www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DC missing persons web site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryland missing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: DC missing persons web site Reply with quote

is under construction, but have done.

www.dcmissingpersons.org
benn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was taken from a link on the Washington DC Missing Persons website above.

It is better to click on the link than to read this page, but this is a start. The link is below.

This can be edited out later on if it is in the wrong place.

>>> * Unfortunately many problems arise with missing person cases. I have included the following series which outlines many of the problems.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/missing

Key findings

# Police routinely botch missing person investigations and, in more than 100 cases, lose reports. They often ignore cases with obvious signs of foul play.

# Killers in Washington, including up to 30 serial murderers, have used flaws in the system to avoid detention.

# Nearly 100 corpses are without names in Washington, in part because of flaws in the missing person system. Those charged with identifying them have lost records -- and remains.

# Computer systems to track the missing and identify the dead have problems, often producing false matches -- or no leads at all.

Graphics/maps

P-I graphic: The who, what and where of local missing persons cases over the past several years (Acrobat PDF, 66K)

P-I graphic: The NCIC, a database created in part to house missing- and unidentified-person reports. (Acrobat PDF, 165K)

P-I graphic: Details on serial killers in Washington state (Acrobat PDF, 147K)

Details: A county-by-county list of unidentified remains in Washington (Acrobat PDF, 464K)

P-I graphic: Flawed national dental database leaves dead nameless. (Acrobat PDF, 116K)

PHOTO GALLERY

Photos from the series

CONTACT INFO
Lewis Kamb
206-448-8336

Lise Olsen
206-448-8390

Mike Barber
206-448-8018

Missing People
If you have information about anyone in our missing person database, e-mail us

Links to resources and additional information

PROJECT HEADLINES

People go missing, killers go free

Missing-person cases are routinely ignored

County solves case after Kent dodges it

Ex-deputy angry with police

Serial killers prey on 'the less dead'

Suspected or convicted serial killers in Washington

Serial killers prey on 'the less dead'

A comprehensive guide to Washington serial killers

Serial killers: They're not always who we think

In their own words: The twisted art of murder

Records often are as hard to find as a body

Key to dead man's identity in a file all along

Whatever happened to Baby Jane Doe?

Woman clings to faint hope of finding her missing sister

After 21 years, the bones get a name

Flawed national dental database leaves dead nameless

Experts list ways to improve system

Lack of a DNA database hampers police

Links to resources and additional information

Home | Site Map | About the P-I | Contact Us | P-I Jobs | Home Delivery

Seattle Post-Intelligencer
101 Elliott Ave. W.
Seattle, WA 98119
(206) 448-8000<<<<
jane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benn, are we talking about two different Washingtons here?
benn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, jane, I did not understand at first. Yes, that is a little confusing. The link I clicked on at the Washington DC website was for the newspaper in Seattle Washington.

I should have thought about that and said something. Yes, two Washingtons, but working together on missing persons.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benn, all that information is for Washington state, I'm sure. It's from a Seattle newspaper, has a Seattle contact etc. Plus I think we've heard a lot about the various serial killers there; Green River, etc.

The information is interesting and certainly resembles what we saw in Chandra's case though. Add to what I consider just unbelievable lack of followup and strange focus on aspects of SP's behavior (wiretapping his cellphone, trying to prove he was going to run away, etc.), in Laci's case and it isn't encouraging, but surely other police departments can't be as incompetent as the DC police?

rd
benn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Scott is still in custody, rd. That is better than Washington did with someone. They must have had legal grounds for the wiretap on the cellphone.

At least Modesto is not waiting for a tip or a break.

benn
jane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Benn, I did read, a few months back, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer series of articles on missing persons (at the Site you mentioned) - I thought they were excellent and posted many of the articles in the "Issues of Young Missing People" thread, page 2 of this forum. (Internal link below:)

http://www.justiceforchandra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=848
benn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok jane. I was just trying to make use of the Washington DC website, and see if there was anything special there. I could have just posted the link I guess and left all of the text off. The text is sort of an outline of what is on the link

What I am really looking for is someone, or some group, with the experience and expertize to do a paternity test, with the proper legal papers of course. I am certain that there is some group who can, and would, do a paternity test, if they just knew the situation.

I guess it is easier to not take a test than it is to take a test, but this is sort of ignoring all of the evidence. That Seattle website did mention that some police work is not always the best. The police make mistakes like everyone else. That is another reason that I posted it.

benn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: