www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Chandra Levy Disappearance and Murder: Two Years Now (2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Background Information on Chandra Levy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately, jane, this is the source that I based Chandra telling Susan he explained it all over the phone. however they are together mid-April. One possibility is that Chandra called from her apartment to the Iseman's during the week. Another is that Chandra called back to Modesto after they returned on Sunday. Another is that it just wasn't told or reported correctly.

However, I think that it is very solid that Chandra didn't confront Condit until her parents were in town and pressuring her about it, that she didn't think it was a big deal because she apparently didn't believe it, and that she immediately lost her internship the next week.

Minister recants story about Condit, daughter
Man Told FBI His Daughter Had Affair With Congressman
By Allan Lengel and Petula Dvorak
Washington Post
July 21, 2001

She said she called Chandra in Washington, told her what Thomas had said and urged her to break off her relationship with Condit. About two weeks before she vanished, Chandra called and told her Condit had "explained it all," Susan Levy said.

end quote

Minister: Daughter had affair with Condit
By JEFF JARDINE
Modesto Bee
Thursday, July 12, 2001

In mid-April, when Susan and Robert Levy were in the Washington area to celebrate their daughter's birthday, Chandra told her mother that she had talked to Condit about the affair described by Thomas and that the congressman had "explained it all" to her, Susan Levy said.
end quote

The ModBee version is very precise about where they were and what they were doing when Chandra told her. The WashPost versiion is not entirely inaccurate, especially if Chandra called her mother during the visit and told her.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd, from articles that have been published about Condit and his girlfriends, there was a lot for Carolyn to be upset about in 1994. His affair with Jennifer Thomas was in the timespan of 1993-1996, according to various articles. Jennifer's son was born Sept. 15, 1994, and the father's name withheld, according to public records. In Jan. of 1994, Gary Condit hired his lover, Joleen Argentini (now McKay) as a D.C. staff assistant, then legislative assistant. She temporarily ended the affair in Aug. and left the job and D.C., but didn't permanently end the affair until 1996.

One article says that Carolyn's mother retired to Tampa, Fl., in the mid-nineties. It's possible that Carolyn went to Tulsa to help her mother pack etc., but it's likely she welcomed the opportunity to get out of the Ceres home and away from her Congressman-wife duties for awhile, if indications of her husbands then-current affairs were filtering through her screen of denial and causing her to feel angry and betrayed.
rd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, and according to the NY Post she asked for a divorce in 1996. It's no wonder. Condit did not have known girlfriends again until the summer of 2000. Joyce Chiang had a secret boyfriend during that time though, until she went skinnydipping in the frigid waters of the Anacostia River in January of 1999 and was found in April.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY Post
June 17, 2001

But in an interview with The Washington Post on Thursday, her mother, Susan Levy, said a relative told her in April the mystery man was Condit, the family's hometown congressman.

The distraught mom then called her daughter and put the question to her point-blank.

"Chandra said, 'How did you know?' " Mrs. Levy said.

The Post has learned the relative in whom Chandra confided - who lives on the East Coast - is reluctant to go public even though she has talked to the family and cops.

This implies that Linda confirmed to Susan that Condit was the guy before Susan and Bob went east for Passover. She didn't tell Bob, however, and he is asking Chandra in the videotape about the congressman. She tells him none of his business, laughing.

It also means that Susan went east to visit Chandra having to deal with OC's story of Jennifer Thomas knowing that Chandra was dating Condit.

I determined that all references to how did you know were before OC Thomas story was made public. Once OC's story was made public, July 12, it was never stated again. Instead, references to OC and then he explained it all are made. I am not sure why that is at all.

I was unable to find the Washington Post articles before June 20 where Susan is originally quoted on how did you know story. If anybody runs across June 8 to June 19 Washington Post articles on Chandra, please let me know.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wait of Their Lives
Bob and Susan Levy Fill Time With Work and Study While They Wait for Their Chandra to Come Home
By Richard Leiby and Petula Dvorak
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, August 26, 2001

The Levys knew for months that their daughter was dating a politician. But
Chandra never named him. She told them the congressman was divorced and in his "late forties," Bob says.

"First she said it was a Southern Democrat," Sue recalls. They pressed for
details. "She kept telling me she had to keep it secret, that in five years she could make it public, that I would understand." (Chandra told confidants about a five-year plan that involved marrying Condit and starting a family with him.)

Their daughter, usually a fan of classic rock, made a tape of Frank Sinatra's romantic numbers. " 'Fly Me to the Moon' – I wondered why she was listening to that all of a sudden," Sue remembers. "She said he listened to it."

In late April, about a week before Chandra disappeared, her mother called her and asked if the congressman she was dating was Gary Condit.

"How did you know?" Chandra replied, according to Sue.

Mother's intuition, she said.

"She told me that she couldn't say his name," Sue says, "that I would eventually understand."

OK, here's my dilemma. I don't know how much of the variance is based on Susan shifting the confrontation closer to Chandra's disappearance as time went by and Chandra remained missing, or reporter's misunderstandings, or my misunderstandings, but I had already disregarded the reports that "how did you know?" occurred in mid-April because Chandra and Susan were together mid-April, and barring a phone call between them within the DC area, Susan couldn't have called her in mid-April.

I placed the call as either the same call she made with OC to warn her about Jennifer Thomas' experience or immediately after, but in any event with those calls made just before they visited for Passover.

Late April, a week before Chandra disappeared, as told to Leiby and Dvorak of the Washington Post in a lengthy feature article, blows that out of the water. That would be about the same time she lost her internship. But more importantly, it would be after "he explained it all" it would seem. Susan has placed that as mid-April, the same as "how did you know?" quite frankly.

I am having to rethink this. It is looking more and more as if Susan and Chandra did not have a heart to heart in person at the spa in Hershey, Pa. but instead after Susan returned to California.

This has some ramifications based on when Condit actually did "explain it all". Is it possible that Condit "explained it all" as theoretically a friend to Chandra as far as Susan was supposed to know? That it's not a given that Susan must know he is the boyfriend for her to call Chandra about Jennifer Thomas and get an "he explained it all" response? And that the mid-April OC Thomas reports means this all this, starting with OC telling her about Condit and his daughter, took place after Susan returned back to California April 15?

I have to look at the statements again and see if there's anything that indicates that any of this took place during their visit. I don't think there is. Susan does say late March early April for OC Thomas talk in one interview, but rest of the reports for that talk are mid-April.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does not explain anything, but it does show that everyone does not think that Otis Thomas lied, and I am wondering why it was so important to the FBI to say that Otis lied. Was the FBI covering up for a Congressman?

Daily News, July 21
Headline: CONDIT EVIDENCE DUMPING PROBED
Key text: Meanwhile, the Levy family puzzled over reports that Modesto preacher Otis Thomas had backed off his statement that his daughter had a bad breakup with Condit. ... Privately, some investigators said they thought Thomas was recanting to protect his daughter, who has refused to speak to the FBI for more than two months, allegedly out of fear.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also benn:

Levy Lawyer Seeks to Interview Condit Relevancy
Petula Dvorak and Allan Lengel
Washington Post Staff Writers
The Washington Post
07-26-2001

In California, meanwhile, FBI agents in Modesto spent the day yesterday
with Otis Thomas, the Pentecostal minister who told the FBI in May that
his daughter had an affair with Condit when she was 18. Last week, Thomas
told investigators that he had fabricated the story, but it is unclear
whether he disavowed all or parts of his account.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When would Chandra have told her dad this?

The Levy's and Stone Phillips
NBC News
August 10, 2001

Stone Phillips: “Before Chandra disappeared, how much did you know about her relationship with the congressman?”
Dr. Levy: “She had told me earlier that she was seeing a divorced congressman from southern California.”

Stone Phillips: “But you weren’t sure exactly who?”

Dr. Levy: “No, no because she was required to mislead us.”

Stone Phillips: “Did she tell you she needed to keep it secret?”

Dr. Levy: “Yes, she told me that she needed to keep it secret and that you know there were certain requirements — she couldn’t meet with whoever it was in public and that she couldn’t take identification with her.

Stone Phillips: “She could not take identification with her?”

Dr. Levy: “Yes.”

Stone Phillips: “Whenever she went to meet him?”

Dr. Levy: “Yes.”

She didn't tell them it was Condit, but she told her dad that she couldn't take her identification with her? The continuation of the interview perhaps suggests she told him this before the Passover week visit.

The Levys may not have known the name of Chandra’s boyfriend in the months leading up to her disappearance, but they sensed Chandra’s excitement about the relationship. The last time they saw her during a trip to Hershey, Pennsylvania, in April, the Levys say their daughter was totally smitten with “her man” in Washington.

Mrs. Levy: “She was in love. Happy.”

Stone Phillips: “Dreamy eyed?”

Mrs. Levy: “Dreamy eyed, definitely. Calling. A lot of phone calls back there.”

Stone Phillips: “You were aware that she was using your cell phone to make calls back to Washington to a boyfriend.”

Dr. Levy: “That’s right.”

Stone Phillips: “When you later looked at the phone bill, after Chandra disappeared, did you recognize the number she called?”

Dr. Levy: “No. We didn’t know what number it was. We just saw it on the phone bill several times.”

I did not realize she told her dad this about the secrecy and not allowed to carry id when she met this secret boyfriend, and not identifying him to maintain the secrecy! I thought Linda was the only one she told about the rules. This is not terribly significant in that she didn't take her id to the gym either, and she wasn't doing anything more formal than going to the gym, but still, telling her dad this is unusual to say the least.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here Paul reconfirms it only being a week after the call before Chandra disappeared, and he is very aware of the timing of the Passover visit. This is even worse than I ever imagined. It looks like Chandra lost her job the very day she told her mom that Condit had "explained it all".

rd

CNN LARRY KING LIVE
Will Chandra Levy Ever Be Found?
Aired July 30, 2001

KATZ: That's correct. That's correct. And the second issue of that has bothered us immensely is the retraction of the statement regarding the affair with -- the supposed affair between the Congressman and his daughter.

KING: That's the minister?

KATZ: The minister, right. And what's really bothersome about this whole thing is that it was only a week between the time that Chandra came back to Susan and said, don't worry, mom, I talked to him about it and there's nothing to worry about. Until Chandra disappeared. And the whole sequence of things are very bothersome.

KING: Do you know Reverend Thomas?

KATZ: Yes, I met him.

KING: And do you believe him?

KATZ: Yes, I believe him.

KING: And why, then, is the daughter -- or was the daughter denying it?

KATZ: I think that clearly the daughter was frightened and, therefore, was not willing to come forward. He sat there in Susan's den and poured his heart out to the Susan, Bob, and I. And the sequence, so far as I see it, in the way that it happened is that he revealed to Susan and the situation between his daughter and the congressman, Susan immediately called Chandra on the phone.

Chandra's response was: I'm big enough to take care of myself. Don't worry about it. And a week later, she called Susan back. Tells Susan, I talked to him about it. It's nothing to worry about. A week after that. Chandra disappears.
rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here the Levy's describe very clearly that on May 5 they do not know who is the congressman is dating their daughter. They only find out by looking at the phone bill after Chandra has disappeared. The signifigance is that there was no he "explained it all" as a boyfriend, only as someone OC Thomas warned them of.

That changes my thinking some. Chandra's internship ended literally in the midst of these phone calls a week before she disappeared.

rd

Transcript: The Levys
Larry King Live
August 15, 2001

KING: So when you hung up the phone, you had no reason to feel any ill will towards him?

B. LEVY: Not really. There was some suspicion. We were looking around to find out who she might be dating, since she didn't tell us. We were thinking about him and some other congressmen.
art

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever read this article about the woman who is accused of planting bones with her dog...she suppposedly helped find bones of Chandra?
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/2343151/detail.html
rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was said to have helped search the year before. These people that say they have assisted in cases are playing word games by saying that calling in "tips" they are assisting the case.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggiefluffy wrote:
MN 19
Susan Levy Interview
Newsweek
August 13, 2001

MRS. LEVY: Early April, end of March. We were talking about daughters in general, and it just kind of came out about his daughter. I didn't tell him anything about whom [Chandra] was seeing because I did not know. But I used a mother's intuitive thing to put two and two together and that's how I knew, and I asked my daughter about it directly afterward on the phone.

--------

Mrs. Levy called Chandra "directly" after the conversation with OT, late March, early April. My hunch is Chandra confronted GC immediately.

maggie

I now believe your hunch is right, maggie, only after Passover week not before. It looks like Chandra did confront him immediately and it appears it might have been on her visit to see him when he came back from California April 24, although with Susan Levy saying Chandra lost her job a few days after telling her "he knows everything" it looks like this all occurred as soon as Susan and Bob returned after Chandra's birthday.

I would also guess that Chandra went to his office the day before, Monday the 23rd, to see about talking to him about another government job. My guess is that she was checking on his return.

I think the "how did you know" call was about the same time as Carolyn's ten minute call to Condit's apartment when he wasn't there.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd wrote, "....It looks like Chandra did confront him immediately and it appears it might have been on her visit to see him when he came back from California April 24...."

Rd, are you saying she lost her internship before she confronted him (on April 24)?
benn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good thinking, jane. I am concerned now about some newspaper reports came out saying that it is now thought that there was no id rule.

That is not a quote. Now I will see if I can find it in the news articles. It is obvious from these articles here that there was a no id rule. Of course Condit may have told the police and the press that Chandra made up the no id rule.

Also why is the FBI so certain that Otis lied? Condit probably told the police a lot of things, and they believed him. I did one thing today. I emailed the NAACP in Modesto and told them that maybe Otis Thomas needs a lawyer. Well, at least they might get interested in Thomas's problem.

I wish we could get the Condit interviews through the Freedom of Information Act.

benn
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Background Information on Chandra Levy All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: