www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rdwrites iseries blog
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> www.rdwrites.com forum (part of www.justiceforchandra.com)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maintaining an existing RPG program in RPG makes sense. If you are writing a new application, I don't know why you wouldn't consider another language. More than the language itself, new modern languages have incredible access to integrate thousands of features in packages and libraries that can't be accessed from RPG.

If we needed features, we would have them. There are no missing features where I say gee, if only I was writing in some other spiffy language I would have feature x to use.

Now a lot has to do with user interface architecture, most of my programming is back end business logic. I think web interfaces on the i are better done with any myriad of products for that such as Profound UI, BCD, look, and on and on, but of course Websphere and Java app servers in general get a giant share of it.

In any event, I could and many of us have done just about anything with anything, and by anything I mean all the way down to next to nothing, so line it up and we could make it work. But if you're serious about high performance business processing, and if you're not then it doesn't matter, but if you are then ILE RPG on IBM i is the top solution.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are people claiming to have RPG to C# and C++ conversion software although the code generated is probably a nightmare...

I don't see why it would be a nightmare. I've converted (all personal code) RPG to Java and 8086 to Java and RPG. With the Java I broke the code up into classes (I have commented on this in past including the Java classes that made up the program, yes it was object oriented). However the C or any other procedural subset maps cleanly to RPG procedural, you'd want a lot of helper functions to simulate RPG functionality.

Also Java to RPG. I converted a substantial multiple classes program I wrote in Java to RPG. Data structure arrays instead of object instances. No big deal.

Back in the day when SSA ported BPCS to Unix they converted some of the larger programs to C to run cross platform using a commercial tool. This stuff is not rocket science and if you can read C you can read RPG and vise versa.

Even RPG II left hand indicators are just IF statements and when they are back to back you collapse the IF statement to surround the group. Same as any code in any language once you get to a module that actually does something.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> www.rdwrites.com forum (part of www.justiceforchandra.com) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: