www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chandra's Remains to be returned to her Family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fallout

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Chandra's Remains to be returned to her Family Reply with quote

Levy's remains to be returned to Modesto, godparents say

Chandra Levy

By MICHAEL DOYLE
BEE WASHINGTON BUREAU
Published: May 22, 2003, 08:46:00 AM PDT

WASHINGTON -- Chandra Levy's remains are being prepared for return to Modesto, where a private burial service could occur within the next week, her godparents say.

The timing remains unclear, and members of Levys' immediate family could not be reached Wednesday.

But with today marking the one-year anniversary of the discovery of Levy's remains in a Washington, D.C., park, officials acknowledged that the long-awaited transfer is imminent. It is occurring as those who loved Levy wonder what comes next for the long-stalled investigation into her murder.

"I think it's helpful" to some family members, Levy's godfather, Charles Iseman, said Wednesday of the remains' transfer, but "I would not use the word closure."

Fran Iseman, Charles' wife and Levy's godmother, became close friends with Levy's mother, Susan, when they were teen-agers. Fran Iseman spoke at the May 2002 memorial service in Modesto for Chandra Levy.

For the most part, though, the Isemans have stayed out of the public spotlight in the two years since their goddaughter disappeared.

Fruitless investigations

But over time, they have grown increasingly frustrated at two fruitless investigations, one by police and one by private investigators working for Levy family attorney Billy Martin.

"We think people have averted their eyes," Fran Iseman said, "and we think all the evidence has not been fully looked at."

At one point, Martin hired three renowned forensics experts -- but they have not been able to complete their work.

Dr. Henry Lee reiterated Wednesday that he and his colleagues did "a visual inspection" using magnifying glasses that magnified the Levy bone fragments by up to 10 times.

However, they were not able to examine the fragments with a microscope, which would have magnified the fragments by 100 to 400 times or even more.

Lee said the team also was not able to conduct chemical tests on the bones, review clothing fragments or biological samples or see videotapes of the rugged Rock Creek Park site where the remains were found.

"It's a total outrage that these things have not been done," Charles Iseman said. "We think it's vital that the investigation be reinvigorated by an independent team" of lawyers and private investigators.

Lee said the question of why certain tests had not been performed was up to the lawyers.

"We cannot just walk in and conduct an investigation," Lee said Wednesday.

Martin has not returned phone calls over the past week seeking an update on the case.

Never called to testify

Fran Iseman also wonders why a Washington-based grand jury never called her to testify, though she was close to Chandra Levy, who, with her parents, spent her 24th birthday at the Isemans' place about two weeks before the disappearance.

Levy's aunt, Linda (Zamsky) Katz, likewise said she was not called to testify, even though she said Chandra Levy confided in her about an affair with then-Rep. Gary Condit of Ceres. Condit, defeated for re-election last year, has stopped denying published reports that he told police about the affair.

Police repeatedly said Condit was not a suspect in Levy's disappearance. Apart from the disappearance, classified as a murder once Levy's remains were discovered, investigators have said they are interested in whether anyone obstructed justice.

The grand jury subpoenaed three of Condit's former staff members to testify. Condit also was summoned last year but did not testify. According to The Washington Post, citing unnamed law enforcement sources, Condit "chose to exercise his right not to appear before the panel."

Charles Iseman said it is his fervent hope that the Justice Department perseveres in the case.

"The cry for justice for Chandra screams out to the heavens," Fran Iseman said.

Bee Washington Bureau reporter Michael Doyle can be reached at (202) 383-0006 or mdoyle@mcclatchydc.com.
benn

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallout

This article was posted at the Chandra Levy two years topic I think, but that is all right. This is a good article. Maybe the people who have wanted to coverup finally had to let go of the remains.

This is a good article. It shows that maybe the grand jury is not working right. The grand jurors have to do their job, but if they don't have the people to question, they can not question them. It looks like none of Chandra's family or friends were questioned by the grand jury except her parents. Paul and Linda Katz had testimony that would have said that Jennifer Baker was intimidated by one of Condit's aides, so Jennifer was afraid to say any more publicly.

I wrote a letter to Senator Diane Feinstein today telling her about the article and pointing out that Jennifer Baker had been intimidated. I don't expect much to happen from a Senator, they get too much mail, but they can't ignore everything.

Anyway I think things are going to warm up. We are going to start getting some answers, not because Washington wants to give them to us but because too many people are going to start asking questions.

Quote:
Charles Iseman said it is his fervent hope that the Justice Department perseveres in the case.

"The cry for justice for Chandra screams out to the heavens," Fran Iseman said.

Maybe Senator Feinstein will answer my letter, but Senators get too much mail.

Two if by sea,
One if by land.

benn
propria

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtg, benn ...

however, i don't think the volume of her mail is going to be your major obstacle in hearing from feinstein ... she's a democrat who worked closely with condit, and is reported to be friends with him, and that's going to have a lot more impact on her willingness to respond than her mail volume. i repeatedly called feinstein's office, along with boxer's and pelosi's, two years ago when all of this was breaking news and i got the royal brushoff every time i tried to approach that tight knit political circle. i spent half of yesterday trying to pry some kind of response out of john ashcroft's office [which i learned you can't actually call, but you can talk to various departments under his authority], the justice department and the fbi. the bottom line on all my calls was that we're going to need a foia request to get anything at all out of them, so i'm thinking we need to start a list of what we want from such a request ... there's a cost involved so i'm planning to do some research to see if i can cover that ok or if it's going to be exorbitantly expensive.

i couldn't help noticing that with every request i'd be put on hold for several minutes, which seems a bit out of the ordinary to me, and that the woman who answered my call at the fbi actually laughed out loud when i asked for a status on the levy investigation ... that just irked me no end, even if she was laughing at something going on around her, as i find nothing whatsoever laughable around the levy matter. i find it interesting that her remains are being returned now after such a long time ... i wonder if they've actually completed some process for which they kept them or if the recent references to this case have 'em worried that they can't just hold on to 'em forever, so they've released 'em. i sure hope that the levy family will have investigators waiting to examine those remains before they're buried ... we might not be able to get the results of such an examination, but chandra's family certainly deserves any information that can be gained from them.

nanci
benn

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nanci

Well, I don't know about Senator Feinstein and Condit. I know that Feinstein said at least once that Condit had lied to her. It is a little strange that Feinstein was also friends with Supervisor Dan White before White went beserk. Feinstein was a Supervisor at that time. As President of the Board of Supervisors Feinstein became acting Mayor when Mayor Moscone died in his office.

But certainly Feinstein had nothing to do with that. She was trying to mentor Dan White a little, and if he had listened more to Feinstein he would never have gotten into trouble.

I tried to emphasize the intimidation of Jennifer Baker, mentioned in the ModBee article, in my letter to Feinstein. That would be a crime right there, if the legal authorities pursued it. We don't know what happened to Otis Thomas, if the FBI intimidated him or not.

Speaking of you being laughed at (or maybe ignored) by the FBI office I am reading a book Special Agent, by Candice DeLong, which is about her 20 years as an FBI profiler.

From what she says about FBI "watering holes," and living with her boyfriend, I don't think FBI agents set very high standards.

Let us know more about your trying to communicate with Ashcroft. I thought about contacting him. The grand jury in Washington does not seem to be functioning since they did not question all of the witnesses from the Levy family. That is not the grand jurors fault, the prosecutor is deciding that.

The grand jury system, with a prosecutor directing a grand jury, seems vulnerable to hanky panky.

You are trying to contact Ashcroft, have you tried contacting Judicial Watch? They might listen to you.

It is strange that in the article I just posted: A Followup To Linda Zamsky's Statement? Geragos says, "All roads lead away from Gary Condit."

Let us know what happens with Ashcroft, so we can make the same mistakes, or follow your good example. ...:)

benn
fallout

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanci!

I think that laughter was out of nervousness. The folks who answer the phone may have been warned at one time about answering questions about the case and now that its been so long since somebody dared to call them they reacted naturally. I don't think they were laughing at you but at the whole absurd situation. Good for you!!!!!

And you too Benn!

Maybe I'll get on the phone tomorrow and they'll think its some kind of avalanche and they'll tell their supervisors.

Will the dream team get a few moments with the remains now? That would be interesting. Sounds like Billy Martin doesn't want them to look to closely at the facts if you read the two Mod Bee articles. God Bless Mike Doyle. He felt the urge to write about it on the anniversary.

James
benn

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallout

I emailed Mike Doyle within the last week, and he answered. He just thanked me for the note and taking the time to write. Those professional reporters get used to writing short emails.

We all should write him once in a while, let him know what each of us are concerned about. They have to sell newspapers so he is going to listen a little bit.

I am optimistic, but maybe too optimistic.

They seemed to want to hang on to the remains. Maybe they were waiting for a tip, or maybe they did not want anyone else to look at them.

When Geragos says in July of 2001 that everything points away from Condit, that seems to point to coverup. Just my opinion. Martin works for a law firm, so he is not all his own man.

Good searching.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that the burial is set for a week away when the forensic investigators said they never got a chance to do the investigative work they needed to do. What an obstruction of justice. Store the body, don't let experts examine the evidence, and wait it out. They've been doing that from the beginning. I read one police leak that the DA prevented the police from getting a search warrant of Condit's apartment. Instead, the police could only search the dumpster behind Condit's apartment. Condit left the floor of the House at that time and was next heard from by his other mistress at midnight telling her he was not in the area and couldn't talk to her. She later identified from the caller id that he had called from McDonald's in Luray, Virginia, home of Luray Caves.

Three votes that day are the only votes he missed all year. Rock Creek Park also started being searched that day after the Levy's had arrived in town and answered questions for three hours the day before. Something made Condit bolt from the floor of the House, the same House chambers he sought refuge in the rest of the summer, at 10:30 in the morning to go to Luray. Was that his trip to San Diego?

rd
benn

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd

Who can we write to to complain about the DA not getting a warrant to search Condit's apartment? I can write to Senator Feinstein, but I don't know if that is the right place to write to.

Gerago said on a Larry King Live program in July 2001 that everything pointed away from Condit. Maybe he was trying to go to work for Condit then.

The problem with the Grand Jury system is that the DA runs it, and if he wants to protect someone he just doesn't call witnesses, or get search warrants. Of course the DA not getting a search warrant for Condit's apartment was before the grand jury ever started investigating.

It just looks like coverup. No one in Washington wanted to do anything. I would like to see transcripts of what the police and FBI asked Condit when they questioned him. I am just guessing that their questions to Condit were much the same as the media's questions to Condit, not too good.

Answering my own question about who we could write to to complain about the DA not requesting a search warrant to search Condit's apartment, I guess we could post that in a general opinion comment on the Internet, and then take the flack that the comment would produce.

That might open the subject up for discussion, if the libel and slander lawyers did not get busy right away. I don't know too much about that freedom of speech bit, but we should be entitled to our opinions, even if our opinions are wrong. Condit tried to intimidate witnesses from day one.

Happy Memorial weekend.
benn
rd

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the evershifting quicksand of justcie in DC, benn, the DA has changed at least once since they stopped the search. Probably got rewarded for protecting Congress, same as Gainer did.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: