www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctor's Wife Missing in New York City
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmmaPeel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speaking rhetorically about hitting her over the head.

I don't know...you would think that if she fell from a great height, i.e., a bridge something would be broken! Hitting the water the wrong way can be almost as bad as hitting concrete. If there was nothing but the bruises on her legs (and the police aren't holding something back, then I'd like to know why are they so certain she fell from a bridge.

I think they should have put a picture of Bim out early on. If someone had found him wandering, that could have been another clue. As it is we don't know if he went in the water too or was taken.
fallout

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend and I went down to watch the fireworks on the East River and had some time before the show to walk along York avenue in the neighborhood of Svetlana Aronov.

There are several small parks that overlook the East River between 53rd street and 63rd street. All of these have high iron fences and it would take a climbing effort to get over them. After 63rd there is only Rockefeller University and its adjacent medical facilities. If Svetlana had gone down to the look at the river she would have been walking South of her apartment-not North. And the fences would have prevented an accidental fall.

Only one of these sidestreets leads to the FDR Drive onramp and today was very isolated and creepy. But today is the fourth of July and the police had actually blocked off that road to traffic for the only time this year. On a busy Monday such as March 3 it would have had regular traffic passing by. Still, there are some dead spots there. But I can't imagine Svetlana going down there.

The other streets lead to the small gated parks overlooking the river or to cul de sacs with a high fence at the river. These areas are open to the public but do not permit dogs.

The one pedestrian "bridge" that was mentioned in one of the reports leads to one of these park overlooks. It does not go over the water.

The only way to get on the pedestrian walkway on the 59th street bridge which does go over water is to walk all the way back to 1st avenue away from the river.

There is also a tramway which rides over the river from Manhattan to Roosevelt Island. It is at approximately 60th street. An attendant at each side bolts the riders inside the tram before it goes over on an automatic lift line. I don't think it is possible for someone to open the door from the inside while it is moving over the river.

There was one very elegant apartment building on the East side of York that gave me a little shiver of recognition. Something about the entryway looked like a place I had seen in a strange dream. It is about a block South of the Aronov apartment. There is a lobby desk with a uniformed attendant just inside the door and a service elevator in a small room to the right of that desk: All of this visible from the street. I don't know how closely it resembles the dream beyond that entrance but if there is a certain type of curved hallway before the tenant elevators I would be interested in finding out if the Aronovs knew anyone living in that building.

There are two barges with construction cranes on each side of the 59th st. bridge. These areas seem isolated and if someone got onto one of the barges they could fall or be pushed off. At 2:30 in the afternoon on a bitter cold day it is possible that the entry to these barges might not have been guarded. I can't think of a reason for anyone to go down there except for crazy kids though. Surely not a woman with twenty things to do just looking for a quick place to walk the dog.

The Phipps Garage where the attendant claims that he saw Svetlana and Bym is a little North of the intersection of 68th street and York Avenue. I had looked for it South of the intersection before. So, she must have crossed 68th street to reach this point.

Starting to think that the killer-cabdriver scenario makes more sense at this time. If so he is still out there. There is also the mysterious disappearance of the bank analyst about two months after Svetlana that remains unsolved.

Two similarities that strike me: Both women had recently had plastic surgery; although Svetlana's was a simple mole removal while the bank analyst had had, I think, a facelift and it was weeks before. And both women disappeared in daylight hours..

Cabdrivers in New York City are like migrant workers in California. They are given a quick working visa to do a job that most Americans don't want to do. They come from all over the world and the background checks are not very extensive. There are about 2,500 cab drivers in NYC.

Just a thought.
James
fallout

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I rattled off that 2,500 number pretty quickly. I checked a website called 'Taxi Facts' for New York City Cab Drivers and was surprised to find the following (which makes the point even more interesting):

WHO DRIVES CABS

Drivers greatly outnumber cabs . . .

* There are about 40,000 licensed taxi drivers eligible to drive the 11,787 licensed taxicabs.

. . . but only a fraction work full-time

* 40% of all licensed drivers report having driven a cab 5 or more days in the preceding week. [Survey of drivers renewing their license in December 1993]
* 29% of all drivers report not having driven at all in the previous week.

It's an immigrant industry coming from all over the world . . .

* 89% of new drivers were immigrants, born in 84 foreign countries ranging from Afghanistan to Yugoslavia, Trinidad to Togo, in 1991. (Data on driver applicants is from [1992]. Because data were collected prior to the break up of the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia, those country names are used in the tables.)
* A few nations and regions of the world predominate. Forty-three percent of all applicants for a drivers license in 1991 were born on the Indian subcontinent, including 21% from Pakistan, 10% from Bangladesh and 10% from India. (See Table 2.)
* The national origins of driver applicants has shifted dramatically since the mid-1980s. The proportion from the Indian subcontinent rose from 10% in 1984 to 43% in 1991. The proportion from Africa and the former Soviet Union also grew during this period.
* The proportion of applicants born in the U.S. dropped sharply from 26% in 1984 to 10.5% in 1991. The fraction from the Caribbean fell from 27% to 8%. (See Table 3.)
* The taxi industry draws a phenomenal proportion of all immigrants coming to New York City from Pakistan and Bangladesh -- more immigrants apply for a taxi driver's license than have been arriving each year from these countries over the last decade. The industry is also receiving a significant proportion of immigrants to New York City from Egypt, former Soviet republics, India and Romania.
* Most applicants have spent several years in the U.S.; only 12% report having been in the U.S. for only one year and 11% report two years in the U.S. The median time here is 6 years, i.e., half the applicants have lived in the U.S. for 6 or more years.

Percent of applicants for taxi driver license born in each country, Sept.-Dec. 1991.

. . . and languages spoken reflect the diversity

* 60 languages are spoken among driver applicants. (See Table 4.)
* 24% of all applicants reported having learned English as a child. Of immigrant applicants, 16.1% reported learning English as a child, closely followed by languages from the Indian subcontinent and Africa: Urdu (15.7%), Punjabi (12.7%), Arabic (11.1%) and Bengali (10.6%).
* Though most immigrant applicants learned English before or soon after arriving in the U.S., less than half (43%) said they speak English at home (even in addition to their native language).

Diverse in race and age, but not by sex

* The taxi industry continues to be nearly all male. Only 1.1% of all drivers and a tiny 0.4% of new drivers are women. [Admin.]
* The median age of all drivers is 38; of new drivers is 31. [Admin.]
* 33% of all drivers classify themselves as white, 27% as black, 19% as Indian, 11% as Asian and 10% as Hispanic. The figures for new drivers are different, reflecting changes in national origin: 29% are white, 21% black, 36% Indian, 7% Asian and 7% Hispanic. (Drivers indicate their race/ethnicity when applying for a license. The Indian category, originally meant to refer to Native Americans, is selected by most drivers born in India, Pakistan and Afghanistan, as well as some drivers born in northeastern Africa.)

Most applicants drove before or had retail jobs

* 44% of of those applying for driver licenses in 1991 had driven passengers for-hire before, mainly car services in New York City and/or taxis in another country. Eleven percent said they were returning to drive a NYC taxi again, having let their original license lapse.
* The previous job of driver applicants was most often driving professionally (19.6%); restaurant cooks, cashiers, waiters or other jobs in food-related businesses (15.1%); store clerks, cashiers, bank tellers and other retail jobs (6.1%), or jobless (6.9%).

Why and how drivers come into the industry

* Word of mouth is critical; 73% knew someone who drove a cab and 58% found the owner of the cab they would drive through a friend, relative or neighbor.
* 58% of all applicants in 1991 wanted to drive a cab for two simple and basic reasons: to make money or because they needed a job. One in three named attractive aspects of the job -- liking to drive or the flexibility, independenceor excitement of driving.
* Most applicants saw driving a cab as an opportunity to make money and advance financially. They expected to earn more driving a cab than in their previous job.
* Most applicants also planned to drive "for many years" and hoped to buy a medallion license eventually. But these plans were not fulfilled for most applicants. Despite their plans, 40% were out of the industry by the end of 1993. If industry-wide patterns hold, few of the rest will eventually become medallion owners.
* One in 10 of all prospective drivers in 1991 sought to drive a cab for short-term financial reasons, often reflecting setbacks in their working lives during the recession. These applicants held professional, supervisory or managerial jobs requiring high educational achievement or held skilled crafts jobs (e.g., mechanics) or used creative skills (e.g., artists, musicians and photographers). Many of these applicants expected to earn less driving a taxi than in their previous job, and planned to drive a cab for only a short while.

Turnover is high among new drivers

* In 1993, 23% of first-year drivers left the industry (i.e., failed to renew their licenses), as did 18% of drivers who were licensed for 2 years and 15% of those licensed for 3 years. [Admin.]
* As a result of these turnover rates, half the drivers licensed in 1989 remained licensed at the end of 1993, their fourth anniversary as taxi drivers. [Admin.]
laskipper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those statistics about cabbies give David Letterman a lot of material!
rd

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump to top to compare to Jean-Ann Rudd's disappearance and murder, 'park avenue mystery'.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallout:

Please save me from the maps of new york city on mapquest, difficult to do especially on a dial up connection. There was made mention about the Hampton's in both cases of Aronov and Rudd. Was the direction in which Rudd was travelling was this in the vacinity of the Hamptons? Is this not where Aronov had a house built. I thought I'd read something about Rudd in the Hampton's? Is not the Bridge of Queen's on route to the Hampton's. I don't have a clue, and tried to look up where Rudd was allegedly seen on the train?! Too confusing. Fallout do you know where the fake plastic surgeon lived, the one who killed his patient and stuck her in a cement wall.

Gee this seems a weird kind of coincidence, I have about 50 thousand questions. Am I reading too much the same into these recent murders in New York? What is the talk at the Plaza in the bars about these woman, or is anyone talking?

Board Members

Incidentially for anyone interested, the gathering of the Acadians is happening just down the road here if the board members want to view God's country. Hey did we ever realize we are "board members", something to put our resumes. There is suppose to be one heck of a crew coming from all over the world to the village about 5 miles away. The land of Evangline. Should be a good old time. Come and hear some cajun/acadian tunes.
kate
jane

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate - I wish I could go! Haven't been to the Canadian Maitimes yet, but hope to, eventually.
fallout

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate and others,

I'm sorry I hadn't seen this before. For two of Kate's questions:

1. Yes, the 59th street bridge from Manhattan to Queens is the way to get to the highway that leads to the Hamptons.

2. I think the fake surgeon who killed the Filopeno woman had an apartment in Manhattan where he did the work but then later bought a house in New Jersey where the body was discovered.

I didn't know about the other case. Going to that thread now to read about it.

There is no news as of the end of April 2004 about Svetlana's death. Her friend is now my dentist (the best dentist I've ever been to! Totally painless).
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallout guess you have found the King of Snow, your Dentist. Ironic that most people say the Dentist hurts, and I've not had that experience, guess I've been lucky. Good to hear from you.

I find it rather coincidential that Aronov went to the Detmatologist or Plastic surgeon the day she died to have the mole removed, and hearing another story about a woman who is killed by her pseudo Surgeon.

Also the other woman who is married to a real estate broker who was missing, although she appears to have been emotional disturbed, or in the throws of a nervous breakdown. Sounds like a copy Kat murder so to speak, or the both men hired the same guy to murder their wives. I know there are allot of people in New York, but these coincidences always defy my imagination. Both women went missing on the route to the Hamptons, well the one woman would have had to catch a subway near the Hampton bridge as this is the only way across to the Hamptons. I'm wondering if they might have lived close to one another, Arnov's house in the Hampton's and this other woman.

WEIRD.
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane can't believe you haven't been to God's country. I'm certain that we live in the most beautiful and peaceful place on earth, granted it is no paradise with the weather we have, but I know we can't have everything.

Hopefully you will make it down here sometime, cause it is worth the visit.
kate
jane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate - it's funny, but I missed a chance to go to the Maritimes with my parents when I was in my teens. My math teacher had thrown one of those huge wooden (for the blackboard) protractors at my head (missed!) and threw my books after me when I left the classroom, so I stopped going to math and had to take it at summer school, thus missing what turned out to be my only chance so far to go to N.S. etc.!
rd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure she was nonplussed about something that divided you, perhaps doing just a fraction of what you were capable of. It doesn't add up. What was the problem?

rd
jane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was a novel teaching method - chuck the knowledge into my head (he should have aimed better!)

I had a reputation among the other teachers as a smartalec, but the ironic thing is, I was afraid of Mr. Singh and never did anything out of line in his class. I was having trouble catching on to binomial equations I think they're called - I had tried to do my homework on scrap paper but couldn't do it - I was up at the board trying to do a problem - he looked at my notebook which had no sign of my having tried to do the homework - he told me to sit down, then winged the protractor at me. The office told me his wife had given birth the night before, so I guess he was tired and cranky.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably threw it at the wrong angle. By no means should that be an acceptable substitution for his function. Still, I see you've come to terms with it. Too bad that was such a factor in getting to visit N.S., jane.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he was demonstrating a vector (one of my husband's profs used a piece of chalk flying through the air as an example of a vector - much safer!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: