work. Playing the Clinton card barely worked for Mr. Clinton.

This is not merely a scintillating tabloid story. This is the stuff of great drama and novels and journalism through the ages. It's just as legitimate as covering the patients' bill of rights or campaign finance, maybe more so, because here the press has a crucial role in forcing out the truth.

This is a classic story about whether a powerful man can put himself above the law, and about the unappetizing inequity of relationships in Washington between older married officials and young, needy women.

Last Friday night Mr. Condit finally admitted the affair to police, after nine weeks, three police interviews and an intense P.R. campaign by the Levy family to flush him out, including a Washington Post interview with Chandra's aunt giving vivid, sad details of the secret liaison, including the aunt's suggestion that she try to please her lover by arranging his shirts by color and creating a cactus terrarium.

The overly defensive Mr. Condit and the overly deferential D.C. police should be embarrassed that it took two months to have that little
chat.

Even if the Modesto congressman is merely protecting his image, his career should be over. His "political viability," as Bill Clinton once called it, does not rank higher than the life- and-death search for someone he supposedly cared about.

The D.C. police chief, Charles Ramsey, called a news conference yesterday afternoon to say that police were accepting Mr. Condit's offer, "so generously made," to allow them to search his apartment, which they started at 11:25 last night. So generously made?

Chief Ramsey indicated that they had tried to get a warrant earlier and failed. But they should have tried harder to search the apartment of the man in D.C. who was closest to Chandra, especially since he was clearly being less than truthful and helpful.

A Condit ally told Newsweek's Michael Isikoff that the congressman had resisted all pleas from political advisers to acknowledge the affair sooner because he believed he should be protected by his "zone of privacy." Funny, coming from the man who ignored Hillary Clinton's repeated pleas for a "zone of privacy" for her family and voted for an impeachment inquiry during the Monica scandal.

Given the last few years in Washington, any politician who wants a zone of privacy shouldn't lie publicly.

Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company
benn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that Maureen Dowd has a contact address. Maybe we can get some of these people interested in writing something more about the investigation. Ann Rule would probably be harder to contact.

That is interesting Ramsey's statement about asking for a search warrant. There are some reporters who try to dig up the truth when there is a political coverup, but evidently there is not enough money, or fame, or publicity, in this case.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone can find the Bill O'Reilly interview of Sven Jones when Chandra was found, around May 23, 2002, please let me know. I have only a portion of it that I cut and pasted awhile back, but I lost the article with a hard drive failure at some point. thanks.

rd
blondie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Sven have any relatives locally, like a brother?
rd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unless they moved from San Diego as well. Never heard anything from Sven to that effect.

rd
admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moved to top
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Background Information on Chandra Levy All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22

Jump to: